HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

The issue with Canada at World Hockey Championship?

Closed Thread

Old
05-17-2012, 09:28 AM
Drij

vCash: 500
Problem is they keep picking the same group of players that lose every year at the WHC.

Old
05-17-2012, 09:30 AM
ViD
#CBJNeedHugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
Dude, stop embarrassing Russian fans! Team Canada destroyed Team Russia in Vancouver, and you are talking about nothing epic and about failing miserably?
So you bolded my part about tourneys outside of NA and still got some questions? I never said anything about the 2010 games where they dominated, but check out their 2006 scores

Old
05-17-2012, 09:33 AM
CCCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
So you bolded my part about tourneys outside of NA and still got some questions? I never said anything about the 2010 games where they dominated, but check out their 2006 scores
My point is: Team Russia hasn't won anything in years, and please don't give me 2008 and 2009 crap about WC. Yet, here you are, saying that Canada pretty much sucks outside NA. Well, I have news for you, Team Russia sucked all those years in Europe and in NA! Better?

Old
05-17-2012, 09:34 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
I'm more concerned about us not doing well at the wjc than the u-18 or the WC. For u-18 and WC we usually don't have our best players there. The wjc is more of a concern because those are supposed to be our best players at that age group (save for the very few who are already in the nhl)...so our inability to dominate is a problem.
You rarely have your best players at the U-20s. Last year what, Nugent-Hopkins, Seguin, Gudbranson, Couturier, just off the top of my head. Think that doesn't make a one goal difference? The US was missing Justin Faulk and Russia was missing Alex Burmistrov.

The issue isn't the best player argument. Canadians care about the Juniors a lot more and that's why the players show up, teams are built properly and the players are motivated.

Old
05-17-2012, 09:36 AM
espo*

If Canada has not been epic at the olympics then what does that make Russia?

Pathetic?

Russia hasn't won a single Gold at the 4 previous best on best olympics.

Europe, Asia, big ice, small ice.....................you name it.

They've failed each time, they've had nothing but excuses each time.

Hope this thread helps soothe your wounds..............because that's what it's all about.

"hey, we suck!!! why not pick on Canada after a quarter final loss at this car company tournament"

Great job!!

Quote:
Canada has not been anything epic at the Olympics as well, remember they only won on NA soil basically playing at home. They failed miserably outside of their continent

Old
05-17-2012, 09:37 AM
Ilyeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson9 View Post
Canada fans, stop making up excuses. You were beaten by the better team today. Ryan Getzlaf was shown up for what he is, a poor captain, and an arrogant one at that. Brent Sutter turned out to be a lousy coach. It's his atrocious game plan for the final third scuppered Canada. To think, sitting back and protecting a tiny lead against whom? Sweden? Russia? A mediocre Slovakia! Unimaginable.
Go watch your game, Norway has you hanging tough.

Old
05-17-2012, 09:38 AM
ViD
#CBJNeedHugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
My point is: Team Russia hasn't won anything in years, and please don't give me 2008 and 2009 crap about WC. Yet, here you are, saying that Canada pretty much sucks outside NA. Well, I have news for you, Team Russia sucked all those years in Europe and in NA! Better?
Come on mate, Russia won WHC and WJHC in Canada. Besides, we were playing for the gold three times in a row, only failed last year. We sucked in early 2000s, not arguing that

Old
05-17-2012, 09:39 AM
Hockeyfan02

Quote:
So, Crosby is an untouchable prima that can do whatever he wants?
Crosby didn't go because he's being cautious after having concussion issues the last two years, how is he a prima donna for doing that?

Old
05-17-2012, 09:39 AM
TonsofPuppies*

Hockey Canada doesn't take the WHC seriously. It's as simple as that really. I mean, right now, there will be some angry people on these boards because we lost, but by tomorrow most of them will have moved on and not give this tournament a second thought. That has to change. But it's not up for the fans to make that change. If the management doesn't care, how can they expect the fans, and more importantly, the players to?

Losing back to back golds to Russia in 2008 and 2009 was rough, but they were both by only a goal (one in OT) and we could at least be proud of how close we were. Losing 3 straight years in the quarter finals, especially with Olympic seeding at stake is just embarrassing. Hockey Canada, the coaches and the players should all be ashamed of themselves. Canada hasn't won a thing on any level since Vancouver and it's starting to become worrisome.

Also, no one should be *****ing about not having our best players. Yes, we didn't have many of them, but look at our roster. It was great, except for a couple defensemen, especially compared to the roster of the Slovaks and many other teams. This team had arguably the best (or one of the best) rosters in the tournament and once again played like **** and got outed early. I'm embarrassed as a Canadian fan right now. If WHC interest is ever to increase in this country, these kind of performances aren't going to help that cause. I for one, won't be watching next year.

Old
05-17-2012, 09:40 AM
ViD
#CBJNeedHugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by espo View Post
If Canada has not been epic at the olympics then what does that make Russia?

Pathetic?

Russia hasn't won a single Gold at the 4 previous best on best olympics.

Europe, Asia, big ice, small ice.....................you name it.

They've failed each time, they've had nothing but excuses each time.

Hope this thread helps soothe your wounds..............because that's what it's all about.

"hey, we suck!!! why not pick on Canada after a quarter final loss at this car company tournament"

Great job!!
Why are you bringing Russia in this discussion?, this thread is about Canada

Old
05-17-2012, 09:40 AM
Fire Sweeney

Hockey Canada is a country club. How Kevin Lowe and Brent Sutter got this job is inexcusable.

Old
05-17-2012, 09:41 AM
CCCP

Quote:
Come on mate, Russia won WHC and WJHC in Canada. Besides, we were playing for the gold three times in a row, only failed last year. We sucked in early 2000s, not arguing that
I'm talking about Olympics and World Cup, where the best hockey players compete.

Old
ViD
#CBJNeedHugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
Crosby didn't go because he's being cautious after having concussion issues the last two years, how is he a prima donna for doing that?
Why are you taking things out of the context? Crosby was just an example in that discussion

Old
OFFSIDE NOT OFFSIDES

vCash: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
I'm more concerned about us not doing well at the wjc than the u-18 or the WC. For u-18 and WC we usually don't have our best players there. The wjc is more of a concern because those are supposed to be our best players at that age group (save for the very few who are already in the nhl)...so our inability to dominate is a problem.
It's certainly NOT very few we're missing at the Juniors.

Usually we have at least 5 players playing in the NHL.

Old
05-17-2012, 09:42 AM
the edler
Cory Schneider fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyeu View Post
I don't see Norway, Slovakia, Switzerland and Latvia doing that.

slovakia is a strong hockey nation with long tradition who won quite a few golds at the world championships as a part of czechoslovakia and as slovakia in 02, so i don't get why you would group them with norway, switzerland and latvia? do you even know hockey?

slovakia almost beat you at the last best on best olympic tournament in vancouver, you don't remember? slovakia also got some of the best players in the nhl today like zdeno chara, marian hossa, marian gaborik

and only wayne gretzky scored more nhl points in the 80s than peter stastny

Old
05-17-2012, 09:43 AM
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcanadian View Post
Well I'll start caring when they start televising games that don't start at 5:00AM.

Case in point: Most Canadians would rather sleep in than watch them play against Slovakia in the quarterfinals.
I didn't wake up for it. Mind you I didn't watch one full game.

Old
05-17-2012, 09:44 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
I didn't wake up for it. Mind you I didn't watch one full game.
So why are you posting here?

Old
05-17-2012, 09:44 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss The Ring View Post
Hockey Canada is a country club. How Kevin Lowe and Brent Sutter got this job is inexcusable.
They know both will ALWAYS be available in May.

Old
05-17-2012, 09:45 AM
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xokkeu View Post
So why are you posting here?
to piss you off.

Old
05-17-2012, 09:45 AM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan02 View Post
It proves the point though, doesn't it? I mean he wasn't so concerned that he didn't play against the Philadelphia Flyers in a heated playoff series or didn't practice.

But he is concerned enough to not play at the World Champs which usually are less intense and less physical than the Stanley Cup plyoffs.

The obvious answer is that the World Champs are considered extracurriculars with little relevance as far as many Canadians are concerned.

Old
05-17-2012, 09:46 AM
Drij

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss The Ring View Post
Kevin Lowe shouldn't be anywhere near team Canada, hes a terrible GM. Brent Sutter at least won all those WJC...

Old
05-17-2012, 09:46 AM
Xokkeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drij View Post
to piss you off.
Well that makes you look pretty stupid.

Old
05-17-2012, 09:47 AM
TonsofPuppies*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post

Last year, we had 6 and in 2011 I believe it peaked at 9. With that being said, I'm not worried about our WJC performances, considering we always play well and go far even while missing many of our best players. Our performance at the WHC on the other hand, is just embarrassing.

Old
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Hawks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2525 View Post

It's usually about 5...and if what separates our junior team from the others is 5 players in the nhl then we have a really big problem with the skill level of the players.

Old
NewFang

Didn't even know there was a game today lol. I think that about sums it up.

Closed Thread