HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Minnesota Wild
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

HF Team Board Mock Draft - 7th Overall

View Poll Results: who do you want the Wild to draft 7th overall?
Jacob Trouba 35 36.46%
Morgan Rielly 36 37.50%
Teuvo Teräväinen 13 13.54%
Griffin Reinhart 6 6.25%
Radek Faksa 0 0%
Olli Määttä 5 5.21%
Cody Ceci 1 1.04%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-18-2012, 12:35 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
The more I read about Olli Määttä, the more I could see the Wild grabbing him. If he continues to excel in the Memorial Cup, 7 wouldn't really be a reach.

Good size, hockey IQ, first pass, skating, it's all there.
Maatta would need more than just to excel in the Memorial Cup to not be a reach at 7. That's doubly true when you factor in that there's likely to be a run on forwards. I'd expect 5 of these forwards (Yak, Gally, Grig, Forsberg, Faksa, Teravainen, I expect in that order depending on what NYI does) to go top 10. With Murray, Dumba, Rielly, Trouba, Reinhart, and Ceci (I expect in that order) being likely in the top 10 as well, that's 12 players for 10 spots.

I won't say he won't go top 10, but I'd certainly call it a reach at 7.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:44 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidz View Post
Maatta would need more than just to excel in the Memorial Cup to not be a reach at 7. That's doubly true when you factor in that there's likely to be a run on forwards. I'd expect 5 of these forwards (Yak, Gally, Grig, Forsberg, Faksa, Teravainen, I expect in that order depending on what NYI does) to go top 10. With Murray, Dumba, Rielly, Trouba, Reinhart, and Ceci (I expect in that order) being likely in the top 10 as well, that's 12 players for 10 spots.

with the recent developments with Grigo, CSKA saying they are going hard after him, and his up and down evaluation i wouldn't be surprised if Grigo is outside the top 10.

it will be interesting tho, this draft has a bit more suspense to it then years before because there is so much that could happen and guys that could fall or be picked higher then expected

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 01:31 PM
squidz*
dun worry he's cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
with the recent developments with Grigo, CSKA saying they are going hard after him, and his up and down evaluation i wouldn't be surprised if Grigo is outside the top 10.

it will be interesting tho, this draft has a bit more suspense to it then years before because there is so much that could happen and guys that could fall or be picked higher then expected
I think, if you're Kevin Cheveldayoff and Grigs is on the board at 9, it'll be ridiculously hard to pass him over. The same goes for Steve Yzerman at 10. Then again, Chevy did skip Couturier last year. After seeing how Couts has worked out (although Schiefele has been promising so far) you'd think he might be a little more gunshy about picks the rest of the league feels are a reach.

Most of all, I think some playoff team with assets (coughWashingtoncough) will be willing to make the move into the top 10 to grab him if he falls to 7 or further. Personally, I'd rather we pick the best player at 7 instead of a possible 11 + 16 (or whereever that second pick is) although grabbing two players around there does sound quite tempting.

squidz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 02:54 PM
Minnesota
Global Moderator
L'Étoile du Nord

vCash: 1000
Teräväinen sounds like a great pick. Only downside I've seen mentioned is his skating. He's also a little undersized.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:33 PM
Spawnisen
Believe.

Ugh not Teuvo.

Rielly yes.

Spawnisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 03:44 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Teräväinen sounds like a great pick. Only downside I've seen mentioned is his skating. He's also a little undersized.
That doesn't sound like a lot of our prospects or anything

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
I don't think I'd agree with this at all.

Rielly's more of a puck rusher than a puck mover. He's willing to take the offensive game into his own hands. He's much more of a Burns than a Lidstrom. There's not really much concern about his play in his own end either. While he's known far more for his offensive play, that's because of how good his offensive play is, and not because of a deficiency on defense. The only real knocks on Rielly are his average size (6' 170lbs) and concerns about his recovery from injury. He showed in his short playoffs that he's ready to pick up where he left off, so those injury concerns are largely gone. Other than the average size, the only remaining serious knock is the little question about whether his small sample size is accurate or not. Had he played a full season exactly like he had in the partial season, he'd be challenging for 2nd overall without question.

Trouba is your typical meh defensive prospect. I don't think anyone's going to complain about him being drafted, but he just doesn't show that same high end flash that some of the others do. He could develop into it, but he's very much a raw prospect that needs to develop into his game. Also, he hasn't shown the same vision and aggressiveness on the puck that a prospect like Rielly has. Trouba (if all goes well) should develop into an average 2-3 defenseman. Rielly has strong potential to be a star defenseman. There's the typical "safe/risky" dichotomy where Trouba is safer to actually play in the NHL, but more risky to ever truly excel. Rielly is more risky to ever play in the NHL, but if he does make it, has the greater likelihood of high end play.

Of course these are all prospects, and at least 50% of all predictions we can make about them will end up being wrong. Personally, I consider a "Trouba-like" defenseman to be something more frequently available later in the draft. A player like Rielly just isn't going to be available at other spots, and probably shouldn't even be available where he is (though I suspect he will be in this draft). We already have our "Trouba" on the team in Scandella.
Well, I didn't mean to downplay Rielly because I really think he is a good prospect. If we ended up with him rather than Trouba, I would still be very, very happy.

All these prospects are just so talented, I think there are only little things that have one prospect over another for different people. For me, I love the fact that Trouba has still 10-20lbs to add to his frame and that he is mobile, smart, and equally skilled offensively and defensively.

I really do like Rielly, but I am love with the idea that Trouba can be a 6'2 210lbs NHL defenseman that can really be an imposing figure physically, while playing a top notch offensive game. He won't dominate physically or offensively, but he will nonetheless be an imposing figure to get by and will contribute offensively with a hard shot and good hockey smarts.

I guess the difference between you and me is, I feel Trouba has #1 defenseman potential in him. I think Rielly does as well, but this is where we differ

Circulartheory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Surly Furious

Quote:

Central Scouting has him at 8 for NA skaters, ahead of Trouba and Dumba. I don't see it as a reach at all. The guy is getting a lot of attention lately, in a good way.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 06:03 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this team takes Maatta. In fact, he sounds a lot like Brodin, with more offensive upside. Very young for his draft year as well. I'd like that pick at #7...

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 06:53 PM
forthewild

I would rather have lindholm then mattaa

Old
05-18-2012, 07:02 PM
elnewby
We got em'!

vCash: 475
Quote:
Sweden has proven to be pretty good at pumping out defensemen.

elnewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:04 PM
Puhis
@Puhis46

Send a message via MSN to Puhis Send a message via Skype™ to Puhis
Quote:
Määttä, not "Mattaa". "Mättää" would be "To stuff" in Finnish.

Puhis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:33 PM
usernam*
#TeamSuccess

Rielly
Teravainen
Trouba

usernam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:39 PM
Circulartheory
@danccchan

Quote:
Agreed.

Circulartheory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:08 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Care to expand on this? I'm not being contentious, I'm just really curious if that's true.

In terms of D available in the 2nd round?

McCabe
Slavin
Corbett
Thrower
Matheson
Schmaltz
Sieloff
Carrick
Culkin
Pokka

Its kind of a defense heavy draft relative to skilled forwards- there's no question MN looks at skill in the 1st round, and Teravainen fits the mold to a tee.

There are a few guys who project to be rock solid 2's, maybe weak 1's in this Draft, so with skilled forwards at a premium I'd rather snatch one of those up.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:09 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
same things were said about Granlund in his draft year.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 09:45 PM
forthewild

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstroundbust View Post
same things were said about Granlund in his draft year.
Do we want two granlunds? Hell we don't even know if baby G will be all that at this level.

Still I do think wild have to go D unless forsberg or galchenyuk is there

Old
05-18-2012, 09:59 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Deal With It

vCash: 742
I dont want any more small players for now. The speed of the game and the disciplanary environment is such that small players are just concussion targets imo.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:05 PM
goatvindaloo

I really like Teräväinen, but I don't think he's what the Wild need right now. But if we don't get Reilly, I like Määttä.

goatvindaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 11:52 PM
forthewild

is Maatta NHL ready? his playoff stats are something to behold. still tho it will be very interesting, if Maatta is high on GMCF radar i would love for us to be able to trade with WAS for their two firsts

imagine coming out of the draft with two of

Maatta,Lindholm,Reinhart,Collberg,Faksa, any other liked guy.

Old
05-19-2012, 12:04 AM
Casper
30 goal grinder

Quote:
is Maatta NHL ready? his playoff stats are something to behold. still tho it will be very interesting, if Maatta is high on GMCF radar i would love for us to be able to trade with WAS for their two firsts

imagine coming out of the draft with two of

Maatta,Lindholm,Reinhart,Collberg,Faksa, any other liked guy.
I could definitely see us trading down and grabbing someone like maatta.

What would we have to add to the 7th to get the 11th and 16th(?) though? Would it be worth it, or is picking a player like Rielly or trouba just a safer decision?

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 12:52 AM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
What would we have to add to the 7th to get the 11th and 16th(?) though? Would it be worth it, or is picking a player like Rielly or trouba just a safer decision?
Nothing, I hope. Otherwise it wouldn't be worth trading down. Not worth trading down to 11 if all we pick up is a 2nd rounder.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 01:29 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

We should be projecting two years down the road. Not now. We need a Trouba in our defense.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 03:42 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

I'm fine with any one of Trouba, Reilly or Reinhart. As long as we draft a d-man.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 07:04 AM
Jagged Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Nothing, I hope. Otherwise it wouldn't be worth trading down. Not worth trading down to 11 if all we pick up is a 2nd rounder.
There isn't much after five.

Jagged Ice is offline   Reply With Quote