HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jason Garrison - Canucks top of his list if he hits UFA status.

Old
05-17-2012, 01:10 PM
StringerBell

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Addition not signing.
Ahh okay then I agree. Any top 6 upgrade will have to come via trade, barring Kassian putting it all together this summer (unlikely). All the more reason I think if we can add a quality UFA like Garrison to our assets we should jump on it.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:13 PM
Dolph Ziggler
Push ME

vCash: 50
I'd like him in the Note

Dolph Ziggler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:26 PM
KISSland

I don't know if this would interest FLA fans, but would you look into acquiring a Dman if Garrison doesn't resign?

Ballard for Garrison's rights, and a 2nd pick?

It essentially kills two birds with one stone for Vancouver.

Freeing up Ballard and getting Garrison before he hits UFA and signing him for cheaper than market value.

Ballard will replace the empty slot in FLA and return back to FLA where he's familiar in.

?!

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:28 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figz14 View Post
I don't know if this would interest FLA fans, but would you look into acquiring a Dman if Garrison doesn't resign?

Freeing up Ballard and getting Garrison before he hits UFA and signing him for cheaper than market value.

Ballard will replace the empty slot in FLA and return back to FLA where he's familiar in.

?!
Why would Florida want Ballard back?

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:30 PM
Vorkosh

Quote:

?!
I'm sure I speak for the minority of Vancouver fans, but I like Ballard, a lot actually, he's shown great strides in improvement this year, and you're basically giving away our most consistent Defense-man this year, for the rights to someone who has publicly stated that signing with Vancouver would be "a dream come true" and a 2nd?

If Garrison doesn't resign with Florida, and based on the fact that there is no discussing going on between his agent and the team, chances are he won't, the Canucks literally have first dibs on him already. So his rights are a wash.

So really, the trade proposal now becomes

Keith Ballard for a 2nd round pick..

I'd rather hold on to Ballard as he is adjusting well to AV's system now

Vorkosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:33 PM
Scottrockztheworld*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkosh View Post
I'm sure I speak for the minority of Vancouver fans, but I like Ballard, a lot actually, he's shown great strides in improvement this year, and you're basically giving away our most consistent Defense-man this year, for the rights to someone who has publicly stated that signing with Vancouver would be "a dream come true" and a 2nd?

If Garrison doesn't resign with Florida, and based on the fact that there is no discussing going on between his agent and the team, chances are he won't, the Canucks literally have first dibs on him already. So his rights are a wash.

So really, the trade proposal now becomes

Keith Ballard for a 2nd round pick..

I'd rather hold on to Ballard as he is adjusting well to AV's system now
The cap? If Garrison is a Canuck it means the end of Ballard.

Quote:
Why would Florida want Ballard back?
Vokoun is gone now?

Scottrockztheworld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Vorkosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatles View Post
The cap? If Garrison is a Canuck it means the end of Ballard.

Vokoun is gone now?
Goes up this year?

Garrison will most likely sign a 2 year deal with Vancouver at 3.5 million. Home town discount, low commitment in case this last year was a fluke from Vancouver's point of view. And Garrison accepts less money to play for a team he wants to play for and gives him a shot at a championship

The odd person out, would be Salo. But if we're adding Garrison, I can accept the fact that Salo wouldn't be needed as much. Salo would have cost the Canucks probably 1.2 to resign.. use the 1.2 on Garrison, and it's really 2.3 more.

I'm going to say that the Cap goes up by more than 2.3m this year

Old
05-17-2012, 01:40 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

he played on the right side ....

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:40 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Goes up this year?

Garrison will most likely sign a 2 year deal with Vancouver at 3.5 million. Home town discount, low commitment in case this last year was a fluke from Vancouver's point of view. And Garrison accepts less money to play for a team he wants to play for and gives him a shot at a championship

The odd person out, would be Salo. But if we're adding Garrison, I can accept the fact that Salo wouldn't be needed as much. Salo would have cost the Canucks probably 1.2 to resign.. use the 1.2 on Garrison, and it's really 2.3 more.

$3.5 million for two years is a pipe dream.

Old
05-17-2012, 01:44 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Im curious to know how much of an influence Campbell had on Garrison this season. He tripled his goal total, and doubled his point total from a year ago, this season, when he was paired with Soupy. He has improved greatly, as his shot two seasons ago was all over the place, and he has always been good defensively, I just think that Soupy has had a big influence on his game, and he will probably get more that he deserves, which is usually the case in free agency anyways.

I still think he re-signs with the Panthers before he hits free agency. It is his first choice, and Tallon wants him back.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Vorkosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLager View Post
$3.5 million for two years is a pipe dream.
Not really, have you been following Gillis signings?

Jeff Tambellini did something similar, he made it known in public that he wanted to play in Vancouver. After signing a 500k deal with Vancouver, he also let it be known that he had another offer for 1.5m that he turned down to play with Vancouver.

Dan Hamhuis, many thought he would get snatched up for 5.5-6million when he hit free-agency. Hamhuis himself said he didn't know if Vancouver was still interested because they had traded for Ballard a week prior to July 1.

Vancouver called Hamhuis and offered him 4.5m, Hamhuis accepted.

When you publicly announce you want to play for a team or that it would be a "dream come true" as a player you lose a lot of leverage in terms of dollars and cents.

Garrison could probably get offers of 4.5-5 milion, I'm gonna bet, if Gillis offers him 3.5, Garrison is gonna accept.

Old
05-17-2012, 01:46 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Goes up this year?

The Cap is a bit of a mystery until the new CBA is agreed upon.

Under the current setup the Cap is expected to be around 69M before the 5% increase the PA can put on it which would make it 72M. But if the the Owners get their 50/50 revenue split the cap could end up staying around the same.

crazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:05 PM
Shane Churla
Rookie User

I'm sorry but I would no want Garrison for even 2 Million. The guy hasn't proved anything. Rather keep Ballard and hope we can swing a trade for a legit stud D maybe Timmonen for Tanev & Raymond or something...

Garrison will get a huge inflated contract and then will not live up to it. Yes he may be BC boy but the local player on the Canucks radar is Shea Webber and for good reason

Shane Churla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:05 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post

I still think he re-signs with the Panthers before he hits free agency. It is his first choice, and Tallon wants him back.
If you were coming off a contract at almost league minimum, and were the 3rd highest goal scoring defensman in the league, wouldn't you wait to see what all your options are?

Tallon made the playoffs this year, so I can't knock him too hard, but the inflated salaries he handed out to Jovo, Fleischman, Upshall, Jovo, Kopecky, and Bergenheim...may have hindered his ability to lock up his homegrown talent.

Not that they were 'bad' deals, but I think they may be slightly inflated, which hurts moving forward.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:08 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Churla View Post
I'm sorry but I would no want Garrison for even 2 Million. The guy hasn't proved anything. Rather keep Ballard and hope we can swing a trade for a legit stud D maybe Timmonen for Tanev & Raymond or something...

Garrison will get a huge inflated contract and then will not live up to it. Yes he may be BC boy but the local player on the Canucks radar is Shea Webber and for good reason
Garrison has 2 years of playing shutdown minutes and doing it exceptionally well. How much more proven do you expect him to be? If you don't want Garrison for 2 million then all I can assume is that you have never seen him play and know nothing about him.

Tiranis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:19 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Not really, have you been following Gillis signings?

Jeff Tambellini did something similar, he made it known in public that he wanted to play in Vancouver. After signing a 500k deal with Vancouver, he also let it be known that he had another offer for 1.5m that he turned down to play with Vancouver.

Dan Hamhuis, many thought he would get snatched up for 5.5-6million when he hit free-agency. Hamhuis himself said he didn't know if Vancouver was still interested because they had traded for Ballard a week prior to July 1.

Vancouver called Hamhuis and offered him 4.5m, Hamhuis accepted.

When you publicly announce you want to play for a team or that it would be a "dream come true" as a player you lose a lot of leverage in terms of dollars and cents.

Garrison could probably get offers of 4.5-5 milion, I'm gonna bet, if Gillis offers him 3.5, Garrison is gonna accept.
The Hamhuis situation is similar, but has some key differences. First of all the inflation of player contracts due to the cap in the last two years. 4.5 million in 2010 would be equivalent to 5mil+ in 2012.

Second, Hamhuis had made significantly more money over his career before hitting UFA so he could afford to leave a bit more on the table. I think Garrisons only made something like $2 million so far in his career.

Finally and most importantly, if Garrison takes a big home town discount in terms of cap hit he's going to use that to negotiate some term on it. As a player who many are concerned might be a one hit wonder, he's not going to forgo $20 million dollars on a deal. He's going to make sure he gets some
security. Or more specifically, his agent will.

Last edited by StringerBell: 05-17-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old
05-17-2012, 02:21 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
Maybe.....next year?

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
You Canucks fans are DELIRIOUS if you think you'll sign Garrison for $3.5 Million.

He'll be asking at least $4.5 Million.

If you really want him, you can have him. It's not like taking the Panthers players has worked out for you yet.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:26 PM
KISSland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthiasitchy View Post
You Canucks fans are DELIRIOUS if you think you'll sign Garrison for $3.5 Million.

