HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Holtby's 2012 run vs Varlamov's 2009 run

View Poll Results: Which playoff run was more impressive
Holtby clearly 11 22.00%
Holtby slightly 14 28.00%
Too close to call 6 12.00%
Varlamov clearly 4 8.00%
Varlamov slightly 15 30.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-18-2012, 10:28 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Stop trying to be so dramatic.

Looking past SMo who had a broken jaw and got tossed around in that Flyers series, not a single caps fan can point to SMo Pothier nor Juice and blame any single game loss on them in the 09 playoffs, if any playoffs. SMo got hurt and wore down versus the pens but other than that, they all did fine and you will never admit it because you have already taken your stance that they were the problem.

You overlook their successes because as their careers have wound down, they are being pushed out of the NHL Yet it happens to most all players eventually.

Carlson and Alzner did fine this playoffs but they weren't perfect

Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-18-2012 at 10:38 AM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:34 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post

Looking past SMo who had a broken jaw and got tossed around in that Flyers series, not a single caps fan can point to SMo Pothier nor Juice and blame any single game loss on them in the 09 playoffs. SMo got hurt and wore down versus the pens but other than that, they all did fine and you will never admit it because you have already taken your stance that they were the problem.

You overlook their successes because as their careers have wound down, they are being pushed out of the NHL Yet it happens to most all players eventually.

Carlson and Alzner did fine this playoffs but a minus is a minus.

LOL @ defenseman "winding down" at age 29. Boy ShaMo must have took a SERIOUS nosedive to not make the PANTHERS. Pothier got a whole TWENTY GAMES in the NHL after we got rid of him before he was banished to Europe. Talk about studmuffins!

We get it, dude. Hunter is awesome. This team was magical. Holtby is the next Roy. Bruce stinks, Varlamov is nothing.

IkeaMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:43 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
LOL @ defenseman "winding down" at age 29. Boy ShaMo must have took a SERIOUS nosedive to not make the PANTHERS. Pothier got a whole TWENTY GAMES in the NHL after we got rid of him before he was banished to Europe. Talk about studmuffins!

We get it, dude. Hunter is awesome. This team was magical. Holtby is the next Roy. Bruce stinks, Varlamov is nothing.

Man I hope someone else gets that.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Yes, because Hunter's "system" was ****ing retarded.

He faced a million more shots from the point because we allowed them essentially uncontested as we had a wall of five players not moving beyond the circles. Must be easy to be a goalie knowing you have five friendly sticks around you looking to clear a rebound.
Hunter's defensive system? The one that kept the Caps in every game and garnered nearly universal praise in the hockey world? That system?

I'm hardly a Hunter fan (as a coach) because of the team's failures on offense, but you look pretty dumb knocking his defensive system. It worked. Period.

Devil Dancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:50 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Hbut you look pretty dumb knocking his defensive system. It worked. Period.
It did?

We must be a REALLY ****** fanbase then because I haven't seen a GDT in about a week now.

Old
05-18-2012, 12:50 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Yes, because Hunter's "system" was ****ing retarded.

He faced a million more shots from the point because we allowed them essentially uncontested as we had a wall of five players not moving beyond the circles. Must be easy to be a goalie knowing you have five friendly sticks around you looking to clear a rebound.
So... Holtby played behind a retarded system, faced more shots, and the team in front of him never scored more than 3 goals... yet Varly was clearly better.

Oh.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 12:55 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
So... Holtby played behind a retarded system, faced more shots, and the team in front of him never scored more than 3 goals... yet Varly was clearly better.

Oh.
This whole conversation is going to go nowhere fast with HunterHomers and people named after one of the choices in said poll.

So I'll just echo my statements to Randy earlier.

Hunter is awesome. This team was magical. Holtby is the next Roy. Bruce stinks, Varlamov is nothing.

Old
05-18-2012, 01:00 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
This whole conversation is going to go nowhere fast with HunterHomers and people named after one of the choices in said poll.

Hunter is awesome. This team was magical. Holtby is the next Roy. Bruce stinks, Varlamov is nothing.
Am I Randy? When did i say anything about Hunter?

Those sarcastic statements don't relate to what i said at all...

Old
05-18-2012, 01:04 PM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Am I Randy? When did i say anything about Hunter?

Those sarcastic statements don't relate to what i said at all...
Your comment completely ignored the fact that whenever there was a rebound, there were all 5 Caps buzzing around to slap the puck out of the zone uncontrollably. Varlamov had complete **** defense in front of him with next to no help. I don't see how the offense being terrible has anything to do with the play in our own goaltender's end. If anything, it works against Holtby because...there was zero puck possesion in the offensive end because every player had to be back in the defensive zone, creating a wall of bodies, not challenging the shooters at the point and just letting them tee off a bunch of low percentage shots that Holtby's job was essentially to see.

Old
05-18-2012, 01:25 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Quote:

hardy haar harr.

Excessive and repeated exaggerations actually detract from your posts, not add to them. I feel like you need to hear that.

Old
05-18-2012, 01:49 PM
AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar

Send a message via AIM to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar Send a message via MSN to AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post

Looking past SMo who had a broken jaw and got tossed around in that Flyers series, not a single caps fan can point to SMo Pothier nor Juice and blame any single game loss on them in the 09 playoffs, if any playoffs. SMo got hurt and wore down versus the pens but other than that, they all did fine and you will never admit it because you have already taken your stance that they were the problem.

Carlson and Alzner did fine this playoffs but they weren't perfect
ShaMo had the worst awareness in front of his own net of any defenseman I've ever seen, he never kept his skates point in the right direction and put too many in the back of our own net, including a huge one in overtime in the Pens series.

AllIsFehrNLoveAndWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 02:51 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

I thought SMo was a fine DDman during our dark years. At least he hit. I never noticed that glaring bad defensive awareness and I assume George didnt either seeing how long he was here. Like most all players, fans get tired and we move on. Heck I led the parade of nagging about him after Philly IIRC. I think DDmen mature much earlier than their offensive counterparts. SMo as much as anyone helped groom Green. For a while there, Green sucked without Mo. I wonder how they would both do now back together in some odd twist of fate.

We talk about SMo or Pothier's games dropping off, what's Green's excuse?

Certainly Green has had his struggles since his Norris run. Not comparing them directly, but injuries can certainly be a part of a players demise. SMo Green and Pothier all had their fair share of injuries. Look at Sarge, stardom and nasty to benched for a month. Worst minus in our playoffs. You'd think he would thrive in our super shell. Nope.

What was SMo's injury versus Pitt, was it his groin by chance?

Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-18-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old
05-18-2012, 10:06 PM
nhlfan9191

Holtby. He looked flawless. I remember how horrible Varlamov's glove hand was that post season. Obviously Holtby had way more defense but he looked so good technically compared to an extremely raw Varlamov in 09.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-18-2012, 10:46 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Hard to compare those two runs with the systems being so different. Sort of an apples and oranges/hindsight 20-20 type debate whatever side one is on.

05-19-2012, 02:08 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlfan9191 View Post
Holtby. He looked flawless. I remember how horrible Varlamov's glove hand was that post season. Obviously Holtby had way more defense but he looked so good technically compared to an extremely raw Varlamov in 09.
You might want to double check the definition of flawless. If you thought Holtby was flawless, how would you describe Quick's play so far?

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2012, 11:22 PM
The Viking Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post

"Summer Donna!"

The Viking Fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 02:11 AM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post

You best simma.

I give Varly the edge. He was god like. Holtby was great, too. He's the #1 going forward.

Didn't Varly just win another championship for Russia a few weeks ago? I think he was in goal for a KHL champ and now the WC gold. That's two.

What have Holtby, Neuvy and Vokoun won? Or even Olie the Goalie? But I must remember in Mickey Mouse Land it is not about winning. It's about being everyone's friend. And rainbows, marshmellows and unicorns.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 03:52 AM
romao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
You best simma.

I give Varly the edge. He was god like. Holtby was great, too. He's the #1 going forward.

Didn't Varly just win another championship for Russia a few weeks ago? I think he was in goal for a KHL champ and now the WC gold. That's two.

What have Holtby, Neuvy and Vokoun won? Or even Olie the Goalie? But I must remember in Mickey Mouse Land it is not about winning. It's about being everyone's friend. And rainbows, marshmellows and unicorns.
Varley wasn't KHL champ. His team lost in playoffs final.

Vokoun has won 2 WC and Bronze at the 2006 Olympics.

romao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by romao View Post
Varley wasn't KHL champ. His team lost in playoffs final.

Vokoun has won 2 WC and Bronze at the 2006 Olympics.

Fair enough. Thanks.

I think Varly has a WC gold, maybe a WC silver?, and two WJC silvers. Did he ever make run w/ the Hershey Bears?

Old
06-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Fair enough. Thanks.

I think Varly has a WC gold, maybe a WC silver?, and two WJC silvers. Did he ever make run w/ the Hershey Bears?
Nope. He sure is a winner. Loves those World Championships just like Ovie and Sasha.

Winners.

Old
06-02-2012, 04:34 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Nope. He sure is a winner. Loves those World Championships just like Ovie and Sasha.

Winners.
I agree. I mean, he got called up to the NHL and played in those playoffs instead of the AHL ones. Seriously what a loser.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

But Neuvirth is clearly a winner with his two Calder Cups, right?

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 05:13 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Totally, just like Chris Bourque.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post

It's not Neuvy's Calder Cups that count. It's his winning smile!