HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thornton or Marleau

View Poll Results: Who would you rather keep on the team if we had to move one or the other?
Joe Thornton 99 86.09%
Patrick Marleau 16 13.91%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-19-2012, 12:19 AM
  #51
Winky
Registered User
 
Winky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Someone should close this poll (so no outsiders can vote), and then re-post the question on the main boards ... I'd be curious to see how other fans would feel about this.

Winky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 01:20 AM
  #52
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky View Post
Someone should close this poll (so no outsiders can vote), and then re-post the question on the main boards ... I'd be curious to see how other fans would feel about this.
I wouldn't bother. You are just going to get the media inspired popularity vote. How many here would have the honesty to admit that Marleau was the better player a couple of years ago? He had one year where he well surpassed JT and one year at toss up. Even then a vote wouldn't have been close unless you went to the stats geeks because the media just won't quit.

Also, you have to have a better worded question. What scenario, a retool, rebuild or tweak? Are you just voting for who gets more points? Or, who has a stronger effect upon the team? And, which effect?

I listed the questions that I would ask earlier in the thread.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 01:35 AM
  #53
sjshrky27
Registered User
 
sjshrky27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,640
vCash: 500
I am at a complete loss with the people here who actually think Marleau is better then Thornton.

wow...

sjshrky27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 01:46 AM
  #54
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:
 
Mafoofoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 13,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
I am at a complete loss with the people here who actually think Marleau is better then Thornton.

wow...
I don't think anyone will disagree that Thornton probably has more talent, juice, magic in him or whatever than Marleau. But people will argue that if you had to pick one, Marleau's speed and stuff would be better if the Sharks decide to play a more speed based game. Or something like that.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 02:32 AM
  #55
Phu
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 7,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
I don't think anyone will disagree that Thornton probably has more talent, juice, magic in him or whatever than Marleau. But people will argue that if you had to pick one, Marleau's speed and stuff would be better if the Sharks decide to play a more speed based game. Or something like that.
Marleau is not better at what he does than Thornton is at what he does, by a long shot. If this team cannot figure out how to have a player of Thornton's caliber contribute to this team more than Marleau, then it is a complete failure. It has yet to fail in any season since Thornton arrived. It's not even close (not a knock on Marleau at all), and the gap is probably going to grow as they get older.

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 03:07 AM
  #56
magic school bus
***********
 
magic school bus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 15,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
I am at a complete loss with the people here who actually think Marleau is better then Thornton.

wow...
That wasn't the question asked by the poll.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 03:44 AM
  #57
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,621
vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
That wasn't the question asked by the poll.
Precisely.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 08:24 AM
  #58
SignThornton
BEAST MODE
 
SignThornton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: St. Catharines, Ont.
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,909
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SignThornton Send a message via MSN to SignThornton Send a message via Yahoo to SignThornton
Thornton and it's not even close in any way shape or form. Not even close.

SignThornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 08:23 PM
  #59
justinboo*
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 298
vCash: 500
obviously DW is going to mimic what LA has been doing these last couple of years. you'll see. this guy cant come up with a game plan of his own.

justinboo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:16 AM
  #60
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:
 
Mafoofoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 13,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinboo View Post
obviously DW is going to mimic what LA has been doing these last couple of years. you'll see. this guy cant come up with a game plan of his own.
Big playmaking center - check
Hometown high 20-30ish goal scorer who the fanbase used to rag on - check
youngish defenseman with offensive instincts - check


So now all we need is a goalie like quick, a 3rd line, and the equivalent of Carter and Richards.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:19 AM
  #61
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,621
vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Big playmaking center - check
Hometown high 20-30ish goal scorer who the fanbase used to rag on - check
youngish defenseman with offensive instincts - check


So now all we need is a goalie like quick, a 3rd line, and the equivalent of Carter and Richards.
We have Richards in Pavelski. Too bad we dealt Carter in Heater.

But yeah, Quick would be nice...

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:23 AM
  #62
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:
 
Mafoofoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 13,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
We have Richards in Pavelski. Too bad we dealt Carter in Heater.

But yeah, Quick would be nice...
Fine Havlat could be Carter. Maybe? idk

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:43 AM
  #63
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,621
vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Fine Havlat could be Carter. Maybe? idk
LOL man that Havlat is such a one-dimensional party boy, amirite?

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 12:47 AM
  #64
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:
 
Mafoofoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 13,160
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
LOL man that Havlat is such a one-dimensional party boy, amirite?
Aww too bad Seto's gone.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 01:08 AM
  #65
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,621
vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Aww too bad Seto's gone.
God damnit.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 01:42 AM
  #66
BCShark
Registered User
 
BCShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,706
vCash: 500
patty is a bum

BCShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:31 AM
  #67
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan
 
Audio Outlaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bay Area, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,515
vCash: 500
I didn't even have to think twice about this one.

Audio Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 03:14 PM
  #68
Winky
Registered User
 
Winky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I wouldn't bother. You are just going to get the media inspired popularity vote. How many here would have the honesty to admit that Marleau was the better player a couple of years ago? He had one year where he well surpassed JT and one year at toss up. Even then a vote wouldn't have been close unless you went to the stats geeks because the media just won't quit.

Also, you have to have a better worded question. What scenario, a retool, rebuild or tweak? Are you just voting for who gets more points? Or, who has a stronger effect upon the team? And, which effect?

I listed the questions that I would ask earlier in the thread.
Well, considering all the chokerism linked with JT on these boards, I think it would turn out more close than you think.

Winky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 03:31 PM
  #69
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,621
vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky View Post
Well, considering all the chokerism linked with JT on these boards, I think it would turn out more close than you think.
Not with Sharks fans. They always defend JT from being a choker and always throw Marleau under the bus.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 03:47 PM
  #70
Kitten Mittons
Registered User
 
Kitten Mittons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: San Francisco
Country: Armenia
Posts: 47,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Not with Sharks fans. They always defend JT from being a choker and always throw Marleau under the bus.
We only started defending him when he started playing well.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 04:45 PM
  #71
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,621
vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
We only started defending him when he started playing well.
Except your definition of JT playing well is much looser than Marleau playing well. Because of perceived "effort" problems.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:37 PM
  #72
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 38,442
vCash: 500
When Marleau plays bad its a "brain" problem.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:13 PM
  #73
SJeasy
Registered User
 
SJeasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Jose
Country: United States
Posts: 12,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winky View Post
Well, considering all the chokerism linked with JT on these boards, I think it would turn out more close than you think.
I don't call JT a choker nor almost any other player. There are matchup issues. Three issues with JT are speed of play, turnovers and reluctance to shoot. All three of the issues affect the team negatively. In reading these boards, there are many here where he might as well be "Teflon" Joe regarding criticism even on the three issues.

The point that myself and others are making is that for some there is a serious lack of questioning whether those three negative attributes are fatal. There is the additional point of a Snow White and the Seven Dwarves philosphy around and within the team. It takes 23 (or whatever number) to win the silver thingy and it is never really won by one guy alone. Not a fault of JT himself, but of the perceptions surrounding him. Within the org and if that perception is strong enough, the perception is fatal.

SJeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:46 PM
  #74
Winky
Registered User
 
Winky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Not with Sharks fans. They always defend JT from being a choker and always throw Marleau under the bus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJeasy View Post
I don't call JT a choker nor almost any other player. There are matchup issues. Three issues with JT are speed of play, turnovers and reluctance to shoot. All three of the issues affect the team negatively. In reading these boards, there are many here where he might as well be "Teflon" Joe regarding criticism even on the three issues.

The point that myself and others are making is that for some there is a serious lack of questioning whether those three negative attributes are fatal. There is the additional point of a Snow White and the Seven Dwarves philosphy around and within the team. It takes 23 (or whatever number) to win the silver thingy and it is never really won by one guy alone. Not a fault of JT himself, but of the perceptions surrounding him. Within the org and if that perception is strong enough, the perception is fatal.
I meant that non-Sharks fans link JT with choking, not Sharks fans.

Winky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:56 PM
  #75
GreatGonzo
Registered Derp
 
GreatGonzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: South Of the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 1,529
vCash: 500
We couldn't trade Marleau if we tried, so what is the point?

GreatGonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:27 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.