If you really want him, you can have him. It's not like taking the Panthers players has worked out for you yet.
I think if we can get to his rights before July 1st, there's a chance we can get him for 4M.

KISSland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:33 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
I think if we can get to his rights before July 1st, there's a chance we can get him for 4M.
Depending on how long the deal is for this sounds plausible. It would probably have to be like 6 years though.

Old
05-17-2012, 02:36 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
If you were coming off a contract at almost league minimum, and were the 3rd highest goal scoring defensman in the league, wouldn't you wait to see what all your options are?

Tallon made the playoffs this year, so I can't knock him too hard, but the inflated salaries he handed out to Jovo, Fleischman, Upshall, Jovo, Kopecky, and Bergenheim...may have hindered his ability to lock up his homegrown talent.

Not that they were 'bad' deals, but I think they may be slightly inflated, which hurts moving forward.
Except for Jovo and Upshall, all those contracts paid great dividends for us this year. You can make a case for Kopecky's contract, but Flash and Bergenheim were well worth it. If Upshall stays healthy, and plays like he did against the Devils, then that is another contract I have no problem with. The only contract that stings is the Jovo deal, but the Jovo deal is what brought everyone together, and while its a retirement package, it was good for Tallon to try and bring back some of our brief history. Regardless, the Panthers have plenty of cap space, and when it comes time to re-up players like Huberdeau, Markstrom, Gudbranson, etc., most of these deals will be done, hence the reason why Tallon didnt go further than four years on most of his signings last offseason. Tallon knows exactly what he is doing, and now that he has Santos by his side, you wont see the hiccups we saw in Chicago. The money is certainly there to re-sign who we need to, and even go after a top six forward in free agency.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:55 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:

Yeah, you've obviously not watched Garrison play.

05-17-2012, 02:55 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
Except for Jovo and Upshall, all those contracts paid great dividends for us this year. You can make a case for Kopecky's contract, but Flash and Bergenheim were well worth it. If Upshall stays healthy, and plays like he did against the Devils, then that is another contract I have no problem with. The only contract that stings is the Jovo deal, but the Jovo deal is what brought everyone together, and while its a retirement package, it was good for Tallon to try and bring back some of our brief history. Regardless, the Panthers have plenty of cap space, and when it comes time to re-up players like Huberdeau, Markstrom, Gudbranson, etc., most of these deals will be done, hence the reason why Tallon didnt go further than four years on most of his signings last offseason. Tallon knows exactly what he is doing, and now that he has Santos by his side, you wont see the hiccups we saw in Chicago. The money is certainly there to re-sign who we need to, and even go after a top six forward in free agency.
How much will Kulikov and Versteeg get for raises? Will there still be enough payroll left to give Garrison a 4 million dollar raise?

Old
05-17-2012, 03:19 PM
Cogburn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthiasitchy View Post

I agree 3.5 is a pipedream. I mean...prove me wrong...but I'd say he's played very well before this year too.

Asking price doesn't "set in stone", on a contender with limited cap space, it may come done some. Not a whole million, and frankly I'd call it a big win at 4 million a season, and even 4.5 a solid, low rate, but if the team isn't Florida (he said his interest in Vancouver was pending Florida not resigning him) or Vancouver, 4.5-5 if he is after a pay cheque.

And I know you've gotta be kidding a little there, but I am not disappointed with anyone we've got from Florida after this season. Booth has underperformed due to injury and playing with an injured Kesler, who in parts of the season seemed like an offensive blackhole. Ballard has finally been taken off the leash Vignault's had him on, and he was our best Dman these playoffs, and by all accounts is a solid locker room presence. Luongo, 'nuff said. Duco, Krajicek, the draft pick we got Shiro for...all have done their job as advertised. Oreskovic is the only "disappointment" I think we've had, as Gillis was talking him up as the second coming of Burrows, Kesler, Bure and Linden in one package in some pressers.

I AM disappointed in some Sabres player's we've gotten in years past though

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:39 PM
zeus3007*

I don't think this surprises anyone. Does a desperate GM offer him 5 million over 4 or 5 years? I could see someone stretching for him on that. There always is that one signing that makes everyone go "wow, really? Wasn't expecting that" (see Lieno, Ville). The Canucks probably don't touch that dollar figure though, so it depends on if he really wants to bend on whatever huge offer he might get.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:41 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:

Kimmo Timmonen? Would you trade Edler for Tanev and Raymond? Because thats pretty much what you'd be asking Philly to do. With Pronger's future in question, there's no way you can get Timmonen for those pieces.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote