HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Will fatigue be a big issue?

Old
05-16-2012, 02:52 PM
TigerJack

vCash: 500
Will fatigue be a big issue?

Im not trying to jinx anything, but Ive wondered how much fatigue will affect the games in the final if the Rangers make it.

Im of course talking about the fact that LA is looking to more or less cruise into the final, seemingly effortless. If the Kings sweep Phoenix they enter the final with only 13 played games.
If the Rangers make it through, they will at the least have played 18 games, at the most 21. Including an exhausting 3OT game against the Capitals.

This is maybe a question to the long time fans of NHL, who has followed NHL hockey for years, and maybe have seen a few similar post seasons.

To me it would seem that the deeper into the playoffs you go, the more tired legs affect the game. I would imagine if the Rangers were to meet the Kings in a final, LA would have the upper hand, especially if the series go deep and there are OT games.

Or are the players so mentally strong and the excitement so great, of being in such position, that this has little influence?

Opinions?

Last edited by TigerJack: 05-16-2012 at 02:59 PM.
TigerJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 02:58 PM
Leetch66

Rangers can handle the Kings or Yotes in 5 games . It will be a SOB though to stay up and watch them play and go to work in the morning ...but it should only be for 2 games . Rangers don't get tired...did you not get the memo from Torts on that ???

Leetch66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:02 PM
Leetch3

"Stop coaching, Pat"

Leetch3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:07 PM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

vCash: 587
I'm all for confidence, but let's hold off on the conversation about travel and fatigue until the Rangers beat the Devils four times.

MortUWary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:10 PM
bigbluebird

That's a load of cr*p!

In all seriousness, of COURSE fatigue is a factor. The Rangers have been using sheer will power and Jedi Mind tricks so far to push through this, but d*mn could our boys use a shorter series this round .

Unfortunately, lol, these are the Rangers ahaha.

I mean, nothing's impossible obviously, but there's no way the wear won't grow.

bigbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:21 PM
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

Pat...is this you?

According to Torts, they aren't tired. You don't allow yourself to be tired during this time of their year.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:30 PM
RangerFan09

vCash: 237
Are they tired? Sure

Are they going to say they're tired? No chance in hell

They will push their bodies to the limit and beyond for as long as it takes. They'll be plenty of rest this summer while they wait for their turn with the cup.

RangerFan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:41 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluebird View Post
That's a load of cr*p!

In all seriousness, of COURSE fatigue is a factor. The Rangers have been using sheer will power and Jedi Mind tricks so far to push through this, but d*mn could our boys use a shorter series this round .

Unfortunately, lol, these are the Rangers ahaha.

I mean, nothing's impossible obviously, but there's no way the wear won't grow.
That's why a win tonight is HUGE. Take a 2-0 lead and then get a couple days off to rest up before heading to MSG South. We win tonight we could win in 4 or 5.

broadwayblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 03:52 PM
Blue Seat Spartan
Permanent Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
Pat...is this you?

According to Torts, they aren't tired. You don't allow yourself to be tired during this time of their year.
Bull ****! These New York Rangers have been running on Fighting Spirit, The Force, and SHEER BADASSERY, all at once!!! JUST. WHO. IN. THE. HELL. DO. YOU. THINK. THEY. ARE?!?!?

But in all seriousness, fatigue is the undercurrent theme in the Rangers playoff run so far. I wouldn't want to tempt fate by allowing the Devils to push us to another Game 7.

As the highest overall seed remaining, I expect John Tortorella to step inside a bus, lock the doors, and shout at his players to "**** the Devils to oblivion."

Win tonight, get extra rest, and prepare to PWN the Devils at MSG West for Games 3 & 4.

If the series has to be extended, Game 5 should be the furthest it goes... and I am going to be there to see Captain Cally touch the Prince of Wales Trophy with a grim expression on his face!!!

Blue Seat Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 05:12 PM
Kreider Typical
flex

all depends how long this series lasts. if we sweep then it's a nice full week of rest before the finals. if we only have 1 day of rest(and that's spent practicing) then it's a scary situation. not worried though.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:13 PM
NYRSkate

I think once the Finals are through the first game or so, God willing, the teams will be on even footing. Irregardless of games played, by that point the season will be almost nine months old, and for two teams not used to playing this deep into the calendar year, it will have an effect.

