HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Penguins Prospect Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-09-2012, 02:01 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

vCash: 500
Anyone watch? Did Zlobin play for the Russians?

Old
08-09-2012, 02:13 PM
KareemTrustfund
California Gurlz

He looked really good playing with Grigorenko and Yakupov.

He had some really good chances, almost tied the game up in the last minute. He was also on the first PP unit. He may have gotten a secondary assist on Yakupov's pp goal but I'm not sure.

Old
08-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:
Originally Posted by KareemTrustfund View Post
He looked really good playing with Grigorenko and Yakupov.

He had some really good chances, almost tied the game up in the last minute. He was also on the first PP unit. He may have gotten a secondary assist on Yakupov's pp goal but I'm not sure.
Thanks, can't wait to watch the games in Canada since it will be at night

Old
08-10-2012, 12:04 AM
Burgs

You can watch the entire game 1 as a stream on TSN.ca. Harrington's goal came after a Russian turnover deep in their own zone. Huberdeau passed the puck back to the blueline to an open Harrington who took one look and fired a low wrister through traffic and right inside the far post. Harrington also wore an 'A' today.

Old
08-10-2012, 09:52 AM
Hans Rutherford
Got Experience?

Here's a live stream to the Canada vs Russia. It's 0-0 going into the second right now.

http://tv-link.me/lsh1.php

Old
08-10-2012, 11:15 AM
Valarukar

Is Harrington wearing the C?

Old
08-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Burgs

Russia won 6-3. Zlobin scored the opening goal on the PP. Harrington captained Canada and played on the 1st D pairing with Reilly. Helped kill a 5 minute major to Scheifele for kneeing, but went scoreless. Goalie for Canada was undrafted Maxime Lagacé who attended the Pens prospect camp last summer and signed with Dallas last month.

Old
08-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Hans Rutherford
Got Experience?

I was half paying attention since I'm at work. But Canada played so bad defensively, almost as bad as a Penguins playoff game. They left two Russia players wide completely alone on a penalty kill in the third, Murphy was a complete wreck defensively and a turnover machine. Lagace let in acouple that he really should have had. Didn't notice Harrington make any major blunders though, but I wasn't watching that closely though.

Old
08-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Solution

http://campaign.r20.constantcontact....sv87p4rA%3D%3D

On a completely unrelated note, WBS signed these guys to AHL contracts. It almost makes you believe that a trade or two is in the works. Otherwise, WBS and Wheeling will be loaded with some talent.

Old
08-10-2012, 05:24 PM
Burgs

These guys are simply depth players who will mostly fill the ECHL roster. Manderson (Bennett's former linemate with Penticton in 09-10) already spent last season with Wheeling, so did Chupp for much of the year. Quinnipiac graduate Zurevinski attended Pens prospect camp last year, and is a teammate of Nailers defensder Zach Hansen who was re-signed for the upcoming season.

Wheeling managed to keep some core players this summer but still lost #1 defenseman Andrew Hotham and 2nd leading scorer Paul Crowder. And last season's top scorer and ECHL All-Rookie teamer Chris Barton is still unsigned.

Old
08-11-2012, 05:11 PM
Sideline

vCash: 50
I was extremely impressed with Harrington's defensive intelligence. I would like to seem him be a little harder on the puck when making clears, but he far and away Canada's best shutdown option for the WJHC (assuming Murray makes CBJ). He's going to take someone's NHL roster spot in the 2013-14 season.

Old
08-12-2012, 03:17 AM
deakka

Sundqvist didnt record any points in the 4 games he played for team sweden in lake placid. Unfortunately i didnt catch any of the games so i cant comment on what role he had. Maybe he did a good job as a 3th/4th line shutdown player. Anyone have any insight on this?

Maata had 3 points or so i think. Apparently very noticable in at least 2 of the games form what ive read.

Old
08-12-2012, 01:03 PM
Burgs

Määttä had 1 goal, 2 assists and 6 PIM in 5 games. Finland sufferred a couple blowout losses in the tourney. Sundqvist was scoreless with 6 PIM in 4 games. I think he has little chance of making the Swedish WJC team as an 18 year old.

Tony Granato was one of the camp coaches for the U.S. teams but no Penguins prospects were on the American roster. Still, three Pittsburgh area products in goalie John Gibson (39th overall '11 ANA) and forwards J.T. Miller (15th overall '11 NYR) and Vince Trochek (64th overall '11 FLA) made the team.

Old
08-12-2012, 08:44 PM
gdsmack267

Prospect Tournament

I know the last few years the Penguins have taken part in a prospect tournament with Ottawa, Toronto and Chicago. I was just wondering if you guys know if any dates have been announced yet for this years tourney. Also which prospects do you think will be a part of it?

Old
08-12-2012, 08:47 PM
clefty
What?

There's no tournament this year.

Old
08-12-2012, 09:03 PM
gdsmack267

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
There's no tournament this year.
Damn, i use to love watching the games because its the first penguins hockey in months lol

Old
08-13-2012, 07:11 PM
Burgs

Anton Zlobin just scored a shortie in Game 3 of the CAN-RUS junior challenge. Score is now 4-2 Russia early in the 2nd period. Canada's U20 goalies are weak, and have been for years...

TSN stream here if anyone's interested.

Old
08-13-2012, 08:00 PM
Gallatin
A Banksy of Goonism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgs View Post
Anton Zlobin just scored a shortie in Game 3 of the CAN-RUS junior challenge. Score is now 4-2 Russia early in the 2nd period. Canada's U20 goalies are weak, and have been for years...

TSN stream here if anyone's interested.
So is it too early to consider our 2012 6th rounder to be in full "blowing up" mode?

Old
08-13-2012, 10:48 PM
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce

Anyone in the know think Murray could nab a spot on the team if he has a great season? It seems like in net it's Subban and then a wide open field almost.

Old
08-13-2012, 11:38 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Iron Proficient

Harrington had another good game. He just makes the smart, efficient play every time.

Old
08-14-2012, 12:16 AM
Sidney the Kidney
Epic Collapse

vCash: 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasty Biscuits View Post
Anyone in the know think Murray could nab a spot on the team if he has a great season? It seems like in net it's Subban and then a wide open field almost.
Very, very doubtful. Team Canada tends to have a pecking order, so unless Murray is flat out awesome to start the year, combined with every other goalie who is on Hockey Canada's radar sucking large, I don't think he'll even get an invite to camp, let alone make the club.

Old
08-14-2012, 10:22 AM
KareemTrustfund
California Gurlz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
Harrington had another good game. He just makes the smart, efficient play every time.
He has been great the entire series so far. I don't know how many times Yakupov tried to get by him but couldn't.

Its funny because Prophet of Glennie (or Faidh ar Rud Eigin as he is known now) still finds ways to knock Harrington , sometimes making up things out of nowhere. I mean , if forcing Yakupov wide and until he goes behind the net is "letting Yakupov walk right around him" then maybe i just don't know what good defense is.

Old
08-14-2012, 10:34 AM
Hans Rutherford
Got Experience?

Wasn't Murphy the player that joke 'Prophet of Glennie' was advocating should have been on the WJC team over Harrington? What does he think of his defense in this Russia series?

Old
08-14-2012, 10:43 AM
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor

Murphy looks absolutely brutal, and I have zero doubt that CAR was pushing him hard on us as part of the Staal package, and ZERO doubt that Shero ardently refused.

I cannot see Murphy being anything more than a 6th Dman/PP quarterback if he doesn't somehow significantly improve his game. He looks like he could be a bust, and if I was CAR, I would strongly consider converting him to forward at even strength, and play D on 4-on-4 or PP. CAR really screwed up by not instead opting for a guy like Beaulieu, who is close in terms of offensive potential, but FAR better all-around.

On another note, Morgan Rielly: I don't think the Leafs were joking when they said they had this kid rated 1st overall. IMO, he has been the most impressive player this entire series. I think he will be better than Murray, Reinhart, Dumba, and perhaps even Hamilton. This kid has absolutely unreal skating ability, hockey sense, and a creative way that he thinks & sees the game. If he were in our prospect pool, he would be the clear cut #1. I think he has the upside to be as good as Letang (aka Norris contender), and possibly even better.

What I said about Murphy above, and to a lesser extent Rielly (as he may be on another level than DP), should make us feel very good about the Pouliot selection. After seeing Rielly play and the lack of all-around game Murphy has; to think that Pouliot is arguably the "2nd best" offensive Dman in the draft after Rielly -- with some skills, such as vision, transition game & playmaking ability that might even be "best in draft class" -- we have to be pretty excited about Pouliot and what he could bring to our team in the future.

Old
08-14-2012, 11:19 AM
Burgs

Well Canada sucked defensively overall and their goalie didn't help any. But Murphy is an offensive defenseman and he had a hand in 4 of Canada's 5 goals last night. How many points did Pouliot have? Oh right, he wasn't even invited to the series. I also watched Murphy be the best defenseman by far at the U18 World Champs two years ago. How was Pouliot? Oh right, he never made either U18 team. From what I've seen, Murphy is more dynamic and has a great shot while Pouliot seems to have better vision and passing. Both will have to work on their game but to throw one under the bus to make Shero's reach look better by comparison isn't necessary.

Closed Thread