HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

An Interesting Rangers Playoff Observation

Old
05-17-2012, 01:56 AM
McDunna with Fries

vCash: 500
An Interesting Rangers Playoff Observation

It seems that most of the time an opponent has gotten a wide open shot at the net, it's been a shot by the team's most talented sniper.

First round Alfie had a couple of wide open shots, second round OV had two wide open looks that he buried, and in Game 2 Kovulchuck was left alone when he snapped a nice wrister past Hank.

Some of these goals were during PK situations where our guys unfortunately tripped or fell, but I just found it interesting that all the completely open looks against Hank were by the other team's best players. Correct me if I'm wrong, but just about every single goal from a non-top player opponent did not come from a wide open shot.

Just my two cents.

McDunna with Fries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:09 AM
Hamrat

Perhaps that's just simply a result of them being top-players..?

Hamrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:11 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

they're stars for a reason. they know how to slip the d/find space. too bad gaborik can't do that... not only that, but kovi's shot was one that lundqvist is supposed to take. and wasn't kovi's a pp goal? lundqvist is supposed to take the shooter. he had no option other than to shoot. maybe lundqvist needs to not suck with his glove.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:49 AM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
they're stars for a reason. they know how to slip the d/find space. too bad gaborik can't do that... not only that, but kovi's shot was one that lundqvist is supposed to take. and wasn't kovi's a pp goal? lundqvist is supposed to take the shooter. he had no option other than to shoot. maybe lundqvist needs to not suck with his glove.
Uh? Are you blaming Hank for not saving a perfect shot from short distance, plus it was one of the best snipers in the world. There's not a goalie that saves that shot, in the same situation.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:13 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Uh? Are you blaming Hank for not saving a perfect shot from short distance, plus it was one of the best snipers in the world. There's not a goalie that saves that shot, in the same situation.
i thought it was pretty clear what i said.

the goalie takes the shooter. maybe it's not the best thing for kovi to be the shooter in that situation, but it was a shot that hank had a perfect view of and he has the reaction speed to handle it.

either he needs to be more aggressive and take the net away, or he needs to stop the puck unchallenged. he's a world class goalie. that was not a goal that should've gone in regardless of who shot it. kovi shouldn't have that much space. lundqvist was even out of position on the shot. some shots the goalie has no chance. this one he had one. maybe that's just what hank gets for playing deep.

either way he did not appear to be in position.

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 06:33 AM
evilllempire*

Send a message via AIM to evilllempire*
i think the the way we collapse leaving men open, then we start running around, that's when we blow coverages, especially on opposing Stars (ie. OV, Backstrom, Aflie, Spezza) and now Kovachuk, Parise, etc.

it's a shame that we can't find the wide open chances and space for our supposed "Star" guys, namely Gaborik. He is God Awful out there......

evilllempire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 07:33 AM
Rangers Fail
free james sheppard

What's so annoying is that it seems like whenever the other team gets chances, it's their star players. Whenever the Rangers generate chances, they belong to ham-hands like Boyle, Prust, Feds, Mitchell...

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 07:48 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

It's part of their strategy. Collapse down low leaving point man open. In some cases it's been the other team star wide open.

Flawed strategy. imo.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:20 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
It's part of their strategy. Collapse down low leaving point man open. In some cases it's been the other team star wide open.

Flawed strategy. imo.
Agreed. Yesterday the Rangers got burned twice from deflected point shots. They've been getting burned by those shots since the playoff started.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:24 AM
evilllempire*

Send a message via AIM to evilllempire*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
What's so annoying is that it seems like whenever the other team gets chances, it's their star players. Whenever the Rangers generate chances, they belong to ham-hands like Boyle, Prust, Feds, Mitchell...
yup....we ALWAYS seem to get our best chances with Cement Hands Prust, Rock Hands Boyle, and Johny Gretzky and Co. out there.

ALWAYS

evilllempire* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:25 AM
Mrpuck

Girardi also got picked off trying to get in position to defend against Kovy. I am surprised I have not seen that mentioned more.

Mrpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:22 AM
Onion Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpuck View Post
Girardi also got picked off trying to get in position to defend against Kovy. I am surprised I have not seen that mentioned more.
I'm with you man. I saw it all the up in the 400s. Textbook interference.

Onion Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:38 AM
Sad London Ranger
RIP Boogie

Send a message via Yahoo to Sad London Ranger
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Agreed. Yesterday the Rangers got burned twice from deflected point shots. They've been getting burned by those shots since the playoff started.

Frankly I believe the main reason why they scored is that we continue to flirt with danger by tossing the puck back and forth along the boards, rather than getting the puck out of the zone, especially when we have the chance.

On the Devils 2nd goal we were in possession 3 times before they tied the game with little time left in the period.

MDZ wins the puck and skate behind the net, passes to McD who opts to pass to
Gabby near the Blue line, Gabby tries to play rather than just deflect it.

3 clear possibilities to clear the puck, lobby it into the neutral zone. this system of holding on to the puck can/will bite us. Yesterday the Devils took advantage.

I think we are continuing to play this dangerous game.

P.

Sad London Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:57 AM
lhg39
Manny Malhotra Fan

In honor of meaningless stats, such as the fact that no team playing 14 games in the first 2 rounds ever winning a cup, my interesting playoff observation is that the Rangers are undefeated in Game 3's this postseason, so Saturday is a lock ;-)

lhg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:39 AM
McDunna with Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henriks Broadway Hat View Post
I guess that's exactly what I was getting at and you articulated it much better.

Also, Kovi didn't do anything special last night on that power play. Nothing special about it whatsoever. He just slipped behind the defense because all 4 guys collapsed on the opposite side of the ice. I just don't think it's a great idea to do that when the best sniper on the team is going to be left open.

Old
05-17-2012, 10:42 AM
McDunna with Fries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onion Boy View Post
I'm with you man. I saw it all the up in the 400s. Textbook interference.
Same thing happened to Boyle during one of OV's PP goals

Old
05-17-2012, 10:45 AM
Dangleberry

We usually play deep and give the 2 point men room to skate, similar to what you would see during a power play. Usually we have all the lanes covered but it seems the Devils are able to overcome that by planting a man in front and getting a deflection goal.

Dangleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:37 AM
fscuttle

Send a message via AIM to fscuttle
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooskating View Post
That's not fair that shot was a laser beam into the top corner. That would find the net against any goalie.

fscuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 11:55 AM
Blue Seat Spartan
Permanent Vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sad London Ranger View Post
Frankly I believe the main reason why they scored is that we continue to flirt with danger by tossing the puck back and forth along the boards, rather than getting the puck out of the zone, especially when we have the chance.

On the Devils 2nd goal we were in possession 3 times before they tied the game with little time left in the period.

3 clear possibilities to clear the puck, lobby it into the neutral zone. this system of holding on to the puck can/will bite us. Yesterday the Devils took advantage.

P.
"Safe is Death" has arrived in NY, at least on the defensive end.

Play patty-cake with the puck around the boards instead of lobbing it out at the first opportunity? Brilliant! Even more so when the Devils' forecheck pressure is drooling at the prospect of giveaways in the Rangers' zone!!

And when the Devils retrieve the puck off Rangers turnovers, they're more than eager to shoot away into the slot and let the laws of physics take over for fortuitous bounces -- like their 2nd goal off a deflection.

Last edited by Blue Seat Spartan: 05-17-2012 at 12:01 PM.
Blue Seat Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:11 PM
fscuttle

Send a message via AIM to fscuttle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Seat Spartan View Post

Play patty-cake with the puck around the boards instead of lobbing it out at the first opportunity? Brilliant! Even more so when the Devils' forecheck pressure is drooling at the prospect of giveaways in the Rangers' zone!!

And when the Devils retrieve the puck off Rangers turnovers, they're more than eager to shoot away into the slot and let the laws of physics take over for fortuitous bounces -- like their 2nd goal off a deflection.
I disagree its the careless blind clearing attempts that fail which are causing the problems. If you don't have a open area to clear the puck through then keep it and look to find an open player. The play on the 2nd Devils goal was the right play to make.Gaborik has to be able to get that puck over the blue line.That play was inexcusable.

fscuttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:16 PM
McRanger

Quote:

P.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Seat Spartan View Post

Agree completely.

The Devils know what we do under pressure and they know that we never make adjustments. Dangerous combo.

McRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:22 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

yeah, scrubs won't be able to make that shot 29 times out of 30. That was a super-star shot by Kovalchuk.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:30 PM
Bruinswillwin77
Registered Boozer

vCash: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
yeah, scrubs won't be able to make that shot 29 times out of 30. That was a super-star shot by Kovalchuk.
Playoffs too. KV knows he has to make that a goal.

Bruinswillwin77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:34 PM
BlaqICE

Send a message via ICQ to BlaqICE Send a message via AIM to BlaqICE Send a message via MSN to BlaqICE
Quote:

P.
Exactly my thoughts. That goal doesn't happen if we're just able to clear the zone. You can't try to make pretty plays out of your zone with a team that forechecks so well like the Devils.

BlaqICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 12:49 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

vCash: 50
Hank is great but he isn't going to stop everything. On most nights the shots will have to be almost near perfect to beat him unless he's having an off night which is rare.

Also with the collapsing style it leaves the point more open and therefore more room for shooting. The other problem is the potential for the collapsing player(s) to accidentally screen the goalie.