HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

DO I smell another lockout??? NHL files to terminate CBA

Old
05-17-2012, 07:36 AM
Habitant le colon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspirine View Post
Please no. I'm getting my big screen TV and upgrading to HD in september.
wait to buy a bigger and better screen in 3d !

Habitant le colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:36 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

There is ZERO chance there will be a lockout.

There will be tweaks here and there but the new CBA will look alot like the last one...

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:44 AM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsRock View Post
There is ZERO chance there will be a lockout.

There will be tweaks here and there but the new CBA will look alot like the last one...
I'd like to think that as well. One thing to consider is that after getting seemingly hosed in the last CBA, the players went out and got Fehr, who's known to be a hard nosed negotiator as per his baseball days. That being said, NHL will want to cut players share of the take which is about 57. Of total revenue. If the nhlpa can cut it to 50% and get concessions from the NHL than the can work it out. I'm not sure what they could get from the NHL that could come close to making that concession though. If taking a smaller cut of the revenue is a non starter than I can easily see a lockout.

You have to keep in mind that most teams are in the US in non hockey markets. Most of the owners see their team as a money making business. If they have to shut it down for a season and no lose money, their fine with that if it means being more profitable from a business stand point which it absolutely will be. It's not too far fetched to believe a lock put is possible.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:02 AM
IceDaddy
24 and Counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I'd like to think that as well. One thing to consider is that after getting seemingly hosed in the last CBA, the players went out and got Fehr, who's known to be a hard nosed negotiator as per his baseball days. That being said, NHL will want to cut players share of the take which is about 57. Of total revenue. If the nhlpa can cut it to 50% and get concessions from the NHL than the can work it out. I'm not sure what they could get from the NHL that could come close to making that concession though. If taking a smaller cut of the revenue is a non starter than I can easily see a lockout.

You have to keep in mind that most teams are in the US in non hockey markets. Most of the owners see their team as a money making business. If they have to shut it down for a season and no lose money, their fine with that if it means being more profitable from a business stand point which it absolutely will be. It's not too far fetched to believe a lock put is possible.
The league has grown too much in the states in the last few years, and thier new deal with NBC is getting really good numbers as well.

They wont undo all that work with a lockout.

IceDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:10 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I would never want to underestimate the stubbornness of either side here. We haven't really heard much about the bargaining stance of either, things *shouldn't* be as dire and entrenched as the last time, so "in theory" we should probably feel more optimistic. But who knows. I figure a lot will depend on just how much Fehr really wants to establish himself. The NHL probably can't ask for too too much in the way of concessions, but if Fehr really opens up with a lot of lofty counter-bluffs I could see him really putting Bettman off to the point where the two of them basically go on an ego-war that leaves us out in the cold for a while. Not likely, but perhaps also not impossible.

Blind Gardien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:15 AM
Habitant le colon

Quote:
The league has grown too much in the states in the last few years, and thier new deal with NBC is getting really good numbers as well.

44 435 629 tickets sales (approximativly) I'm pretty SURE they won,t turn that down ... they need it badly !! just to say 5 of 8 bestseller tems were CANADIAN !

Habitant le colon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:08 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Ouch, Chicago 200 straight sell outs and losing money.

LyricalLyricist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:05 PM
29dryden29

I can see Fehr sitting pat on things and the owners wanting more money back and that won't fly with the PA so I am not about to think things are going to be all roses and tulips I hope but I see this being a little more difficult than most seem to think it will be.

29dryden29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:14 PM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Amnesty Buyout Clause here we come!!!

I wonder if T Bay would buyout Vinny Lecav's mammoth contract? I can just see this go up on the Eklund site as an E4 rumour.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:16 PM
Bullsmith

The owners will drive this. Last time they drove the league into a shutdown to get a hard cap and it turns out to have basically f'd them. Sure a few teams would spend more, but the floor hit is so high now that players salaries have basically skyrocketed since the lockout.

The owners want a rollback, for sure. How far are they willing to go to get it? No way of knowing. The NBA owners got a big cash grab, but for the NHL this would be two times in a row, I have to think nobody wants to shut down the league again.

Really the owners made this bed. They should have to lie in it for a while before they punish the fans yet again. Not that the players are angels, but just like last time I suspect they'd happily live with the status quo.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:20 PM
GordonGraham

All the blame should be put on the owners/gm

The entry level contract system is working fine
The Ufa system is working fine

They have at their disposal the perfect system( rfa+ collusion not make any offers) to limit the cost of the 2nd contract and still they overpay like crazy

Those guys are freaking RFA no one will make them an offer so they have 3 choices
take a fair deal, stay home or go the khl theres no need to pay them 3m-4m-5m -6 m a year till they reach ufa status.

GordonGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:27 PM
TheCanasianfrasian

Send a message via MSN to TheCanasianfrasian
With the NFL and NBA having successfully negociated their new CBA without cancelling a whole season, i would think its the NHL and the NHLPA' best interest to come to terms asap.

TheCanasianfrasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:46 PM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanasianfrasian View Post
With the NFL and NBA having successfully negociated their new CBA without cancelling a whole season, i would think its the NHL and the NHLPA' best interest to come to terms asap.
The NBA threw away more than half a season. Not that I care same for the NFL neither sport is worth my time to watch.

Old
05-17-2012, 02:06 PM
habitue*

We should all "fear" Fehr !

He's one of the main reasons why there is no major league baseball in Montreal anymore.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:34 PM
llamateizer

Lockout = I'll be mega mad and might stop watching hockey

llamateizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 06:32 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewBACHa View Post
Me too I will not watch hockey during the lockout

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:16 PM
Noob616

Quote:
I'd like to sit here and say this, but I know that when push comes to shove I'll still watch the Canadiens as soon as they come back.

Noob616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:18 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
Amnesty Buyout Clause here we come!!!

I wonder if T Bay would buyout Vinny Lecav's mammoth contract? I can just see this go up on the Eklund site as an E4 rumour.
Oh crap... here comes the new Lecavalier to Montreal saga...

I'd offer him a contract tho!

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 02:34 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
I was so ****ing mad at the last 2 lockouts...

I start hating the players, owners...all of them!!

All of them make so much ****ing $$$$$ (waaaaaaaaaay too much), yet...they still have lockouts.

****ing greedy...all of them.

Would love to see fans go on strike.
Players, owners...none of them get their $$$$.

The only positive about the lockout:
we don't have to pay Markov, Kaberle, Rene Bourque, etc...!!
And the possiblity of us getting lucky with the lottery.

Watch them come to terms and agree to a 41 game season.
What a ****ing joke. (this will ruin our hockey pools ).

For those who think there will be no lockout...I really hope you're right 'cause fall/winter/spring without our Habs will be so ****ing depressing.

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 05-18-2012 at 04:35 AM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:34 AM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
They will have to do what the Canadian teams do, raise their prices...or gut who ever runs their business, because they are not doing something right...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:36 AM
BLONG7

Quote:

Let's hope you are right...revenues are at a all time high...the boys have to learn how to share it...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:12 AM
29dryden29

Don't count on the 2 sides getting along look at this comment from Fehr's brother..

http://www.thestarphoenix.com/sports...166/story.html

Quote:
We got an inkling of what the players don't want from Steve Fehr, the NHLPA special counsel. He was filling in for his brother during the conference of the Sports Lawyers Association in San Diego and he appeared to draw a line in the sand when he told Sports Business Daily's Liz McMullen that the players would fight any attempt to cut their share of hockey related revenue.

"I think it is fair to say that if the approach is what many are predicting, that the owners come in and say we have to shave five, 10, 15, 25, 30 - pick a number - points off the percentage of revenues in the cap that players receive, there may be a lot of players who say: 'Wait a minute, we already gave at the office,' " Fehr said.

"We made massive concessions last time that were designed to fix your so-called problems," he continued. "If it has not fixed your so-called problems, we need to have a long, hard discussion about what those problems are and what we should do about it."

Old
05-18-2012, 11:15 AM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogsFan View Post
Uhh.. what?

This is procedure when negotiating a new CBA. Otherwise the CBA stays in effect for another year.
Yeah I read somewhere that the NHL had 120 Days to terminate it, or it would automatically renew for another year

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:44 AM
29dryden29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurentHabs View Post
Yeah I read somewhere that the NHL had 120 Days to terminate it, or it would automatically renew for another year
Knowing that neither side is truly ready to come to the table let it run and start to negotiate while still under the current deal and hammer out a new one.