HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rob Scuderi

Old
05-24-2012, 09:40 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidTheKid8787 View Post
http://triblive.com/mobile/msports/#...geles-feel-los

“There were a couple of messages from Brooks (Orpik) and Sidney (Crosby),” former Penguins defenseman Rob Scuderi said. “Just them saying, ‘Good luck.’ It’s always nice to get a show of support from your friends.”
That fact that Rossi referenced "Free Candy" is 100% proof he reads and possibly posts here. That's not a nickname anyone else knows about or uses. Hey Rossi: hope you enjoy our comments. Learn how to be a real journalist and maybe you'll get some compliments for a change.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:43 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by #66 View Post
He was right though and the refs turned a blind eye to a lot of BS by the players from the biggest media capitals in world.

Browns been a complete dirtbag this entire playoffs. Don't get me wrong I like a player willing to be the bad guy but if Matt Cooke did one of those things he's nailed to a cross made from two Koho sticks and would be out for the playoffs.
No doubt. The refs have been absolute garbage through much of this season and playoff. The NHL has a serious officiating problem, whether it can acknowledge it or not. Doan was pretty much right. The reality is, the last thing in the world the NHL wanted was PHX - NJ, so they're going to give every borderline call and benefit of the doubt to the Kings and Rangers in that case. Although NJ probably won't get abused as much as PHX did because of their Cup pedigree, Brodeur and proximity to NY (many fans in NY market will still watch).

Old
05-24-2012, 09:45 AM
shizno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
That fact that Rossi referenced "Free Candy" is 100% proof he reads and possibly posts here.
Not really, the main pens boards use that term + I see it mentioned on comments on yahoo, it's all over youtube (the video of the shift it originated from) etc

shizno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:51 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizno View Post
Not really, the main pens boards use that term + I see it mentioned on comments on yahoo, it's all over youtube (the video of the shift it originated from) etc
Actually it originated here AFAIK, and then spread to those other places. It didn't actually start with his big hit sequence vs. Detroit (if that's what you're referencing); it started from a picture of this van and Orpik being photoshopped into it (again not 100% sure but pretty close). Probably something about "van driving pyschos" and "Orpik's eyes". There may have been something else that precipitated the conversation but the monster hit sequences and video definitely came after, AFAIK.

Either way I doubt he'd reference something we see on Yahoo or random comment threads... vs. here where it's almost universally known / used all the time. Either way he's a hack.

Old
05-24-2012, 09:52 AM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
That fact that Rossi referenced "Free Candy" is 100% proof he reads and possibly posts here. That's not a nickname anyone else knows about or uses. Hey Rossi: hope you enjoy our comments. Learn how to be a real journalist and maybe you'll get some compliments for a change.
ThePensBlog uses it all the time, and he's been on their podcasts once or twice.

MrBurghundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
ThePensBlog uses it all the time, and he's been on their podcasts once or twice.
Doesn't the PensBlog guy post here also though? You guys are trying to crush my perception of the hockey pillar that is HFB.

Old
05-24-2012, 09:56 AM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

Quote:
Actually it originated here AFAIK, and then spread to those other places. It didn't actually start with his big hit sequence vs. Detroit (if that's what you're referencing); it started from a picture of this van and Orpik being photoshopped into it (again not 100% sure but pretty close). Probably something about "van driving pyschos" and "Orpik's eyes". There may have been something else that precipitated the conversation but the monster hit sequences and video definitely came after, AFAIK.

Either way I doubt he'd reference something we see on Yahoo or random comment threads... vs. here where it's almost universally known / used all the time. Either way he's a hack.
First place I saw it was on pensblog but I didn't come here until later. At this point it is a very commonly known nickname though.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 09:58 AM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Doesn't the PensBlog guy post here also though? You guys are trying to crush my perception of the hockey pillar that is HFB.
I know steelcityassault does, but he only does the WBS part of it, and I don't think he joined them until last year or the year before.

The other guys I have no clue on. They're probably more interested in their piece of **** "cblog".

Old
05-24-2012, 09:59 AM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
First place I saw it was on pensblog but I didn't come here until later. At this point it is a very commonly known nickname though.
Same.

Old
05-24-2012, 10:03 AM

Quote:
I tried listening to one of their podcasts and they hardly knew about the 89 series with the Rangers and Flyers. I guess I was expecting to much.

