HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012 CBA Talk

Closed Thread

Old
05-16-2012, 05:19 PM
metric

vCash: 500
2012 CBA Talk

So the first steps in another potential lockout have begun. The NHL has served notice to the NHLPA that the CBA will end on September 15 (formality).

Canucks have withdrawn from the Youngstars tournament but will still hold their regular prospects development camp after the draft.

Old
05-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Timmer44

The timing of these bloody lockouts/strikes are always brutal for the Canucks.

In '95, the Canucks had just made a run to the finals. Never really regained their form.

'04 made a good team another year older and the WCE gets dismantled.

'12 is really the Canucks best shot with the current core. A year lost might just close the window completely.

Old
05-16-2012, 05:34 PM
crazycanuck

I can't believe they aren't talking now.

Old
05-16-2012, 06:25 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmer44 View Post
The timing of these bloody lockouts/strikes are always brutal for the Canucks.

In '95, the Canucks had just made a run to the finals. Never really regained their form.

'04 made a good team another year older and the WCE gets dismantled.

'12 is really the Canucks best shot with the current core. A year lost might just close the window completely.
WCE wasn't going to be a factor, who knows how long they would have kept Bertuzzi suspended if that season had been played. I don't think we would have been contenders for the 2005 cup if that season had been played and Bertuzzi was still out. Even if he was back from suspension, Naslund wasn't the same player he was in 02-03.

In '95, they still got past the Blues but got swept by the Blackhawks in 4 one-goal games. The '94 team over-achieved, they weren't a perennial powerhouse in the making. If San Jose hadn't taken Detroit out in the first round, I think the Canucks would have had their hands full with the Red Wings that post-season.

Old
05-16-2012, 06:36 PM
crazycanuck

Here's a good article about the upcoming negotiations
http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph...medium=twitter

Under the current CBA next years cap will be around 69-72M and the floor will be 53-56M.

Talk if the the NHL gets the 50/50 revenue split the cap will be similar to this years (about 64M)and the NHL will want to lower the cap floor to about 44M.

The NHL is also expecting the PA to take a roll back so that teams will be able to fit under the cap.

Not liking how this is shaping up...

Old
05-16-2012, 06:45 PM
BassMason

vCash: 833
If there is a lockout can Kassian play in the AHL?

Old
05-16-2012, 06:49 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post

Under the current CBA next years cap will be around 69-72M and the floor will be 53-56M.

Talk if the the NHL gets the 50/50 revenue split the cap will be similar to this years (about 64M)and the NHL will want to lower the cap floor to about 44M.

The NHL is also expecting the PA to take a roll back so that teams will be able to fit under the cap.

Neither am I. Now I'm starting to think that there will be an extended lock-out. Will there be games played before Kesler returns from injury? The NBA tried to push for a 50-50 split, and that lock-out dragged on until Xmas.

Old
05-16-2012, 06:49 PM
crazycanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassMason View Post
If there is a lockout can Kassian play in the AHL?
Yup, Kesler, Spezza and others did this in the last lockout.

Old
05-16-2012, 06:57 PM
metric

Didn't the lockout season still use up a year on contracts? I can't remember for sure.

Old
05-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Lard_Lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
Didn't the lockout season still use up a year on contracts? I can't remember for sure.
Yeah, it did.

Old
05-16-2012, 08:35 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Ugh. I don't think the NHL can afford to cancel another season. At least I hope not.

Old
05-16-2012, 08:40 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post

rollback is kind of stupid if the cap is going up or even if it is staying at 64m.

Not really sure what is holding both sides back from striking a deal. This CBA has been great for the players and league parity, a few tweaks in the favour of the NHL but nothing brutal and it should have been done quickly.

* lock the floor at 2/3rds of ceiling
* cut back from 57% to 53%.
* start at $66m ceiling.
* no buyout amnesty
* no rollbacks

Last edited by me2: 05-16-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old
05-16-2012, 08:40 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 1000
at least Kesler's shoulder would get a years rest.

Old
05-16-2012, 08:50 PM
thom

Millionaires vs billionaires fighting for more of the pie.Ticket prices will remain high many average working people cannot afford.Average player will make more than most canadiens in their lifetime.Canadian and American soldiers injured and dying for freedom so these individuals can cry about their salaries.

Old
05-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Hammer79

Quote:
Originally Posted by thom View Post
Millionaires vs billionaires fighting for more of the pie.Ticket prices will remain high many average working people cannot afford.Average player will make more than most canadiens in their lifetime.Canadian and American soldiers injured and dying for freedom so these individuals can cry about their salaries.
You're right, the players should take massive paycuts and the owners should drop ticket prices to a price level the 'working man' can afford.

If you want a ticket, you'll have to win a draw or camp over night in a line-up because demand outstrips supply.

No one should run a profitable business while there are Wars on Terror, Drugs, Alzheimer's, Poverty, Women occurring.

Old
05-16-2012, 09:36 PM
thom

I have some problems with your ideas.1.Are the tickets artificaly sold to corporations for tax exemptions.The ownership of teams are owned by banks who are payed mortgage payments to keep the teams affloat.The ownership of stadiums buy the billionaires are given generous tax breaks.Most of the true employees of these teams are getting more than a gas attendant gets just.The whole system is a pyramid scheme which I could get into but won't since this is a hockey site

Old
05-17-2012, 12:02 AM
Ziostilon

if there is indeed a long lockout

who on this club do you think would go the KHL route

imagine a Hamhuis Bieksa pairing in SKA St. Petersburg

Old
05-18-2012, 12:05 AM
Street Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
rollback is kind of stupid if the cap is going up or even if it is staying at 64m.

Not really sure what is holding both sides back from striking a deal. This CBA has been great for the players and league parity, a few tweaks in the favour of the NHL but nothing brutal and it should have been done quickly.

* lock the floor at 2/3rds of ceiling
* cut back from 57% to 53%.
* start at $66m ceiling.
* no buyout amnesty
* no rollbacks
Just going to sit back and let the 2 sides deal with each other. Wonder if there is going to be a divide between the big and small market teams or will be they be one like the last time. Some clubs that you could say were hardliners last time might have switched to the other side. I think Vancouver, Chicago, and a couple of others would fall into that group.

Old
05-18-2012, 02:20 AM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
Like some others here I'm of the opinion that things have been going so well for the league and players under this CBA that it's mind boggling that we could run into another lockout or strike.

Old
05-18-2012, 02:22 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Like some others here I'm of the opinion that things have been going so well for the league and players under this CBA that it's mind boggling that we could run into another lockout or strike.
Yeah. Armageddon didn't exactly come with the salary cap like Goodenow's regime was proclaiming, and the players got a massive increase on the minimum salary for an NHL player. (I think the minimum was something like $185,000 per year prior to the 2005 lockout?)

What do they want now?

Old
05-18-2012, 04:19 AM
BoHorvatFan

This whole thing is very scary. Especially after watching the NBA take a few months off then pick up like they never missed a game.

Old
05-18-2012, 02:30 PM
The Bob Cole
Ohhhh Baby.

We're not going to lose a season, there definitely isn't the same feeling heading into this round of negotiations as last. There are some issues, but none were as monstrous as the salary cap last time. This is more of an ego check than anything.

I think we may lose the first month, if that, but I would be surprised if anything more was lost.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:08 PM
tjolsen

No please goodness...we are already talking about this before the season has even ended!!!

Old
06-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

Official CBA discussion thread

Good time to start this thread, with all the news coming out.

Cory Schneider and Manny Malholtra as Canucks on NHLPA negotiating committee for the new CBA.

Old
06-27-2012, 05:51 PM
The Kassian Train
228 LBS of Pain

NHL can still start on time with no CBA in place after Sept 15th

Interesting that Fehr would say that he has had leagues start without a new CBA in place. Personally I believe it is crucial that they move forward with the season and work on a new CBA during the season.

Quote:
The NHL season could start without a new labour agreement if both sides agree to continue talks beyond the Sept. 15 expiration of the current deal.
Source: TSN

Closed Thread