HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Who else took the summer off...and why?

Old
08-07-2011, 09:03 AM
nystromshairstylist
Scoring at will

vCash: 500
Who else took the summer off...and why?

I haven't skated since early May, and planned to get back on the ice in late August/early September.

Was burned out after a year of playing 3x per week, and had some nagging injuries (broken finger, knees were really sore, hip soreness, torn elbow ligament) that needed to get better.

I did try to stay in good shape, so that starting up again in a few weeks won't be an issue. Am starting to get the itch to play again as well, even if it is 89 degrees and humid right now...

Anyone else take Summers off regularly, and if so, why? What did you do as a sport instead to keep in shape?

nystromshairstylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 01:31 PM
BLBarmada

I had started training last week of june, the I sprained my ankle in soccer, it's been almost 6 weeks and my foot is still swollen.

BLBarmada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 02:36 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 50
My last season ended in early June so it's been two months for me and I've only skated twice since then. I had foot surgery in June but that's all healed now. Usually I would be skating by now since my season starts in early September but I've just been feeling worn down lately. I'm planning to start skating again regularly next week.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2011, 03:14 PM
Trevor3

I always take the summer off. Actually, I never skate between easter and the end of September because the ice comes off the rink after easter since that's when the minor hockey season ends.

To keep in shape, I play baseball (great for hand-eye), I used to do a lot of mountain biking but now I run in the evenings and try to work out as often as possible (which is hard with work and school etc...). Anyway, I missed all of last season after being limited to just 10 games spread over 6 months the year before, mostly due to leg injuries I suffered in my final game of the season before that. Before all of this I had never been injured in any way that kept me from playing. This fall will be my first full season in 2 years and I haven't skated since December... so, my point? There is always someone who has been off the ice more than the next guy.

Trevor3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 08:25 AM
Pog Form

I've been playing 4 times a week all spring/summer and am actually thinking of taking the winter off and focusing on going to the gym.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 08:42 AM
noobman

Totally. I like hockey, but I don't have the desire to play year-round like I did when I was a teenager.

First of all after a year of hockey I'm beat up and physically need to do some cross-training to correct muscle imbalances and improve strength/flexibility. Secondly there's always an invitation to go away to a cottage, hang out at a patio, or to just kick it late at night, making it hard to stay consistent with hockey.

I like going to stick and puck sessions in May/June at least once a week (sometimes every day of the week), but in July and August I avoid them like the plague (you'll get close to 40 people on the ice, mostly kids) and just play some pickup a few times a month with some guys I know that organize year-round.

I think I'm going to tone the hockey down to 1-2x a week this winter and try to focus on getting in better shape. Hopefully that will help with my durability, so I can play 3x a week again!

With that being said, it feels great to walk out of a hockey rink into the hot summer sun wearing flip-flops and shorts!

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Brunomics

My ice hockey team took the summer off so instead of trying to find a new team I started doing other things. Played a lot of golf, flag football, and recently got into kickboxing(fantastic cardio for people looking to do things other than run).

I'm actually playing my first roller hockey game in about 10 years tonight because my nephews team needed guys. I'm actually a little nervous going from ice to roller because of how different skating is between the two. I also don't want to instinctively try to do a hockey stop and go crashing over like a toolbag either.

Brunomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:07 AM
AngryBoss

I never skate in the summers.
I love baseball and nothing will interfere with that.

Also, being away from the ice for 6 months only makes me crave it more once September rolls around.

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:08 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Slightly off topic here, but has everyone here had a serious injury frpm playing hockey? If not did you play in a checking or non-checking league?

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Last summer I didn't skate much, thought I'd work out more but spent most of the summer drinking and eating too much.

This summer I went right from hockey into a weekly clinic, then right into summer league. The clinic didn't do too much (too easy or low level) but facing tougher competition this summer is making me a much better player all around.

Today I'm starting the Gary Roberts Nike training thing, so hopefully I can drop 10-15 pounds for winter league and improve my fitness and endurance. Already down about 5 pounds in the last couple weeks.

Next summer, I'm not sure. I liked playing and will probably do summer league again since I only play once a week. It would be fun to shoot hoops or play softball, but I'm an absolute beginner at both and it seems that most guys who play those sports in the summer are pretty good...hard to get your foot in the door.

My worst injury was whiplash and sinus infection that we thought might be a concussion at first. Took a couple months of tests to figure it out and then medication and physical therapy over the summer to get back to normal (both physically and mentally...having doctors say they don't know what's wrong with you while you have dizziness and fatigue takes a toll).

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 12:09 PM
RobertKron

Haven't been on the ice since late March. Car accident: Concussion and back/neck problems. Caused me to miss my team's last regular season games and playoffs. Was doing physio and whatnot for long enough that there was no point in trying to hop on a summer league team. I'm just now starting to think about what to do for the winter, as my team doesn't seem to be carrying on.

Getting the itch to play some drop-in or something, as I'm pretty sure this is the longest I've gone without being on the ice in 20 years.

RobertKron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 01:36 PM
Ozolinsh_27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Slightly off topic here, but has everyone here had a serious injury frpm playing hockey? If not did you play in a checking or non-checking league?
The most significant injuries I've had are foot and knee sprains from hockey. I played non-checking (female) since a teen from around 1996, and the most I deal with now is some arthritis type symptoms from my right shoulder. I imagine that is wear & tear from mashing my shoulder against the boards trying to stop pucks from being cleared out of the offensive zone. I'm on arthrotec for when symptoms flare up, its commonly used to treat rheumatoid arthritis.

Now I haven't had an injury in quite awhile, once you get older and gain more experience you learn to protect yourself better. It also helps that my balance is improving a lot each year, I barely fall anymore if I collide with another player unless I get tripped.

Ozolinsh_27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 05:28 PM
Halifaxhab*

I take about 6 weeks off twice a year. In the winter I play as much as 3 times in a week, in summer once a week. So Summer months I can still fill with tons of cottage time and vacation time with the family. I also play ball but my wife is on the team and the kids come as we play on Saturdays in the afternoon. But I need my time away from home and the family that is why I keep hockey during the summer. I don't even go full tilt, usually half pace, a couple shifts here and there where we try a little more, but It's pick up and the guys with teenaged sons bring their boys out for a skate too, so just for fun stuff.

Summer = non contact. Winter one contact league, one non contact league

I have suffered many hockey related injuries, broken nose (6 times), lost teeth, broken ankle ( 3 times). None of those kept me off the ice for more than 4 weeks.

But the worst was a broken tibia and fibula that required 2 plates and 18 pins as both bones were broken in 3 places each and two of the breaks were compound fractures (bone broke thru the skin) that took me 4 months to recover to the point were I tried skating and 9 months before I felt 75%. I't been 13 months and I am at 90% of before. Once they remove the hardware, my range of motion will improve and after 4 weeks of rehab, I should be able to regain that last 10%.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 07:08 PM
JMeiser919

i usually take a break from ice in the summer, but play roller a couple times a week

Quote:
broken nose, lost a front tooth, also broke a femur

JMeiser919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 08:18 PM
shello
@WShello9

Of course........NOT This has been really my first summer of workng out a lot and practing quite a bit. Both of my knees were acting up by the end of the season (may) but after a week it was fine.

shello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

I took the summer off because of post concussion syndrome

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2011, 10:50 PM
Avshockey85

i havent skated since early june, but it wasn't because i wanted to take a break. my new job required me to work all the weekends, with maybe one or two friday/saturdays off the entire summer. i've actually been playing softball since my season ended in april, and played my last game last week. getting ready to get back on the ice this month sometime! also do pilates, which helps me stay in shape all season long.

Quote:
i've had two concussion, one from last year and PCS lasted a few months. missed the beginning of my season and played little up until late november to get myself back in. also fractured wrist, torn ab muscle, broken leg, sprained ankles, and some broken ribs. im a girl, so i play in the non checking leagues, but i also played co-ed, non check. i've just been in the wrong place at the wrong time in terms of my injuries. very unlucky!!

Avshockey85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 12:12 AM
Watch for the Yeti
Time to retool

Quote:
I got three concussions so far. Grade 1 was my second concussion, Grade 2 is the concussion I'm currently recovering from, and my Grade 3 concussion i got in Squirts (was my first concussion)

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 01:13 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Wow. It seems like just about everyone here has had some serious injuries here at some point. I personally play basketball - played in competitive leagues and recreational leagues, and my worst injury was a not-so-severe ankle sprain and wrist sprain.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 11:34 AM
AngryBoss

Quote:
Split lip from puck, broken fibula (out 2 months), grade 1 concussion, sprained knee.
All were sustained in non-contact beer leagues.

I boxed for 4 months while in college and had less injuries with that sport than when playing hockey.

AngryBoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 01:41 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Wow. It seems like just about everyone here has had some serious injuries here at some point. I personally play basketball - played in competitive leagues and recreational leagues, and my worst injury was a not-so-severe ankle sprain and wrist sprain.
If it makes you feel better, the worst injuries I've seen/heard are at the lowest levels. I know a few guys who went into the boards awkward and had to go in the ambulance with the stretcher. A few guys have died from heart attacks (stay healthy people). Obviously some lost teeth and busted lips from no cage.

But having played several hundred times over the last five years, the worst injuries I've seen were sprains from blocking shots.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Badger36

I take the summers off to devote myself to golf. When hockey season is starting to wind down in May/June, golf season is just starting and when golf season is winding down in October, hockey season is just starting.
I love golf just as much as I do hockey (I think maybe even moreso because its such a challenging game and because its so much fun when youre actually striking the ball well).
In the past I skated all summer and my golf game suffered because of it. Now, I have balance and make time in my life for both. Im sure that as I get older (Im 31 now) I will reach the point where playing hockey becomes less and less of a priority and I will focus more and more on golf.

Badger36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 01:21 PM
bluenote

I took the summer off. I played softball and a little bit of tennis instead. I actually like taking the summer off hockey, as I would rather be outside in the summer. Plus, it makes me really excited when September rolls around.

bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 03:08 PM
leftwinger37

I took last summer off. Although I did it mainly to give my body a rest, I was all healed up by July. However, I thought that if I continued to stay off the ice the rest of the summer that my body would thank me later.... Wrong! I was dying to play all summer, my body didn't feel any less worn out, and it took me a long time to get my legs and my timing back.

I won't be making that mistake again.

leftwinger37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 03:17 PM
OpenIceHit42

Just finished up our HNA with a win at nationals in Toronto last weekend. I'm not going to play any summer leagues, mainly just a pickup game a couple times a week and hit the gym a couple of times a week until the season starts in October.

OpenIceHit42 is offline   Reply With Quote