Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

AHL Affiliate Discussion: Norfolk Admirals

Closed Thread

Old
10-21-2012, 09:19 AM
Carelton CA

vCash: 500
Brad, loved the summary on Friday's game. Do you have one coming on last nights win?

Old
10-21-2012, 05:52 PM
Duck Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
I think moving Lydman would be a mistake. He's probably better than Souray and Allen.

Beauchemin will probably have a down year like Lydman did last year. Shoulders scare me.

Souray also has a wonky shoulder. Personally I'd love to move him if Vatanen is ready, but that has to do with how much I hated that signing in the first place. The team probably won't do it.
Moving Lydman would be a MAJOR mistake. Think about what happened when we did not offer Beach a contract. The D became a "hell on ice." Any injury and we are screwed.

I don't expect a long preseason if the lockout is is over shortly. There will be little time for teams to get ready and little time for experiments. Expect Sami to remain in Norfolk. IMO there is little chance for him to be on the roster in preseason.

Old
10-21-2012, 11:08 PM
Admiral Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Al View Post
On another note, what are peoples feelings about this weekends games against Conn? They where ranked below Worchester, so I feel that the Admirals will sweep. and Im giving the Sami watch a goal and 3 assists for the weekend, with a plus 3
I think I might charge for my next predictions

Old
10-21-2012, 11:36 PM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Fan View Post
Moving Lydman would be a MAJOR mistake. Think about what happened when we did not offer Beach a contract. The D became a "hell on ice." Any injury and we are screwed.

I don't expect a long preseason if the lockout is is over shortly. There will be little time for teams to get ready and little time for experiments. Expect Sami to remain in Norfolk. IMO there is little chance for him to be on the roster in preseason.
You think the situation is the same? Toni is 35 years old. His days are numbered if they aren't already over.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:25 AM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
You think the situation is the same? Toni is 35 years old. His days are numbered if they aren't already over.
He is a bridge guy. Give Sbisa some time before he takes on the extra roll of a shutdown guy that he will need to be on the PK.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:26 AM
AngelDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Agreed. I say they should see if Beauchamin is fine from his shoulder injury in training camp, and then deal Lydman for a second or third round pick.

The thing is that even the people saying that moving him will come back to bite us are really over-exaggerating Lydman's value to the team. Clark/Guenin are probably only a slight downgrade from Toni at this point in his career.

Old
10-22-2012, 12:43 AM
DuckJet
I love Monabae

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
He is a bridge guy. Give Sbisa some time before he takes on the extra roll of a shutdown guy that he will need to be on the PK.
That's fine. I'm not saying he should be moved now. I'm not even saying Vatanen should make the team if the season removes. The only reason one of our prospects should get the call up is if the Ducks aren't as strong without them, not if they'd be a liability that occasionally pays dividends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelDuck View Post
Agreed. I say they should see if Beauchamin is fine from his shoulder injury in training camp, and then deal Lydman for a second or third round pick.

The thing is that even the people saying that moving him will come back to bite us are really over-exaggerating Lydman's value to the team. Clark/Guenin are probably only a slight downgrade from Toni at this point in his career.
Bold: Agree
Everything after: slightly exaggerated.

Last edited by DuckJet: 10-22-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old
10-22-2012, 01:18 AM
BradJohnson
Hockey's Future Staff

Admirals are "Special" in their 6-3 victory over the Whale

Admirals are "Special" in their 6-3 victory over the Whale; improve to 4-0 on the season.
Written by: Brad Johnson

Last night the Norfolk Admirals, top affilate of the Anaheim Ducks defeated the Connecticut Whale, whose NHL parent club is the New York Rangers by a 6-3 margin. The Admirals start mirrored that of each of the previous three games, as the Admirals were the first team to the find the back of the net to start the game. Norfolk has begun the season 4-0 for just the second time in franchise history. The Admirals went 3/8 with the man-advantage and also added 2 short handed goals showing it is possible to defend against that potent Connecticut power play group.

Norfolk found the back of the net at the 4:33 mark of the opening period. With Norfolk on the PK it was First Year pro, Chris Wagner making a sound defensive play by stealing the puck in the neutral zone and sending a quick feed to Troy Bodie who broke free of a hold by Connecticut defenseman Blake Parlett, with the delayed penalty call forthcomthing, Bodie powered past former Admiral Mike Vernace and in alone across the Connecticut blue line firing a wrist shot over the glove of goaltender Scott Stajcer to give the Admirals the early lead, a lead they would not relinquish for the rest of the night. The Admirals have now scored first in each of their four games this season, with a goal being scored within the first five minutes of each conest.

