HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics here) XXVII

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2012, 01:22 AM
jaems

vCash: 500
Dater tweeted that he believes Duchene and RoR are up next for contract negotiations. Possibly EJ too.

Old
05-19-2012, 10:01 AM
foppagirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaems View Post
Dater tweeted that he believes Duchene and RoR are up next for contract negotiations. Possibly EJ too.
OOOoooooOOO! Exciting! EJ and O'Reilly should be pretty easy, but Duchene's will be a bit more tricky.

Old
05-19-2012, 10:01 AM
Avsboy

Quote:
Talk about a change of pace.

Should be contract hell with RoR and Duchene. RoR can't get higher than $4 million, Duchene not higher than $5...and that's pushing it for Duchene.

Then the team should work at trading Stastny

Old
05-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 50
Quote:
McClement? Jones?

RFAs better wait their turn.

Old
05-19-2012, 10:48 AM
henchman24
If and if...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
McClement? Jones?

It might be a signal they won't be signed.

Old
05-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
McClement? Jones?

No, actually O'Reilly should be top priority. No question he'll get an offer sheet if he's allowed to remain restricted past July 1st. And there's a chance Dutchy will as well even though he had a bad year. There's still time yet for everyone though.

Old
05-19-2012, 11:12 AM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
No, actually O'Reilly should be top priority. No question he'll get an offer sheet if he's allowed to remain restricted past July 1st. And there's a chance Dutchy will as well even though he had a bad year. There's still time yet for everyone though.
Not a chance.

1. They have to accept the offers.

2. Stamkos didn't an offersheet.

3. We have the most cap space in the league before signing our RFAs, if someone wants to test us they will regret it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
It might be a signal they won't be signed.
I'm really hoping that's not the case, but it is the first thing I thought of when I read that.

Old
05-19-2012, 12:42 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Not a chance.

1. They have to accept the offers.

2. Stamkos didn't an offersheet.

3. We have the most cap space in the league before signing our RFAs, if someone wants to test us they will regret it.
1. If Joe Sakic will sign an offer sheet, anyone can.

2. Just because better players in the past didn't get offer sheets doesn't mean it can't happen. Ryan Kesler got an offer sheet. Dustin freakin' Penner got an offer sheet. That doesn't mean anything.

3. I'm not worried about any of them leaving, only that the Avs may have to match a ridiculous contract a la Vanek. Karmanos threw an offer sheet at Sergei Fedorov just so Ilitch had to match and put in a clause that paid Feds a huge bonus if they won the cup. It was an offer with no intention of actually getting the player.

Oh yes, there's a chance. A good chance? Probably not. But there's a chance.

Old
05-19-2012, 12:57 PM
Lonewolfe2015

Quote:
1. If Joe Sakic will sign an offer sheet, anyone can.

2. Just because better players in the past didn't get offer sheets doesn't mean it can't happen. Ryan Kesler got an offer sheet. Dustin freakin' Penner got an offer sheet. That doesn't mean anything.

3. I'm not worried about any of them leaving, only that the Avs may have to match a ridiculous contract a la Vanek. Karmanos threw an offer sheet at Sergei Fedorov just so Ilitch had to match and put in a clause that paid Feds a huge bonus if they won the cup. It was an offer with no intention of actually getting the player.

Oh yes, there's a chance. A good chance? Probably not. But there's a chance.
1. Sakic got paid such a ridiculously high amount it was insane. The Rangers re-wrote the entire league's contracts with that offersheet. At the time the Avs didn't have the finances to cover that contract without some shrewd business negotiations, which history has also shown he was offersheeted so that MSG could perform a tv deal with altitude or whoever the tv entities at the time were.

2. Most players who have been offersheeted were on teams in cap trouble, I can't think of a time when a team with the deep pockets we have and comfy cap position have had a player offersheeted.

3. We don't have a Vanek, Duchy and Radar aren't worth 7mil, teams would be doing some serious gambling going that high. The teams who could afford it I likely wouldn't mind taking the 4 1st rounders from either. Imagine if Buffalo declined their option on Vanek... They'd have acquired at worst 4 top 10 1sts and at best a few top 5's probably, way more than Vanek is worth today.

It simply makes no logical sense to offersheet them. Especially with other high end RFAs out there.

Old
05-19-2012, 02:23 PM
Westville92

Imagine a roster after 3 big moves..
1. Sign Parise
2. Sign Jackman
3. Trade Stats,Gaunce,Pickard. For Nash and Brassard

Old
05-19-2012, 02:30 PM
Westville92

Hejduk retires insert Hishon or Scar.. Guaranteed 2 -3 years into the young d cores career we win the cup

Old
05-19-2012, 02:39 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westville92 View Post
Imagine a roster after 3 big moves..
1. Sign Parise
2. Sign Jackman
3. Trade Stats,Gaunce,Pickard. For Nash and Brassard
No thanks on #2 and #3. While good Jackman isn't good enough to play on the top pairing.

Old
05-19-2012, 02:39 PM
chewey
dmitri

Quote:
So no factual statement from the Avs, Dater just talking with the gas from the burrito he had.

Old
05-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
So no factual statement from the Avs, Dater just talking with the gas from the burrito he had.
Yea kinda like how Lefebvre was gonna leave the Avs to be head coach somewhere, and Hejduk was gonna retire. He feeds off internet rumors and plays the odds the same way guys like Eklund do.

I can't remember the last time he actually dug up some info I didn't read on HF first. He spends way too much time up on his high horse criticizing players and personel in a way no other credible reporter would ever even consider. He needs to take a step back from the sensationalism and rhetoric, and start being a reporter.

Old
05-19-2012, 09:02 PM
NHL33*

I liked when Dater had other amateur write up articles so that he didn't have to. The quality of writing didn't suffer one bit.

Old
05-20-2012, 12:29 AM
jaems

Regardless of whether he's right or not, I think it makes sense to re-sign Duchene/RoR/Johnson first because of the RFA's that can be re-signed, they'll likely cost us the most capspace.

At least, that's how I play Be A GM mode in NHL.

Old
05-20-2012, 01:57 AM
cgf

I know you guys don't like his attitude but I'd love to get Rads on this team. He'd fit right in on the ice, stick him next to Dutchy or Staz and we'd have a great forward core.

McGinn-Staz-Rads/Duke
Skog-RoR-Downie
Mueller-Duchene-Rads/Duke

He's a tough forechecker, gets back well, is strong on the puck, makes sweet passes and has an excellent shot.

Old
05-20-2012, 02:23 AM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
I know you guys don't like his attitude but I'd love to get Rads on this team. He'd fit right in on the ice, stick him next to Dutchy or Staz and we'd have a great forward core.

McGinn-Staz-Rads/Duke
Skog-RoR-Downie
Mueller-Duchene-Rads/Duke

He's a tough forechecker, gets back well, is strong on the puck, makes sweet passes and has an excellent shot.
As you alluded to, my issue with him is the same as Semin. This is a young team that will only take the next step when they realize what it takes to win.

They have offensive players, they just need to learn to be consistent, and do the little things that it takes to win. The last thing they need is an inconsistent, disinterested, or non committed player on the top lines.

If they bring their same issues to the Avs, at best that type of thing becomes a distraction because they're star players, and it gets talked about all season. At worst, their bad habits, and extra curricular activities start to spread, or it divides the locker room.

Obviously it could go the other way, and they could fit in great, but since the Avs have offensive players that just need to grow as they gain more experience, it's not a strong need worth gambling on IMO.

Old
05-20-2012, 03:03 AM
cgf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
As you alluded to, my issue with him is the same as Semin. This is a young team that will only take the next step when they realize what it takes to win.

They have offensive players, they just need to learn to be consistent, and do the little things that it takes to win. The last thing they need is an inconsistent, disinterested, or non committed player on the top lines.

If they bring their same issues to the Avs, at best that type of thing becomes a distraction because they're star players, and it gets talked about all season. At worst, their bad habits, and extra curricular activities start to spread, or it divides the locker room.

Obviously it could go the other way, and they could fit in great, but since the Avs have offensive players that just need to grow as they gain more experience, it's not a strong need worth gambling on IMO.
He's such a great fit on the ice though. It's not like he floats, avoids the dirty areas or anything. On the ice he's the perfect fit for the way we play, he's tough along the boards, is an annoying forechecker, busts his ass on the backcheck, and all around plays a high motor and physical game. I don't have as big an issue with him having bailed on Nashville because if I'm a pro athlete and I have the choice of playing at home for millions while I work on my game in the second best league in the world, or playing for a fraction of what my skills warrant on the open market, going home would be insanely tempting.

The only really issue I have with him is breaking a team rule during the playoffs. That was a bad mistake but one that is somewhat cultural and him coming into the team in the midst of the playoff run was not a great way for him to integrate himself into the team. I actually think the opposite would happen, fitting in so well on the ice with our kids, I think their mindset would rub off on him.

Old
05-20-2012, 07:58 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
He's such a great fit on the ice though. It's not like he floats, avoids the dirty areas or anything. On the ice he's the perfect fit for the way we play, he's tough along the boards, is an annoying forechecker, busts his ass on the backcheck, and all around plays a high motor and physical game. I don't have as big an issue with him having bailed on Nashville because if I'm a pro athlete and I have the choice of playing at home for millions while I work on my game in the second best league in the world, or playing for a fraction of what my skills warrant on the open market, going home would be insanely tempting.

The only really issue I have with him is breaking a team rule during the playoffs. That was a bad mistake but one that is somewhat cultural and him coming into the team in the midst of the playoff run was not a great way for him to integrate himself into the team. I actually think the opposite would happen, fitting in so well on the ice with our kids, I think their mindset would rub off on him.
I dont even mine that he broke the rule tbh, the team overreacted ALOT IMO, they werent out drinking or at a bar or anything like that, they went out to eat, and came back a little late, IMO Nashville overreacted. If they were out drinking or partying or something, I could understand why the Preds did what they did, but just going out to eat and comming back a little late wasnt that big a deal imo.

Radulov is an incredibly talented player, if we could get him for cheap from the Preds, It would be huge for us. He has the ability to take over games, and IMO can be a 90 point player in the NHL, he just needs a full season to get used to the different style game.

Old
05-20-2012, 08:29 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 544
No thanks to Radulov. Wouldn't touch him with a 10ft pole.

Old
05-20-2012, 08:50 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
I dont even mine that he broke the rule tbh, the team overreacted ALOT IMO, they werent out drinking or at a bar or anything like that, they went out to eat, and came back a little late, IMO Nashville overreacted. If they were out drinking or partying or something, I could understand why the Preds did what they did, but just going out to eat and comming back a little late wasnt that big a deal imo.

Radulov is an incredibly talented player, if we could get him for cheap from the Preds, It would be huge for us. He has the ability to take over games, and IMO can be a 90 point player in the NHL, he just needs a full season to get used to the different style game.
While I have been and still am emphatic that the Preds screwed up BIG time, let's call a spade a spade. They weren't just "a little late," they were out until 4am. And no, they were not just eating dinner. It was without a doubt a selfish and immature display by both players.

That being said, I don't know what in hell the Preds expected from either of these guys. AK's exploits in Montreal are well-documented.

I sure as hell would take a flyer on Rads if he were available, but the chances of him and Sacco getting along are about as slim as Peter Forsberg's ankle making a miraculous recovery.

Old
05-20-2012, 09:04 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
1. Sakic got paid such a ridiculously high amount it was insane. The Rangers re-wrote the entire league's contracts with that offersheet. At the time the Avs didn't have the finances to cover that contract without some shrewd business negotiations, which history has also shown he was offersheeted so that MSG could perform a tv deal with altitude or whoever the tv entities at the time were.

2. Most players who have been offersheeted were on teams in cap trouble, I can't think of a time when a team with the deep pockets we have and comfy cap position have had a player offersheeted.

3. We don't have a Vanek, Duchy and Radar aren't worth 7mil, teams would be doing some serious gambling going that high. The teams who could afford it I likely wouldn't mind taking the 4 1st rounders from either. Imagine if Buffalo declined their option on Vanek... They'd have acquired at worst 4 top 10 1sts and at best a few top 5's probably, way more than Vanek is worth today.

It simply makes no logical sense to offersheet them. Especially with other high end RFAs out there.
No offer sheet in the history of the NHL has ever had any logical sense attached to it.

And I think you're missing the point on Vanek. I said offer sheets have been made for lesser players. Are you seriously gonna sit there and tell me Dustin Penner is a better player than Ryan O'Reilly? If he can get an offer sheet, anyone can. And while I agree an offer sheet made against a team with plenty of cap space is a fool's errand, it hasn't stopped GMs in the past. Sometimes more modest offer sheets are made for the hell of it. David Backes and Ryan Kesler were signed to offer sheets that were easily matched. But they were still made. In fact the Backes offer sheet prompted the Blues to make a ridiculous offer on Steve Bernier out of pure spite.

Again, it's highly unlikely, but I wouldn't bet my life on it. In a league where some teams are desperate to fill key roles (and some very incompetent GMs still inexplicably retain their jobs) it's a very real possibility.

Tell you the truth, I think if the Preds aren't careful Shea Weber most certainly will get an offer if he isn't signed/traded before July 1st.

Old
05-20-2012, 10:32 AM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

Quote:
No offer sheet in the history of the NHL has ever had any logical sense attached to it.

And I think you're missing the point on Vanek. I said offer sheets have been made for lesser players. Are you seriously gonna sit there and tell me Dustin Penner is a better player than Ryan O'Reilly? If he can get an offer sheet, anyone can. And while I agree an offer sheet made against a team with plenty of cap space is a fool's errand, it hasn't stopped GMs in the past. Sometimes more modest offer sheets are made for the hell of it. David Backes and Ryan Kesler were signed to offer sheets that were easily matched. But they were still made. In fact the Backes offer sheet prompted the Blues to make a ridiculous offer on Steve Bernier out of pure spite.

Again, it's highly unlikely, but I wouldn't bet my life on it. In a league where some teams are desperate to fill key roles (and some very incompetent GMs still inexplicably retain their jobs) it's a very real possibility.

Tell you the truth, I think if the Preds aren't careful Shea Weber most certainly will get an offer if he isn't signed/traded before July 1st.
All they need to do is take Weber to arbitration all he'll be protected from offer sheets until that time comes. That gives them extra time to negotiate.

Old
05-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
All they need to do is take Weber to arbitration all he'll be protected from offer sheets until that time comes. That gives them extra time to negotiate.
And they'll do that for sure, unless he gets traded Weber isn't leaving Nashville this offseason.

Closed Thread