HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Being a Fan Can Pay-Off!

Old
05-13-2012, 04:43 PM
Wooty

vCash: 500
Being a Fan Can Pay-Off!

I am a middle aged man who has been a Kings fan for about 40 years. Other then the time I was in the Army and a bit after I have been a pretty strong follower of the games I could watch on TV. I have been a Kings fan the entire time. I don't jump on other bandwagons - although I can enjoy and appreciate other teams playing well. I just stick with the Kings.

I don't go to many games and have never been to many over the years as it is/was to expensive. I was at the Miracle on Manchester when I was in high-school! I was also hit in the shoulder by a Darryl Evans slapshot that went over the glass, off my shoulder, and on up toward the flags (wow that was a bruise).

Also I fulfilled a lifetime dream and I have actually played ice hockey locally. I coached my kid's midget team when he was of that age and played as much as I could afford for close to 20 years now. Hockey has been a major part of my entire life.

Unfortunately I also have some health problems. From the time I was in the Army I have suffered from bad anxiety disorders and severe depression. My problems are so severe, I actually get "disabled Vet" status and financial compensation for my problems from the V.A. I receive what is probably considered the ultimate treatment for the problems at the V.A. My problems have caused me to quit hockey seasons due to anxiety and panic attacks.

Sometimes even watching the games on TV can be rough on the anxiety and posting on the message board can drive me batty. (Must avoid Ranger fans...)

Being a fan for such a long time makes times like this even more fun. While I am not a Kings player - (I woud do it cheap if they made the offer - I even have my own gear, I just need some sticks ) and I can't afford to go to the games I am a supporter and I try to project my support towars the team as they play. I work hard to find as much fun from the wins and play-off progress as I can while I do what I can to not let the losses hurt me.

Even the games they lose (remember that?) can be pleasant because we can work out what needs to be done to improve. Even if the Kings get swept from here on, I have had a good time watching the excitement that this season has brought me and us. I enjoy posting on the message board during games. If they lose we can discuss why and think about next season as well but really, I just always try to stay objective and at the very least, avoid being over the top negative.

Anyway, to continue to win and even to bring out the shiny stuff at the end would really mean a lot to me. I am sure that we all feel that way and we hope that we get a chance to see our favorite team lift the frustration away from us. We, as long time fans of a long suffering team can enjoy every win more then the others. Some fans are spoiled and winning means less!

The ultimate would be to see the years of disappointing and frustration take away as DB shows us what the commissioner has just given him. (Wouldn't it be cool to be the city that doesn't boo Bettman? He should be cheared like Santa)

I hope to continue this but even if it ends, I am enjoying the ride.

Wooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 04:51 PM
King Richards
Dry Island II

Nice post, Wooty. I've only been a Kings fan since '93 but I can relate to a lot of your sentiments. Like you said, I'm hoping for the best, but no matter what happens, I feel like I've been given a gift watching the Kings make it to the final four this year.

GKG!

King Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 04:52 PM
fyrescorp

Amen, sir. Thank you for your service and God speed through your journeys. My son returned from his tour and went through much the same (to a lesser extent). Hang tough.

fyrescorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 05:00 PM
Kings4thecup

I feel ya' Wooty. I'm pushing 40 and have been a die hard since 1984. This is great run and I so want to see them continue it. GKG!

Kings4thecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 05:15 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Is this where all the over 40 guys chime in about how tough it's been being a fan of this team since 1980 and before ?

I'm there with ya ...

I was going to type some long babble post myself, but decided against it ... but one of the main points I wanted to make in it, was to all the YOUNGER Kings fans on these boards. You kids really don't know how special it is seeing what you're seeing. I was there at the Forum Club in 93 during our last "serious" Cup run ... that was 19 years ago ... NINE TEEN FREAKING YEARS AGO KIDS !

My point ? THIS IS SPECIAL, you never know how often it comes along, so appreciate it while we have it and enjoy it to your fullest, you want to brag and shout out you're a Kings fan and bad mouth all the other teams ... well as an older guy that knows our team has had so little to brag about, I wouldn't ... cue riseandfall's posts ... but you know what ... GO FOR IT ! ... the chance doesn't come along that often, so take advantage of it while you can, but remember to temper it with a dash of humility when you do so.

