HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Holtby's 2012 run vs Varlamov's 2009 run

View Poll Results: Which playoff run was more impressive
Holtby clearly 11 22.00%
Holtby slightly 14 28.00%
Too close to call 6 12.00%
Varlamov clearly 4 8.00%
Varlamov slightly 15 30.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-17-2012, 04:05 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Holtby's 2012 run vs Varlamov's 2009 run

First of all I want to make one thing clear, this isn't a troll thread or anything similar. If the mods decide that this thread is inappropriate I apologize in advance.

The point of this poll is to see what do you guys think about Holtby's and Varly's playoff runs. Which one was more impressive in terms of their performance, the playing style (or system) of the team in front of them and the overall importance of them to the team. I would like to hear what reasonable Caps fans think about this.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:06 PM
Carlzner

vCash: 500
Wow

Carlzner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:09 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Where in the hell is Zagreb?

strungout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:12 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Where in the hell is Zagreb?
Croatia

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:16 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Croatia

This is Amurrrica goddarnit!

But seriously. I'd take Varly for the simple fact in that system there was a margin for error larger than 8 backcheckers at all times in the zone.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:27 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Holtby had crease protection. Varly had this:

Varlamov had the more impressive run from a goaltending standpoint, though not by a whole lot. He was absolutely incredible that post-season and got almost no help from the defense.
Erskine-ShaMo was our shutdown pair...

Side note: Man do I miss a healthy Tom Poti. Guy was terrific in those playoffs and against Montreal the next year.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:42 PM
Carlzner

Varly was also on 1st and 2nd ranked teams who knew how to score more than 1 or 2 goals a game...

and won against mediocre (to say the least) Ranger teams.

Old
05-17-2012, 04:55 PM
Halpysback

Varly was also playing for a team that didn't have a clue about what defense was and let everyone get numerous 2nd and 3rd opportunities on him. Holtby backed the reincarnation of the 2010 Montreal Canadiens.

Not at all surprising that some people would still find a way to mess this up

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:58 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Box scores for 2009 and 2012 playoffs:

http://www.hockey-reference.com/playoffs/NHL_2009.html

http://www.hockey-reference.com/playoffs/NHL_2012.html

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 07:21 PM
Stewie G

I'll pick the guy who had bad defensemen and cherry picking forwards on his team and still took the eventual champs to 7 games (although that one was a massive stinker).

Is there an easy way to check blocked shot totals from the '09 playoffs and compare them to this year's totals? I'm going to guess that it is a 3-4 fold increase.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:29 PM
californiacapsfan
Registered Voter

both of those teams had big strengths and big weaknesses. both goalies compensated for their team's weaknesses and kept them in most games. overall, i voted too close to call, tho I think Holtby had the smaller margin of error since he couldn't count on his team to score more than one or two goals in most games.

EDIT: looking at their stat lines, now tho, wow: holtby faced 70 more shots (just 1 more game played) allowed 2 fewer goals and had a better sv% and gaa. maybe i voted wrong.

Last edited by californiacapsfan: 05-17-2012 at 09:09 PM.
californiacapsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 08:32 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Varly because he stole games by himself

I think

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Devil Dancer

Varly was pretty soft in that Penguins series. I'll go with Holtby, barely, for slightly better consistency.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:56 PM
Blades of steel
log off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Varly was pretty soft in that Penguins series. I'll go with Holtby, barely, for slightly better consistency.

Huh?

Aside from the last game when the whole team crapped the bed, Varly was nothing short of spectacular.

Blades of steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:08 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blades of steel View Post
Huh?

Aside from the last game when the whole team crapped the bed, Varly was nothing short of spectacular.
So basically he crapped the bed when it mattered? Yeah great playoff run there..

Old
05-18-2012, 05:28 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Varly did show signs of wearing down in games 5 and 6 with some soft goals. I think that is where Bruce dropped the ball, and sent him out for game 7.

Holtby got better support by his defensemen.

Old
05-18-2012, 05:47 AM
Stewie G

Varly did allow some soft goals, but he was also plagued by the fact that the defensemen didn't block as many shots and people didn't collapse down low like they did this year. If you take away all the easy putback goals that the Penguins got while our defensemen stared around, the numbers would look much better for Varly.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 07:52 AM
Carlzner

Holtby faced more shots..

Old
05-18-2012, 07:59 AM
XDC-RES
Root for the Laundry

Send a message via ICQ to XDC-RES
Both played well for the amount of experience they had. As a fan watching the games I was much more calm with Holtby than I was with Varly. Varly made some jaw dropping saves but he also let in some clunkers. Holtby was pretty consistent.

XDC-RES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 08:20 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
Holtby faced more shots..
Yes, because Hunter's "system" was ****ing retarded.

He faced a million more shots from the point because we allowed them essentially uncontested as we had a wall of five players not moving beyond the circles. Must be easy to be a goalie knowing you have five friendly sticks around you looking to clear a rebound.

Old
05-18-2012, 08:21 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDC-RES View Post
Both played well for the amount of experience they had. As a fan watching the games I was much more calm with Holtby than I was with Varly. Varly made some jaw dropping saves but he also let in some clunkers. Holtby was pretty consistent.
You wanna talk clunker?

Tell Holtby to get his ****ing glove on the ice with 6 seconds left.

Old
05-18-2012, 08:27 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Yeah, Varly had us on the edge of our seats. He had more 10 bell saves than Holtby. Its tough to compare the two since Varly had to deal with 2 or 3 broken feet on his dmen, and of course Green with 1 or no arms or shoulders at max TOI. So he probably felt more pressure than Holtby did. While Holtby faced a lot of shots, he knew he was going to get lots of work but not a lot of quality shots, and knew he had full support. Varly saw Ovi on the far blue tapping his stick.

Whats worse, Poti and Erskine with broken feet, or our much discussed Wides Sarge pairing at full health?

About Holtby not freezing that puck, Alzner and Carlson both took themselves out of the play. Holtby obviously had made 2 or 3 saves and decided to try to grab it. Lord knows no Cap was going to clear the puck nor the 3 forwards standing around him. He is aggressive, we all know it. But I dont consider that an aggressive play, just trying to freeze a puck.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-18-2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old
05-18-2012, 08:32 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Whats worse, Poti and Erskine with broken feet, or our much discussed Wides Sarge pairing at full health?
What's worse, Shaone "2011/12 Rochester Americans Standout" Morrison and Brian "2011/12 All-Star of the Swiss Miss League" Pothier or Carlzner.

Old
05-18-2012, 08:47 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
What's worse, Shaone "2011/12 Rochester Americans Standout" Morrison and Brian "2011/12 All-Star of the Swiss Miss League" Pothier or Carlzner.
Arent we talking about 2009?

I am not sure you have been a fan long enough to remember SMo was easily our best defensemen for quite a few years. More than capable to be a 2nd pair LD. He was injured in those playoffs.

You bust on Pothier who along with Juice were our best defensemen in that pens series. Sure it was because others were injured but injuries cannot be ignored. But both scored in that series, imagine that. They both more than held their own with zippy support from our trio of injured LD's and cherry picking err stretch offense. Both were much better than Green since he wouldn't or couldn't shoot yet didnt get the chance to do more, because Green was BB's guy.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:10 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Arent we talking about 2009?

I am not sure you have been a fan long enough to remember SMo was easily our best defensemen for quite a few years. More than capable to be a 2nd pair LD. He was injured in those playoffs.

You bust on Pothier who along with Juice were our best defensemen in that pens series. Sure it was because others were injured but injuries cannot be ignored. But both scored in that series, imagine that. They both more than held their own with zippy support from our trio of injured LD's and cherry picking err stretch offense. Both were much better than Green since he wouldn't or couldn't shoot yet didnt get the chance to do more, because Green was BB's guy.
Oh cool, so I guess that makes Kiwi and Doig pretty awesome too since they were in our top 4 for a while.

I bust on those players because just three years later...they are out of the league and not over the age hill. Wanna know why? BECAUSE THEY SUCK. Being the "best defenseman on the team" doesn't mean **** when the other defenseman suck. Great point you are going for though.

Then again, trying to debate anything about this season with you will go absolutely nowhere as we all know this was probably your golden dream to have Hunter behind the bench and everything was puppies and pancakes, even though the end results to the realists was the exact same **** as years past.