HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

The Ultimate Coaching Poll

View Poll Results: Who will be the next Capitals Coach?
Tom Renney 2 0.00%
Marc Crawford 8 0.00%
Mark French 1 0.00%
Paul Maurice - KHL bound 7 0.00%
Ron Wilson 8 0.00%
Craig MacTavish - Hired by Edmonton 22 0.00%
Guy Carbonneau 6 0.00%
Mike Keenan 2 0.00%
Michele Therrien - Hired by Montreal 2 0.00%
Andy Murray 2 0.00%
Dallas Eakins - Staying with Marlies 8 0.00%
Bob Hartley - Hired by Calgary 10 0.00%
Jim Johnson 6 0.00%
Terry Murray 0 0%
Mike Sullivan 0 0%
John Hynes 0 0%
Adam Oates 777,777 99.99%
Patrick Roy 4 0.00%
Craig Ramsay 2 0.00%
Larry Robinson 3 0.00%
Jacques Martin 2 0.00%
Jon Cooper 7 0.00%
Mike Haviland 1 0.00%
Other 7 0.00%
Teflon Dean Evason - Hired to coach Milwaukee (AHL) 0 0%
Voters: 777887. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-07-2012, 10:18 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
I just personally hate the guy and find it embarrassing that he's associated with the team I like. I also don't trust him to judge...anything very well. He may let the hockey people make hockey decisions, but how those hockey people are managed and who they are is up to him ultimately. I don't trust him to handle it well at all. I think he's legitimately a moron. Anyone can succeed in business.
What a post man...what a post....

At some point when you get into the real world, you'll realize morons don't run successful businesses at this level. You'll realize that anyone CAN'T succeed in business (at Ted's level), that it takes hard work and business acumen and a lot more...

If it's that bad, you should probably switch teams. Reality, is that Ted is one of the better owners in major pro sports. And yes, I'm as disgusted as anyone with regards to McPHee's continued chances/failure, but I can still recognize a good owner vs a bad one.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:28 AM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
I just personally hate the guy and find it embarrassing that he's associated with the team I like. I also don't trust him to judge...anything very well. He may let the hockey people make hockey decisions, but how those hockey people are managed and who they are is up to him ultimately. I don't trust him to handle it well at all. I think he's legitimately a moron. Anyone can succeed in business.
Yo man, if its so easy, you should buy the team and run it. You should also be GM too cause its really easy as well

G3 LesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 10:35 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
Yo man, if its so easy, you should buy the team and run it. You should also be GM too cause its really easy as well
He means it in the way that you can be an idiot and still succeed in business if you're shameless/lucky/in the right place at the right time/can get people to buy what you're selling. Which is absolutely true. Look at Trump. There are a ton of successful businessmen out there who are not critical thinkers by any stretch. We are just conditioned to idolize and deify any and all successful businessmen as pinnacles of human achievement by the corprotocracy. Dennis Ritchie died the same week Steve Jobs did.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 11:19 AM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Uncle Teddy annoys the **** out of me, a lot, but I credit him with showing other yahoo local sports team owners (LiL Danny) that building a winning team through the draft is possible. The Skins are now better using the draft, and the Nats have built themselves into a contender with a lot of home grown talent. Uncle Teddy showed it can be done.

WetHog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 03:39 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
He means it in the way that you can be an idiot and still succeed in business if you're shameless/lucky/in the right place at the right time/can get people to buy what you're selling. Which is absolutely true. Look at Trump. There are a ton of successful businessmen out there who are not critical thinkers by any stretch. We are just conditioned to idolize and deify any and all successful businessmen as pinnacles of human achievement by the corprotocracy. Dennis Ritchie died the same week Steve Jobs did.
Yeah basically. I am shocked that CCF responded in the way he did. As far as I can tell, Ted is just another fat schemer with no actual talent. Also, a quick glance at his wikipedia entry reminded me that he wrote a book called The Business of Happiness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul
I was obviously talking about how he made the money he used to buy the Capitals.

Last edited by Liberati0n*: 06-07-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 05:20 PM
SDBondra

Is Ted Nolan a complete impossibility? I freaking love that guy.

SDBondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 05:29 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I support getting Ted Nolan because he might try to get McPhee fired.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:25 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Well, scratch Paul Maurice off the list.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:31 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

I don't want Eakins anymore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=1BPsaKNqBXc#!

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 08:58 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Well, scratch Paul Maurice off the list.
And according to Dreger, he talked to McPhee but was never in the running. Interesting. Means that a) McPhee has vetted multiple candidates b) He has at least a somewhat short list c) Candidates are at least considering Washington

Promising. Let's hope he gets a good one after all this.

Old
06-08-2012, 09:00 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Yeah basically. I am shocked that CCF responded in the way he did. As far as I can tell, Ted is just another fat schemer with no actual talent. Also, a quick glance at his wikipedia entry reminded me that he wrote a book called The Business of Happiness.

I was obviously talking about how he made the money he used to buy the Capitals.

Why are you shocked, because I criticize about McPhee, but I'm not bashing Ted by calling him a fat moron? I could get into some discussions about his actual accomplishments or failures, but when I see comments that are personal attacks, they simply come off as kids on the Internet showing off their epeen.

You can go on believing he's a moron who got lucky, but you would be wrong. If there's one thing we can all be sure is that Ted's a competent businessman. Competent team owner, that's another question still to be answered. He's certainly got them on the right financial track. Winning a championship is still TBD....

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 09:07 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Why are you shocked, because I criticize about McPhee, but I'm not bashing Ted by calling him a fat moron? I could get into some discussions about his actual accomplishments or failures, but when I see comments that are personal attacks, they simply come off as kids on the Internet showing off their epeen.
I was clearly being sarcastic. It was the exact response I would have expected from someone like you.

Quote:
You can go on believing he's a moron who got lucky, but you would be wrong. If there's one thing we can all be sure is that Ted's a competent businessman. Competent team owner, that's another question still to be answered. He's certainly got them on the right financial track. Winning a championship is still TBD....
Competent businessman =/= actually competent. That's the point.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:17 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

murice was on my short list so IDK who i want to coach now

intersting to hear GMGM interviewed him. guess he didnt like what he saw.

Ovechkins Wodka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:23 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post

Hopefully he decided based on more than just looks

Old
06-08-2012, 10:31 AM
third man in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post

It probably went something like this... GMGM: I want to trap in all situations. PM: I don't want to do that. GMGM: get the f out of my office.
The search continues.

third man in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 10:41 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by third man in View Post
It probably went something like this... GMGM: I want to trap in all situations. PM: I don't want to do that. GMGM: get the f out of my office.
The search continues.
GMGM wouldn't give him an out clause for when he wants to go back to CAR in 3 years.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 01:03 PM
Otter

I want Knuble to coach the team. I am basing it on this quote that was in the Washington Post:

“Finding someone who can go between Bruce’s style and Dale’s style, I think, is key,” Knuble said. “The Caps have a lot of skilled players who don’t have to play so conservatively all the time; you can be a little more aggressive at the start of the game. I think you’ve got to let them go be the world-class talents that they are. Then you work to get everybody playing defensive when the situation calls for it.”

“The next coach will be able to handle the stars. He’ll deal with Alex, keep him going in the right direction, but at the same time make sure that he has a great relationship with him,” Knuble said. “I think the young guys are getting older and they can be dealt with without kid gloves and I think that was established this year. You can ruffle some of the guy’s feathers, say things that they might not want to hear. They’re not kids anymore.”

Dude seems to have a great grasp of the situation.

Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 01:44 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
I want Knuble to coach the team. I am basing it on this quote that was in the Washington Post:

“Finding someone who can go between Bruce’s style and Dale’s style, I think, is key,” Knuble said. “The Caps have a lot of skilled players who don’t have to play so conservatively all the time; you can be a little more aggressive at the start of the game. I think you’ve got to let them go be the world-class talents that they are. Then you work to get everybody playing defensive when the situation calls for it.”

“The next coach will be able to handle the stars. He’ll deal with Alex, keep him going in the right direction, but at the same time make sure that he has a great relationship with him,” Knuble said. “I think the young guys are getting older and they can be dealt with without kid gloves and I think that was established this year. You can ruffle some of the guy’s feathers, say things that they might not want to hear. They’re not kids anymore.”

Dude seems to have a great grasp of the situation.
He's talking about Evason if anything.

People around here just want a new shiny toy to tell them what they want to hear, Dale Hunter did that, he said hard on the forecheck, hard on the backcheck. Got neither, let teams stroll into the Caps zone.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 01:56 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
He's talking about Evason if anything.

People around here just want a new shiny toy to tell them what they want to hear, Dale Hunter did that, he said hard on the forecheck, hard on the backcheck. Got neither, let teams stroll into the Caps zone.

Hunter coached hard on the forecheck?

jackiechanwtf.gif.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 02:01 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
Hunter coached hard on the forecheck?

jackiechanwtf.gif.
Uhhh he said he wanted a hard forecheck and hard backcheck, which was working for the Blues and Devils. We got it for a couple of games and they didn't win, so they change to another system win a couple lose a couple, new system new lines lose again new system new lines lose again etc. Starts workings.... Backstrom injured, **** sucks again.

I had more fun watching the 05-06 06-07 Capitals then this one. At least that ****** coach knew who his best player was.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 06:48 AM
Otter

I am not "people around here".

Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 07:11 AM
fsnoles98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Uhhh he said he wanted a hard forecheck and hard backcheck, which was working for the Blues and Devils. We got it for a couple of games and they didn't win, so they change to another system win a couple lose a couple, new system new lines lose again new system new lines lose again etc. Starts workings.... Backstrom injured, **** sucks again.

I had more fun watching the 05-06 06-07 Capitals then this one. At least that ****** coach knew who his best player was.
Hunter took us how far? In only a 1/2 year when the WHOLE team was playing like $hit. You might not have liked his style or maybe disagreed because he didn't play your favorite player, but he got the team to believe in a system being it right or wrong, they grew as a team. The coach is with the team night and day. He knows who is practicing and playing hard and who can play his system the best, he is not sitting behind some key board playing Monday morning QB. I liked Hunter as a coach, maybe not his style, but he got a team to actually believe in a system and trust each other in it which was a good thing. Now, we have no system, no coach and are looking more lost then any NHL team going into the draft.

fsnoles98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 11:34 AM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
Hunter took us how far? In only a 1/2 year when the WHOLE team was playing like $hit. You might not have liked his style or maybe disagreed because he didn't play your favorite player, but he got the team to believe in a system being it right or wrong, they grew as a team. The coach is with the team night and day. He knows who is practicing and playing hard and who can play his system the best, he is not sitting behind some key board playing Monday morning QB. I liked Hunter as a coach, maybe not his style, but he got a team to actually believe in a system and trust each other in it which was a good thing. Now, we have no system, no coach and are looking more lost then any NHL team going into the draft.
this was the worst team in years what are you talking about

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 11:43 AM
thewill78

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
Knocking out the defending champs and one game away from the Eastern Finals where we should have already been if Ward didn't take that dumb penalty is considered having he worst team in years? I guarantee that if we beat New York we could have easily beaten the Devils.

thewill78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 12:25 PM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
Wat?

This was the best I have seen the caps play in the playoffs. By far. Hunter got them playing a system. I was very impressed

G3 LesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote