HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Penguins Prospect Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Epic Neal Time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
I think there should be as this is "Pittsburgh Penguins prospects" thread and these guys we're talking drafting aren't Pens prospects, not yet anyways.
My thinking exactly.

Old
05-29-2012, 01:05 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
FWIW, draftsite.com has the Pens picking Anton Zlobin, the player who scored the OT goal last night, in the 4th round (113th overall.)

Here are his stats.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=58562

Not bad for a 4th round projection.

EDIT: Here is the draftsite.com profile.

http://www.draftsite.com/nhl/player/anton-zlobin/14847/
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg1 View Post
They also have our first picks being defensemen
I thought he looked good in the final game against London, has some nifty skills and could be a good pick in the later rounds. Was also impressed by the Rupert twins, just seemed to buzz around making themselves a nuisances and have decent skills and speed to.

Old
05-30-2012, 08:24 AM
Solution

Jason Williams has signed with Switzerland. Nobody seems to know why Nick peterson left the team for personal reasons. The forwards at Wilkes-Barre still look like they could be impressive if some of the RFA are resigned. The defense could be good as well. It is only the goaltending that looks questionable. Of course everything is hypothetical at this point.

Old
05-30-2012, 08:33 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solushun View Post
Jason Williams has signed with Switzerland. Nobody seems to know why Nick peterson left the team for personal reasons. The forwards at Wilkes-Barre still look like they could be impressive if some of the RFA are resigned. The defense could be good as well. It is only the goaltending that looks questionable. Of course everything is hypothetical at this point.
Petersen's wife has MS so that seems the most likely reason for taking leave.

Last edited by wej20: 05-30-2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old
05-30-2012, 01:05 PM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Petersen's wife has MS so that seems the most obvious reason for taking leave.
wej20:

Sorry. I had just read on john bombulie's blog some of the comments. Apparently, the posters there feel like WBS is the joke of their division because they have not won a Calder Cup. The team is terrible because they have not won it. Shero can not draft, and peterson is on his way out of the organization like CPZ. Although there is one poster there who believes that CPZ got Evander Kane drafted as high as he did.

Old
05-30-2012, 01:19 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solushun View Post
wej20:

Sorry. I had just read on john bombulie's blog some of the comments. Apparently, the posters there feel like WBS is the joke of their division because they have not won a Calder Cup. The team is terrible because they have not won it. Shero can not draft, and peterson is on his way out of the organization like CPZ. Although there is one poster there who believes that CPZ got Evander Kane drafted as high as he did.
So they are all crazy?

Old
05-30-2012, 02:01 PM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
So they are all crazy?
Actually not all of them. There are a few though. I should have been more specific. I was showing some of the more opinionated versions.

Old
05-30-2012, 09:53 PM
Jacob

Don't bother reading the comments on Bombulie's blog. 99% of Wilkes-Barre fans are mental defectives.

They are some of the worst, and I don't just mean in terms of hockey knowledge, I mean in terms of ANY knowledge.

Old
05-31-2012, 07:12 AM
TheEdge27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
Don't bother reading the comments on Bombulie's blog. 99% of Wilkes-Barre fans are mental defectives.

They are some of the worst, and I don't just mean in terms of hockey knowledge, I mean in terms of ANY knowledge.
Ever read their facebook page? Some of the comments are just unreal. Ive never seen people ***** about a free giveaway at a game.

Old
05-31-2012, 07:23 AM
tijuana knuckles
Pierogi eater

Bombullie's blog is really good. I would suggest it to all Pens fans. He gives good information and insight to the WBS prospects and the whole team. It seems like a lot of insider information.

The comments are ridiculous. Seems like most could care less about the major league Pens. They complain when any player gets called up. They complain that Shero does not care about them because he does not sign experienced AHL vets. There is the reacurring "here" reference to Nathan Smith that got old at the 6th grade picnic.

Bombuiile though is excellent though

Find it at the Wilkes Barre-Scranton paper. I think it called Penguins Insider. I have it saved under my Favorites . I'll post the link later tonight

Last edited by tijuana knuckles: 05-31-2012 at 07:25 AM. Reason: Editing mistakes
Old
05-31-2012, 08:39 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post

are you surprised? Have you been to the other side of the state? If not, good for you. Keep it that way

Old
05-31-2012, 11:54 AM
Flat Stanley

There should be a Johnstown AHL team for Pittsburgh.

That way, our NHL, AHL and ECHL teams are near each other. Only a 1 hour+ drive from Johnstown to Pittsburgh, a 2 hour+ drive from Wheeling to Johnstown (AHL Call up).

Easier travel on the players, and it's closer for fans to drive to Johnstown if they want to see an AHL game.

Old
05-31-2012, 11:57 AM
JTG

I'd like the team in Johnstown, but that would be very cruel to do to WBS since they have really supported the team.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:27 PM
mpp9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
I'd like the team in Johnstown, but that would be very cruel to do to WBS since they have really supported the team.
That would have been unbelievable while I was in school. Half my friends went to Penn State. Catch a game on a friday or saturday night, and then have a short ride up to PSU for drunken escapades.

Old
05-31-2012, 12:33 PM
PenguinTommy

Travelling is always a big factor..

Once, I was watching a great interview with Brian Burke, where he stated, the biggest advantage for his team, is to have AHL team in the same city as NHL. Like they have Marlies and Leafs.

That's why the free agents, like Bozak, Gustavsson, maybe Justin Schultz want to sign with Leafs, cause they can buy a house or an apartment and don't have to worry about where they will live for the whole time until their contracts expire. Either they will play NHL or AHL, they will live in the same city. Burke said, that's why a lot of players, especially unsigned ones, prefer Toronto before the others.

Old
05-31-2012, 01:06 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinTommy View Post
Travelling is always a big factor..

Once, I was watching a great interview with Brian Burke, where he stated, the biggest advantage for his team, is to have AHL team in the same city as NHL. Like they have Marlies and Leafs.

That's why the free agents, like Bozak, Gustavsson, maybe Justin Schultz want to sign with Leafs, cause they can buy a house or an apartment and don't have to worry about where they will live for the whole time until their contracts expire. Either they will play NHL or AHL, they will live in the same city. Burke said, that's why a lot of players, especially unsigned ones, prefer Toronto before the others.
Can understand that, I imagine lots of free agents would prefer to live in Toronto compared to WBS/Hershey/Etc.

Old
05-31-2012, 02:25 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

They should really consider Pittsburgh as an option for the minor league team. WBS isn't even close & is horrible place to live.

Old
05-31-2012, 03:33 PM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
They should really consider Pittsburgh as an option for the minor league team. WBS isn't even close & is horrible place to live.
Pittsburgh isn't a big enough city to support an NHL and AHL team.

Old
05-31-2012, 03:57 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
Pittsburgh isn't a big enough city to support an NHL and AHL team.
Put it out in Cranberry. That was one of the fastest growing communities in the country not too long ago.

I think WBS is around 72k combined and Wexford/Cranberry is over 50k. Then you have Butler, Mars, Z etc.

It would work I think. The median income in those areas is higher than WBS.

Old
05-31-2012, 04:12 PM
The Old Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Put it out in Cranberry. That was one of the fastest growing communities in the country not too long ago.

I think WBS is around 72k combined and Wexford/Cranberry is over 50k. Then you have Butler, Mars, Z etc.

great points.....just the high cost of building a rink to play in... imo

Old
05-31-2012, 08:27 PM
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post

WBS has a metro of 563,631...Scranton alone has 76k in the city limits. Cranberry, a suburb, has 28k. I'm doubting Cranberry is going to be able to get an 8,000 seat arena built to house a AHL team any time soon.

Pittsburgh isn't anywhere near large enough to support both a NHL and a AHL team. The only reason the Marlies work is because a.) it's ****ing Toronto and b.) MLSE can afford to operate their minor league team in the red when they own their NHL team is a cash printing machine. To say nothing about the fact that the Marlies play in an older building...something that wouldn't be an option in Pittsburgh. Consol is almost certainly going to be more profitable as a concert venue on off days than being a non-stop hockey arena for 8 months of the year.

WBS is close...it's not down the road, but it is close (Los Angeles's AHL affiliate plays in New ****ing Hampshire for crying out loud...and they're also owned by the Kings), it has loyal (if slightly stupid) fans, and it turned NEPA into a Penguins territory despite being closer to the other 4 teams in our division. It was a strategic decision to put the Baby Penguins there and it worked out splendidly.

Johnstown is way too small (metro size is smaller than bleeping Wheeling), their rink isn't up to AHL standards (and they sure as hell don't have money to build a new one), and it's an even worse ****hole than WBS.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 05-31-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old
05-31-2012, 08:41 PM
clefty
What?

Kind of think the last thing the Penguins want to do right now is lobby for another arena to be built.

Wilkes-Barre makes good money for the parent club right now, and that's essentially all that matters. Proximity is a silly argument. When has that ever been a problem? Once I think, on deadline day when Armstrong and Christensen were suddenly gone, and Connor James and Chris Minard had to drive over arriving in the second period of a game. And James scored.

Edit: Actually, I think that was better in terms of proximity, because we might have been playing in New York that day. So I can't recall there ever being a problem.

Last edited by clefty: 05-31-2012 at 08:49 PM.
Old
05-31-2012, 09:08 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
That would have been unbelievable while I was in school. Half my friends went to Penn State. Catch a game on a friday or saturday night, and then have a short ride up to PSU for drunken escapades.
I would probably catch a few games a year if they were in Johnstown, but there are a lot of guys like me v. a bigger market in WBS who would probably buy season tickets. WBS has earned their team, even though I played a ton of hockey in the War Memorial growing up and have a very strong bond with that place.

Old
05-31-2012, 10:42 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
are you surprised? Have you been to the other side of the state? If not, good for you. Keep it that way
I've been to a lot of baby Pens games.. and their fans are just as awful in person.

I think we should keep our minor league team there, the fans should be enough motivation to work hard to get to the NHL.

Old
06-01-2012, 07:11 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big McLargehuge View Post
WBS has a metro of 563,631...Scranton alone has 76k in the city limits. Cranberry, a suburb, has 28k. I'm doubting Cranberry is going to be able to get an 8,000 seat arena built to house a AHL team any time soon.

Pittsburgh isn't anywhere near large enough to support both a NHL and a AHL team. The only reason the Marlies work is because a.) it's ****ing Toronto and b.) MLSE can afford to operate their minor league team in the red when they own their NHL team is a cash printing machine. To say nothing about the fact that the Marlies play in an older building...something that wouldn't be an option in Pittsburgh. Consol is almost certainly going to be more profitable as a concert venue on off days than being a non-stop hockey arena for 8 months of the year.

WBS is close...it's not down the road, but it is close (Los Angeles's AHL affiliate plays in New ****ing Hampshire for crying out loud...and they're also owned by the Kings), it has loyal (if slightly stupid) fans, and it turned NEPA into a Penguins territory despite being closer to the other 4 teams in our division. It was a strategic decision to put the Baby Penguins there and it worked out splendidly.

Johnstown is way too small (metro size is smaller than bleeping Wheeling), their rink isn't up to AHL standards (and they sure as hell don't have money to build a new one), and it's an even worse ****hole than WBS.
The Pgh metro area is roughly 2,300,000, while the difference between Wexford/Cranberry and WBS is only around 30k. The biggest difference is W/C median household income is over double that of WBS.

The PGH metro area is easily big enough to support a minor league team like the Baby Pens. I'm not sure how anyone could argue otherwise.

WBS is a cash cow for the Pens org, so obviously they won't move. This was just a hypothetical discussion about having the Baby Pens closer to Pgh. I have zero problems with the team in WBS and don't dislike the fans as a few others here seem to.

You can argue about Corbett getting behind a new arena in Cranberry like Casey/Ridge did back in '98 with the MSA, but there is little doubt in my mind that the Baby Pens would find ample support in C/W.

Closed Thread