HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Bertuzzi banned from playing in Europe during the lockout

Closed Thread

Old
12-17-2004, 01:57 PM
Accord

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Accord
Bertuzzi banned from playing in Europe during the lockout

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servl...NStory/Sports/

Last edited by Accord: 12-17-2004 at 02:16 PM.
Old
12-17-2004, 02:02 PM
HellsBells

I agree with this ruling. If he's allowed to play in Europe with the rest of NHL players, is he being punished ?? No.

Too bad, so sad.

Old
12-17-2004, 02:10 PM
HeavyD

Im a bit surprised they waited this long if they were going to announce it. Anyone know if this type of situation has occured in the past? A player banned from Intl. hockey leagues.

Old
12-17-2004, 02:18 PM
Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD
Anyone know if this type of situation has occured in the past? A player banned from Intl. hockey leagues.
Read the article, it will answer your question...

"The ruling by the IIHF council mirrors its decision with Marty McSorley in 2000. The former NHL tough guy was suspended indefinitely by the NHL for his chop to the head of Donald Brashear. McSorley attempted to sign on with his brother's team in Great Britain but the IIHF council wouldn't allow the transfer, respecting the NHL ban."

Old
12-17-2004, 02:20 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD
Im a bit surprised they waited this long if they were going to announce it. Anyone know if this type of situation has occured in the past? A player banned from Intl. hockey leagues.
i have a feeling you will find out he recently tried to sign a contract.

With the rumors are a settlement coming in his criminal trial I woudlnt doubt he was trying to get going and get back into game shape.

Old
12-17-2004, 02:26 PM
Bring Back Bucky

vCash: 1650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accord
Read the article, it will answer your question...

"The ruling by the IIHF council mirrors its decision with Marty McSorley in 2000. The former NHL tough guy was suspended indefinitely by the NHL for his chop to the head of Donald Brashear. McSorley attempted to sign on with his brother's team in Great Britain but the IIHF council wouldn't allow the transfer, respecting the NHL ban."
Funny if you think about it, they respect a league imposed suspension but not a lockout imposed by the same body...

Old
12-17-2004, 02:31 PM
Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by X8oD
i have a feeling you will find out he recently tried to sign a contract.

With the rumors are a settlement coming in his criminal trial I woudlnt doubt he was trying to get going and get back into game shape.
The article says European teams have contacted Bertuzzi trying to sign him, rather than Bertuzzi going to them, so I think this is what prompted the IIHF to announce this decision.

Old
12-17-2004, 10:42 PM
Jazz

Send a message via ICQ to Jazz
This is nothing that is particularly newsworthy. The NHL and the IIHF respect each other's suspensions. This has been the case since 1998.

The incident there that triggered this was when Ducks defensement Ruslan Salei was suspended within days of the NHL Olympic break and he went to Nagano to play the preliminary round games for Belarus while his NHL suspension ran.

Old
12-17-2004, 10:51 PM
kmad
Riot Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfield
Too bad, so sad.
Did you have to post this? Can you make a post about Bertuzzi without taunting?

I think he'd be able to play in Russia if he wanted to. Perezhogin's doing well. But I also think that this is why he signed in Sweden.

I think this was a smart move on Bertuzzi's behalf. I don't think he expected to be able to play at all. The case for Bertuzzi's reinstatement just got a lot stronger. The league previously could have pointed to Bertuzzi playing in the charity game and saying that he was allowed to play despite the suspension, inferring that he wasn't punished enough. This contract rejection levels the field and brings forth the assumption that Bertuzzi's missed out on loads of international playing time.

I now have no doubts that Bertuzzi will be reinstated if the season starts up again soon.

Old
12-17-2004, 11:02 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

I second the too bad so sad remark. The guy did something horrible and I am glad that even with the NHL lockout he could possible continue to suffer because of it.

Old
12-17-2004, 11:13 PM
Russian_fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm
I second the too bad so sad remark. The guy did something horrible and I am glad that even with the NHL lockout he could possible continue to suffer because of it.
I wonder what he would say if Iginla was the one who did something like this... I could make a statement at this point, but I don't want the risk to get banned. Anyways this rule is B.S. I think he should be allowed to play. The Colorado team have forgiven Big Bert.

Also MrMastodonFarm what is with your Canucks hate? I know you're a Flames fan, but everything you say is negative about the Canucks. I hate the Flames alot as rivals, but I don't go around saying that Iginla is a cheap shot for wearing a helment during a fight. Actually I go around saying Nilson is the best roleplayer in the league, Yelle is the best defensive forward in the league, Regehr is a #1 defender, Kipper is the next Turco with a playoff edge, and Iginla is the best goal scorer in the league. I actually say some very good things about them, but posters like you make me wonder why.

Old
12-17-2004, 11:16 PM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian_fanatic
The Colorado team have forgiven Big Bert..
Uh yeah, must have missed that press release.

Old
12-17-2004, 11:20 PM
MacDaddy TLC*

hmmm....
Is Babe Perezhogin playing somewhere? Do they honour AHL suspensions? If not, this reeks of hypocrisy!

BTW, any word on Bertuzzi's legal difficulties? The Score was reporting that he was considering taking a plea bargain.

Old
12-17-2004, 11:27 PM
bling

Send a message via MSN to bling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro
Uh yeah, must have missed that press release.
Yeah, I missed the forgiveness memo myself.

Regardless of who has "forgiven" who, the fact that Bertuzzi is still under indictment on criminal charges and is on record as being banned by the NHL until he petitions for reinstatement, the IIHF honors the NHL ban.

Old
12-17-2004, 11:32 PM
bling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor of MacAppolis
hmmm....
Is Babe Perezhogin playing somewhere? Do they honour AHL suspensions? If not, this reeks of hypocrisy!

BTW, any word on Bertuzzi's legal difficulties? The Score was reporting that he was considering taking a plea bargain.
Read the link posted by the thread starter. The IIHF has no contract of co-operation with the AHL as it has with the NHL. That is why Perezhogin is allowed to play.

Old
12-17-2004, 11:33 PM
MacDaddy TLC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bling
Read the link posted by the thread starter. The IIHF has no contract of co-operation with the AHL as it has with the NHL. That is why Perezhogin is allowed to play.
And it is still ********! The AHL is associated with the NHL and suspensions should be honoured in any league, not that you could ever expect the Russian Ice hockey Federation to cooperate.

Old
12-17-2004, 11:39 PM
bling

Quote:
And it is still ********! The AHL is associated with the NHL and suspensions should be honoured in any league, not that you could ever expect the Russian Ice hockey Federation to cooperate.
I don't disagree with you. That was the explanation given in the article.

Old
12-18-2004, 05:49 AM
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry

vCash: 50
As much as I hated Bertuzzis action and agree with the suspension, I don't think it's ok to leave somwhere in limbo while the future of NHL is unclear. I don't agree with indefinite punishments when reality looks like it does.

While I certainly feel a bit of "serves you right, you ***" I think the guy has a right to know when he can resume his career.

Old
12-18-2004, 06:02 AM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Quote:
There is no legal basis for the IIHF to impose a suspension from the AHL. These "associations" (which is not even a legal term, but I'll use it en lieu of searching up the correct terminology) are not transitive. Just because the AHL is a feeder league for NHL teams does not mean they immediately inherit all official agreements between the NHL and IIHF.

Old
12-18-2004, 06:30 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
plus, the Perezohogin suspension was a joke.

Old
12-18-2004, 06:43 AM
canucks666

the colorado team has "forgiven" bertuzzi a long time ago.

Joe Sakic and Rob Blake made statements fairly soon after expressing their understanding, their believing of bertuzzi's apology, etc.

Old
12-18-2004, 06:55 AM
Hasbro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks666
the colorado team has "forgiven" bertuzzi a long time ago.

Joe Sakic and Rob Blake made statements fairly soon after expressing their understanding, their believing of bertuzzi's apology, etc.
Sorce?

Old
12-18-2004, 09:26 AM
Poignant Discussion
I tell it like it is

Send a message via MSN to Poignant Discussion Send a message via Yahoo to Poignant Discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasbro
Sorce?
First I have heard about this too. So I will be waiting on that source

(of course I don't think we will ever see it because I don't believe it happened. Then again Sakic and Blake are classy players, unlike a certain player being talked about in this thread)

Old
12-18-2004, 01:24 PM
MrMastodonFarm*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russian_fanatic
I wonder what he would say if Iginla was the one who did something like this... I could make a statement at this point, but I don't want the risk to get banned. Anyways this rule is B.S. I think he should be allowed to play. The Colorado team have forgiven Big Bert.

Also MrMastodonFarm what is with your Canucks hate? I know you're a Flames fan, but everything you say is negative about the Canucks. I hate the Flames alot as rivals, but I don't go around saying that Iginla is a cheap shot for wearing a helment during a fight. Actually I go around saying Nilson is the best roleplayer in the league, Yelle is the best defensive forward in the league, Regehr is a #1 defender, Kipper is the next Turco with a playoff edge, and Iginla is the best goal scorer in the league. I actually say some very good things about them, but posters like you make me wonder why.
Keep wondering if Ignla did something like this, because he hasn't. That is the difference.

Oh stop with your whining alright? I have said plenty of good things about the Canucks. I have said Auld is going to be a #1 goalie, I have said Ohlund is a #1 blueliner etc etc etc, stop whining and looking for things to complain about.

Oh, and please.. say what you want to say without worrying to be banned. Say it or don't even mention it at all. That is awful cowardly.

Old
12-18-2004, 01:34 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NataSatan666
First I have heard about this too. So I will be waiting on that source

(of course I don't think we will ever see it because I don't believe it happened. Then again Sakic and Blake are classy players, unlike a certain player being talked about in this thread)
Dunno about Blake but here's what Sakic had to say.

Quote:
Even Colorado's Joe Sakic, a teammate of Moore's, called Bertuzzi ''a good person. Obviously, that incident went overboard. We know he didn't mean for the end result to be that.''
http://www.tennessean.com/sports/pre...48365681.shtml

Closed Thread