HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Right On Schedule?

Old
05-15-2012, 06:44 PM
bral
Go Kings!

vCash: 500
Right On Schedule?

Obviously not a straight line of progress but it's year 6 of the Lombardi regime and i'm curious what the opinion is of our GM and his product. This is not an eat crow thread(we all were doubters at some point this season). This is more about where we're at now and where we're going to be in the near future. Is this overachieving or are we this good going foward?

Imagine if we could go all the way this year. What kind of team would DL ice with the leeway of already having won a cup? I would love for this team to be in the position to make smart proper aquisitions not "panic moves" without the sometimes overwhelming pressure to succeed.

GO KINGS GO! not always posting but always watching.

Last edited by bral: 05-15-2012 at 06:54 PM.
bral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 06:52 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
If the Kings win the cup, Lombardi can keep his job until he is ready to retire.

I don't care what he does after the Kings win the Stanley Cup.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 06:57 PM
DaAnimal

ahhhhhhhh i just dont want to think about that atm.

Just win boys play it day by day!

DaAnimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 06:58 PM
theMajor

as long as he re-signs Quick in the offseason this team will be solid for years to come. Im not too sure about Gagne's status and what DL plans to do with him but we could use a top 6 LW, other than that I think we're good

theMajor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:16 PM
SLang

For now, until they stop buying in to Sutter's system, yes, they are this good. Some might even argue they're better than this with Clifford, Gagne, and Parse mostly ready and waiting in the wings.

I think the common consensus is, if anything, they've been underachieving and we are really only now seeing the team for what it is.

I started a thread three years ago with a poll about when we were expecting a cup run. Guess which year won the poll?

SLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:24 PM
BallPointHammer
Franchise Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
For now, until they stop buying in to Sutter's system, yes, they are this good. Some might even argue they're better than this with Clifford, Gagne, and Parse mostly ready and waiting in the wings.

I think the common consensus is, if anything, they've been underachieving and we are really only now seeing the team for what it is.

I started a thread three years ago with a poll about when we were expecting a cup run. Guess which year won the poll?
Maybe this is a reasonably intelligent group of fans.

BallPointHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Posted this on June 4, 2011:

Quote:
Well, we will see who wins a cup first (post-lockout): Lou (Devils-$100 million player), Sather (Rangers-Lots of UFAs), Wilson (Sharks-Big trades) or Lombardi (Kings-Draft).

Then we will know which method was "correct".
Three of them still have a chance this season....

Old
05-15-2012, 07:28 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...d.php?t=620893

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:29 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

well we COULD be Toronto w/ Burke

Last edited by Puck U: 05-15-2012 at 07:34 PM. Reason: brain fart on time line ... I can't count
Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:33 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
We're IN season FIVE of his regime ... you can call it year 6 only because he was hired on as Kings President/General Manager on April 21, 2006 ... but this IS the FIFTH SEASON he's iced a team, and look where they are ? Maybe this ******* just IS the smartest man in the room, because he said it would take 5 years and here we are
Only because AEG fired Murray.

Like I said for years, I wanted to see this roster with another coach. I was wrong about Sutter (initially), but I was right about Murray.

Old
05-15-2012, 07:39 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Like I said for years, I wanted to see this roster with another coach. I was wrong about Sutter (initially), but I was right about Murray.
I dunno about that ... granted THIS year and the results now, sure Murray's time had come, but can you say we'd be seeing the same results say last season had Lombardi replaced Murray with Sutter ? I kind of don't think so, but of course no one can say for sure either way ... but what I wish people would stop saying is that Murray was a BAD coach, he wasn't, he was the right coach for awhile when we were a young team core that needed his style of defense and level headedness to install the foundations of what Sutter was able to walk in to and only need to tweak slightly rather than scrap completely and rebuild like we did when we went from Crawford to Murray.

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:40 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Quote:
Only because AEG fired Murray.

Easy on the back-patting. You wanted Murray fired 3 years ago, which would have been a premature disaster. The team needed Murray at the time he was hired and up until 6 months before he was canned. Ideally he would have been let go at the beginning of this season, but the actual timeline seems to be working out just fine.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 07:45 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

excuse my memory, but why does everyone keep talking about a 5 year plan. I don't remember Lombardi saying anything about 5 years getting us a Stanley Cup, yet that's the measuring stick everyone keeps talking about. I remember him talking about phases, but that's all.

This is a real question. Since so many people refer to this 5 year plan, I'm sure someone can dig up something that everyone is referring to.

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 08:36 PM
Brodeur

Quote:

Well, we will see who wins a cup first (post-lockout): Lou (Devils-$100 million player), Sather (Rangers-Lots of UFAs), Wilson (Sharks-Big trades) or Lombardi (Kings-Draft).

Then we will know which method was "correct"
There's no one answer. The Rangers don't have that many UFAs relatively speaking. Richards/Gaborik obviously are big ticket guys they landed, but their other guys are complementary types in Fedotenko/Rupp/Stralman/Biron. They have quite a few of their own drafted/developed guys as core players (Callahan/Dubinsky/Kreider/Anisimov/Del Zotto/Staal/Girardi). And they got a gift trade from Montreal with Gomez for McDonagh.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-15-2012, 09:07 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Easy on the back-patting. You wanted Murray fired 3 years ago, which would have been a premature disaster. The team needed Murray at the time he was hired and up until 6 months before he was canned. Ideally he would have been let go at the beginning of this season, but the actual timeline seems to be working out just fine.
Why does everyone think that Murray was some defensive savant? There are plenty of coaches that could have been better than Murray. Murray has a two year shelf life. He usually gets fired in year three, dean gave him an extra year.

Once Richards was traded for, the kings needed a new coach. Obviously, dean wasn't going to fire him after Kopitar's injury, but Murray was not the right coach the past two years.

He should have been an assistant coach.

I was wrong about Sutter. But the kings don't defend the same way with Sutter. They pressure everywhere and funnel the play to the edges. Murray had then fall back to home plate.

Anyways, Murray is thankfully in the past and the kings are in the conference finals.

Name one kings player that had regressed under Sutter?

Old
05-15-2012, 09:09 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
There's no one answer. The Rangers don't have that many UFAs relatively speaking. Richards/Gaborik obviously are big ticket guys they landed, but their other guys are complementary types in Fedotenko/Rupp/Stralman/Biron. They have quite a few of their own drafted/developed guys as core players (Callahan/Dubinsky/Kreider/Anisimov/Del Zotto/Staal/Girardi). And they got a gift trade from Montreal with Gomez for McDonagh.
Of course it was simplified to make a point, but the Rangers big moves were UFA's. Something that is unavailable to the LA GMs.

Old
05-16-2012, 12:01 AM
Bigleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
well we COULD be Toronto w/ Burke
Just had to take a shot at us, eh?

Now, let me tell you something. This L.A team is going all the way. They might lose one game in the finals, maybe. I can't recall a team being so dominant through three rounds. So, to the original question posed? Yeah, I'd say you guys are right on schedule. Very impressive!

Bigleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:14 AM
Live in the Now
Global Moderator
YNWA

Awards:
Quote:
Of course it was simplified to make a point, but the Rangers big moves were UFA's. Something that is unavailable to the LA GMs.
They will be now.

Live in the Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:26 AM
null33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bral View Post
(we all were doubters at some point this season).
Not all of us.

But nobody expected this.

null33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:09 AM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
If the Kings win the cup, Lombardi can keep his job until he is ready to retire.
Agreed, no question about it. All about results. And that would be the greatest result ever.

Ultimately there are many things I disagreed with (many were resolved with the latest acquisitions) but you can't argue results.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 09:27 AM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Agreed, no question about it. All about results. And that would be the greatest result ever.

Ultimately there are many things I disagreed with (many were resolved with the latest acquisitions) but you can't argue results.
My biggest problem with Dean was his loyalty to Murray and it was almost to the point were he had to be fired to get a new coach. Thank god AEG stepped in and fired Murray's ass.

I thought Sutter was the wrong choice, but the Flames fans were right, he gets every player on the roster to play at their absolute best. Sutter has never had the amount of talent that the Kings have on their current roster.

10-1 in the playoffs. 6 more wins to go.

Old
05-16-2012, 10:04 AM
TROLLPOSO

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
excuse my memory, but why does everyone keep talking about a 5 year plan. I don't remember Lombardi saying anything about 5 years getting us a Stanley Cup, yet that's the measuring stick everyone keeps talking about. I remember him talking about phases, but that's all.

This is a real question. Since so many people refer to this 5 year plan, I'm sure someone can dig up something that everyone is referring to.

I come from the Is-Land of the eternal five year plan.

I think the Kings and Isles were close in terms of the started time frame of that plan; with the Kings a year ahead. Apparently Lombardi is way better at it than SnoWang.

Go KINGS!!!!

TROLLPOSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:25 AM
rajuabju

Lombardi has been a MASTER at managing the cap.

Look at the cap hits of Richards and Carter... two all-star players with cap hits that are more than manageable. And both signed, long-term, in their prime. But not to deals that are so ridiculously long that we'll be paying until they are collecting social security checks.

Lombardi knows he's going to be giving Quick a big raise. So he's planned it out that we'll have guys like Stoll, Penner either coming off the books or brought back at lower prices.

In a few years, guys like Brown and Voynov will need raises. But by then, Gagne will likely be gone, and cap is already up by a few million.

Maybe its taken him longer than expected. But he's quietly and steadily built a very solid foundation for the LONG TERM. In the next 4-5 years, we dont have any single year where we have multiple, major name UFA's at the same time (like Chicago) which would force us to blow up the core.

rajuabju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:40 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:

Three of them still have a chance this season....
What? The Phoenix Coyotes plan of "throwing together some castaways while trying to keep the team focused during the neverending story of possible relocation" wasn't an option?

To Phoenix's credit, I'm more amazed at their success than ours. They are viewed as a team that should be taking golf lessons mid-seaosn every year, yet they keep getting into the playoffs. Great focus under fire mentality they have. Hope they lose it for two more games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajuabju View Post
Lombardi has been a MASTER at managing the cap.

Look at the cap hits of Richards and Carter... two all-star players with cap hits that are more than manageable. And both signed, long-term, in their prime. But not to deals that are so ridiculously long that we'll be paying until they are collecting social security checks.

Lombardi knows he's going to be giving Quick a big raise. So he's planned it out that we'll have guys like Stoll, Penner either coming off the books or brought back at lower prices.

In a few years, guys like Brown and Voynov will need raises. But by then, Gagne will likely be gone, and cap is already up by a few million.

Maybe its taken him longer than expected. But he's quietly and steadily built a very solid foundation for the LONG TERM. In the next 4-5 years, we dont have any single year where we have multiple, major name UFA's at the same time (like Chicago) which would force us to blow up the core.
I think DL's cap management has been easily the best in the league and it is why we could get Carter at the deadline and why we are able to make pitches to the top guys each year. Maybe now that we have some significant success, we can get them.

kingsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 12:10 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

As far as the cap goes, agreed he has done a solid job with it, but the Kings did catch a huge break with Smyth wanting out. None of this would be possible if he were still on the books. It's why I argued for so long that is was a terrible terrible move to acquire a player on the downside with such an awful cap hit. I'm happy we caught a break though.

With the way Penner and Stoll have played I would considering bringing both back, but the Kings can't match the money some other team may throw at them based on just this post-season. They have to make sure there is plenty of money left for Quick after net season and Brown the year after that.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote