HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Henrik in the Playoffs

Old
05-19-2012, 09:58 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

vCash: 500
Henrik in the Playoffs

I didn't think Henrik had much to prove in the playoffs coming into this season. Every year after his rookie year (where he was injured) he had put up numbers that would be beyond acceptable. Still, people criticized him for his performance in specific games.

Despite his overall quality numbers, people questioned his playoff performance. My question is: "has he silenced the haters?" This year he has done just about anything anyone can ask of a goalie. Is there anyone left who doubts him?

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 10:11 PM
Levitate

He's been the best goalie in the playoffs to this point IMO. Quick has been quite impressive but hasn't been as relied up on as Lundqvist

I think most people will give him some recognition here but there will always be those that will say he choked or couldn't get it done, etc

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 10:27 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

What he's doing is ridiculous.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 10:28 PM
GregSirico
PUCK LUCK

Best goalie in the playoffs.

GregSirico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 11:01 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
I didn't think Henrik had much to prove in the playoffs coming into this season. Every year after his rookie year (where he was injured) he had put up numbers that would be beyond acceptable. Still, people criticized him for his performance in specific games.

Despite his overall quality numbers, people questioned his playoff performance. My question is: "has he silenced the haters?" This year he has done just about anything anyone can ask of a goalie. Is there anyone left who doubts him?

The argument that he's a choker was always stupid. The Rangers were a non-playoff team for most of his career, but because of him, they would barely squeeze in. Then they would play one of the top teams in the East. On two occasions, they won in round 1. One more time they took it to Game 7.

What more do you expect of a guy who's backstopping what was at the time a crappy team? Was he supposed to stickhandle coast-to-coast and score 40 goals? Was he supposed to play defense?

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 11:07 PM
broadwayblue

Quicks stats are better but Hank has carried this team.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 11:12 PM
Tundra

Best goalie in playoffs. Quick has a better supporting cast.

Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:55 AM
Jocke

Unless he wins a cup he will always be a big game choker as far as haters are concerned.

Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:02 AM
Amazing Kreiderman
Night-shift fan!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocke View Post
Unless he wins a cup he will always be a big game choker as far as haters are concerned.
If he wins the Cup, they will state that it was luck because he didn't face the Penguins, Black Hawks, Flyers, Bruins, Canucks or Red Wings in the play-offs, which makes the Cup win less impressive.

Haters gonna hate, nothing's going to change that

Amazing Kreiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:33 AM
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank

Anyone that criticized him before was either a hater or an idiot. This is his first legitimately good team in 6 seasons and the Rangers are two wins away from a finals appearance. That's no coincidence.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:36 AM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

Lundqvist is owning. I find it funny how Quick has the better supporting cast as a #8 team than us as a #1 team. Really shows what a hot team can do.

Hanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:43 AM
Thunderhead

my wife is driving me crazy about lundqvist. why can't he be bad looking ?

Thunderhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:48 AM
turcotte8

LA is scoring goals, which helps.

In 17 playoff games the Rangers have scored 3 or more goals 6 times. 2 of those were empty netters vs the Devils, so it's really 4 times in 17 games with a goalie in net.

In 12 playoff games LA has scored 3 or more 8 times. In 6 of those 8 games they scored 4 or 5.

Can you imagine Hank's record if we could score 4 goals almost every game like LA does?

turcotte8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:57 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
LA is scoring goals, which helps.

In 17 playoff games the Rangers have scored 3 or more goals 6 times. 2 of those were empty netters vs the Devils, so it's really 4 times in 17 games with a goalie in net.

In 12 playoff games LA has scored 3 or more 8 times. In 6 of those 8 games they scored 4 or 5.

Can you imagine Hank's record if we could score 4 goals almost every game like LA does?
We would have swept the Sens, Caps, and Devils if we put up 3-4 goals a game.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:36 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangerSince05 View Post
Lundqvist is owning. I find it funny how Quick has the better supporting cast as a #8 team than us as a #1 team. Really shows what a hot team can do.
Well, the Kings underperformed offensively for most of the season, but on the other hand I don't believe they are as overall good as they have played in the playoffs, I think they're riding a hot streak (which is great, many teams have had success in the playoffs because they came in on a hot streak)

Old
05-20-2012, 09:58 AM
Viking12

Im a very casual hockey fan so maybe im overestimating him but it seems to me like the Rangers would have been knocked of the playoffs a long time ago with no Lundquist.

So i`m kinda surprised he isn`T getting more love from the fans. I mean how come a player like Zuccarello got multiple 20 page threads and the best play on the team seems to hardly get any attention at all.

Is he been taken for granted ?

Viking12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:28 AM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

He's Justin Verlander. Only difference is, he's out there every game.

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:29 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking12 View Post
Im a very casual hockey fan so maybe im overestimating him but it seems to me like the Rangers would have been knocked of the playoffs a long time ago with no Lundquist.

So i`m kinda surprised he isn`T getting more love from the fans. I mean how come a player like Zuccarello got multiple 20 page threads and the best play on the team seems to hardly get any attention at all.

Yeah we're pretty much used to him being the backbone of the team so it kind of goes without saying that he owns and is the single most important player on the Rangers (though there are a few people who still pop up from time to time to complain if he has a bad game)

I also think that the Rangers would be a differently constructed team to some degree if they didn't have Lundqvist, and that their current construction is done at least partly to take advantage of having one of the best goalies in the world in net. To some extent, relying on him is part of the game plan

Old
05-20-2012, 11:54 AM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregSirico View Post
Best goalie in the playoffs.
in the world!

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:59 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Right now it's all Hank.

Anything less than spectacular and we'd be playing golf already.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:05 PM
23isforDeBlois
you cant OD on it

i remember reading during craps series how he hadnt stolen any games, hope game 3 silenced those critics, its good to have the king

23isforDeBlois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:12 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viking12 View Post
i`m kinda surprised he isn`T getting more love from the fans. I mean how come a player like Zuccarello got multiple 20 page threads and the best play on the team seems to hardly get any attention at all.

Because there's a debate about Zuccarello. There's no debate about Lundqvist. Everyone agrees he's a mega-star. What should we do, post the same thing over and over?

If you want to see the love for him, watch the games. Every game there's a "Henrik! Henrik!" chant.

Old
05-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beacon View Post
Because there's a debate about Zuccarello. There's no debate about Lundqvist. Everyone agrees he's a mega-star. What should we do, post the same thing over and over?

If you want to see the love for him, watch the games. Every game there's a "Henrik! Henrik!" chant.
Absolutely.

HANK IS THE RANGERS

As he goes, so does the team. He may be up for the Vezina, again, and for the Hart as well, but everyone knows he's been our MVP since taking over the #1 spot.

Pitt can win without Malkin, so too can Tampa... but without Hank the NYR would be trying to win their 5th lottery in a row.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:25 PM
Tundra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
Absolutely.

HANK IS THE RANGERS

As he goes, so does the team. He may be up for the Vezina, again, and for the Hart as well, but everyone knows he's been our MVP since taking over the #1 spot.

Pitt can win without Malkin, so too can Tampa... but without Hank the NYR would be trying to win their 5th lottery in a row.
If you start to break down this Ranger team piece by piece it's far from a juggernaut. There are alot of glaring holes despite the core being solid. Gaborik totally disappears when the physical intensity is bumped up. Richards as skilled as he is doesn't have that winger that would fully compliment his rare abilities. The bottom six, while being full of strong will & high energy really is compromised offensively, compared to other contenders.

What Hank is doing this postseason is nothing short of amazing. He has taken this team on his back and consequently has injected his teammates with the calming confidence that he has everything in check back there.

Tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
I also think that the Rangers would be a differently constructed team to some degree if they didn't have Lundqvist, and that their current construction is done at least partly to take advantage of having one of the best goalies in the world in net. To some extent, relying on him is part of the game plan

I doubt it. The proper way to construct a team was from the inside out. They drafted 2 guys, Blackburn and Montoya, in the first round and 8 goalies in late rounds (Lundqvist, LaBarbera, Holmqvist, McLean, DeGagne, Asplund, Snee, Holt) in an attempt to draft a franchise netminder.

They drafted 9 goalies in 8 years, then they drafted only 1, Scott Stajcer, and none in the first 4 rounds, in the next 7 drafts.

At this point, they began drafting defensemen. Until the lockout, the team made a mistake to go for forwards before it went for blueliners. Forwards look sexier because of offensive stats, but defense needs to be built first.

I believe they did it because the team wanted to show the fans and the media that they had some youth, and forwards tend to go bust less (that said, you need half as many defensemen, which is why drafting blueliners works).

But after getting some solid prospects as a result of the 2004 rebuild, the team went hard after blueliners: They spent a first on a defenseman in 2005, in 2006, 2008 and 2010. They also spent a second on Sauer in the second in 2005, they acquired Erixon, McDonagh, Valentenko. They signed Girardi and Gilroy, who didn't work out, but who was at the time seen as a quality prospect.

It was clear that the team was making D a priority. They didn't completely forget Fs, but D was a priority. From 2005 to 2006, they had 6 first rounders, of which 4 were spent on D and only 2 on F. On a hockey squad, you need twice as many Fs as Ds, which shows just how much more of a priority the blueline was.

That said, I think we are solid on defense and we need to spend our top 2-3 picks on forwards, and leave defensemen to the late rounds. I like what they did last year. Draft a couple of bluelieners, but very late. Eventually a couple of the late picks will work out, and we are solid enough that we don't need to rush things by spending a first on defense.