HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

The issue with Canada at World Hockey Championship?

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2012, 08:21 AM
ViD
Arty vs Nash 22:25

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcanadian View Post
Well I'll start caring when they start televising games that don't start at 5:00AM.

Case in point: Most Canadians would rather sleep in than watch them play against Slovakia in the quarterfinals.
Well, most Russians would rather watch Russia play Norway in QF rather than sleep. You sure Canada is still a hockey nation?

Old
05-17-2012, 08:22 AM
waitin425

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedico View Post
They're too arrogant. They cancelled like half of their training sessions, went to night club night before a game..
Good point, maybe this group was too arrogant and didn't care. The players should always care, but the fans on the other hand......

Old
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
Canada has not been anything epic at the Olympics as well, remember they only won on NA soil basically playing at home. They failed miserably outside of their continent
We've won 3 out of the last 4 best on best tournaments, lost in a shootout to the winners in '98, you can troll all yoiu want but it's just hot air.

Old
Ilyeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedico View Post
They're too arrogant. They cancelled like half of their training sessions, went to night club night before a game..
Really? I knew about the night club thing, but I didn't know about the training session. Now I'm really disappointed.

Old
05-17-2012, 08:23 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Sweden lost to Belarus in the knockout round of the 2002 Olympics. Did that precipitate the decline of Swedish hockey?

Sometimes, these games just happen. I thought Canada had the superior team, but they made bad decisions like the one that got Getzlaf ejected. That can make the difference. Credit to Slovakia, they had to earn the win, but let's not get carried away and start talking about the fall of Canadian hockey and stuff like that.

Old
05-17-2012, 08:24 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Well, most Russians would rather watch Russia play Norway in QF rather than sleep. You sure Canada is still a hockey nation?
having a job gives us a reason to get our rest

Old
05-17-2012, 08:25 AM
Camshaft77

I will just copy and paste what I wrote in the game thread.

Disappointing to say the least. I think a point that needs to be said here again is that Canada had chances to get up by 2-3 goals and didn't take their chances. It sucks that Canada threw away the game with mistakes but that is hockey sometimes. I am not going to complain about the penalty because after the Slovaks tied the game I knew they would win. I don't think it was even close to a 5, but everyone is entitled to their own interpretation.
I thought John Tavares articulated how I felt about it very well.

It is a tough loss but all the credit to the Slovaks they played their game plan very well and they showed a lot of grit to win the game.

I am bitter about this, I don't like to lose a beer chugging competition let alone a hockey tournament. I think Hockey Canada has to look at how they build their rosters for this tournament. I like the inclusion of the odd young player but we have to start taking more experienced players. We were the youngest team in the tournament and it showed in this QF loss.

I have faith in Brent Sutter as a coach but one thing bothers me and I have been hesitant to say it for a few years, but I feel now is the time. Why the hell isn't Andy Murray our permanent coach at this tournament? The man has won 3 Gold Medals as the coach at this tournament. He was our coach in 2007 when we ran the table and won the tournament in Russia, the last time we won. I am frankly sick and tired of having coaches that need to adapt to this tournament. Andy Murray should be our permanent coach he gets results. Is their any other nation (just USA?) that appoints a coach every year a month before the tournament?
Hockey Canada has to take a look in the mirror and do some soul searching. Bob Nicholson put it on the guys who did not show last year.... Who is he going to blame this year? It starts at the top Bob and I think he and the other powers that be at Hockey Canada need to evaluate how they prepare for this tournament on the management side of things. Kevin Lowe and crew should not be back next year. Get Yzerman to pick the team, he is picking the Olympic team is he not?
Another thing that has to be mentioned is preparation. Hockey Canada treats the guys like Gold when they go and play but one thing that needs to change is the amount of time the guys get to practice pre tournament. This year they flew over on a Thursday played 2 warm up games then the tournament started a 5 days later. I understand not going to Europe right away, but at least get the guys together and practice before you go. The special teams and d-zone coverage was awful in the tournament and that is mostly due to lack of preparation time. The pp was decent but it surely was not nearly as good as it could have been.
The European teams have an extensive training camp and I believe it benefits them. I am not saying do it the same way but there has to be a way to get more prep time or find a coach who has a proven track record of preparing guys for this tournament ie Andy Murray.

Well to say the least I am a disappointed Canadian who loves this tournament and it is frustrating that we have lost again in the QF.

I know the Olympics are the ultimate goal but this tournament is also a good indicator of how players handle pressure and being out of their comfort zone. Hockey Canada needs to look at themselves this time, it is not only on the players. The whole organization is responsible.

Old
ViD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Kanadensisk View Post
We've won 3 out of the last 4 best on best tournaments, lost in a shootout to the winners in '98, you can troll all yoiu want but it's just hot air.
All these best on best tourneys you won were played in NA and teams like Russia had to play all games in Canada/US. Remember Torino when you guys wew losing to almost everyone?

Old
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
Sweden lost to Belarus in the knockout round of the 2002 Olympics. Did that precipitate the decline of Swedish hockey?

Sometimes, these games just happen. I thought Canada had the superior team, but they made bad decisions like the one that got Getzlaf ejected. That can make the difference. Credit to Slovakia, they had to earn the win, but let's not get carried away and start talking about the fall of Canadian hockey and stuff like that.
Sweden lost to the Slovaks in the 2010 Olympics too...

Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitin425 View Post
The only thing lacking is the best players in the world. This is like an all star game with every teams 3rd and 4th best player playing.
No it's only the Americans and Canadians who think this way. The Europeans don't see it this way at all.

If Canadians don't care about their national team, that's then reflected in how the players react to invites and how the team is built.

Both the US and Canada view this tournament as some sort of U25 tournament. It's their own fault when they don't win. No excuses.

Old
05-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Hockeysemin

Apparently Canada don't have the deep so they can compete when they miss their top player

Old
05-17-2012, 08:27 AM
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
All these best on best tourneys you won were played in NA and teams like Russia had to play all games in Canada/US. Remember Torino when you guys wew losing to almost everyone?
there has only been one best on best in europe and yes we lost there, but Russia hasn't won anywhere so not sure what your point is

Old
05-17-2012, 08:28 AM
waitin425

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
No it's only the Americans and Canadians who think this way. The Europeans don't see it this way at all.

If Canadians don't care about their national team, that's then reflected in how the players react to invites and how the team is built.

Both the US and Canada view this tournament as some sort of U25 tournament. It's their own fault when they don't win. No excuses.
Excuse or not, it is the thruth.....as I said before, congrats to Slovakia and good luck to all the other teams. In NA this tournament is what it is.....not a big deal.

Old
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
That's generally not just from management, but players too.

It is a working vacation for some of these players.

Old
Xokkeu

Quote:
Canada has never won a "best on best" tournament outside of North America.

The funny thing is that Canadians say they don't care about this tournament, but it's the only place where they have won in Europe.

Old
Reikai
Neutral fan

I dont know how anyone can use the "we didnt have our best players" as an excuse. This team was more than enough for a gold medal but when you dont care about the tournament as much as others it will show in the result.

Its simple as that. Nothing to take away from Slovaks, but the fact is if this game was stanley cup playoff game Canada would've ran over them.

Its a saying that if you put up a 90% effort you'll get a 10% result, that sums it up.

Old
waitin425

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulle View Post
Apparently Canada don't have the deep so they can compete when they miss their top player(s)
fixed

Old
05-17-2012, 08:30 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
there has only been one best on best in europe and yes we lost there, but Russia hasn't won anywhere so not sure what your point is
The Soviets won the 1981 Canada Cup in Canada.

Old
ViD

Simple solution to Canadian problem: tell every player that if they don't come to WHC unless there's a very good reason they won't be invited to play at the Olympics

Old
Hv71

For me i´d take a SM gold over a wc gold or olympic gold any day since Hv71 is the team i love more than any other team then i´d say olympics stanley cup and WHC..

Sorry if my spelling sucks.

Old
05-17-2012, 08:31 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by waitin425 View Post
Excuse or not, it is the thruth.....as I said before, congrats to Slovakia and good luck to all the other teams. In NA this tournament is what it is.....not a big deal.
The don't care line is an excuse when your team loses. If you didn't care, you wouldn't be following it.

Old
Incognito

Quote:
How many best-on-best tournaments has Russia ever won? Oh, right! The answer is none.

Before you go trolling the fans of other countries, just remember that your team isn't anything to write home about.

Old
Ilyeu

Last edited by Ilyeu: 05-17-2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old
waitin425

Quote:
Simple solution to Canadian problem: tell every player that if they don't come to WHC unless there's a very good reason they won't be invited to play at the Olympics
Good point.....I might care about it then.

Old
Mr Kanadensisk

Quote:
Canada has never won a "best on best" tournament outside of North America.

The funny thing is that Canadians say they don't care about this tournament, but it's the only place where they have won in Europe.
canada has won outside of NA lots, at all different levels, the fact is there has only been 2 b on b outside of na, so that's a pretty weak argument. The big biys did fairly well in europe in '72 if you might recall.

Closed Thread