HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Tambellini be fired?

View Poll Results: Should Tambo be let go
Yes 118 54.38%
No 28 12.90%
Not sure 9 4.15%
give him another year or two 62 28.57%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-19-2012, 05:11 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

vCash: 500
For those complaining about how we acquired our elite talent, tell me this since we traded away Messier and co. how many elite talents have we had? Weight may have been an elite passer and then we had one year of a truly elite player in Pronger. Let's not forget that free agents shunned us, hell even Heatley spurned us via trade. We NEEDED these elite players and the best chance to get them was via sucking and drafting high in the draft. It's all well and good saying that there are other ways to acquire these talents, but unless you are being shot down time and time again by them you have no leg to stand on.

Now I realize that many of you aren't happy with how things have gone on the ice for the last 3 seasons, but would you prefer the team or a mirror image of it from prior to '09-10? At least with the pieces that we have now added I can see us being a team that in short order will be a threat to be a contender every year for a decade depending on health. IMO that beats the hell out of being a threat to make the playoffs and get bounced in the 1st round pretty well every year IF WE GET THERE.

Here's where we agree, the picks and elite talent are in the bag, and potentially the last elite talent gets added in June. So now this part of the rebuild is done. Now comes the hard part where tough decisions needs to be made and because this is a whole new world for Tambellini IMO his leash is going to be short and attached to a choke collar and I agree with that.

For those saying that any moron could've done what Tambo did, maybe, however IMO he has done some really good things, shed salary and dead weight for picks to help stock the cupboard (we won't be drafting high and often forever), and he has turned the farm team around, a successful farm team can pay almost immediate dividends, look at Binghampton last year and Ottawa this year. He realized that he had a strong scouting staff and has taken advantage of that every step of the way. It was obvious early that the key component to rebuilding this club was going to be the draft.

So what has he done to take advantage of his strong scouting?

Penner for a 1st, 3rd, and a recent 1st rounder
Grebeshkov (who then left for the KHL) for a 2nd
Riley Nash (who wouldn't sign here) for a 2nd
Cogliano for a 2nd
Staios for a 3rd

That IMO is making the most out of your biggest team strength and that IMO is something that someone with a vision does.

Whether we are on the same page is irrelevant, the bottom line is that we now have elite talent in tow and that was the biggest need that this team has had for 20 years, I'll take a team led by Hall, RNH, and co. in the postseason over what we've had prior to their arrival. The tough sledding is just about over and whether you like it or not it's because of Tambellini's plan that we now have this elite talent. For all of the love that bloggers get, a number of them would've gotten short term fixes like Mike Johnson, Radek Bonk, etc. and kept us stuck in perennial mediocrity or drafting Sam Gagner's instead of RNH's, sorry but I've seen more than enough of that movie for one lifetime.

05-19-2012, 05:12 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
abso-****ing-lutely he should be fired.

of course we all know K Lowe should go first and foremost, but I'll definitely settle for Tambellini's ass getting served walking papers in the mean time.

just a bad GM, what else is there to say.

and **** giving another "year or two". for what? another year or two of bottom 3 finishes with overpayments and bad/cheap free agent signings?

Tambellini is an embarrassment and has taken this franchise to new low(e)s.
What kind of a wager do you want to make? There is no way in hell that we end up bottom 3 next year. A month avatar bet?

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:38 PM
CorpseFX

vCash: 50
doesnt matter right now until the kids are ready to take over as full time "VETS" this team is going nowhere. the vets they have right now are garbage and cant be replaced by any practical means (trade/free agency + contracts that are eating them alive like Horcoff, etc). ... any GM will be stuck with crapola for a few years and implementing a sound strategy will be glacial.

if you think Tambo is spreading the dollaz around wrong for the future - recently - then fine, fire him.

i liked the try with Belanger... it just gong-showed way worse than anyone could have imagined. Eager is "eh". Hordichuk is nice for a 4th liner. Cam Barker sucks. wishful thinking on that signing after his track record.

if youre thinking that this team is going somewhere "elite" in the next 1-2 years with some minor "fixes"... keep praying.

CorpseFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:49 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
What kind of a wager do you want to make? There is no way in hell that we end up bottom 3 next year. A month avatar bet?

It is way to early to be making bets on where this team is going to finish next year.Wait until September when we actually know what the team is going to look like.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:53 PM
Daneo21

For those that said yes... what is your concept of a rebuild? We all knew this was coming after our first 30th place finish... We blew up this team and are slowly putting it back together...

1 or 2 more years of Tambo should be more than enough and this next year as some have said its his make it or break it year...

In all fairness we did see Tambo try to address some issues this past year with certain signings (Smyth for leadership, Belanger for face-offs (the one good thing he was useful for), Eager and Hordichuck for some **** disturbing toughness)

Its a long off season lets just wait and see

Daneo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:53 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Not exactly going out on a line there.

If we're anywhere near being a lottery club this far into our rebuild we're in trouble.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:56 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneo21 View Post
For those that said yes... what is your concept of a rebuild? We all knew this was coming after our first 30th place finish... We blew up this team and are slowly putting it back together...

1 or 2 more years of Tambo should be more than enough and this next year as some have said its his make it or break it year...

In all fairness we did see Tambo try to address some issues this past year with certain signings (Smyth for leadership, Belanger for face-offs (the one good thing he was useful for), Eager and Hordichuck for some **** disturbing toughness)

Its not just about ones concept of a rebuild. Its about whether the GM that was the perfect guy to sink the org is the one that can lead it from the bottom of the sea.

The cynical side of me says guys like Tambo and Quinn were recruited specifically to deepsix this org and to blow it up real good. To that end they did their job. I'm not convinced Tambo is much good for anything else. What indication is there of him filling the roster with necessary ingredients here?

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 06:01 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 196
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneo21 View Post

Then why fire Renney?

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 06:07 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 692
Quote:
You probably would have tried to make that bet at this time last year too. Here's something for you to think about, Tambellini has been so bad that he has done something no team has done in the last 20 years by picking first overall 3 times in a row, and the kicker is he has no excuse. At least with Pittsburgh and Chicago they had ownership troubles to fall back on. Also for all the years of suck how many championships has Pittsburgh won with the top two players in the world? How about Chicago? Atlanta? Colorado? Washington? Tampa? Sucking for 3 straight years doesn't guarantee you a dynasty team like many on this board seem to think it will. To me a good GM is one who can rebuild and stay competitive like Detroit, PHI, and NJ have done. So that's why I think it's time for new blood in the front office. Someone who will take action and make things happen instead of waiting for things to happen like Tambellini who IMO is probably the worst GM since Milbury. He might even be worse but who knows he hasn't made enough significant trades to judge him.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 06:25 PM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
Tambellini should be fired.
Look what he did last offseason. He signed Belanger, Barker, Eager, Sutton, and Potter (am I missing anyone?).All of these guys range from garbage to less than mediocre. The only decent move that he made last offseason was the Smyth trade. And lets not forget that he almost effed up that trade because Calgary was quicker to the punch. Not one of his signings/trades has been a steal and you need some of those to be successful i.e Sather
It's funny about hindsight around here. Most were content with Tambellini's offseason now all of a sudden all these moves were garbage? Oh HFOil.

Belanger was a consistent 35-40 pt player before this season who was also a good PKer and great faceoff guy a.k.a. the 3rd line center that airmchair HF GMs have been crying for Tambellini to pick up the last couple of years and now he was garbage?

Smyth was the type of veteran that we supposedly needed going into this season and he produced decently enough all things considered, armchair HF GMs were crying for veteran leadership to be brought in and now he was garbage?
Edit: you said that this was a decent move. Ok

Eager was supposed to address some much needed toughness in the bottom 6 and protect the youngsters, it didn't work out but i remember plenty of armchair GMs crying out for a player like him and now he was garbage?

Hordichuk was brought in to address some toughness and he largely did his job but was underplayed by the coach, Tambo's fault?

Sutton was supposed to address some much needed toughness on the blueline even in a bottom pairing capacity and again, armchair HF GMs were crying for Tambellini to add some toughness on the blueline and now he was garbage?

Potter was signed for cheap and he provided some decent offense from the blueline. He was brought in for AHL depth primarily, i don't see how this is a garbage move, can never have enough depth.

Barker was a garbage move, no argument from me. Not a big deal though, he's a goner now.

I can go on and on about his moves over the years but don't feel like putting in the effort right now. He hasn't made any WOW moves by any means but he hasn't crippled the organization like a lot here like to believe. The Khabibulin move is the only one to me that jumps out as a complete bonehead move.
Yes, i understand that the team has finished 30th, 30th and 29th but did you guys expect much better? I most certainly didn't. They outlined a 4-6 year plan and i'm holding them to that, a lot of you seem to have had unrealistic expectations IMO plus if the team finished say 10th-13th in these years, we wouldn't have Hall, RNH and hopefully Yakupov.
I was always thought that '12-'13 was the year to compete for the playoffs, Year 3 of the rebuild if you will and yes, it will be the 3rd full year since they tore it down.

What i don't like about Tambellini is his communication or lack thereof and i know that it's media created for the most part but there are too many rumors of his miscommunications for my liking and his coaching selections have been horrid. It's vital that this next coaching move is a smart one and one that sticks for at least several seasons to give some semblance of stability at that position.

I'm not saying that he's a good GM since he hasn't really proven himself but he is doing exactly what he was brought in to do. I truly believe that this will be the first offseason that he will truly make his mark good or bad, lets hope for the sake of Oil Country that he has an active offseason and good active for me would be not trading the pick and picking Yakupov and signing or trading for one top 4 puckmoving defenseman and one solid, veteran stay at home guy. Schultz/Carle and Allen/Sarich.
I would like for him to add some grit to the top 6 but i wouldn't hold it against him if he couldn't add a guy like that because those guys are tough to attain and the Oilers don't have a ton of attractive available assets. Clowe, Dubinsky or Malone would work for me if he can swing a move.
I would say that if he made these moves, that this team will be on the fast track towards a playoff spot. I don't think that the team is THAT far off, the play clearly improved last season so with these additions, the team will be much improved IMO and the fire Tambo talk will wane.

Last edited by CupofOil: 05-19-2012 at 06:31 PM.
CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 06:51 PM
T-Funk

Give him 1 year to prove his worth

If he does nothing useful this summer, fire him.
Team doesn't make the playoffs, fire him.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 07:11 PM
the doctor

Quote:
That's the expectation? The Oilers won't finish bottom 3? Step out man, call for the playoffs, Lowe assembled that awesome world champion team, surely you should expect more?

the doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 07:25 PM
oilfaninvan

Quote:
For those complaining about how we acquired our elite talent, tell me this since we traded away Messier and co. how many elite talents have we had? Weight may have been an elite passer and then we had one year of a truly elite player in Pronger. Let's not forget that free agents shunned us, hell even Heatley spurned us via trade. We NEEDED these elite players and the best chance to get them was via sucking and drafting high in the draft. It's all well and good saying that there are other ways to acquire these talents, but unless you are being shot down time and time again by them you have no leg to stand on.

Now I realize that many of you aren't happy with how things have gone on the ice for the last 3 seasons, but would you prefer the team or a mirror image of it from prior to '09-10? At least with the pieces that we have now added I can see us being a team that in short order will be a threat to be a contender every year for a decade depending on health. IMO that beats the hell out of being a threat to make the playoffs and get bounced in the 1st round pretty well every year IF WE GET THERE.

Here's where we agree, the picks and elite talent are in the bag, and potentially the last elite talent gets added in June. So now this part of the rebuild is done. Now comes the hard part where tough decisions needs to be made and because this is a whole new world for Tambellini IMO his leash is going to be short and attached to a choke collar and I agree with that.

For those saying that any moron could've done what Tambo did, maybe, however IMO he has done some really good things, shed salary and dead weight for picks to help stock the cupboard (we won't be drafting high and often forever), and he has turned the farm team around, a successful farm team can pay almost immediate dividends, look at Binghampton last year and Ottawa this year. He realized that he had a strong scouting staff and has taken advantage of that every step of the way. It was obvious early that the key component to rebuilding this club was going to be the draft.

Cogliano for a 2nd
Staios for a 3rd

That IMO is making the most out of your biggest team strength and that IMO is something that someone with a vision does.

Whether we are on the same page is irrelevant, the bottom line is that we now have elite talent in tow and that was the biggest need that this team has had for 20 years, I'll take a team led by Hall, RNH, and co. in the postseason over what we've had prior to their arrival. The tough sledding is just about over and whether you like it or not it's because of Tambellini's plan that we now have this elite talent. For all of the love that bloggers get, a number of them would've gotten short term fixes like Mike Johnson, Radek Bonk, etc. and kept us stuck in perennial mediocrity or drafting Sam Gagner's instead of RNH's, sorry but I've seen more than enough of that movie for one lifetime.

THIS.

oilfaninvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 07:30 PM
StanDarsh

Well if there is skill at attemping to put your team in last he has it. I say 3 more years of him, so we can get some more 1st overalls. Yayy tanking..lol im jk... I say fire him.

StanDarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 07:51 PM
oilersfan11

Here is a interesting blog by Marc Spector.

Tambellini on thin ice.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2012/...ellini_future/

Old
05-19-2012, 08:19 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach and Slater View Post
The only 2 things I can think of is that fans didn't and perhaps still don't see just how bad this franchise was when Lowe was done with it, and the fanatics that just want to go from worst to first instantly don't like that he is patient a methodical.
Think harder because those ideas are both wrong.

Quote:
I judge Tambellini on what he has done since the 2010 trade deadline
Really? That's sure kind of you. I judge him since 2008 when he took over the team.

Quote:
Since 2010, he has done the Whitney deal which it's not Tambellini's fault Whitney has been hurt.
If you're going to throw out the "its not Tamby's fault" defense on things like this (and the Khabibulin signing above) then why not give Lowe the benefit of the doubt and say "its not Lowe's fault that Horc didn't play like a five million dollar first line center"?

Quote:
The Penner deal was a total steal. Shed 4.25 off the cap, got at least a sold bottom pairing d-man, got a 1st round pick (where Stu and Steve picked a kid who could be pretty great), and got another pick in this years draft. Critical people will wanna say "look at Penner now". Great, I like Dustin, but 28 GM's not involved in that trade will still tell you Tambellini won that trade hands down.
Didn't need the cap space so who cares. Lost our leading scorer and a guy we could have used desperately to ride shotgun with some of the kids this past season. Klefbom may pan out and we can all evaluate that later, but for now Lombardi wins that deal .... ask him in two weeks when he's sipping from the SC if he cares about Klefbom. 28 other GMs would agree .

Quote:
On July 1st 2011 who didn't like the job he did?! Honestly, he got great contracts on every UFA he brought in.
You have got to be kidding .

Quote:
Is it Tambellini's fault Eager gets a conky in TC that messes up his season?!? Tambellini's fault Belanger got used horribly?
No no of course not .... Tamby can pick names out of a hat and if they don't work out then oh well , at least we can get another high draft pick . And the fans will say "its not his fault".

Quote:
People wanna point endlessly to minutes played, it's comical. Yes Tom Gilbert has the ability to play in any situation. Too bad he can't play well in any situation. Schultz meanwhile has a similar contract, a lot more experience, is great defensively, and is a guy who was adored by his teammates in Minny.
Comical is right, but somehow I don't think we're laughing at the same thing.

Quote:
EVERYONE was on board for a full on rebuild
False.

Quote:
Since then he has stuck to the plan and hasn't made a bad move.
Laughable.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 08:51 PM
speeds

Quote:
It might be unlikely, but I wouldn't write it off as impossible.

Things can go bad, injuries, if they are unable (for whatever reason) to upgrade the D or add any quality forwards, play Khabibulin 40+ games and he has a year like 10/11, etc. I wouldn't be counting on all of those things going wrong, but you never know, to suggest it impossible that a team that has finished 30th, 30th, and 29th the last 3 years might possibly finish in the bottom 3 doesn't seem like the craziest thing I've ever heard. Especially before we see what moves are made this summer to improve the squad.

Last edited by speeds: 05-19-2012 at 08:59 PM.
speeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 08:52 PM
Asher

Quote:
We'll see what they do with the roster this summer. Unless they make significant improvements with trades/free agency I'll predict a bottom 5 finish next year.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 09:00 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 2394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
Why would you tell another poster that you "haven't read a word" of what they wrote, but then reply to them? Are you confused as to what the purpose of a discussion forum is?

Nice to see the "you have an agenda" chestnut tacked on the end there.
Speaking of having agendas...

Still think that Grebby for a 2nd was a panic move?

GreatKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 09:11 PM
April Ethereal
Eternal rains...

vCash: 907
Yes, absolutely. If I don't do my job, I get fired. He should be no different.

April Ethereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
Speaking of having agendas...

Still think that Grebby for a 2nd was a panic move?
"You have an agenda" is now the official HFOil cliché.

Grebeshkov? Wow, a bit of ancient history, eh. I guess it was a great move in hindsight, wasn't it? Trading him so we could make space for all those tremendously effective NHL defenseman we've had in the last few years?

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 10:15 PM
misfit

Quote:
Dudley aquired elite talent with the Thrashers as well, but you can't build a good team on top draft picks alone. And, like Dudley, Tambellini hasn't shown he's capable of improving this team in any other way aside from the picks he aquired as a result of his team being terrible.

Quote:

Cogliano for a 2nd
Staios for a 3rd

The biggest reason our scouting staff is considered strong now is because the prospects they've aquired haven't had a chance to fail yet. Eberle so far has been the only non-#1OV selection of the current scouting staff to have amounted to anything. Lander and Hartikainen have played a handfull of games, but neither have proven a thing yet. While you can say that it's too early to write them off, it's equally as true to consider them a success at this stage.

It wasn't that long ago that the majority of posters here felt we were set for the future because our prospect pool consisted of guys like Cogliano, Nilsson, Schremp, Pouliot, and Chorney.

Either way, the fact still remains that out of all the moves Tambellini has made, pretty much only the ones that can be considered good ones see NHL players leave for picks and prospects. And the only reason those moves look good is because picks and prospects are more often than not considered future stars until they prove otherwise.

05-20-2012, 01:40 AM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
It is way to early to be making bets on where this team is going to finish next year.Wait until September when we actually know what the team is going to look like.
I don't need to wait, WE WILL BE BETTER THAN 27TH NEXT YEAR, BOOK IT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Not exactly going out on a line there.

If we're anywhere near being a lottery club this far into our rebuild we're in trouble.
I expect a finish where we'll draft between 8th and 12th next year. That IMO would be a nice finish, we get yet another good draft pick and we make strides towards being a playoff team the following season. That said that might not be a popular opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
You probably would have tried to make that bet at this time last year too. Here's something for you to think about, Tambellini has been so bad that he has done something no team has done in the last 20 years by picking first overall 3 times in a row, and the kicker is he has no excuse. At least with Pittsburgh and Chicago they had ownership troubles to fall back on. Also for all the years of suck how many championships has Pittsburgh won with the top two players in the world? How about Chicago? Atlanta? Colorado? Washington? Tampa? Sucking for 3 straight years doesn't guarantee you a dynasty team like many on this board seem to think it will. To me a good GM is one who can rebuild and stay competitive like Detroit, PHI, and NJ have done. So that's why I think it's time for new blood in the front office. Someone who will take action and make things happen instead of waiting for things to happen like Tambellini who IMO is probably the worst GM since Milbury. He might even be worse but who knows he hasn't made enough significant trades to judge him.
I expected us to draft top 5ish this last year, I expect us to draft 8th-12th next year with an outside shot of making the postseason. Besides Atlanta those other teams have done pretty damn well for themselves. How would things be different for Pittsburgh if Crosby never had concussion issues? No one ever said that these 3 picks guarantees a dynasty club, there is still a lot of work to be done, however it is a HELL OF A LOT HARDER to add guys like Eberle, Hall, RNH, and Yakupov via FA or trade than it is secondary players and role players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the doctor View Post
That's the expectation? The Oilers won't finish bottom 3? Step out man, call for the playoffs, Lowe assembled that awesome world champion team, surely you should expect more?
I expect improvement next year, but I don't expect the playoffs until the '13-14 season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeds View Post
It might be unlikely, but I wouldn't write it off as impossible.

Things can go bad, injuries, if they are unable (for whatever reason) to upgrade the D or add any quality forwards, play Khabibulin 40+ games and he has a year like 10/11, etc. I wouldn't be counting on all of those things going wrong, but you never know, to suggest it impossible that a team that has finished 30th, 30th, and 29th the last 3 years might possibly finish in the bottom 3 doesn't seem like the craziest thing I've ever heard. Especially before we see what moves are made this summer to improve the squad.
Things can go awry for sure, but unless we get hit with injuries and massive ones to our core we will be better than 3rd overall, no doubt in my mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
We'll see what they do with the roster this summer. Unless they make significant improvements with trades/free agency I'll predict a bottom 5 finish next year.
5th last next year IMO would be a failure for the organization and it would warrant Tambo getting the axe, as I've said above I expect us to be better than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
Dudley aquired elite talent with the Thrashers as well, but you can't build a good team on top draft picks alone. And, like Dudley, Tambellini hasn't shown he's capable of improving this team in any other way aside from the picks he aquired as a result of his team being terrible.
Where I seem to differ with a number of posters on here is that I see the rebuild as a 3 stage process. Stage 1 is build the core through the draft, that IMO ends this year unless we luck out with a Skinner-esque talent beyond the high lottery. Stage 2 which IMO has just begun is where we make some moves to start addressing long term needs. If Tambo fails at this phase this year then he needs to go. IMO he was great at Stage 1 and as such secured 3 elite talents for this club moving forward. But if he fails at Stage 2 then we need another GM to take the reigns, where we differ is that you believe that Stage 2 should've been started already, IMO it's right on schedule.

Quote:
The biggest reason our scouting staff is considered strong now is because the prospects they've aquired haven't had a chance to fail yet. Eberle so far has been the only non-#1OV selection of the current scouting staff to have amounted to anything. Lander and Hartikainen have played a handfull of games, but neither have proven a thing yet. While you can say that it's too early to write them off, it's equally as true to consider them a success at this stage.

It wasn't that long ago that the majority of posters here felt we were set for the future because our prospect pool consisted of guys like Cogliano, Nilsson, Schremp, Pouliot, and Chorney.

Either way, the fact still remains that out of all the moves Tambellini has made, pretty much only the ones that can be considered good ones see NHL players leave for picks and prospects. And the only reason those moves look good is because picks and prospects are more often than not considered future stars until they prove otherwise.
Eberle is one hell of a pick no matter how you slice it, a high lottery talent that was gotten in the 20's. While I agree that it is early to make calls on many of our picks, the fact of the matter is that Tambo has given Stu so many bullets that even an average scouting staff would be able to turn a number of those picks into solid players. So unless it is your belief that Stu and his staff are below average, I wouldn't worry too much about our drafting just yet.

It is a rebuild, we needed to boost depth throughout the organization, our Calder Cup contending AHL squad is proof of that. Tambo has been building towards the future, that is why he moved roster bodies for picks, that and to free up long term cap space to keep out elite talent here. IMO Tambo has made more good trades than bad, the worst bar none was the Cole for O'Sullivan trade. The rest I can live with from what I recall.

Bryanbryoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 01:55 AM
oilersfan11

Quote:
[B]I don't need to wait, WE WILL BE BETTER THAN 27TH NEXT YEAR, BOOK IT![/B]

I expect a finish where we'll draft between 8th and 12th next year. That IMO would be a nice finish, we get yet another good draft pick and we make strides towards being a playoff team the following season. That said that might not be a popular opinion.

I expected us to draft top 5ish this last year, I expect us to draft 8th-12th next year with an outside shot of making the postseason. Besides Atlanta those other teams have done pretty damn well for themselves. How would things be different for Pittsburgh if Crosby never had concussion issues? No one ever said that these 3 picks guarantees a dynasty club, there is still a lot of work to be done, however it is a HELL OF A LOT HARDER to add guys like Eberle, Hall, RNH, and Yakupov via FA or trade than it is secondary players and role players.

I expect improvement next year, but I don't expect the playoffs until the '13-14 season.

Things can go awry for sure, but unless we get hit with injuries and massive ones to our core we will be better than 3rd overall, no doubt in my mind.

5th last next year IMO would be a failure for the organization and it would warrant Tambo getting the axe, as I've said above I expect us to be better than that.

Where I seem to differ with a number of posters on here is that I see the rebuild as a 3 stage process. Stage 1 is build the core through the draft, that IMO ends this year unless we luck out with a Skinner-esque talent beyond the high lottery. Stage 2 which IMO has just begun is where we make some moves to start addressing long term needs. If Tambo fails at this phase this year then he needs to go. IMO he was great at Stage 1 and as such secured 3 elite talents for this club moving forward. But if he fails at Stage 2 then we need another GM to take the reigns, where we differ is that you believe that Stage 2 should've been started already, IMO it's right on schedule.

Eberle is one hell of a pick no matter how you slice it, a high lottery talent that was gotten in the 20's. While I agree that it is early to make calls on many of our picks, the fact of the matter is that Tambo has given Stu so many bullets that even an average scouting staff would be able to turn a number of those picks into solid players. So unless it is your belief that Stu and his staff are below average, I wouldn't worry too much about our drafting just yet.

It is a rebuild, we needed to boost depth throughout the organization, our Calder Cup contending AHL squad is proof of that. Tambo has been building towards the future, that is why he moved roster bodies for picks, that and to free up long term cap space to keep out elite talent here. IMO Tambo has made more good trades than bad, the worst bar none was the Cole for O'Sullivan trade. The rest I can live with from what I recall.

I hope your right,because I've heard this every year and the result was they were always wrong.

1st year-No way we are bad enough to land first overall -Jump the shark
Result first overall Hall

2nd year-The Oilers will be a much better team and finish higher
Result first overall Hopkins

3rd year-Bank on it that the Oilers wil be in the playoffs
Result first overall Yakupov

Old
05-20-2012, 02:12 AM
Paralyzer008

Credit of current team:

Tambo means Tambellini gets credit for the move
MacG means MacGregor gets credit for the move
Lowe means Lowe gets credit for the move
Negative credit means it is not a good move or it's a questionable move or questionable contract.
None means fate gets credit for the move (Smyth demanded to come here, 1st overall picks aren't really hard to pick etc.)
Other means someone who is not present in the org gets credit (Prendergast)

Hall (none) - Horcoff (Lowe)- Eberle (MacG)
Smyth (none) - RNH (none) - Hemsky (Tambo)
Hartilkainen (MacG) - Gagner (Other) - Jones (Tambo)
Eager (Tambo) - Belanger (Tambo) - Petrell (Tambo)

Whitney (Tambo) - Petry (Other)
Smid (Lowe) - Schultz (Tambo)
Potter (Tambo) - Peckham (Other)
Sutton (Tambo) - Barker (Tambo)

Dubnyk (Other)
Khabibulin (For the most part, Tambo but sometimes just Tambo)

What does this show us? It shows us Tambellini has really only done work on the bottom six and the defense of the team, both of which have been weak points for us. He has one more year and then I think he should be fired unless we make some really good moves this summer or we make the playoffs. Tambo, like Renney, is the "tweener" guy for the real GM.

Paralyzer008 is offline   Reply With Quote