HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Wings sign Damien Brunner (1 year for $925K)

Old
05-17-2012, 02:03 PM
probertrules24

vCash: 500
Wings sign Damien Brunner (1 year for $925K)

LINK: http://redwings.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=636776

It has been reported that Detroit plus a few others have made an offer to him.

26 (age) RW (shoots R) 5'11" 187 lbs

http://eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=18949
A slick offensive forward who can shoot as well as pass the puck. Has great wheels and hands. Plays a gritty game. (EP)

[/QUOTE]

He does look pretty good in this clip but the goalies also look brutal. My guess is if he wasn't able to make the top 6 that a bottom 6 role wouldn't be a fit with his style.

Does anybody else have any news or insight into him and would you be ok with taking a chance.

Last edited by Shoalzie: 07-01-2012 at 07:12 PM.
probertrules24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:09 PM
Henkka

vCash: 528
I think he signs with Calgary to play with his friend Baertschi. Flames need cheap, younger, low risk - high reward players.

I think we need just pure quality, not these long shots.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:14 PM
GentlemanMasher*
Registered Abuser

Highlight reels aren't really good to judge with. You could make one for pretty much any slightly skilled hockey player. To adapt to the north american game takes so much more than just pure skill.

GentlemanMasher* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:14 PM
ChadS

Where was this rumour? I'm about 99% sure he'll be signed by a NHL-team during the summer. Some team could give him a top6 role but I doubt the Wings would.

He was very good at the WC, 3+4 in 7 games was the most among Swiss players. He didn't look small at all and had great weels, hands and shot.

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:24 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
He has been rumored to a lot of places, I know Stevie Y had some positive things to say about him. Think I have read that Pittsburgh and New York are interested as well.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:39 PM
probertrules24

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Where was this rumour? I'm about 99% sure he'll be signed by a NHL-team during the summer. Some team could give him a top6 role but I doubt the Wings would.

He was very good at the WC, 3+4 in 7 games was the most among Swiss players. He didn't look small at all and had great weels, hands and shot.
http://www.kuklaskorner.com/index.ph..._future_wings/

"Tino Wandfluh on Twitter says that the Red Wings are eying Swiss forward Damien Brunner.

There are reports out that multiple NHL teams are after Damien Brunner, a 26 year old forward currently playing for the Swiss National team in the IIHF World Championships. Teams reportedly interested include the Montreal Canadiens, Pittsburgh Penguins, Detroit Red Wings, Washington Capitals, Minnesota Wild, and Philadelphia Flyers"

There are also a few others floating around. By starting this thread by no means was I suggesting the Wings will or should I was just looking for peoples thoughts on the guy.

I'm still very gun shy on signing a guy from Europe that has zero North American experience after Brunstrom and Leino.

probertrules24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:48 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by probertrules24 View Post

"Tino Wandfluh on Twitter says that the Red Wings are eying Swiss forward Damien Brunner.

There are reports out that multiple NHL teams are after Damien Brunner, a 26 year old forward currently playing for the Swiss National team in the IIHF World Championships. Teams reportedly interested include the Montreal Canadiens, Pittsburgh Penguins, Detroit Red Wings, Washington Capitals, Minnesota Wild, and Philadelphia Flyers"

There are also a few others floating around. By starting this thread by no means was I suggesting the Wings will or should I was just looking for peoples thoughts on the guy.

I'm still very gun shy on signing a guy from Europe that has zero North American experience after Brunstrom and Leino.
He has a lot more skill in my opinion than the two players you described. Brunnstrom actually had a pretty good rookie year if I remember right. In any event Leino has sick mitts, but doesn't really skate well enough in my opinion. That is the big factor for Brunner in my opinion he has what appears very good hands and the speed to go along with it. The only question I had was if he was strong enough on his skates and he looked NHL ready in terms of that at the World Championships. I would be interested, if he can kill penalties and uses the speed to back-check he would look great alongside Helm in my opinion. This talk that he will slide right in to a top six seems a little hopeful in my opinion.

Old
05-17-2012, 04:27 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Hopefully he isn't Leino 2.0 if we sign him.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 05:41 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:

What is there to lose?

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 05:54 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupNazi View Post
Hopefully he isn't Leino 2.0 if we sign him.
Hey we turned Leino into a draft pick so it wasn't all bad.

TheMoreYouKnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 05:56 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Hey we turned Leino into a draft pick so it wasn't all bad.
You mean the the bust called Hudon?

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 06:23 PM
ZetterBurger

I hope they get him. Low risk high reward? Looks like he is shoot first. Could be a very good addition to the third line or be an okay AHL player. Sign him.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:58 PM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
You mean the the bust called Hudon?
the pick from the Flyers was used on Backman not Hudon

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:40 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Random thoughts from that clip:

1. Hey, someone that can hit the top corner! How novel!
2. Those goalies do look pretty bad.
3. He makes some nice cuts to the middle for shots.
4. He'd get his face rearranged by someone's shoulder if he made those cuts to the middle in the NHL.
5. Lots of weak arm and stick checks in that clip - not exactly bulling his way through heavy resistance.

I'd say sign him, because why the hell not? I'm not terribly optimistic but he's a right hand shot and if he really has the wheels and hands they claim he does, he'd be very usable in that vacant Samuelsson 3rd line / 2nd PP spot. They need a right shot in a bad way. And not Mursak, I mean a real right shot.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:30 PM
Soft Rock Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky0034 View Post
the pick from the Flyers was used on Backman not Hudon
they were back-to-back if memory serves. who knows which one they would have drafted. retrospectively, the obvious choice is backman. but is hudon off the radar already?

Soft Rock Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:34 PM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatter View Post
they were back-to-back if memory serves. who knows which one they would have drafted. retrospectively, the obvious choice is backman. but is hudon off the radar already?
it's largely cosmetic but the Wings pick was before the Flyers pick and they went with Hudon with it

ricky0034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:05 AM
ZetterBurger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatter View Post
I don't think it's fair to call a '93 a bust after 1 year in the Q. Let him play a full season and then we will see where he is.

ZetterBurger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 02:11 AM
Kiddington
heehats

Eh. If he turns out to be a steal, great. If it turns out to be Leino/Brunnstrom 2.0... well... swap him for a pick I guess.

Can't hurt to try I suppose.

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:19 AM
theodred

Not top 6

In my opinion he is clearly worse than every of our top six guy. And he isn't strong enough to be a bottom six player. His Numbers are pretty good, but Zug is a clearly offense first team, and he played always together with some of the league best players(Josh Holden, Glen Metropolit). I read in a newspaper from Zug that there are 3 teams who are on the top, that is Minnesota, Detroit and Tampa. But some family members told hat he likely sign with Tampa they also said that he has alredy met SteveY.

Greetz from Switzerland(sorry for my bad english)

theodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:21 AM
Animus

Quote:
Originally Posted by theodred View Post
In my opinion he is clearly worse than every of our top six guy. And he isn't strong enough to be a bottom six player. His Numbers are pretty good, but Zug is a clearly offense first team, and he played always together with some of the league best players(Josh Holden, Glen Metropolit). I read in a newspaper from Zug that there are 3 teams who are on the top, that is Minnesota, Detroit and Tampa. But some family members told hat he likely sign with Tampa they also said that he has alredy met SteveY.

This worries me...not the Tampa part but he said leagues best forwards then followed by Glen Metropolit, not to sure I know who Josh Holden is.

He did do pretty damn good for the Swiss team at the WC. He was 3rd on his team for mins played (not that it means much) well ahead of current NHLer's Nino Niederreiter and Luca Sbisa. The Swiss team didn't half bad this year either...they didn't get steam rolled like many would've thought. Of his three goals, he scored one against Cam Ward and the other two against Cristobal Huet. I'd say give him a chance...

Animus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:32 PM
Kiddington
heehats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
This worries me...not the Tampa part but he said leagues best forwards then followed by Glen Metropolit, not to sure I know who Josh Holden is.
Former 1st round pick of the Canucks in 1996. Played a grand total of 60 NHL games. Last played for the Leafs in the 03-04 season (1 game).

Yeah... not too impressive.

Kiddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:25 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post

He did do pretty damn good for the Swiss team at the WC. He was 3rd on his team for mins played (not that it means much) well ahead of current NHLer's Nino Niederreiter and Luca Sbisa. The Swiss team didn't half bad this year either...they didn't get steam rolled like many would've thought. Of his three goals, he scored one against Cam Ward and the other two against Cristobal Huet. I'd say give him a chance...
I am curious who thought the Swiss would get steam rolled? They are pretty relevant in international hockey, not saying are a favorite or anything but they generally represent themselves quite well at these things over the last decade.

Old
05-18-2012, 03:29 PM
chokei

Quote:
Originally Posted by theodred View Post

Not sure if I can agree with this. Brunner was far and away the best forward in the entire league this season. He had 17% more points than the next best scorer and was tied for first after the playoffs with 14 points in 9 games. The Argument with Josh Holden and Metropolit can be nullified because a) Brunner played quite a few games without Holden on his line because of injuries or suspensions and his production didn't drop, while Holdens did and b) those other players then should have as many points as Brunner, because when he scores and they give an assist, both players get a point an vice versa.

Of course having good linemates doesn't hurt, but in the NHL every forward has good linemates by NLA standards.

He should be able to find ways through the opponent's defense, but there's a chance that everything is a bit too narrow and too physical for him on the small ice.
From interviews I always thought that he has a good mentality, he's not afraid of anything and doesn't stop working, but sometimes he should keep his trap shut a bit more and cool his temper. But this season, his drive definitely brought him success.

Not trying to be a Brunner-homer, but it was really a good season from him and he seems to have impressed at the WC too. I just think it's cool what he did this season, the last Swiss forward that led the league in points was 30 years ago, and then he comes and does it in such a dominant way.

chokei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 05:24 PM
Bench
Realgud!

Put Juri Hudler in that league and watch the highlight reel you get. This man is only a little younger than Hudler, too.

I'd pass on this and spend my time developing players already in the system.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 06:06 PM
CloneHakanPlease*

Quote:

I know he's obviously been horrible this year, but I think Leino's PPG playoffs a few years back show that he could be effective when used correctly. To me his failures stem from personal motivation/laziness and incorrect use rather than devloping improperly. He didn't look much out of place his first few games in NA

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote