HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics here) XXVII

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2012, 10:40 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926
Got to disagree with pretty much everything you said except for maybe comparing Semin to Kovalchuk, in terms of work ethic.

The Avs really need a top end goal scorer that and top pairing dman they are the 2 biggest needs the Avs have and I'd put them at equal importance.

We don't have enough offense currently. If you think that we do and we don't try to add a scorer we will once again be a team scratching for maybe the last playoff spot.

Look at all the playoff teams sans the unlikely final 4 team the Coyotes. All the rest have top end scorers on their squad.
NYR- Richards, Gaborik
NJ - Kovalchuk, Parise
LA - Kopitar, Richards, Carter

If that shows me anything its the importance of a high end caliber player, which is something Semin has been and can still be.
You can't really say sans a team like the Coyotes though, because they're in the Western finals. Look at Nashville, are they're forwards really more talented than Duchene, Stastny, Lando, McGinn, O'Reilly, Jones etc? They're not far off from LA either. Most teams don't have better or more talented forwards depth wise than the Avs, they're just older and their teams have better systems.

They absolutely should go after a guy like Parise, but it's not like they're starved for a one dimension offensive player like Semin. They just need the players they have to mature and play to their potential, and a coach that knows how to bring that out of them.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:17 PM
chet1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
You can't really say sans a team like the Coyotes though, because they're in the Western finals. Look at Nashville, are they're forwards really more talented than Duchene, Stastny, Lando, McGinn, O'Reilly, Jones etc? They're not far off from LA either. Most teams don't have better or more talented forwards depth wise than the Avs, they're just older and their teams have better systems.

They absolutely should go after a guy like Parise, but it's not like they're starved for a one dimension offensive player like Semin. They just need the players they have to mature and play to their potential, and a coach that knows how to bring that out of them.
If you want to play that game lets just look at the past 10 Cup winners and you'll see that a high powered offense is a must.

2011- Boston, much like the Avs are now, no superstars on offense just solid role players.
2010- Chicago (Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp etc.)
2009- Pittsburgh (Malkin, Crosby)
2008- Detroit (Datsyuk, Zetterberg)
2007- Anaheim (Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Selanne etc.)
2006- Carolina (not a ton of firepower except Staal)
2005- cancel
2004- TB (Lecavalier, Richards, St Louis)
2003- New Jersey ( not a ton of firepower except Elias)
2002- Detroit (Shannahan, Federov, Hull, Robitallie, Yzerman, Datsyuk)
2001- Avs (Sakic, Forsberg, Hejduk, Tanguay, Drury, not to mention Blake, Bourque, Foote and Roy)

So basically in summation 7 of the past 10 (70%) Cup winners have had high powered offenses. And the 3 that didn't had world class performances in the other areas to win the Cup.

The Avs had some good pieces but are lacking in the high end quality offensive players. Players like Downie and McGinn are solid players and good additions to the team but they shouldn't be confused as high end offensive talents. Both have capabilities to be about 50pts scorers.

We do have some players that have the potential to be high end scorers like Duchene, Stastny, Landeskog but the Avs aren't in a position at this point to be picky on which high end players they go after and which ones they don't. If Parise, Semin or Radulov is available the Avs better be calling as any would be a solid addition and could really help our offense, which was anemic last year during the playoff push when Varly was standing on his head trying to help us make the playoffs.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:27 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickAHL View Post
Why the **** are we trading Stastny for lesser players? Isn't our main problem that we don't have enough stars? Then why the **** are we trading Stastny?

Oh it's Ronaldy... that's makes sense.
Why, would my opinion on Stastny change in the offseason?

For how long will Stastny be considered better than Josi? I personally think Josi will be a legit top pairing defender. Wilson who I also think highly of is a bonus. Buy low sell high.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:32 PM
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaldo View Post
Why, would my opinion on Stastny change in the offseason?

For how long will Stastny be considered better than Josi? I personally think Josi will be a legit top pairing defender. Wilson who I also think highly of is a bonus. Buy low sell high.
We are not selling high instead we are selling low with Stastny. Plus I love Josi too but Stastny will be better than him for a long time.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:46 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

Quote:
We are not selling high instead we are selling low with Stastny. Plus I love Josi too but Stastny will be better than him for a long time.
I don't think Stastny will rebound with the Avs. His value is just going to decrease every game he plays ( my opinion.) I also think Josi will be better sooner rather than later.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:49 PM
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution

Quote:
I don't think Stastny will rebound with the Avs. His value is just going to decrease every game he plays ( my opinion.) I also think Josi will be better sooner rather than later.
Obviously I think Stastny will rebound especially if he can continue to play with McGinn and Jones. Plus Duchene and O'Reilly both have to prove that they can be consistent, I don't trust both of them to be the top 2 centers yet.

Old
05-16-2012, 11:57 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

Quote:
Obviously I think Stastny will rebound especially if he can continue to play with McGinn and Jones. Plus Duchene and O'Reilly both have to prove that they can be consistent, I don't trust both of them to be the top 2 centers yet.
I trust the 2 kids over the 50 point "first line" centre.

Old
05-17-2012, 12:01 AM
Granlund2Pulkkinen*
New Kid on the Block

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
If you want to play that game lets just look at the past 10 Cup winners and you'll see that a high powered offense is a must.

2011- Boston, much like the Avs are now, no superstars on offense just solid role players.
2010- Chicago (Toews, Kane, Hossa, Sharp etc.)
2009- Pittsburgh (Malkin, Crosby)
2008- Detroit (Datsyuk, Zetterberg)
2007- Anaheim (Getzlaf, Perry, Ryan, Selanne etc.)
2006- Carolina (not a ton of firepower except Staal)
2005- cancel
2004- TB (Lecavalier, Richards, St Louis)
2003- New Jersey ( not a ton of firepower except Elias)
2002- Detroit (Shannahan, Federov, Hull, Robitallie, Yzerman, Datsyuk)
2001- Avs (Sakic, Forsberg, Hejduk, Tanguay, Drury, not to mention Blake, Bourque, Foote and Roy)

So basically in summation 7 of the past 10 (70%) Cup winners have had high powered offenses. And the 3 that didn't had world class performances in the other areas to win the Cup.

The Avs had some good pieces but are lacking in the high end quality offensive players. Players like Downie and McGinn are solid players and good additions to the team but they shouldn't be confused as high end offensive talents. Both have capabilities to be about 50pts scorers.

We do have some players that have the potential to be high end scorers like Duchene, Stastny, Landeskog but the Avs aren't in a position at this point to be picky on which high end players they go after and which ones they don't. If Parise, Semin or Radulov is available the Avs better be calling as any would be a solid addition and could really help our offense, which was anemic last year during the playoff push when Varly was standing on his head trying to help us make the playoffs.
Ahem..

2011- Boston - Chara
2010- Chicago - Keith
2009- Pittsburgh - Letang
2008- Detroit - Lidstrom
2007- Anaheim - Neidermayer
2006- Carolina - Kaberle
2005- cancel
2004- TB - Boyle
2003- New Jersey - Neidermayer
2002- Detroit - Lidstrom
2001- Avs - Bourque

Old
05-17-2012, 12:18 AM
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution

Quote:
I trust the 2 kids over the 50 point "first line" centre.
Yeah the 2 kids, one who had a 30 point season and the other who only had 2 more points than Stastny while playing 2 more games and while playing with Landeskog. Stastny is the only one out of the three to consistently put up at least 50 points.

Old
05-17-2012, 12:18 AM
Avsboy

We should sign Zach Parise. I can't stress this enough. We won't sign him but we should. Since we won't be signing anyone big this off-season, expect another 8-11 finish. Guaranteed. This is coming from a guy who somehow picked the past five stanley cup winners or finalists before the season started (picked NJ this year).

Old
05-17-2012, 12:19 AM
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy View Post
We should sign Zach Parise. I can't stress this enough. We won't sign him but we should. Since we won't be signing anyone big this off-season, expect another 8-11 finish. Guaranteed. This is coming from a guy who somehow picked the past five stanley cup winners or finalists before the season started (picked NJ this year).
Isn't this the same guy who said Jones would be a 40 goal scorer?

Old
05-17-2012, 12:21 AM
JWK
Report Spam @JWK Plz

vCash: 562
Quote:
Isn't this the same guy who said Jones would be a 40 goal scorer?
Should have drafted Huberdeau based on his YT vids.

Old
05-17-2012, 12:28 AM
Rhaego

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWK View Post
Should have drafted Huberdeau based on his YT vids.
Landeskog is a 3rd line grinder holmes, biggest mistake ever yo

Old
05-17-2012, 01:54 AM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

Quote:
Yeah the 2 kids, one who had a 30 point season and the other who only had 2 more points than Stastny while playing 2 more games and while playing with Landeskog. Stastny is the only one out of the three to consistently put up at least 50 points.
Meh, he's a youngin injuries/bad year it happens. It took Parise his 4th year in the NHL to beat Duchene's sophomore year. He'll obviously improve and ROR should be a consistent 55-60 point centre man.

What an accomplishment. Definitely, a first line 6 million dollar player.:

Old
05-17-2012, 01:58 AM
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution

Quote:
Meh, he's a youngin injuries/bad year it happens.
A bad year can happen for Duchene but it can't happen for Stastny... makes sense.

Old
05-17-2012, 02:08 AM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

Quote:
A bad year can happen for Duchene but it can't happen for Stastny... makes sense.

I'm sorry but has Stastny been injured the past 2 years? I guess you can say he was injured since he needed cardiac transplant. Is Stastny a 21 yr old still learning the game? Nope, he's a soon to be a 27 year old veteran that has been regressing the past 2 years.

Old
05-17-2012, 02:12 AM
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution

Quote:
I'm sorry but has Stastny been injured the past 2 years? I guess you can say he was injured since he needed cardiac transplant. Is Stastny a 21 yr old still learning the game? Nope, he's a soon to be a 27 year old veteran that has been regressing the past 2 years.
You can use the injury excuse all you want but that wasn't the reason Duchene played bad unless it was a brain injury. He just isn't a smart player with his constant spin-o-rama's which lead to turnovers and he sucks defensively but it's the injuries that made him not know what to do in the offensive zone nor the defensive zone and it was the injuries that made him constantly turn the puck over because he wanted to pull a move that wouldn't work, right?

Old
05-17-2012, 02:29 AM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

Quote:
You can use the injury excuse all you want but that wasn't the reason Duchene played bad unless it was a brain injury. He just isn't a smart player with his constant spin-o-rama's which lead to turnovers and he sucks defensively but it's the injuries that made him not know what to do in the offensive zone nor the defensive zone and it was the injuries that made him constantly turn the puck over because he wanted to pull a move that wouldn't work, right?
Smart enough to outscore Stastny in his 2nd year, as well as Tavares. Matt also had a better 2 years to start their careers than Seguin and Parise. Despite being 3 years younger than the latter.

Duchene sucked in the beginning of last year, there's no denying that. I already stated that above. Injuries certainly played a part in it. Just as it looked like he was starting to get things together(November) 14pts in 12GP Sacco in a desperate move to shake up the team decided to move him to wing. You know because he plays a wingers game and better suited as winger. Worked greeat didn't it?

To recap: Yes, Duchene had a bad year but would it have lasted the whole year if it weren't for the injuries and Sacco using him as human guinea pig? If Duchene has another bad year despite playing full time at centre then I will be on the other side until then I'll give Matt the benefit of the doubt. Of course this has nothing to do with Pauly and his issues but this is how the debates about Stastny's ****** play usually ends.

Old
05-17-2012, 02:31 AM
BrickAHL
#AvaloungeRevolution

Quote:
Smart enough to outscore Stastny in his 2nd year, as well as Tavares. Matt also had a better 2 years to start their careers than Seguin and Parise. Despite being 3 years younger than the latter.

Duchene sucked in the beginning of last year, there's no denying that. I already stated that above. Injuries certainly played a part in it. Just as it looked like he was starting to get things together(November) 14pts in 12GP Sacco in a desperate move to shake up the team decided to move him to wing. You know because he plays a wingers game and better suited as winger. Worked greeat didn't it?

To recap: Yes, Duchene had a bad year but would it have lasted the whole year if it weren't for the injuries and Sacco using him as human guinea pig? If Duchene has another bad year despite playing full time at centre then I will be on the other side until then I'll give Matt the benefit of the doubt. Of course this has nothing to do with Pauly and his issues but this is how the debates about Stastny's ****** play usually ends.
I guess we will have to re-visit this in a year because right now this is pretty pointless arguing this because we have done it so many times and neither of our opinions have changed.

Old
05-17-2012, 02:37 AM
Duchene2MacKinnon
71****70

Quote:
I guess we will have to re-visit this in a year because right now this is pretty pointless arguing this because we have done it so many times and neither of our opinions have changed.
Yeah, pretty much. I honestly, have to stop debating about Stastny on here it goes nowhere. It's become stale and boring a long time ago.

BTW don't call me Ronaldy or Ronaldo. I am and forever will be D2M.

Old
05-17-2012, 12:25 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Yeah, pretty much. I honestly, have to stop debating about Stastny on here it goes nowhere. It's become stale and boring a long time ago.

BTW don't call me Ronaldy or Ronaldo. I am and forever will be D2M.
You might want to add an 'e' to SMYTHE in your "Lundqvist for SMYTH" description unless you want him to win the Ryan Smyth trophy?

Old
05-17-2012, 01:13 PM
SoundwaveIsCharisma

Send a message via AIM to SoundwaveIsCharisma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
You might want to add an 'e' to SMYTHE in your "Lundqvist for SMYTH" description unless you want him to win the Ryan Smyth trophy?
Clearly a trade proposal. Joel Lundqvist for Ryan Smyth.

Old
05-17-2012, 01:50 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Joey Crabb

If the Avs lose one or both of Hejduk and Jones, I could see them signing a guy like Joey Crabb. He wouldn't necessarily be a guy who would contribute as a top-6 winger but more a solid 3rd line player who can contribute with some goals here and there. I've been impressed with him this season on the Leafs...he seems like a Shjon Podein kind of player with more offensive upside. At worst, he plays on the 3rd line next season and slots back to the 4th line after Kobasew leaves after his contract expires.

His stats have gotten progressively better at every level he's played at.

2002-03 Colorado College WCHA 35 4 4 8
2003-04 Colorado College WCHA 39 15 12 27
2004-05 Colorado College WCHA 42 16 15 31
2005-06 Colorado College WCHA 42 18 25 43
2006-07 Chicago Wolves AHL 63 7 15 22
2007-08 Chicago Wolves AHL 72 9 26 35
2008-09 Chicago Wolves AHL 42 15 14 29
2008-09 Atlanta Thrashers NHL 29 4 5 9
2009-10 Chicago Wolves AHL 79 24 29 53
2010-11 Toronto Marlies AHL 34 11 7 18
2010-11 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL 48 3 12 15
2011-12 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL 67 11 15 26
2011-12 Toronto Marlies AHL 9 7 8 15 7

His 11 goals would have led the Avs in bottom 6 forwards this year.

Anyways, just my 2 cents.

Old
05-17-2012, 02:01 PM
Freaky Styley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
If the Avs lose one or both of Hejduk and Jones, I could see them signing a guy like Joey Crabb. He wouldn't necessarily be a guy who would contribute as a top-6 winger but more a solid 3rd line player who can contribute with some goals here and there. I've been impressed with him this season on the Leafs...he seems like a Shjon Podein kind of player with more offensive upside. At worst, he plays on the 3rd line next season and slots back to the 4th line after Kobasew leaves after his contract expires.

His stats have gotten progressively better at every level he's played at.

2002-03 Colorado College WCHA 35 4 4 8
2003-04 Colorado College WCHA 39 15 12 27
2004-05 Colorado College WCHA 42 16 15 31
2005-06 Colorado College WCHA 42 18 25 43
2006-07 Chicago Wolves AHL 63 7 15 22
2007-08 Chicago Wolves AHL 72 9 26 35
2008-09 Chicago Wolves AHL 42 15 14 29
2008-09 Atlanta Thrashers NHL 29 4 5 9
2009-10 Chicago Wolves AHL 79 24 29 53
2010-11 Toronto Marlies AHL 34 11 7 18
2010-11 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL 48 3 12 15
2011-12 Toronto Maple Leafs NHL 67 11 15 26
2011-12 Toronto Marlies AHL 9 7 8 15 7

His 11 goals would have led the Avs in bottom 6 forwards this year.

Anyways, just my 2 cents.
I was a fan of Crabb this year too. As you said, we would need to lose a winger for it to make sense and I would like him slotted on the 4th line, 3rd line when injuries occur. Too much depth isn't a bad thing. He is a guy like Hendricks who knows his role and plays it well.

Old
05-17-2012, 02:05 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Styley View Post
I was a fan of Crabb this year too. As you said, we would need to lose a winger for it to make sense and I would like him slotted on the 4th line, 3rd line when injuries occur. Too much depth isn't a bad thing. He is a guy like Hendricks who knows his role and plays it well.
Yup! That's exactly right...I was actually going to mention Hendricks as a comparison. These are guys you win with, in my opinion. I can't see Kobasew 'out-seeding' him and that's why I'd give him a chance at more minutes on the 3rd line. But either way, he'd still work out well on the 4th line. I think he'd be a solid depth signing for sure.

Closed Thread