HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

The Ultimate Coaching Poll

View Poll Results: Who will be the next Capitals Coach?
Tom Renney 2 0.00%
Marc Crawford 8 0.00%
Mark French 1 0.00%
Paul Maurice - KHL bound 7 0.00%
Ron Wilson 8 0.00%
Craig MacTavish - Hired by Edmonton 22 0.00%
Guy Carbonneau 6 0.00%
Mike Keenan 2 0.00%
Michele Therrien - Hired by Montreal 2 0.00%
Andy Murray 2 0.00%
Dallas Eakins - Staying with Marlies 8 0.00%
Bob Hartley - Hired by Calgary 10 0.00%
Jim Johnson 6 0.00%
Terry Murray 0 0%
Mike Sullivan 0 0%
John Hynes 0 0%
Adam Oates 777,777 99.99%
Patrick Roy 4 0.00%
Craig Ramsay 2 0.00%
Larry Robinson 3 0.00%
Jacques Martin 2 0.00%
Jon Cooper 7 0.00%
Mike Haviland 1 0.00%
Other 7 0.00%
Teflon Dean Evason - Hired to coach Milwaukee (AHL) 0 0%
Voters: 777887. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-22-2012, 05:10 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
* Remember that Oates left a very unhappy camper.
* Remember that most of these people know each other. Its rare for a GM to hire a head coach that he doesnt know as its rare for a head coach to hire assistant coaches that he doesnt know.
* McPhee is not risk averse. It might be that he's not the wild wheeler-dealer that some want him to be, but he kept boudreau when it was widely expected he would be fired. hiring dale hunter was risk averse? it was risk personified. he has gone into the last three playoffs with rookies goalies. thats risk averse? its certainly not the safe play.
You can disagree with these moves and other things along the lines of his commitment to his youth, but the roles that he has given to varly, neuvy, holtby, alzner, carlson, johansson, and beagle among others was aggressive to very aggressive use of his youth when established veterans would have been much more conventional.

his not risk averse at all. he's just not bold the the direction that you want him to be.
I think you're mistaking overconfidence for risk averse. McPhee was confident those young goalies could carry them when needed. He wasn't rolling the dice and being "risky" as you would have us believe.

Hiring Hunter was about as low risk as it gets for McPhee. If you're confident you're safe in your position like he is, hiring the franchise hero as a stopgap coach isn't risky.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:20 PM
Langway
Intangibles

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: This may have been out there but passing on: Caps have interviewed Norfolk head coach Jon Cooper #tsn #nhldraft

Confirms the original Gormley report. Based on some of GMGM's comments this week I'd guess it's wrapped up next week.

Last edited by Langway: 06-22-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:41 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

makes sense....can't believe GMGM would go into Jul 1 without a coach, unless he's not signing any free agents...

Old
06-22-2012, 05:48 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
I think you're mistaking overconfidence for risk averse. McPhee was confident those young goalies could carry them when needed. He wasn't rolling the dice and being "risky" as you would have us believe.

Hiring Hunter was about as low risk as it gets for McPhee. If you're confident you're safe in your position like he is, hiring the franchise hero as a stopgap coach isn't risky.
Saying that's him being confident without him recognizing it as a risk is suggesting he's much less intelligent than he seems to be, which I think is a mistake.

The types of risk he seems willing to take aren't the type of risk we want him to take, to be sure. Sacrificing the now for the later (by relying on younger players) is still a risk because the now is what pays the bills.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-22-2012, 05:53 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

They aren't risks if you believe in them and I FIRMLY believe he's at worst supremely confident in his moves/choices. He's done it how many years in a row (rolling with unexperienced goalies)?

I recognize it as a risk, so do you, but I don't think McPhee thinks of it that way. When the team was reeling last year, what was his response? "We're undefeated with my roster when healthy" (paraphrasing)." The guy is sure of himself, right or wrong.

Old
06-22-2012, 05:57 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
They aren't risks if you believe in them and I FIRMLY believe he's at worst supremely confident in his moves/choices. He's done it how many years in a row (rolling with unexperienced goalies)?

I recognize it as a risk, so do you, but I don't think McPhee thinks of it that way. When the team was reeling last year, what was his response? "We're undefeated with my roster when healthy" (paraphrasing)." The guy is sure of himself, right or wrong.
That doesn't mean he doesn't recognize them as risks, he just sees them as risks worth taking. If being confident in a move means you don't think it's a risk then no good GM would ever take what they consider to be risks.

I'm not going to take his PR speak one way or the other wrt what he might really think. I do think he's risk averse in most of the ways that we wouldn't want him to be, but that doesn't mean he never takes any risks. Frankly, for a GM, the only way I think you can say they'd never take a risk is if they were merely a puppet. I don't believe GMGM is Ted's puppet at this point.

Old
06-22-2012, 06:10 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Sure... A calculated risk you're confident is going to work isn't much of a risk in the takers eye. Just sayin....

Calculated risks, or just poor GMing? You call the ball...

Old
06-22-2012, 06:13 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Sure... A calculated risk you're confident is going to work isn't much of a risk in the takers eye. Just sayin....

Calculated risks, or just poor GMing? You call the ball...
I think taking an uncalculated risk is bad management. If you don't believe in it you have no reason to do it, it's irresponsible. Taking a calculated one is what you're supposed to do. GMGM's problem (as I see it) is in the types of risks he's confident enough to take. His comfort zone doesn't fit what we want it to. But I don't want him taking random risks just for the heck of it, because that's where you start to make stupid decisions.

Could be a different GM is what's needed, or it could be GMGM just needs a push to readjust his comfort zone.

Old
06-22-2012, 08:54 PM
Langway
Intangibles

@SWhyno: McPhee said interviews all wrapped up for #Caps coach search. Now time to decide.

Old
06-22-2012, 10:59 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
@SWhyno: McPhee said interviews all wrapped up for #Caps coach search. Now time to decide.
Have to say I really can't even make up my mind to have an opinion on who I'd even want as the next coach. Cooper is intriguing as a younger coach whose had success. That chicago asst seems to be well liked by players. Oates I have no idea. Seemed a bit of a lone wolf with the caps during his playing years. Seriously would he be able to connect with AO to get him going?

My prediction that chicago coach whose name I'm too tuned up to figure out how to spell his last name but it starts with an H .

06-23-2012, 08:03 AM
txpd

Quote:

confidence eliminates risk? two rookies as your playoff shutdown d pair on a cup contender is not risky if the gm is confident? not buying it

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 08:11 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
That is correct. There is no risk to him since his job is not dependent on winning the cup. His job is to direct a long slow build from within; to simply compete.

I think George sees more risk in moving a young player and having it bite him in the arse.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 01:16 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
confidence eliminates risk? two rookies as your playoff shutdown d pair on a cup contender is not risky if the gm is confident? not buying it
My contention was that he's risk averse with overall franchise management. You contend that because he inserted inexperienced players in the lineup and gave them meaningful minutes, and for the most part they've succeeded, that McPhee should be seen as risk taker? OK then...

I love how you throw out sensationalist phrases like "shutdown D pair" and "Cup contender"....as if to make it seem more impressive. Unless you agree that all 16 playoff teams are Cup contenders of course...it's at least amusing. McPhee hasn't shown the nerve to make a franchise shifting trade or pickup. He's been very conservative, IMO because of what Randy wrote. Those trades can blow up in your face if you make the wrong ones. Much more risky than letting Semin walk for nothing and trading for a 2C on a 1 year move that's slowing making his rounds around the NHL.

Last edited by CapitalsCupFantasy: 06-23-2012 at 01:23 PM.
Old
06-23-2012, 01:16 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
That is correct. There is no risk to him since his job is not dependent on winning the cup. His job is to direct a long slow build from within; to simply compete.

I think George sees more risk in moving a young player and having it bite him in the arse.
EXACTLY right Randy...

Old
06-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Oates would be a disaster.

Chimaera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
Oates would be a disaster.
Seconded.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 03:11 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Haviland or Cooper....

Cooper or Haviland...

Reigning AHL coach of the year over a guy who was fired (and a former AHL coach of the year)....hmmm....

I'm going Cooper.

Old
06-23-2012, 03:19 PM
Jedgi

Hoping Cooper, but would be fine with Oates.

Jedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2012, 10:58 PM
Chukcha

Mr.McPhee, please hire Wayne Gretzky! #99 is the only coach to inspire this team!

Chukcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 05:38 PM
Langway
Intangibles

So...about Oates. There have been four* head coaching hires in seven post-lockout NHL seasons involving coaches with zero previous head coaching experience on their resume whatsoever (Tocchet, Carbonneau, Savard & Gretzky). Only two of them were off-season hires--Carbonneau & Gretzky--rather than mid-season replacements. Altogether they combined to finish ten seasons and made the playoffs...once. Poor management is at least partially to blame but it's a pretty stark picture within that timespan. Backing up there's Lindy Ruff & Ron Wilson as fairly successful head coaches that made that jump but it doesn't tend to be a commonly successful path.

* Muller had all of 17 games with Milwaukee (AHL) before hired by Carolina so he wasn't far from it. All of the four hires were between 2005-2008.

(This message was not paid for by the Jon Cooper for America Action Committee.)

Old
06-25-2012, 05:46 PM
sk84fun_dc

At least in these comments reported today by Lindsay Kramer, beat writer covering the Syracuse Crunch (now TBL's affiliate,) Cooper makes it sound like he doesn't believe he's the frontrunner, but read into it as much or as little as you want. He's not going to say he has the job before it's offered to him

link

sk84fun_dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Yeah, I saw that. The way McPhee is I'm not sure Cooper would even know if the interview went well or not, which is another matter as far as relationships go. I also wonder if it might not have been a tough time to interview a guy right before the draft. In any event it sounds like the front office is still doing their homework in talking to people that know the candidates better.

Old
06-25-2012, 06:08 PM
Liberati0n
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Bob McKenzie said a couple of days ago that he thought Oates and Haviland were the front runners and mentioned them "also taking a look at" Cooper or something. I guess I can't help but be pretty pissed if they choose Oates over Cooper.

Liberati0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:46 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

I think I prefer Haviland, but certainly wouldn't mind Cooper.

Mystlyfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2012, 06:50 PM
Capitlols

It's so going to be Oates and it's going to suck.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote