HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Penguins Prospect Thread

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve

vCash: 2449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vujtek View Post
Anyone have info on Samuelsson? What's his game like? If we draft him, would it be because of his own merits or just because he's part of the Penguins family? I hope for the former and not because he's Ulfie's son and his brother is already in the organisation.
From what I saw of him, he looks good along the boards, battles hard, has a physical edge, and isn't lacking skill. His line last night was causing a lot of problems for Shawinigan's defense because of their dominance along the boards.

Old
05-19-2012, 11:16 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
Goaltending is easily the weakest position among our prospect group. I wouldn't be upset if they drafted a goalie in the 1st round in the slightest. I know people want flashy forwards, but there aren't many available in this draft, and we don't really need to draft any more defensemen (although Shero may think otherwise).
I have no problem taking a goaltender. The only issue is that there are only 2 great goaltenders and I'm not sure if either falls to us, and especially not Subban.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
I have a feeling one of Murray, Trouba, Ceci, or Rielly will slip out of the top 15. Any of those guys would be a coup for Shero.

I said it before, but If Rielly slips out of the top 15 Shero should make a move to grab him. If he didn't ter his knee up, he would of easily been a top ten pick.

Despres, Morrow, Harrington and Rielly on the same farm would be unreal.

I cannot stress how unlikely it is that ANY of those defensemen fall anywhere near us, or even out of the top 15. They are all top-10 picks.

That said, I'm always an advocate of moving up to grab a player we like. I'm not sure we can move into the 10-12 range, however.

Old
05-19-2012, 11:22 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Scott Harrington

I just wanted to chime in on the discussion about Harrington that was going on in the last Prospects' thread, which I did not have a chance to do before it was closed.

It could rightfully be argued that Scott Harrington is our #1 prospect amongst defensemen (and, in turn, our #1 prospect in our entire organization). Yes, guys like Despres & Morrow *might* have more upside, but then again, Harrington may have even more upside than a lot of people think. This is a guy who may be able to play on the 1st PP unit at the NHL level one day.

I really believe that if you polled 30 NHL teams and asked them which of Morrow/Despres/Harrington they would like to have, at least one-third of them would choose Scott Harrington.

Old
05-19-2012, 11:24 AM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vujtek View Post
Anyone have info on Samuelsson? What's his game like? If we draft him, would it be because of his own merits or just because he's part of the Penguins family? I hope for the former and not because he's Ulfie's son and his brother is already in the organisation.
He scored the game winner last night too. He didn't look too bad, but definitely needs to improve his skating a bit. I wouldn't be upset if we took him in the 2nd round.

Old
05-19-2012, 11:32 AM
Jacob

He looks Corey Perry-ish. In playing style only, not necessarily upside.

Old
05-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Flat Stanley

Could Samuelsson be around at 52?

Old
05-19-2012, 11:40 AM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

I'm not opposed to taking a goalie in the first round. Fleury is 27 right now and let's say the goalie we draft is 18. The drafted goalie will spend about 2 more years in Junior and then maybe 3 or 4 years in the AHL. Five years from now Fleury will be 32 and the drafted goalie will be 23. That seems like a decent goaltending duo in which Fleury won't have to start as many games and the new goalie will have a great learning experience.

Then again, I'm not a GM and don't know when the goalie would become a UFA.

Old
05-19-2012, 11:52 AM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
Could Samuelsson be around at 52?
possibly, could easily be gone by then to.

Old
05-19-2012, 12:03 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
He scored the game winner last night too. He didn't look too bad, but definitely needs to improve his skating a bit. I wouldn't be upset if we took him in the 2nd round.
More like a lot. Wasn't impressed with his skating at all. With young players though that can come with time. His brother's skating has improved considerably since his first camp.

Old
05-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Who's next?

I think I'm about done with picking Samuelssons in the 2nd round.

Old
05-19-2012, 01:10 PM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post
I have no problem taking a goaltender. The only issue is that there are only 2 great goaltenders and I'm not sure if either falls to us, and especially not Subban.

I cannot stress how unlikely it is that ANY of those defensemen fall anywhere near us, or even out of the top 15. They are all top-10 picks.

That said, I'm always an advocate of moving up to grab a player we like. I'm not sure we can move into the 10-12 range, however.
When all rankings and things come out, about 20 players are slated to be in the top 10. Something has gotta give.

Old
05-19-2012, 01:33 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
When all rankings and things come out, about 20 players are slated to be in the top 10. Something has gotta give.

Even if there were 20 players competing for top-10 status (which I'm not sure is the case), all of those guys you listed are consensus top-8 or 10 picks, or higher. There might be some of the "other' guys available, but not any of those guys.

Trouba, Rielly, Rheinhart, Murray, Dumba, Ceci will all go somewhere in the first 7 to 10 picks.

If we move up into the 10 to 12 slot, we may have a chance at guys like Maata, Finn, Lindholm or Pouliot on D. I don't see us moving up that high, though.

Old
05-19-2012, 03:12 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmelm View Post

How many times do people say that, then a Fowler or Couturier slips.... This draft has so many quality blueliners that can be future 2-4s, that there is no possible way I believe all of those guys are picked in the top ten.

With players like Reinhart, Lindholm and Määttä making their cases for being top ten picks, I am pretty confident someone slides out of the top 15.

This isn't even taking into account more wildcards like Finn, Matheson or Pouliot who could slip into the top 15.

We have no idea how teams rank these players... The public scouting prospect rankings are usually nothing like team rankings. Some team may have Finn in their top ten, while another may have him outside of the first round. All it takes is for one team to like Finn and he can go in the top dozen picks, etc. etc.

Last edited by Mr Jiggyfly: 05-19-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old
05-19-2012, 03:41 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Who's next?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly View Post
How many times do people say that, then a Fowler or Couturier slips.... This draft has so many quality blueliners that can be future 2-4s, that there is no possible way I believe all of those guys are picked in the top ten.

With players like Reinhart, Lindholm and Määttä making their cases for being top ten picks, I am pretty confident someone slides out of the top 15.

This isn't even taking into account more wildcards like Finn, Matheson or Pouliot who could slip into the top 15.

We have no idea how teams rank these players... The public scouting prospect rankings are usually nothing like team rankings. Some team may have Finn in their top ten, while another may have him outside of the first round. All it takes is for one team to like Finn and he can go in the top dozen picks, etc. etc.
Yep, there are draft sliders almost every year. It's entirely possible we nab one...not that picking up draft sliders is necessarily a good thing, as we all found out with Esposito.

Old
05-19-2012, 04:02 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Yep, there are draft sliders almost every year. It's entirely possible we nab one...not that picking up draft sliders is necessarily a good thing, as we all found out with Esposito.
Despres slid and it looks to have worked out. Tarasenko slid and he should of never gotten out of the top 8... I was pacing every time his name wasn't called... Begging for Shero to move up... But Murray didn't like his offer (if it was ever made) over Rundblad. That still hurts...

There is so much blueline depth that someone is bound to slide.

Or it could push a fwd prospect down.

Old
05-19-2012, 05:06 PM
Vujtek

Quote:
Yeah, for a 2nd rounder he'd be good pick. I was just wondering if he's worthy to use our 1st round pick for. Is he that good?

Old
05-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Jacob

This draft seems to be deep in categories we don't really need- like smallish puck-moving d-men.

Watching London vs. Saint John (or Johns?), Harrington had 4 shifts in the first 5 minutes. He also had a turnover that led to a goal, but his winger was MIA and Houser (who doesn't impress me) should have had it.

Old
05-19-2012, 07:55 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

I like Max Domi. Be a nice pick in 2013.

Old
05-19-2012, 08:07 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
I like Max Domi. Be a nice pick in 2013.
I'm sure Lemieux will make Shero draft him.

Old
05-19-2012, 08:08 PM
Flat Stanley

I thought Domi was eligible for the draft this year?

Old
05-19-2012, 08:09 PM
MrBurgundy
Time to move forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes of Orpik View Post
I thought Domi was eligible for the draft this year?
They were saying in this game that it's his rookie season.

Old
05-19-2012, 08:20 PM
wej20

Yeah Domi's definitely 2013 eligible.

Old
05-19-2012, 08:58 PM
Flat Stanley

Houser should have stopped both Sea Dogs' goals.

With that said he was still OHL MVP (I think that's what the announcer said)

Where is he projected to go?

EDIT: draftsite.com has him going in the 6th round.

Last edited by Flat Stanley: 05-19-2012 at 09:04 PM.
Old
05-19-2012, 08:59 PM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Yes, and he will probably go in the top 15-20 picks next year. Love everything about this kid's game.

Old
05-19-2012, 09:44 PM
Letang fan 58
No More Fleury

Memorial Cup

Man Scott Harrington is looking like a beast out there for London vs the Seadogs tonight!

Closed Thread