HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

The Ultimate Coaching Poll

View Poll Results: Who will be the next Capitals Coach?
Tom Renney 2 0.00%
Marc Crawford 8 0.00%
Mark French 1 0.00%
Paul Maurice - KHL bound 7 0.00%
Ron Wilson 8 0.00%
Craig MacTavish - Hired by Edmonton 22 0.00%
Guy Carbonneau 6 0.00%
Mike Keenan 2 0.00%
Michele Therrien - Hired by Montreal 2 0.00%
Andy Murray 2 0.00%
Dallas Eakins - Staying with Marlies 8 0.00%
Bob Hartley - Hired by Calgary 10 0.00%
Jim Johnson 6 0.00%
Terry Murray 0 0%
Mike Sullivan 0 0%
John Hynes 0 0%
Adam Oates 777,777 99.99%
Patrick Roy 4 0.00%
Craig Ramsay 2 0.00%
Larry Robinson 3 0.00%
Jacques Martin 2 0.00%
Jon Cooper 7 0.00%
Mike Haviland 1 0.00%
Other 7 0.00%
Teflon Dean Evason - Hired to coach Milwaukee (AHL) 0 0%
Voters: 777887. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-31-2012, 12:44 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
This was more fun when expectations were crap and we had a superstar who didn't have his head up his own arse...

Now it's just an exercise in frustration...EVERY SINGLE SUMMER.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:02 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Ironically the trap lowered expectations so much, it seemed some fans wanted a sell off at the deadline. Then sure as shiat, we got as far in the playoffs as we did when we were dominating the league.

Expectations are tough to live with sometimes. We form our own but then complain when they aren't met. George sets a low bar with his "one day the cup may be ours". Us fans should do the same. We are along for the ride. Keep the big E real.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:08 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

It's tough when ownership and management set us up with promises of "5 year plans" and "being a real contender for a long time" messages. Tough to ignore all that and accept that it really just means it's a crapshoot every year. As far as I'm concerned you're a real contender when you're in the final 4 or better...not before. Regular season success be damned.

Old
05-31-2012, 01:08 PM
bonzilla

Amazing the differences in corporate culture:

Calgary/Feaster:

Don't care that the SC is in full swing or that Nick Lindstrom deserves a press release day all to himself. We want Hartley and we're announcing today!

Canadians/Bergevin:

Bob, leak the final two names. Our choice is important; windows may be closing so we want a soft marker on Therrien and Crawford immediately!

Caps/GM:

-No time line. No prospects yet. Somebody by training camp anyway.
-Draft? Don't need one by then - Dale is filling a chair.
-Free Agents? Pfft! Screw'em, it's all about money and term - they'll play for whomever.

bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:09 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle2447514/

Pretty good read on Eakins and what you can expect if he were to be the coach.
Well Eakins is out of the question. GMGM hates players coaches.

He either likes the ones who yell a lot at them, or in Hunters case don't say jack ****.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:19 PM
bonzilla

GM announces new coach

Old
05-31-2012, 01:19 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Uh, I'm not sure you want to use Calgary and Montreal as examples of well-run organizations.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:21 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Well Eakins is out of the question. GMGM hates players coaches.

He either likes the ones who yell a lot at them, or in Hunters case don't say jack ****.
...and Boudreau was...?

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:31 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
...and Boudreau was...?
Depends on your definition.

I don't think Boudreau was close to what Tortorella is, but he did yell at the guys plenty.

Boudreau went ballistic when there was a goal against, the idea of players coaches are the ones that will come up behind you and talk to you and bench you a couple shifts if needed.

Offensively, I guess you could say Boudreau was a players coach, when a guy would mess up a 2 on 1 or something Boudreau would have a chat with them.

SimplySensational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:36 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Why doesn't George make his coaching changes in the offseason - does he spend his summer at Ocean City working at Thrashers?

Dale handed him this change on a silver platter but he doesn't appear concerned - almost out of his element. He even says there is no rush. Sure its only a hockey coach he needs to get, but still. Show at least some urgency to the fans players and prospects, at least reaffirm its his highest priority. Restore some direction for the team and help ticket sales.

When he should be scrambling, he doesn't. Then he scrambles when he doesn't need to. He chose to keep Hanlon and Bruce around then ax's them like a turkey at Thanksgiving. Did he really need to see 2 more months to reaffirm what he had seen for years?

Someone put some red bull in his Shirley Temple

Old
05-31-2012, 01:38 PM
Capitlols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Depends on your definition.

I don't think Boudreau was close to what Tortorella is, but he did yell at the guys plenty.

Boudreau went ballistic when there was a goal against, the idea of players coaches are the ones that will come up behind you and talk to you and bench you a couple shifts if needed.

Offensively, I guess you could say Boudreau was a players coach, when a guy would mess up a 2 on 1 or something Boudreau would have a chat with them.
You just described DH.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 01:39 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Selective memory is the best kind.

Old
05-31-2012, 01:53 PM
bonzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Uh, I'm not sure you want to use Calgary and Montreal as examples of well-run organizations.
True, they have been pretty screwed up in recent years, but you have to appreciate their communication and transparency to the fan base compared to the Caps in this situation. GM may be the straw that stirs the drink but we're the ones that ******* buy the drink!

What harm would it do share the playing style he's after or other peripheral attributes of the type of coach he's looking for?

Even before you see the white smoke you at least know who the short list is for Pope!

Old
05-31-2012, 01:57 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzilla View Post
True, they have been pretty screwed up in recent years, but you have to appreciate their communication and transparency to the fan base compared to the Caps in this situation. GM may be the straw that stirs the drink but we're the ones that ******* buy the drink!

What harm would it do share the playing style he's after or other peripheral attributes of the type of coach he's looking for?

Even before you see the white smoke you at least know who the short list is for Pope!
I frankly couldn't care less about transparency. I just want an actual vetting process. Not targeting one guy and ignoring all others.

And I guess the harm is that some team on the fence about firing their coach might do it if they glean that GMGM is targeting a certain guy.

Old
05-31-2012, 02:17 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

It just seems like George could be using the media a bit better, to make the organization look like it cares more. That a coach is a priority. The fact that we are talking about it tells me he is not selling his plan very well. This is the entertainment industry, its lifeline is sales.

He lies to the media anyways, why not just say he is diligently on it.

Old
05-31-2012, 02:19 PM
bonzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I frankly couldn't care less about transparency. I just want an actual vetting process. Not targeting one guy and ignoring all others.

And I guess the harm is that some team on the fence about firing their coach might do it if they glean that GMGM is targeting a certain guy.
So Wiz, how do you as a fan vet the vetting process without a modicum of transparancy? Even after the hiring GM will never reveal his dark system of throwing darts at tarot cards..

Old
05-31-2012, 02:25 PM
bonzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
It just seems like George could be using the media a bit better, to make the organization look like it cares more. That a coach is a priority. The fact that we are talking about it tells me he is not selling his plan very well.

Agree..And the wierd thing is that Ted would have the whole process filmed live as a Fox reality show sprinkled with STH infomercials! Felix and Oscar these two!

Old
05-31-2012, 02:30 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
It just seems like George could be using the media a bit better, to make the organization look like it cares more. That a coach is a priority. The fact that we are talking about it tells me he is not selling his plan very well. This is the entertainment industry, its lifeline is sales.

If he's lying about the nature of his actions (which I have to believe he is, at least partly) it's because he thinks it will give him an advantage. Either it will give him more leverage in some way, or it will keep him on better terms with the various candidates (respecting privacy by keeping everything quiet) or something.

That, to him, is going to matter more than what we think. Maybe not to Ted, but I doubt the fanbase as a whole cares nearly as much about the details as we do here. At least right now. 2 months from now? Who knows.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 02:33 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
So Wiz, how do you as a fan vet the vetting process without a modicum of transparancy? Even after the hiring GM will never reveal his dark system of throwing darts at tarot cards..
There's never going to be a way to properly assess the vetting process. In the end you'll always be taking somebody's word about it, and the nature of levels of interest and closeness of decisions tends to get extremely exaggerated after everything's already been done.

Doesn't mean you can't want it to happen the right way. You'll just never know whether it did or didn't (barring reasonable analysis based on the outcome)

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 02:33 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Agree..And the wierd thing is that Ted would have the whole process filmed live as a Fox reality show sprinkled with STH infomercials! Felix and Oscar these two!
Ted must when he sees his team talking to the media. Sure hockey guys aren't media moguls but they should be coach-able to say "the right thing". That dumbass comment will cost me!

Agreed BRS, he lies and deceives because he thinks it makes us better, or his job easier. And yes only us hardcore fans care that other orgs are openly moving towards coaches while ours states he is doing almost the opposite, including admitting letting a guy that doesn't want to be here, have a say in who we draft.

Old
05-31-2012, 02:35 PM
ForzaItalia

I've heard Eakins both call out and bench players on the Marlies. He showed a lot of tough love to Kadri in that regard. I don't see him as a pushover type of "player's coach" by any means.

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 02:36 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
As a fan, if no information is released, the only way to vet a vetting process is to evaluate the results, I suppose.

I don't care if I'm informed of a vetting process, I just want it to happen.

...or what brs said.

Old
05-31-2012, 02:46 PM
txpd

hindsight=experience.

item: as a group many wanted boudreau fired last off season. we offered who we wanted as the new coach. i said dale hunter. i dont recall anyone saying pete deboer.

item: many here thought an 8 seed equalled no shot at the cup and with that they should sell at the deadline.

result: peter deboer v an 8 seed in the scf.

i dont know squat. my take is that mcphee says he's not in a hurry and leonsis is quiet because they expect a work stoppage. on the other hand mcphee's correct quote might have been "there's no hurry" which means nothing more than he is not commenting publically on his process.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2012, 02:49 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
hindsight=experience.

item: as a group many wanted boudreau fired last off season. we offered who we wanted as the new coach. i said dale hunter. i dont recall anyone saying pete deboer.

item: many here thought an 8 seed equalled no shot at the cup and with that they should sell at the deadline.

i dont know squat. my take is that mcphee says he's not in a hurry and leonsis is quiet because they expect a work stoppage. on the other hand mcphee's correct quote might have been "there's no hurry" which means nothing more than he is not commenting publically on his process.

Old
05-31-2012, 02:54 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
hindsight=experience.

Wow...that's quite the leap....