Also, the Kings' cross-country flight might even the playing field ever so slightly for game 1. Maybe.

NYRSkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:17 PM
eco's bones

Kings are playing really well. Whoever plays them are likely not going to run right over them.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 06:23 PM
NYRantLftyC19

Torts said earlier in the playoffs that he gives them adequate time to rest and heal up. I'm sure they do very little practicing and more video and strategy as they get further into the playoffs. I seriously don't think it will be an issue with such a young team.

NYRantLftyC19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 10:03 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerJack View Post
Im not trying to jinx anything, but Ive wondered how much fatigue will affect the games in the final if the Rangers make it.

Im of course talking about the fact that LA is looking to more or less cruise into the final, seemingly effortless. If the Kings sweep Phoenix they enter the final with only 13 played games.
If the Rangers make it through, they will at the least have played 18 games, at the most 21. Including an exhausting 3OT game against the Capitals.

This is maybe a question to the long time fans of NHL, who has followed NHL hockey for years, and maybe have seen a few similar post seasons.

To me it would seem that the deeper into the playoffs you go, the more tired legs affect the game. I would imagine if the Rangers were to meet the Kings in a final, LA would have the upper hand, especially if the series go deep and there are OT games.

Or are the players so mentally strong and the excitement so great, of being in such position, that this has little influence?

Opinions?
Yess

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:06 PM
storm fan

THe team looks exhausted!

storm fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:11 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

They've looked a step behind for 2 games now. So yeah it could be a factor.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:21 PM
OverTheCap

I thought the Rangers looked tired in March, so I can only imagine how they feel right now. It's been a long time since they played a full 60 minutes, and even putting in a 40 minute effort is a struggle. Staal is the only one who has the same jump every night and that's because he missed half the season.

Clearing the puck has been an issue all season, but it's getting more pronounced as they get deeper into the playoffs. The Rangers are losing more battles along the board than they were before. However, they have managed to find a way to win playing like this. But I wonder if fatigue will catch up with them at some point.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:29 PM
bobbop
Henrik & Pop

The Rangers looked mentally fatigued to me. Too many mental mistakes. They desperately need a day off (tomorrow) Physically they are young and well conditioned.

And no one is running through the Kings. They play the same style as the Devils. Whomever they play (I've already called the western series) is in for a long hard series.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 11:30 PM
corduroyg

this is a very tired team. we're lucky to be 1-1 at this point. devils have basically dominated the play 4 of the 6 periods. we're gonna need hank to steal a couple more games this series, devils are not gonna sit back like the caps, they gonna keep coming.

corduroyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:12 AM
XLJ

They looked tired for most of the game tonight. I think getting an extra day will help.
Were only playing 5d I do worry a little about them tiring more than the forwards.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:15 AM
theJUMPER

It would be nice if say, McDonagh limped off the ice, then Torts would play Stralman or Bickel for him the next shift. You know, giving him some time to recover instead of being on the ice for the next goal a couple of minute later....

theJUMPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 01:31 AM
bigbluebird

The only bright side is even tired as ****** we still split the first two games. We'll be fine on Sat. We really need to put two games back to back after that tho if we want to make a deep run.

bigbluebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:20 AM
nyrmessier011

Send a message via AIM to nyrmessier011
I think it is going to be, if not already, an issue regardless of what Torts or anyone says. Last nights game was huge, and I said it around here that I thought regardless the outcome, it was a bigger game than Saturdays game 3 for us. To take control of this series after playing 15 games in the playoffs already was really important, and we didn't do it. Now it's looking as though it could be another 6 or 7 game long series. Making the finals after playing 20 or 21 games and facing a team that has played only 13-15 games isn't going to be a good thing at all.

nyrmessier011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:00 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

it already is, we have to win in 5.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:07 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
it already is, we have to win in 5.
Not happening.

When's the last time they won 3 straight?

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote