HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

The issue with Canada at World Hockey Championship?

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2012, 08:26 PM
Mehar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
Well something must be done to motivate them. Ovie and Semin looked to be trying hard and interested today. They are "Russians", how come they have out-hearted the "Canadians"??
When it mattered the most, Russia got completely dominated and embarrassed in the 2010 Olympics, and where was Semin and Ovechkin then? After the 2010 Olympics, tthe team made a pact to win the gold medal in the 2010 World Championships with their dream team and they choked that year. They also choked last year with their A team. I am disappointed Canada lost, but nobody gives a damn here, since Sochi 2014 is the next showdown. I predict Russia will choke again this year. Their women are awesome, but Russian teams choke when it is best on best- 1998, 2002, 2006, 2010 and 2004 World Cup. They like beating up everyone's B or C teams at tournaments like this with all their top players playing, but suck when it is best on best for all the teams involved. At least Canada won 3 of the last 4 best on best tournaments. If not for Hasek in 1998, Canada would have won gold that year, while Russia choked that year as well with their star power. I will respect Russia once they win something that is best on best, since they have not done so. This tournament is not everyone's best on best- the top players of Canada and USA who missed the playoffs are on the golf course enjoying life somewhere. I do respect Ovechkin and Semin in never turning down the WHC. It means more to Euros than North Americans plain and simple.

Old
05-17-2012, 09:14 PM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
It's the nature of a knock style short tournament. Upsets happen. If this were an 82 game league or even a 7 game series Canada would likely win quite often.
This. Simply. Same for the Olympics. In a one-game elimination match, a hot goalie can be enough to beat you and one mistake can be enough to sink you. For both sides.

Old
05-17-2012, 09:18 PM
dan1el

Well, as all four olympics where NHLers have been allowed to play have proven:
NA ice: Canada and the US kill everyone
Euro ice: Europeans kill everyone

Should be self-explanatory, Canadian here calling a Sweden-Russia Olympic final in 2014.

Old
05-17-2012, 09:34 PM
Duodenum

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan1el View Post
Well, as all four olympics where NHLers have been allowed to play have proven:
NA ice: Canada and the US kill everyone
Euro ice: Europeans kill everyone

Should be self-explanatory, Canadian here calling a Sweden-Russia Olympic final in 2014.
While I'm hoping for a Canada win, they'll be hard pressed to win it in Russia's back yard. So yea, I agree with you, Canada has trouble on the big ice.

Old
05-17-2012, 09:38 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duodenum View Post
While I'm hoping for a Canada win, they'll be hard pressed to win it in Russia's back yard. So yea, I agree with you, Canada has trouble on the big ice.
We can hope Yzerman and company learned from this WHC and pick not the best NHL players, but the best Canadian players whose game translates positively to international ice. If we have to leave a 50 goal scorer home because he can't skate well enough to be effective in Sochi, I want Yzerman to make the proper call.

Old
05-17-2012, 09:48 PM
Xokkeu

2002 was on big ice.

Old
05-17-2012, 10:13 PM
Melnyks Mirage
We are what we are.

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
The unfortunate fact is that the WHC is simply not valued as much as the Stanley Cup in Canadian culture. Call us weird all you want, but that's simply the way people think in North America. And as long as the NHL and IIHF keep scheduling their biggest tournaments at the same time (and they both have very good reasons to do so, since both are making so much money off those tournaments), the WHC is doomed to forever be second fiddle in Canada.
I agree...needing to tune in at 2 or 3 p.m. when I am usually working and prize isn't meaningful...seeding for Sochi ok I guess, but I just don't give a crap. And this is coming from the biggest Ryan Getzlaf jock-sniffer out there, I am not upset one bit at what happened. The Stanley Cup matters, Olympics to a lesser degree but w/e on the rest of the stuff. World Juniors is nice but we've slipped precipitously of late.

Old
05-17-2012, 10:18 PM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
There was a warning in the thread earlier about bashing the country as opposed to discussing the issues with the team. Locking this up.

Closed Thread