God I can't believe we've waited so long for this team to be good enough to get back here, thank you Kings, thank you Lombardi, thank you Taylor, thank you Sutter, thank you Murray's because even though as a team we've had our ups and downs THIS is what makes the chance of winning it all feel so special right now. I hope we get to see it in our lifetime, I hope we see it this year ... come on boyz I know you have it in you ... win it ... WIN IT ALL ... but as stated even if you don't ... THANK YOU for the high and the wonderful feelings that I have right now watching you guys give it everything you've got.

GO KINGS GO !

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 05:25 PM
Wooty

Please excuse me, my message was not about the military or the VA, it is just an explanation about me.

Being a Kings fan really hasn't been tough to me. While I am aware they are and have been under-achievers I really try not to take this onto myself.

They are what they are and they are here for us to enjoy. We don't need to be upset or down when they are not enjoyable. When they struggle we watch and enjoy the sport and the complete game. We root for The Kings but we appreciate the other team.

We do take advantage of the recent success and we bask in the glow that they put off. Trust me, they get some of our energy too while they play. Maybe my crazy makes me imagine that though

Old
05-13-2012, 06:11 PM
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richards View Post
Nice post, Wooty. I've only been a Kings fan since '93 but I can relate to a lot of your sentiments. Like you said, I'm hoping for the best, but no matter what happens, I feel like I've been given a gift watching the Kings make it to the final four this year.

GKG!
Ah...a ROOKIE!!!

BTW...I have 20 years on you on being a diehard kings fan...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 06:13 PM
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
Is this where all the over 40 guys chime in about how tough it's been being a fan of this team since 1980 and before ?

I'm there with ya ...

GO KINGS GO !
Speak for yourself... No matter what that lying piece of plastic in my wallet says...I'm STILL 39...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 06:58 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooty View Post

Being a fan for such a long time makes times like this even more fun. While I am not a Kings player - (I woud do it cheap if they made the offer - I even have my own gear, I just need some sticks ) and I can't afford to go to the games I am a supporter and I try to project my support towars the team as they play. I work hard to find as much fun from the wins and play-off progress as I can while I do what I can to not let the losses hurt me.

The ultimate would be to see the years of disappointing and frustration take away as DB shows us what the commissioner has just given him. (Wouldn't it be cool to be the city that doesn't boo Bettman? He should be cheared like Santa)

I hope to continue this but even if it ends, I am enjoying the ride.
Nice post Wooty! I have been in a dream-like trance since they went up 2-0 on Vancouver.

This is all new territory for us.

And you are right; "I hope to continue this but even if it ends, I am enjoying the ride."

From the jinx's are meaningless dept since we've already gone 8-1 in POs: I have already been asking myself how much I would pay for a SCF series-clinching game at Staples Center. hmm.... I don't know what my ceiling would be.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 07:02 PM
King Richards
Dry Island II

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZIE King View Post
Ah...a ROOKIE!!!

BTW...I have 20 years on you on being a diehard kings fan...
Don't hold it against me, I was 8

King Richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 07:10 PM
cyclones22

I know the feeling. I turned 41 this year and it's moments like this that make it all worth it. This is the first year where I looked at this team and thought legitimately they could beat anyone. Of course, the journey to that level of play happened later than I hoped, but my faith that they were capable, never changed.

This team has now made the playoffs 3 straight years and have improved their performance each year. Yes, they lost in 6 last year, same as 2010, but no Kopitar in the lineup can't be discounted. They're moving from contending to make the playoffs each year to annually contending to win the Cup. I'm proud of this team, regardless of what happens next, but I'm not ready for this ride to end. I hope we don't know when that end is until June.

cyclones22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 07:12 PM
Wooty

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Richards View Post
Don't hold it against me, I was 8
When I was 8, I think I went to the old Kings vs Bruins playoff games, They had a bit of a rivalry in the old wacky schedule years.