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:05 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

OK. I still say Rossi patrols these waters with an eye towards clicks and how he might best get a reaction out of us, instead of just being a good sports reporter / writing interesting, verifiable and useful material. In the meantime, remember the good ole days:

Remember this one, where he grabbed Semin by the foot and flung him down the ice?

And the "Steigy Effect" whereby a guy flying 10 feet actually flies 20?

Sadly, I can no longer find my favorite one, which shows Orpik dumping a Flyer on his ass like a pinata and candy is pouring out all over the place.

Old
05-24-2012, 10:07 AM
MrBurghundy
Relax

If only Orpik can get back to those days...

Old
05-24-2012, 10:10 AM
Darth Vitale
Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
If only Orpik can get back to those days...
Hopefully a long summer of rest and workouts does the trick. I forget, did he have one of his hernia surgeries last summer? If not then I guess the odds are against a return of the old Orpik, since that would mean last summer he had plenty of rest and workouts too.

Tough to say...

Old
05-24-2012, 10:17 AM
DoctrSteveBrule
@MouseRat_Fan

delete

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:18 AM
BlindWillyMcHurt

It seems like Orpik has gone under the knife every single offseason for the last five years, or so. It feel like he's had two or three surgeries alone for his hernia issues.

So even if I don't remember offhand, myself... it's a safe bet he underwent some sort of surgery last offseason. It's almost part of his regimen, these days... unfortunately.

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:21 AM
DoctrSteveBrule
@MouseRat_Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindWillyMcHurt View Post
It seems like Orpik has gone under the knife every single offseason for the last five years, or so. It feel like he's had two or three surgeries alone for his hernia issues.

So even if I don't remember offhand, myself... it's a safe bet he underwent some sort of surgery last offseason. It's almost part of his regimen, these days... unfortunately.

he's had surgery the past 2 offseasons for 2 separate sports hernias. Its not that uncommon of a surgery.

DoctrSteveBrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:29 AM
BlindWillyMcHurt

I thought they were related, for some reason. And I'm well aware that sports hernias are fairly common... particularity in hockey. The point was that Orpik has gone under the knife an awful lot the last few years. It wears on a guy and can at least partially explain why Brooks looked so... well... horribad this past year.

BlindWillyMcHurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
vikingGoalie

how about scuderi's comment

Quote:
As talented as our forwards are, we’re still a team built from the back out, and our most talented offensive players are some of our most important defensive players.

ahem, Blysma and Shero are you listening?

vikingGoalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
gopens66
25-66-92

The "Free Candy" nickname started here. It was before the '08 Finals run, even. Everybody always joked about his psycho eyes. Someone Photoshopped him into the van above and it started then. Since then, it has been thrown around at Thepensblog pretty regularly as well as Youtube videos. It got back to Orpik one way or another and he said he didn't like the name.

Also, yes Orpik had hernia surgery last summer. But, if I remember correctly, it wasn't until late summer.

gopens66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 10:39 AM
MrBurghundy
Relax

Quote:
Hopefully a long summer of rest and workouts does the trick. I forget, did he have one of his hernia surgeries last summer? If not then I guess the odds are against a return of the old Orpik, since that would mean last summer he had plenty of rest and workouts too.

Tough to say...
He did have hernia surgery last summer, so there is still hope.

Old
05-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Mordax
It don't Maatta

BRB. Gonna go watch "The Shift" on youtube and reminisce...

Mordax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 12:35 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:

Pretty sure Jarkko Ruutu referenced Brooks "giving out some free candy" in a press scrum that Rossi was a part of a few years ago.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 12:58 PM
bigd

I hope it's not the same reference as delivering free pizzas. I've heard players use that to descibe an opposing player turning over the puck.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 03:11 PM
Mario_is_BACK!!
ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!

Send a message via AIM to Mario_is_BACK!! Send a message via MSN to Mario_is_BACK!!
Quote:
Hate to burst your bubble bud but every forum, a lot of people on Twitter, and even when I worked with the team people called him Free Candy.

Mario_is_BACK!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Mordax
It don't Maatta

Pretty sure it was a PensBlog started nickname:
http://thepensblog.wikispaces.com/Free+Candy

Mordax is offline   Reply With Quote