HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Should Tambellini be fired?

View Poll Results: Should Tambo be let go
Yes 118 54.38%
No 28 12.90%
Not sure 9 4.15%
give him another year or two 62 28.57%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Old
05-20-2012, 02:54 PM
oilersfan11

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixs35 View Post
Would Hemsky sign a 1yr deal? When they signed Hemsky did the Oilers own the 1st OV pick? Did trading Penner make us a better team? What is this teams biggest need now in the top 6? Lots of hindsight in your comment.

What got me so mad was how early Tambo signed Hemsky.Trading Penner was the better move,because when he was here he played like a player who is 5'9 and 180 pounds and not 6'4 245 pounds.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 02:58 PM
oilersfan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayuri View Post
According to you. If Hemsky has a great season the situation looks a lot different. I think management made the decision that it was worth giving him another shot to see what he could look like when this team is ready. Doesn't make any sense to look outside your home for answers when you haven't fully explored everything within. Fact is last time this team played meaningful games Hemsky was very good, it's a good decision to wait and see if he can be that again. Especially with his value down.

When the Oilers are ready to compete for the cup, Ales Hemsky could be already 32-34 years old.

oilersfan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 03:02 PM
dixs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersfan11 View Post
What got me so mad was how early Tambo signed Hemsky.Trading Penner was the better move,because when he was here he played like a player who is 5'9 and 180 pounds and not 6'4 245 pounds.
IMO Tambellini did the same thing Rutherford did with Ruutu. Was there going to be better options available via UFA? If not why let him walk. Penner for all his faults created space for skilled players, scored goals and stood up for his teammates.

dixs35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 03:12 PM
Bryanbryoil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
So now you want to give up the top picks in the draft just when we are getting to the really good draft year? Why not suck another year (not that we can stop it) and pick up a MacKinnon or a Jones? Seems to me that would be much better for the future of the team that finishing out of the playoffs and picking tenth.
A couple of points, a healthy and year older Hall, Eberle, and RNH won't let that happen. A new coach that is worth a damn, won't let that happen. Lastly, no team wants to tank forever, we will have 4 elite talents on this club, that's pretty damn good, adding a 5th would be nice, but if 1 or 2 of them want out because they don't feel that the organization is serious about turning the ship around then it's addition by subtraction. You were one of Nail's biggest proponents from last year, isn't it a good thing that we have the chance to add him to our core?

Quote:
Based on what? Adding another 18yr old? Where's the concern for his development? Who, besides the new coach, is going to lead us out of the wilderness?

Horcoff? Gagner? Hemsky? Dubnyk?

Seems to me we have the same sorry group of losers that have mailed it in for first overall picks the last three years in a row?

Dont forget, weve already extended Potter, so we will get to see him take a regular shift or should I say ****, next year too.
Were you a fan of Renney? A fan of his trotting out the vets every damn chance that he had? Do you feel that he got the best out of his team? I for one don't, I for one believe that a new coach alone, a coach that doesn't come with the stigma of a loser will carry great weight with the club, a coach that won't put up with BS from underachieving veterans whose feelings are hurt because their roles are declining. On top of that I expect there to be a few moves this offseason to improve the club and the addition of Nail (hopefully) should also help our offensive production. Lastly, the kids are tired of losing and I'm sure that they will be working hard to try and turn it around. A healthy Hemsky would also make a big difference for our club.

Quote:
It is silly to make a bet this early in the game.No one knows if the Oilers will get some caliber defenceman during the offseason,which will make this team better .Hence this is why I think it is best to wait until September.
What's the fun in that? I'm willing to lay it out there now and there might be a chance that we make no significant moves other than a new head coach, I'm taking all of the risk here in case we strike out.

Quote:
When the Oilers are ready to compete for the cup, Ales Hemsky could be already 32-34 years old.
Who is to say that he still needs to be here at that point?

05-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Soundwave

I have a feeling Hemsky is going to have a good bounce back season next year if he doesn't get too bent out of shape about playing on the left side now and again.

Soundwave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 03:14 PM
Bryanbryoil

Guys can we cut the personal BS? If you guys can't keep it on hockey then stop the back and forth bickering or I'll do it for you.

Bryanbryoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 03:14 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I have a feeling Hemsky is going to have a good bounce back season next year if he doesn't get too bent out of shape about playing on the left side now and again.
I agree, that would be huge for our club.

Old
05-20-2012, 03:18 PM
Giant Moo

BTW, why is "give him another year or two" an option? Seems that should be subsumed by the "no" option.

Giant Moo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 03:21 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Guys can we cut the personal BS? If you guys can't keep it on hockey then stop the back and forth bickering or I'll do it for you.
ftr I posted my response simultaneous to you posting this. I'll drop it.

Oh, and Tambo should've been fired a month ago. Just to keep it on topic. I've shown my work already.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 03:23 PM
Beerfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5RingsAndABeer View Post
Why do people keep saying that Hemsky was a negative move? He tools discount to stay here. It was a very team friendly move.

Just look at the injury comparables like Connolly, Havlat, and Gaborik
It was a good move if as we have heard he has no ntc or nmc.

Beerfish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 03:25 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
ftr I posted my response simultaneous to you posting this. I'll drop it.
Fair enough, I may as well tidy up to get rid of the whole exchange.

Old
05-20-2012, 03:50 PM
Daneo21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
BTW, why is "give him another year or two" an option? Seems that should be subsumed by the "no" option.
I would say its more of a neutral position... i said give him another year or two because I'm not a complete yes fire him nor a complete no keep him

Im in the middle where its like a yes and no... more like he's on thin ice IMO and really needs to prove something this next year

Daneo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 04:07 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneo21 View Post
I would say its more of a neutral position... i said give him another year or two because I'm not a complete yes fire him nor a complete no keep him

Im in the middle where its like a yes and no... more like he's on thin ice IMO and really needs to prove something this next year
It's not a neutral position, though, because keeping him around means you don't want him to be fired.

It's odd how a GM known for dithering and hedging and being non-commital inspires the same attitude in the fans.

Old
05-20-2012, 04:51 PM
Psycho Dad

vCash: 610
Quote:
It's not a neutral position, though, because keeping him around means you don't want him to be fired.

It's odd how a GM known for dithering and hedging and being non-commital inspires the same attitude in the fans.
Amen to that. A one-or-two year extension is a certain "no" to the poll question, no matter how anyone wants to dress it up.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 04:54 PM
Bryanbryoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermullet View Post
Amen to that. A one-or-two year extension is a certain "yes", no matter how anyone wants to dress it up.
It's a yes for sure, however from my perspective year 1 will determine if he sees year 2 of his contract. If it's business as usual when it is clear that the organization is looking to finally turn the next page then he's out of here in a hurry. There is no reason that he shouldn't be improving this club this offseason, IMO a new coach is a good start but there is much to be done and if he can't cut the mustard then he's gone.

Old
05-20-2012, 05:07 PM
Daneo21

Quote:

I'm looking at the big picture here... Lowe screws team with bad contracts, Tambo is then brought in inheriting said bad team, team is mediocre and chases after free agents for quick fixes till finally coming to the harsh reality that no free agents want to sign here, then commences the rebuild...

IMO this team is still paying for lowes mistakes... Tambo was left in a tough position doing as much as I think he could with our ****** situation... is it his fault no top end free agents wanted to sign here? With the young kids I think it attracts FAs a lot more now than it did 5 years ago

Tambo has had to do nothing for the last 3 years except just ride this **** storm out but again IMO enough is enough at this point and its time to make some changes 1 or 2 more years of Tambo isn't going to kill me because as 1 poster said before Tambo is starting over with a new slate... just a very thin slate

As for Renney, I never did see him as the coach of the future for this team... I for one am glad they chose not to renew him... for me it was the constant questionable decisions, but when Renney played horcoff over 22 min in that one game that really did it for me... vet team or not, no coach in his right mind should give horcoff over 15 min a night

Daneo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:19 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
A couple of points, a healthy and year older Hall, Eberle, and RNH won't let that happen. A new coach that is worth a damn, won't let that happen.

(...)

Were you a fan of Renney? A fan of his trotting out the vets every damn chance that he had? Do you feel that he got the best out of his team? I for one don't,
With this you're basically concluding that everything that was wrong with the team last year was due to coaching. How do you come to that conclusion? Look at the players Tambo brought in to *help* a 30th place club this year. You thought Eager was a solid addition. It seems you've come around on that and now realize he wasn't much of a player anywhere to begin with. Barker was clearly a mistake and frankly with how horrible our D was the season before we weren't in a position to take chances on projects. We let Vandermeer, who would've been serviceable walk. Belanger was the only player Tambo specifically recruited that people think would've helped the team although people really overstated the offensive side of that. We've seen how players in Phoenix get pts and from every veteran line working hard, playing counter, and grinding it out. We don;t have that team, we don't have that personnel.

Quote:
I for one believe that a new coach alone, a coach that doesn't come with the stigma of a loser will carry great weight with the club,
What does this mean? We're rotating coaches in and out and any difference its made is we got WAY worse (like night and day) post Mactavish. Other than sucking for draft picks and keeping us worst in league has this helped?

Quote:
a coach that won't put up with BS from underachieving veterans whose feelings are hurt because their roles are declining.
If you're referring to Horcoff here I understand the comment. If you're adding Smyth to this its not substantiated. Horc is contractually entitled. We know that. But I note we have the same management (Lowe) in place that did that. Horc is also well represented and has been a player rep with the NHLPA so good luck getting an ass kicking coach in here without ramification. WE already have trouble attracting worthwhile players.

Quote:
On top of that I expect there to be a few moves this offseason to improve the club
This was being stated a year ago, and two years ago, and 3yrs ago..

Quote:
and the addition of Nail (hopefully) should also help our offensive production. Lastly, the kids are tired of losing and I'm sure that they will be working hard to try and turn it around. A healthy Hemsky would also make a big difference for our club.
The kids aren't going to be enough even with Nail. I don't expect Eberle to shoot the lights out like he did this year, RNH still suffering growing pains, Hall needs to stay healthy and with his style thats iffy.

Quote:
What's the fun in that? I'm willing to lay it out there now and there might be a chance that we make no significant moves other than a new head coach, I'm taking all of the risk here in case we strike out.

Who is to say that he still needs to be here at that point?
Bottom line is Renney didn't have a competitive lineup and we all knew that from the start. Despite Tambo's annual lies to the contrary to anybody that will listen. It should still bother people how much he was pumping his usual poor recruits.

Old
05-20-2012, 05:41 PM
UnrefinedCrude

vCash: 333
Quote:
With this you're basically concluding that everything that was wrong with the team last year was due to coaching. ...

We're rotating coaches in and out and any difference its made is we got WAY worse (like night and day) post Mactavish. Other than sucking for draft picks and keeping us worst in league has this helped?
I think many people are missing the big picture as far as coaching though.
I agree with BBO that the rebuild is a 3 phase plan. Somewhere after hiring Quinn/Renney that decision was made to go full scorched Earth. Quinn's unwillingness to get on board led to his removal.

But Renney didn't replace him because he was willing to not do his job, and mail it in. He was promoted (IMO,) because upper management had all faith that Renney couldn't coach the team out of the bottom 5 no matter how hard he tried, even by accident.

I hold hope that not extending Renney's contract means they will seek out a winner, and try move beyond acquiring top picks, and get on with the team building phase of the rebuild.

If Tom had been extended I would have taken it as a signal the team had its sights set on the lottery again.

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:16 PM
Moose Coleman

If I had to weigh the two options, I'm not sure i see a real downside for canning Tambo. Even the people who want him around don't seem all that convinced as to his abilities, which should tell you something.

On the other hand, if he's as bad as so many say, keeping him could end up screwing up the whole rebuild.

If they want to get out of the basement, IMO, that means a wholesale change in management. Get the stink out once and for all; there's nothing to lose.

Moose Coleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:21 PM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

I agree with S-Tambs on most of his stuff.
but really....he has done very little of note aside from drafting well and shrewdly putting some pieces in place...I don't know what options are available to him...but making huge deals via trade or FA is something that will come down the road...for now there isn't really much to do but come in last/first. (first)

As interesting as it is to consider trades or how players might improve the squad....I think a large amount of improvement would just be there by "not sucking". Which is bound to happen....probably.

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:36 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrefinedCrude View Post
I think many people are missing the big picture as far as coaching though.
I agree with BBO that the rebuild is a 3 phase plan. Somewhere after hiring Quinn/Renney that decision was made to go full scorched Earth. Quinn's unwillingness to get on board led to his removal.

But Renney didn't replace him because he was willing to not do his job, and mail it in. He was promoted (IMO,) because upper management had all faith that Renney couldn't coach the team out of the bottom 5 no matter how hard he tried, even by accident.I hold hope that not extending Renney's contract means they will seek out a winner, and try move beyond acquiring top picks, and get on with the team building phase of the rebuild.

If Tom had been extended I would have taken it as a signal the team had its sights set on the lottery again.
With all due respect this rationale is pretty much why I think Lowe hired Tambo here as placeholder. The org pretty much convinced he's the perfect foil to deepsix the club which he's done in spades.
We've had multiple coaches. We've had one figurehead GM. With an AWFUL track record through it all.

The simplest deduction has it that the GM position is responsible and requires change. We get clear substantiation of that every offseason and fall. Yet its always next year time as far as management is concerned.

Good job if you can get it.

Old
05-20-2012, 06:40 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
If I had to weigh the two options, I'm not sure i see a real downside for canning Tambo. Even the people who want him around don't seem all that convinced as to his abilities, which should tell you something.

On the other hand, if he's as bad as so many say, keeping him could end up screwing up the whole rebuild.

If they want to get out of the basement, IMO, that means a wholesale change in management. Get the stink out once and for all; there's nothing to lose.
Well of course I'll state the obvious here. It would be impossible for any Manager to do worse than Tambo has done here.

I could imagine Tambo doesn't have a whole lot of credibility in the dressing room what with the annual clowns he brings in here to *help* turn things around.

Old
05-20-2012, 06:51 PM
Harrison

@Replacement: I will bet you the Oilers make the playoffs next year. If you lose you can't post on here for one year and vice versa. Are you game?

Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:26 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
This was being stated a year ago, and two years ago, and 3yrs ago..
This is a key takeaway for not only the thread to which you replied, but also what generally surrounds this team generally.

Year after year after year, this team slides further and further downward, and the same excuses, talking points and hopeful wishes get trotted out.

The organization conditions the fanbase to not only accept failure, but to celebrate it. Any kind of accountability is deferred or deflected away from the people who have the responsibility to create change.

Why exactly does Tambellini need another year, never mind two? "This year, FOR SURE!"... right?

There's a paper to be written here on the ebb and flow of the mass psyche of this fanbase, especially how it's been manipulated since the lockout.

Old
05-20-2012, 07:28 PM
Giant Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
@Replacement: I will bet you the Oilers make the playoffs next year. If you lose you can't post on here for one year and vice versa. Are you game?
And if you lose, you'll just post under a sock puppet?

Meanwhile, the board could lose the sober reflections of a long-time poster?

What a bum deal.