The Admirals jumped out to a two-goal lead while on the power play just over 4 minutes later. This time with the Admirals controlling the puck, Holland a cross ice pass to the point where Vatanen had plenty of room to one-time a blast through traffic that found the back of the net for a 2-0 lead at 8:03

Connecticut got on the board with 4:00 remaining in the period. Collins sent what seemed to be a harmless shot from the point but Kyle Jean re-directed the puck just enough to change the angle as it was deflected into the net behind Andersen to cut the Whale lead 2-1 following 20:00 of play.

It took just :29 seconds into the 2nd period for the Admirals to regain their two goal advantage. Elkins made a beautiful play behind the Connecticut goal, breaking free of a defender while controlling the puck he sent a tape-to-tape pass out to Ryan Lasch who wasted little time snapping a wrist shot over the shoulder as it deflected off the crossbar, and into the twine past Stajcer for a 3-1 Norfolk lead.

At 5:31 of the period it was Connecticut making a sound defensive play in the neutral zone forcing an Admirals turnover, taking advantage of a 2 on 1 break and a crisp pass from teammate Kris Newbury, it was Christian Thomas scoring blocker side on Andersen to cut into the Admirals lead.

With the Admirals killing a penalty, Norfolk won the faceoff in their own end and it was Troy Bodie chipping the puck off the glass and powering past a Whale defender, Bodie quickly skated to the puck near the right point, sending a saucer pass to Wagner who took the puck on his back hand and scoring glove side for his first professional goal. The goal was the Admirals second shorthanded tally on the night which came at 18:08 of the second stanza giving the Admirals a 4-2 lead after 40:00.

In the third period, it was the visitors with the quick start. Just 35 seconds into the final frame, Connecticut took advantage of a power play goal as it was Kolarik scoring to cut the lead to 4-3 with plenty of time remaining for another potential comeback.

The strong start by the Whale was short lived as the Admirals did not let up defensively for the rest of the period and controlled the tempo for the remainder of the contest. Norfolk took advantage of a power play of their own, while enjoying a two man advantage the Admirals cycled the puck with consistency. Vatanen took a shot through traffic, Stajcer stopped the inital shot, however, Maroon was patiently waiting and banged home the rebound chance to make the score 5-3 at 13:42.

With time winding down in the game it was Palmieri who closed out the scoring with just 45 seconds remaining. The puck caromed off the boards and onto the stick of Palmieri who took a quick wrist shot and scored five-hole to put the final nail in the coffin.

Scott Stajcer turned aside 25 of 31 Norfolk Shots in the losing effort, while Andersen denied 32 of 35 shots to secure the victory.

Game Notes:

The Admirals have started a season 4-0 first just the second time in their history. Previous season in which they started 4-0 was the 2010-2011 campaign.

Norfolk has scored first in each of their four games this season. Each goal has come within the first five minutes of the opening faceoff

Holland (2g, 3a) and Palmieri (2g, 4a) have recorded a point in each of the Admirals four games to start the season.

Chris Wagner, Sami Vatanen and Ryan Lasch each scored their first career AHL goals.

Want the most recent Admirals News?
Norfolk Admirals Fans United
http://www.admiralsfansunited.com
http://www.facebook.com/admiralsfansunited
Old
10-22-2012, 01:21 AM
BradJohnson
Hockey's Future Staff

Sorry for the delay on the post-game report. Was under the weather and the post game interviews took longer than expected and as soon as I got home I hit the sack. I look forward to keeping you guys updated through the season though.

I have media access so should there be any questions you would like answered. Feel free to send them my way. Obviously, keep them clean and professional

Old
10-22-2012, 01:32 AM
Gliff
Wild Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradJohnson View Post
Sorry for the delay on the post-game report. Was under the weather and the post game interviews took longer than expected and as soon as I got home I hit the sack. I look forward to keeping you guys updated through the season though.

I have media access so should there be any questions you would like answered. Feel free to send them my way. Obviously, keep them clean and professional
I am curious if you can ask Vatanen how he feels on a smaller rink and if the Ducks brass have told him if they want him to focus on bulking up. Also if he has talked much with Teemu or Saku about playing in the NHL.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:36 AM
BradJohnson
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
I am curious if you can ask Vatanen how he feels on a smaller rink and if the Ducks brass have told him if they want him to focus on bulking up. Also if he has talked much with Teemu or Saku about playing in the NHL.
I'll be at practice on Wednesday so hopefully we'll get these answered for ya.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:42 AM
Sojourn
Global Moderator
Where's the kaboom?

vCash: 50
I'd definitely like to hear if the coaches have any specific focuses in mind for Vatanen. Lindholm too, for that matter. But really, I just appreciate that you're willing to help keep us informed. That's very generous of you.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:49 AM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

Everybody seems to be fine with replacing Lydman with some rookie. Count me in the minority. Toni's trade value is minimal today. Going into the season his value is much higher to us than whatever we could get for him.

Every good playoff team needs a solid, steady, veteran D man on the blueline. If we get to the trade deadline and some rookie has really outplayed Toni to that point then go ahead and trade him. You will likely get as much for him at the deadline as you will at the start of the season (assuming there is a start). Besides, do you really want a raw rookie to add with Fowler and Sbisa (who are still learning the game) to make up half of our D? Especially not knowing how Beauch will come back and how long it will be before Souray get hurt again?

I see Toni as cheap insurance who can be sold at any time for the same price. Let's not get antsy just because everyone wants to see Vatanen in Anaheim so soon.

Old
10-22-2012, 01:54 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Everybody seems to be fine with replacing Lydman with some rookie. Count me in the minority. Toni's trade value is minimal today. Going into the season his value is much higher to us than whatever we could get for him.

Every good playoff team needs a solid, steady, veteran D man on the blueline. If we get to the trade deadline and some rookie has really outplayed Toni to that point then go ahead and trade him. You will likely get as much for him at the deadline as you will at the start of the season (assuming there is a start). Besides, do you really want a raw rookie to add with Fowler and Sbisa (who are still learning the game) to make up half of our D? Especially not knowing how Beauch will come back and how long it will be before Souray get hurt again?

I see Toni as cheap insurance who can be sold at any time for the same price. Let's not get antsy just because everyone wants to see Vatanen in Anaheim so soon.
The thing is, that is the very same reason why so many teams were interested in landing Allen this summer. He is that.

I get exercising some caution, as opposed to trading him off the moment the new CBA is signed, but I also get the sense that the two guys we signed are being sold short.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:11 AM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
The thing is, that is the very same reason why so many teams were interested in landing Allen this summer. He is that.

I get exercising some caution, as opposed to trading him off the moment the new CBA is signed, but I also get the sense that the two guys we signed are being sold short.
It isn't my intent to sell the two new guys short but I do worry about Souray's health over the course of the season. Also I worry about Beauch's health early in the season.

I think you worded it properly, I want to see the team exercise caution. As I said, if Lydman is expendable towards the deadline I'm fine with trading him. But not because everybody wants Vatanen in ANA asap.

Old
10-22-2012, 02:33 AM
AngelDuck

Quote:
It isn't my intent to sell the two new guys short but I do worry about Souray's health over the course of the season. Also I worry about Beauch's health early in the season.

I think you worded it properly, I want to see the team exercise caution. As I said, if Lydman is expendable towards the deadline I'm fine with trading him. But not because everybody wants Vatanen in ANA asap.
It's really not about wanting Vatanen in ANA asap. I want the best players in ANA asap, and if the Ducks find out that Sami is in fact better than Lydman, then I really don't think they should hesitate in dealing Lydman. They need to put the best team on the ice. Now that doesn't mean I think they should blindly trade Lydman away. I think they should evaluate Vatanen in training camp/preseason, and if Boudreau feels like Vatanen is a better fit for the current team than Lydman, then Lydman needs to be shipped out.

Like Exit Dose said, we have plenty of solid, stable, shutdown, veteran defenseman between Beauchamin, Allen, and Souray. Having three old veterans, 2 young veterans(Fowler and Sbisa), and one rookie on the blue line is really not a big deal at all. I actually think it would be a nice blend of size, mobility, and puck movement.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:26 AM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

The training camp if there is one is all of one week long. Rookies don't beat out vets in a one week camp. They seldom beat them out in a full camp. Everybody knows it takes years for D men to develop at the NHL level.

Three are not plenty of solid, stable, shut down D men. Especially when one is coming off of major shoulder surgery the Ducks know all too much about and another is old and very injury prone.

The best team at the beginning of the season will include Lydman not a rookie.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:48 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
Clark/Guenin are probably only a slight downgrade from Toni at this point in his career.
That couldn't be further from the truth. Clark and Guenin couldn't hold Lydmans jockstrap. Clark has looked mediocre at best this year in the AHL where as when Lydman is healthy he is one of the best pure shutdown guys around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
They were? I'm sure he had other offers but I doubt the interest was overwhelming. I've seen a lot of Allen over the years and he's got nothing on a healthy Lydman. He's a good #4 guy but that's about the extent of his abilities.

Old
10-22-2012, 03:54 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
Like Exit Dose said, we have plenty of solid, stable, shutdown, veteran defenseman between Beauchamin, Allen, and Souray. Having three old veterans, 2 young veterans(Fowler and Sbisa), and one rookie on the blue line is really not a big deal at all. I actually think it would be a nice blend of size, mobility, and puck movement.
Souray is average at best defensively. He's good on the PK because he won't get burned as much through the neutral zone by speedy guys but 5 on 5 he's going to get skated around a lot if he's forced into a shutdown role. He's basically a third pairing guy who excels on special teams at this point of his career.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:02 AM
AngelDuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
That couldn't be further from the truth. Clark and Guenin couldn't hold Lydmans jockstrap. Clark has looked mediocre at best this year in the AHL where as when Lydman is healthy he is one of the best pure shutdown guys around.
Lydman is 35. He's not one of the best pure shutdown guys around anymore. His best years are well behind him

Quote:
The training camp if there is one is all of one week long. Rookies don't beat out vets in a one week camp. They seldom beat them out in a full camp. Everybody knows it takes years for D men to develop at the NHL level.

Three are not plenty of solid, stable, shut down D men. Especially when one is coming off of major shoulder surgery the Ducks know all too much about and another is old and very injury prone.

The best team at the beginning of the season will include Lydman not a rookie.
I have no clue how you can be so sure that the best team will include Lydman over Vatanen...

You could be right, but to be so sure seems kind of short sighted in my mind.

There are plenty of rookies who beat out veterans for spots on the team. You're acting like I want the Ducks to just randomly throw Sami out on the top pairing. If Sami does make the team, I want him on the 3rd pairing being sheltered/protected by Souray. That's not a bad way to break in a rookie.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:09 AM
Paul4587

Quote:
Lydman is 35. He's not one of the best pure shutdown guys around anymore. His best years are well behind him
He's only one season removed from his best ever year. Defensemen like Lydman who rely a lot on intelligence and positioning tend to age well. For a stretch near the end of last season I thought Lydman was starting to look like his old self again before he injured his neck (at least I think it was his neck) and had to sit out some more games.

If he's expandable then trade him at the deadline when his value is high and we can be sure he's not needed.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:20 AM
Eddie Shack
Bamboo Harvester

Quote:

I have no clue how you can be so sure that the best team will include Lydman over Vatanen...

You could be right, but to be so sure seems kind of short sighted in my mind.

There are plenty of rookies who beat out veterans for spots on the team. You're acting like I want the Ducks to just randomly throw Sami out on the top pairing. If Sami does make the team, I want him on the 3rd pairing being sheltered/protected by Souray. That's not a bad way to break in a rookie.
It's obvious we don't agree on Lydman's ability, that's why we are both going in the direction we are. Toni may not be 25 anymore but he proved the last half of last year when he was finally healthy that he was still a solid shut down guy. Maybe not an all star but a darn better hockey player than any rookie the Ducks could throw out there tomorrow.

If the season got cancelled tomorrow, and Fehr and Betmann agreed to draw two teams out of hat to play a one game Stanley Cup championship, when the Ducks get picked, I want the vet on the blueline. Not Sami, not Clark, not Guinen, not Lindholm, but Lydman.

Old
10-22-2012, 04:37 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul4587 View Post
They were? I'm sure he had other offers but I doubt the interest was overwhelming. I've seen a lot of Allen over the years and he's got nothing on a healthy Lydman. He's a good #4 guy but that's about the extent of his abilities.
You can search for the FA discussions(not here, I'm talking about insiders) at the time. There were four defensemen that were on everyone's lists: Suter, Schultz, Garrison, and Allen.

Old
10-22-2012, 08:42 AM
Admiral Al

Any word on Smaby, he didnt play Saturday night, was he a healthy scratch on injured?

Old
10-22-2012, 08:58 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Al View Post
Any word on Smaby, he didnt play Saturday night, was he a healthy scratch on injured?
Injured, I think, but I can't remember what the injury was.

Closed Thread