HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

2012 First Pick

Old
05-16-2012, 04:07 PM
Herschel

vCash: 500
2012 First Pick

What do you think it would take for Edmonton to trade their pick and do the Shark's have the assets available to get it?

Obviously Edmonton is in need of help on the blue line and given their depth of young high end talent I can see them shopping the #1 pick for an package that includes a budding young d-man + at least a two-way forward with some size.

While the Shark's are far from a Juggernaut on the blueline they do have more than a few players who can help out the Oilers, who really need to take a run at the playoffs next season.

Does this get it done:
one of Demers/Braun
+ Clowe
SJ first round pick (#17)

Herschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:08 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Sharks don't have enough to make that jump. It would take more than that to move up that much although it does address certain things with the Oilers but it just isn't enough. Besides, the Sharks won't have any interest in Yakupov.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:14 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
The Sharks don't have the assets to trade for the #1 pick, unless it's Couture+Vlasic+1st going back, and that would ruin our team.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 04:40 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
There's a solid chance we don't even draft in the first round this year - let alone draft #1 overall.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 05:15 PM
wishman

vCash: 145
Sharks just setting themselves up to get the #1 pick next year without having to give up anything.

wishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-16-2012, 05:59 PM
Herschel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
The Sharks don't have the assets to trade for the #1 pick, unless it's Couture+Vlasic+1st going back, and that would ruin our team.
I think that would be a massive over payment for the first. On the Oiler's board they are debating the merits of...

Oilers 1st overall to Boston
For Dougie Hamilton. Brad Marchand, and Boston 1st pick (24th)

They are those who feel Edmonton needs more and others who think that is also an over payment. I would say that Couture + Vlasic and SJ 1st (17th) is a much better package than the Boston one.

I also don't think Couture and Vlasic are what Edmonton wants/needs. They need D with more of an offensive upside the Pickles and they already have too many smallish forwards.

It might not be for the first but i see Edmonton as a prime Shark's trading partner.

Herschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 12:23 PM
AstroDan
Stars, cars, guitars

vCash: 1012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
What do you think it would take for Edmonton to trade their pick and do the Shark's have the assets available to get it?

Obviously Edmonton is in need of help on the blue line and given their depth of young high end talent I can see them shopping the #1 pick for an package that includes a budding young d-man + at least a two-way forward with some size.

While the Shark's are far from a Juggernaut on the blueline they do have more than a few players who can help out the Oilers, who really need to take a run at the playoffs next season.

Does this get it done:
one of Demers/Braun
+ Clowe
SJ first round pick (#17)
I wouldn't call Clowe a two-way forward.

AstroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 12:27 PM
Tkachuk4MVP
22 Years of Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
There's a solid chance we don't even draft in the first round this year - let alone draft #1 overall.

Where do you think that 1st is going?

Tkachuk4MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 12:30 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
I think that would be a massive over payment for the first. On the Oiler's board they are debating the merits of...

Oilers 1st overall to Boston
For Dougie Hamilton. Brad Marchand, and Boston 1st pick (24th)

They are those who feel Edmonton needs more and others who think that is also an over payment. I would say that Couture + Vlasic and SJ 1st (17th) is a much better package than the Boston one.

I also don't think Couture and Vlasic are what Edmonton wants/needs. They need D with more of an offensive upside the Pickles and they already have too many smallish forwards.

It might not be for the first but i see Edmonton as a prime Shark's trading partner.
Trading Couture for Yukapov straight up would be idiotic for the Sharks. They already have a 30goal scorer in his first two seasons, the chances that Yukapov will do that are pretty slim (very, very, few have). Yukapov is a good prospect, but he's only the #1 by virtue of how weak this draft is. He's no Stamkos or Crosby, he has 2nd tier upside (as does Couture).

You don't trade your young proven commodity for a young unproven commodity, it's stupid. It wouldn't even save you money because Yukapov's ELC is liking to be more than Couture's current deal.

Would Edmonton trade it? I think it's possible, they've already picked twice in a row 1st overall and my bet is a lot of gm's and the league in general is not pleased with the situation (just a guess) and they may have quite a bit of pressure on them about it. Honestly, imo, the rule really should be changed so this can't happen.

What would the Sharks offer? Thornton, Marleau, or Boyle as the primary pieces. Beyond that you would be damaging the team.

hockeyball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Sharksrule04

I personally think this would be a great chance to get a young franchise player. If ever there was a year that the #1 overall pick could be had, this is it. The Sharks should try first to trade down to around the top 10. Maybe by offering our First and next years 2nd, and mid level prospect (maybe Ferriero or a goalie). Get say the 8 or 9th pick. Then offer that + Clowe + goalie prospect (sexsmith/Sateri) + Demers. This way Edmonton is getting several things they need. A tough top 6 forward in Clowe, and offensive young d-man in Demers, a young goalie with potential, and a top 10 pick which they can use to get one of the other talented young d-men in the draft.

I think both teams win on that deal. Sharks start a youth movement that will most likely prevent ever having to completely rebuild. (Nail is a person that you build your team around).

Edmonton gets 2 d-men (one NHL ready, and another possibly a year away), a top 6 forward with grit to protect their young stars, and a young goalie with potential.

Sharksrule04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 12:41 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Back on planet Earth the Sharks won't be trading up to the 1st pick. They will trade back or hold steady I believe.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 12:44 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharksrule04 View Post
I personally think this would be a great chance to get a young franchise player. If ever there was a year that the #1 overall pick could be had, this is it. The Sharks should try first to trade down to around the top 10. Maybe by offering our First and next years 2nd, and mid level prospect (maybe Ferriero or a goalie). Get say the 8 or 9th pick. Then offer that + Clowe + goalie prospect (sexsmith/Sateri) + Demers. This way Edmonton is getting several things they need. A tough top 6 forward in Clowe, and offensive young d-man in Demers, a young goalie with potential, and a top 10 pick which they can use to get one of the other talented young d-men in the draft.

I think both teams win on that deal. Sharks start a youth movement that will most likely prevent ever having to completely rebuild. (Nail is a person that you build your team around).

Edmonton gets 2 d-men (one NHL ready, and another possibly a year away), a top 6 forward with grit to protect their young stars, and a young goalie with potential.
Clowe has one year left on his deal as does Demers (though he is an RFA). Demers had a brutal season and likely now has minimal value. Vlasic does not even hold much value because of his one year status.

You want that pick you do something like:

Boyle + Niemi + 1st

The problem is, Boyle's NTC doesn't lift tilL AFTER the draft, so you are pretty much hosed.

Old
05-21-2012, 01:14 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Damnit HB, it's Yakupov. That paragraph was brutal on the eyes.

Old
05-21-2012, 01:15 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Damnit HB, it's Yakupov. That paragraph was brutal on the eyes.
Haha sorry, I'm bad with Russian names for some reason. Good with European ones, go figure.

Old
05-21-2012, 01:34 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Haha sorry, I'm bad with Russian names for some reason. Good with European ones, go figure.
DW syndrome.

Old
05-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

The sharks are more likely to trade #17 overall for someone than to trade for #1.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 01:51 PM
Vyborny

Somehow trading up to get the 1st overall would be great, but I think I'd rather try and grab the 3rd/4th overall and have a shot to grab Forsberg or Teravainen. The first overall would just cost too much, I think, and the two wingers I mentioned would still be great additions without having to give up as much. As a diehard SJ fan, I wouldn't mind taking a step back as a team for a year or two if it meant trading away some more established talent(Marleau, Clowe, Boyle) for youth. I don't post much, but just wanted to share my 2 cents.

Vyborny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:00 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkachuk4MVP View Post
Where do you think that 1st is going?
Where does our 1st always go? It gets traded for some NHL player. My guess is it's part of a Rick Nash trade on draft day.

Old
05-21-2012, 02:02 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Where does our 1st always go? It gets traded for some NHL player. My guess is it's part of a Rick Nash trade on draft day.
What?

Doug Wilson First Round Draft Picks

2003 Michalek 6th (Needed immediate impact player)
2003 Bernier 16th
2004 Kaspar 22nd - TSN Ranking 25th
2005 Setoguchi 8th
2006 Wishart 16th - TSN Ranking 19th
2007 Couture 9th - TSN Ranking 19th
2007 Petrecki 28th - TSN Ranking 14th
2008 No Pick
2009 No Pick
2010 Coyle 28th - TSN Not Ranked in top 30

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:23 PM
magic school bus

Now, how many of those guys were traded?

Old
05-21-2012, 02:25 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Now, how many of those guys were traded?
That's not what you inferred.

Old
05-21-2012, 02:36 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Sharks don't have enough to make that jump. It would take more than that to move up that much although it does address certain things with the Oilers but it just isn't enough. Besides, the Sharks won't have any interest in Yakupov.
I think you may be underestimating the Oils need for a defenseman when compared to another high forward prospect. Bret Burns plus the Sharks number one may just about do it. The sharks may not want to do that....

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 02:44 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
What?

Doug Wilson First Round Draft Picks

2003 Michalek 6th (Needed immediate impact player)
2003 Bernier 16th
2004 Kaspar 22nd - TSN Ranking 25th
2005 Setoguchi 8th
2006 Wishart 16th - TSN Ranking 19th
2007 Couture 9th - TSN Ranking 19th
2007 Petrecki 28th - TSN Ranking 14th
2008 No Pick
2009 No Pick
2010 Coyle 28th - TSN Not Ranked in top 30
I see two players on that list still in the org, and one of them is a bust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
I think you may be underestimating the Oils need for a defenseman when compared to another high forward prospect. Bret Burns plus the Sharks number one may just about do it. The sharks may not want to do that....
Good god, no way in hell does the first overall get you Brent Burns and 17th overall.

Old
05-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
I see two players on that list still in the org, and one of them is a bust.
They also got us Boyle, Burns and Havlat which are still on the team.

So out of 8 picks we have Couture, Boyle, Burns and Havlat playing right now. That with 5 picks below the top 15. Look at some other teams first round results and it's not too shabby.

Last edited by Led Zappa: 05-21-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old
05-21-2012, 02:48 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
They also got us Boyle, Burns and Havlat which are still on the team.
Fair enough. So many busts on that list though.