Also, for those that were fans and don't know, Vic Venasky is in the skate shop in Bay Harbor, he usually is my skate sharpener. Very nice guy and works hard with the kids teams.

Bay harbor is usually where I go skating on the weekends (I was there last night). Maybe one day, if I can get it together, I hope to play again.

Old
05-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Peter James Bond

I am with you, Wooty. My first game was one in which my 6th grade
teacher took 4 of his students to a game in 1972. A 3-1 loss to Les Canadiens. Don 'Crazy' Kozak scored the lone King goal. At the time, I used to be upset when a TV show I liked was not aired, and they played a King game (back when they aired 15 games a year) in it's place! After my first game, I immediately took up street hockey...then soon was playing on roller skates...and my dad started taking me and my 2 brothers to games. I also eventually played a few years on ice as well.

I recall the first playoff games and listening to them on the radio...and crying when we were eliminated. I was fortunate over the years to attend BOTH the Miracle on Manchester and Frenzy on Figueroa! I was quite lucky to have seen both, as my average attendance was about 15 games a year. I recall my ex getting up to leave the one vs the Red Wings with about 6 minutes to go...I said, "we're not going until we hear that horn go off 4 times!" She said "yeah, right...I'm just going to the restroom"...that horn did go off 4 times! Amazing. Among other highlights...going to training camp as I typically did to watch the new players and kids take the ice....and in 1995, I got to the rink (the one Luc owned in the Valley) and I got there the first day around 7:30 AM. I went in that little cafe at ctr ice and had a coffee...looked up and saw Gretzky talking to someone at a nearby table.This was right at the start of the internet and I was still getting The Hockey News...the paper out of Toronto. Gretz looked at me and said "can I see your News?" I said, sure, if you sign my hat!. He obliged and was cool.
Another time I saw Bernie Nicholls at some concert (pre-Gretz era) at the Universal Ampitheatre. He was walking up the aisle. I said, "Hi, Bernie, how are you" and we started talking hockey...my ex looked at him and said "you're Bernie Nicholls?" Geez...good times.

Going to games in each round in the 1993 Cup run...sitting above the tunnel in the first ever Stanley Cup Finals round in LA...the game of the 'Mark Hardy hit'...and Leclair ruins it in OT, 50 feet from me.

I one time was going to make a shirt 'LA KINGS FAN - Years Suffered' and add a year each year to it after each, suffered season.
That was some 30 years ago...the thing would have been getting on 40 years and worn to shreds. I would NOT be adding a 40th year this year!!!!! The Kings will win the Cup in 2012. And in 2013, by the way!

Wooty - I hope all things in your life and health get better and you prosper! I declare a shift in your health and wellbeing and depression is lifted from you - body, mind and soul.

Peter James Bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Wooty

As the game gets ready to go I feel so good. My issues fade away and I hope everyone else can enjoy the games as much as I do. This is only good, there is no bad here. Even if things don't go as we wish, the fun is in the ride.

Old
05-14-2012, 02:07 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

You guys all know my story, I won't repeat it again, but I've been around almost from the very beginning.

Lots of frustration, especially this year, when I finally broke down and bought season tickets for the first time. Then, after watching them bungle through the season, a season where we were predicted to be Cup contenders, and to see a sub-.500 team early on, I was very unhappy.

What we have seen over the past 21 games in the season, and now 10 games into the playoffs, is really just unbelievable in many respects. In some ways, I am having a hard time believing what I am seeing. I guess that happens when you been around as long as I have and seen disappointment after disappointment. I keep expecting to wake up from the "dream."

It's been a great ride, but I want more. I want it all, this year. Now. The Time Is Now. It's Our Time.

Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 10:59 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Thanks for your service Wooty.

And I don't think you are the only one who gets anxiety from watching the Kings. Last year after San Jose completed their big comeback, I nearly tossed my new 45" LED TV through my front picture window. The latest of what is likely several dozen other similar scenarios.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:00 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
You guys all know my story, I won't repeat it again, but I've been around almost from the very beginning.

