HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Penguins Prospect Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2012, 03:11 PM
Flat Stanley

vCash: 500
I really don't think we need to draft a need this year, Shero should just pick the best player available at 22, even if it is defenseman or a goaltender.

I don't think we should draft a goaltender because I think Fleury is our guy for awhile. But if the best player available is a goalie, take him, develop him, trade him.

If it's a defenseman, we can just have another good D prospect with Despres and Morrow and maybe in the future if we have a log jam on the blue line, we can trade him (2012 1st) for a proven winger (like Whitney for Kunitz or Goligoski for Neal)

Old
05-18-2012, 03:32 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
I really don't think we need to draft a need this year, Shero should just pick the best player available at 22, even if it is defenseman or a goaltender.

I don't think we should draft a goaltender because I think Fleury is our guy for awhile. But if the best player available is a goalie, take him, develop him, trade him.

If it's a defenseman, we can just have another good D prospect with Despres and Morrow and maybe in the future if we have a log jam on the blue line, we can trade him (2012 1st) for a proven winger (like Whitney for Kunitz or Goligoski for Neal)
I have a feeling one of Murray, Trouba, Ceci, or Rielly will slip out of the top 15. Any of those guys would be a coup for Shero.

I said it before, but If Rielly slips out of the top 15 Shero should make a move to grab him. If he didn't ter his knee up, he would of easily been a top ten pick.

Despres, Morrow, Harrington and Rielly on the same farm would be unreal.

Old
05-18-2012, 03:35 PM
TheEdge27

Quote:
If we do end up taking a D-man, then this summer Shero almost has to move any 2 of our D for either younger (waiver eligible)D, or some sort of forward or goalie prospects at the very least. Id hate to develop all these young players and not at least get a late pick out of them.

Old
05-18-2012, 03:51 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

vCash: 50
Tim Bozon sounds like a Shero type player. Gritty but with a goal scoring touch. Hopefully he falls to us in the 2nd, it would be nice to have a player like him in the system.

Old
05-18-2012, 03:58 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge27 View Post
If we do end up taking a D-man, then this summer Shero almost has to move any 2 of our D for either younger (waiver eligible)D, or some sort of forward or goalie prospects at the very least. Id hate to develop all these young players and not at least get a late pick out of them.
If he takes a Dman, he wont be ready for a couple of years, so it wouldn't change much in terms of the big club this season.

Blueliners like Reinhart and Lindholm could be real wildcards and either slip down near the Pens or make one of Trouba, Ceci, Murray or Rielly fall close to them.

There is going to be a legit blueliner who falls and Shero may jump on the opportunity. Let's hope it is Rielly.

Old
05-18-2012, 04:11 PM
TheEdge27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
If he takes a Dman, he wont be ready for a couple of years, so it wouldn't change much in terms of the big club this season.
True. But we still have 4 waiver eligible Dmen this season.....

Old
05-18-2012, 04:13 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge27 View Post
True. But we still have 4 waiver eligible Dmen this season.....
Right, but it doesn't matter who Shero drafts, they won't be on the big club or push anyone to waivers.

Old
05-18-2012, 04:21 PM
TheEdge27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
Right, but it doesn't matter who Shero drafts, they won't be on the big club or push anyone to waivers.
Yeah, I had a brain fart for a second.

Old
05-18-2012, 05:40 PM
Left Of The Dial

Quote:

I agree. The draft is about maximizing value; needs can be filled through trade or free agency.

However, I would really shy away from goalies early in the draft. Despite the fact that it is probably the most important position in hockey, goalies just don't make good investments. I would much rather go after a young backup on the trade market (ie Rask, Bernier, Schneider, Lindback, Harding, even Bobrovsky), spend some 5th-7th round picks on tenders and hope I get lucky than use a 1st rounder.

Old
05-18-2012, 05:58 PM
wej20

I think prospect goalies don't have much value in trade (or at least relative to the position they're drafted) until they've at least had a backup role in the NHL, that's when their value can really shoot up.

Old
05-18-2012, 06:10 PM
Left Of The Dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
I think prospect goalies don't have much value in trade (or at least relative to the position they're drafted) until they've at least had a backup role in the NHL, that's when their value can really shoot up.
I'd go further and say they don't have value until they've proven they can be a legitimate starter. A guy like Jonathan Bernier hasn't proven that yet, and that's why he wouldn't be able to recoup the 11th overall pick the Kings spent on him in 2006.

I just can't believe how much Colorado spent on Varlamov last offseason. A first and a second from a lottery team for a fringe starting goalie? I would be surprised if Schneider or Luongo fetched that much.

Old
05-18-2012, 06:38 PM
Jacob

You say unproven goalie prospects don't have value, then cite a very recent example of an unproven goalie prospect netting a huge return?

Old
05-18-2012, 06:51 PM
PenguinTommy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superunknown94 View Post
Does anybody have any insight on Tom Wilson (Plymouth Whalers)?

Some scouts are comparing him to Colby Armstrong or Ryan Clowe if he can reach 2nd line potention. I think he would be a risk.

Old
05-18-2012, 07:20 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Memorial Cup on NHL live. Guys to watch, Henrik Samuelsson who is expected to go late first early second, Griffin Reinhart who will go early in the first round but you never know.

Of course tomorrow night will feature our own Scott Harington. Along with Andreas Athanasiou whom is 56 on Craig Buttons list. Michael Houser (G) who is 50th, Olli Maatta 30th on his list. Did I forget anyone important?

Old
05-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Gumbercules

Lots of drafted prospects as well. Notables former first rounders included Mark Pysyk, Jarred Tinordi, Brandon Gormley, Jonathan Huberdeau, Charlie Coyle, Zach Phillips, Nathan Beaulieu, Vlad Namestnikov, Austin Watson. There are plenty of others great later round prospects too, Mike St. Croix, Miichael Bournival, Tomas Jurco, Stanislv Galiev, Jared Knight to name a few.

Additional draft eligibles, Josh Anderson, Mitch Moroz, Anton Zlobin, Justin Hache.

Sons of former NHLers - Henrik Samuelsson (Ulf), Griffin Reinhart (Paul), Keegan Lowe (Kevin), Max Domi (Tie), Jarred Tinordi (Mark).

Undrafted notables - Seth Griffith (Definitely will be drafted this year), Danick Gauthier (47 goals), Pierre Durepos (favorite of mine)

Old
05-18-2012, 08:59 PM
Jacob

It seems unbelievable to me that Mikhail Grigorenko might fall to the second half of the 1st round, but that's where I'm seeing him ranked more and more. It'd be a dream come true if the Penguins could nab him.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:00 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbercules View Post
Lots of drafted prospects as well. Notables former first rounders included Mark Pysyk, Jarred Tinordi, Brandon Gormley, Jonathan Huberdeau, Charlie Coyle, Zach Phillips, Nathan Beaulieu, Vlad Namestnikov, Austin Watson. There are plenty of others great later round prospects too, Mike St. Croix, Miichael Bournival, Tomas Jurco, Stanislv Galiev, Jared Knight to name a few.

Additional draft eligibles, Josh Anderson, Mitch Moroz, Anton Zlobin, Justin Hache.

Sons of former NHLers - Henrik Samuelsson (Ulf), Griffin Reinhart (Paul), Keegan Lowe (Kevin), Max Domi (Tie), Jarred Tinordi (Mark).

Undrafted notables - Seth Griffith (Definitely will be drafted this year), Danick Gauthier (47 goals), Pierre Durepos (favorite of mine)
Thanks. To be honest I don't care as much about other teams prospects but it's possible that they could be traded here.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:44 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
It seems unbelievable to me that Mikhail Grigorenko might fall to the second half of the 1st round, but that's where I'm seeing him ranked more and more. It'd be a dream come true if the Penguins could nab him.
Yep. Angelo Esposito 2.0. I can see the writing on the wall.

EDIT: Not in terms of the player, or the player attributes, but the drop that may occur.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:50 PM
OnMyOwn
Extremist

I bet we'd pass on him anyway. I just hope whoever we get has a high ceiling. I don't like drafting guys early who are projected as 3rd liners but can play tomorrow because they're ready....you can sign those types in free agency

Old
05-18-2012, 10:51 PM
Left Of The Dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
You say unproven goalie prospects don't have value, then cite a very recent example of an unproven goalie prospect netting a huge return?
The prior offseason, Halak was traded to the Blues for Lars Eller and Ian Schultz. This after a great regular season and unbelievable playoff run. That same offseason, Niemi signed a one year, $2M contract with the Sharks as a UFA and Cup winner. Varlamov signed a three year, $8.5M contract with the Avs as a RFA. Both of Halak and Niemi were a few years older than Varlamov, but both had accomplished much more in the NHL.

Kari Lehtonen would also be a good comparable, given both goaltenders suffered with injury issues. Atlanta only received Ivan Vishnevsky and a 4th round pick for Lehtonen, despite his higher pedigree and amount of NHL success.

Why was Varlamov worth so much more than Halak, Niemi, and Lehtonen? It's not often that a decent young goalie is dealt for a very high first, plus additional picks. Ben Bishop was the best goalie in the AHL this year and all he got was a second in 2013.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:11 PM
Saving Greiss
#Bortuzzoed

Grigorenko

Yup. The Russian factor, recent health, quality of competition - all of this, plus the original knocks on him.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:36 PM
Hans Rutherford
Oh no... my brains

I'd take Grigorenko in a heartbeat if he fell to us. If Shero was interested in Tarasenko, I'm sure he'll be interested in him. Unless he's become a headcase like Kabanov, but I don't think that's the case here. A lot would probably depend on how his combine interview goes.

Old
05-19-2012, 06:02 AM
The Old Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGuins8711 View Post
I'd take Grigorenko in a heartbeat if he fell to us. If Shero was interested in Tarasenko, I'm sure he'll be interested in him. Unless he's become a headcase like Kabanov, but I don't think that's the case here. A lot would probably depend on how his combine interview goes.
kaby seems to be turn around....i would not mind moving a 3 liner, and take a chance on him. imo

Old
05-19-2012, 06:06 AM
Vujtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Memorial Cup on NHL live. Guys to watch, Henrik Samuelsson who is expected to go late first early second, Griffin Reinhart who will go early in the first round but you never know.
Anyone have info on Samuelsson? What's his game like? If we draft him, would it be because of his own merits or just because he's part of the Penguins family? I hope for the former and not because he's Ulfie's son and his brother is already in the organisation.

Old
05-19-2012, 08:14 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vujtek View Post
Anyone have info on Samuelsson? What's his game like? If we draft him, would it be because of his own merits or just because he's part of the Penguins family? I hope for the former and not because he's Ulfie's son and his brother is already in the organisation.
He's scheduled to probably be picked in the 2nd round so I don't think he'd be a reach if we picked him. Definitely has more of his dad in him that Phillip, he's been suspended 3 times in just 28 games. Not the best skater but strong on his skate, plays physical and likes to take it to the net.

Closed Thread