Lots of frustration, especially this year, when I finally broke down and bought season tickets for the first time. Then, after watching them bungle through the season, a season where we were predicted to be Cup contenders, and to see a sub-.500 team early on, I was very unhappy.

What we have seen over the past 21 games in the season, and now 10 games into the playoffs, is really just unbelievable in many respects. In some ways, I am having a hard time believing what I am seeing. I guess that happens when you been around as long as I have and seen disappointment after disappointment. I keep expecting to wake up from the "dream."

It's been a great ride, but I want more. I want it all, this year. Now. The Time Is Now. It's Our Time.
Guys like you and Wooty make me want to see the Kings win even more. I've been a fan since 1988 and have had to suffer through a lot. I couldn't imagine another two decades of it!

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:18 AM
Kings man 4 life

93 fan myself, I was also 8 during then, glad that we have Kings fans from multiple generations. I also was severely disappointed with this regular season, not winning the Division when it was ours to lose sucked. But this run in the playoffs is just incredible and honestly its hard to believe what I'm watching, having confidence in this team is surreal, I don't feel like my team is the underdog anymore, that they can win and should win, it won't be by luck or anything like that. Its hard to grasp hehe, but man its fun! Something I will always cherish, but I'm also greedy I won't that CUP! To all my fellow Kings fans especially the Old Guard members out there I hope this is the year.

Kings man 4 life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 11:50 AM
BallPointHammer
Franchise Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch 19 View Post
Nice post Wooty! I have been in a dream-like trance since they went up 2-0 on Vancouver.

This is all new territory for us.

And you are right; "I hope to continue this but even if it ends, I am enjoying the ride."

From the jinx's are meaningless dept since we've already gone 8-1 in POs: I have already been asking myself how much I would pay for a SCF series-clinching game at Staples Center. hmm.... I don't know what my ceiling would be.
Same feeling for me after going up 2-0 on Vancouver. At that point I thought, "we are going to win the cup this year!"

Being a Kings fan all these years has made this season very special and the way everything has come together has been magical. I am so happy for all my fellow Kings fans!!!

BallPointHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 12:04 PM
Wooty

Being a long time fan makes it very special.

You don't have to be a long time fan though, you just need to know, appreciate and most importantly, respect the history. Unfortunately that is severely lacking on the message board.

It doesn't matter what the teams are, a respect for past is important (I guess that is in everything - even beyond hockey)

Be a Kings fan and enjoy the ride. Your pleasure will be greater when you look behind the Kings team history

Old
05-14-2012, 01:53 PM
Fat Elvis

Isn't this fun. What a ride, a serious "E" ticket. 7 more guys.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-14-2012, 01:58 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DP View Post
Isn't this fun. What a ride, a serious "E" ticket. 7 more guys.
Fans born after 1970 (or so) have no idea what an "E" ticket is. And I'm fine with that.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:50 PM
Wooty

The ride continues and the momentum is quite fun.

Now I am learning that he main boards is not a very fun place to be. Actually, all honesty, I knew this and for some reason I keep going back. I think to best enjoy things, you have to just not look at those who are trying to find their own fun at your expense.

Old
05-16-2012, 05:31 PM
yankeeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan View Post
Thanks for your service Wooty.

And I don't think you are the only one who gets anxiety from watching the Kings. Last year after San Jose completed their big comeback, I nearly tossed my new 45" LED TV through my front picture window. The latest of what is likely several dozen other similar scenarios.
Thats funny because about that same time I almost tossed a 45 yr old shark fan thru the plexiglass in sec 319, ahh the memories

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:48 PM
Pharseer

vCash: 50
Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeking View Post
Thats funny because about that same time I almost tossed a 45 yr old shark fan thru the plexiglass in sec 319, ahh the memories
I do love Kings fans!

Thank you Wooty, I have also been a fan of the Kings for over 40 years, I don't think of the tough times, ONLY the memories the Kings have given me that will last a lifetime.

The Kings are my heart and soul.

Pharseer is offline   Reply With Quote