HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

The KHL Impact on World Championships

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2012, 11:13 AM
ozo

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter25 View Post
The KHL has given their NT player a competitive league to play in.
Now tie your point to actual thread title.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:15 AM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

I'd love to see a mini cup tournament of Swedish, Finnish, Swiss and KHL teams playing in the future

like 4 top Finnish teams, 4 top Swedish teams, 4 top Swiss teams and 4 top KHL teams

Old
05-18-2012, 11:16 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by SthlmNYI View Post
The hockey interest a KHL team (or any big league team) can spark locally and nationwide over time can for sure inspire youngsters to pursue their dreams to play hockey on a big stage.
This. I agree with you full-heartedly. But where we stand now - in the off-season of KHL's fifth season, KHL has had no real impact on WC's yet.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:23 AM
ult

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsk92 View Post
I'd love to see a mini cup tournament of Swedish, Finnish, Swiss and KHL teams playing in the future

like 4 top Finnish teams, 4 top Swedish teams, 4 top Swiss teams and 4 top KHL teams
4 top KHL teams? And that's who? There are about 8-10 teams fighting for cup every year. If we are to determine them after this year playoffs, neither Ak Bars nor Salavat will be in top 4 teams, and yet they'll win against any of 4 top Swiss, Swedish or Finnish teams.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:33 AM
vsk92
Alltid IFK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ult View Post
4 top KHL teams? And that's who? There are about 8-10 teams fighting for cup every year. If we are to determine them after this year playoffs, neither Ak Bars nor Salavat will be in top 4 teams, and yet they'll win against any of 4 top Swiss, Swedish or Finnish teams.
who ever are the top 4 teams in the KHL standings at the point of the tournament starting?

Old
05-18-2012, 11:33 AM
FlutteringSaucer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
This. I agree with you full-heartedly. But where we stand now - in the off-season of KHL's fifth season, KHL has had no real impact on WC's yet.
I'm not sure if I'm following you here... But last year's winner Finland had 9 players from FEL, 8 from KHL, 5 from NHL and 3 from SEL. This year we actually have 12 from KHL, 6 from FEL, 4 from NHL and 3 from SEL.

KHL has had a huge impact for Finnish players because there's an option for skilled players who can't break to NHL's top3-top6 but who's talent would be somewhat wasted playing in bottom6 role NHL hockey.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:41 AM
QnebO

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPena View Post

option for skilled players who can't break to NHL's top3-top6 but who's talent would be somewhat wasted playing in bottom6 role NHL hockey.
This, is what KHL is.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:44 AM
slovakiasnextone

Quote:
I'm not sure if I'm following you here... But last year's winner Finland had 9 players from FEL, 8 from KHL, 5 from NHL and 3 from SEL. This year we actually have 12 from KHL, 6 from FEL, 4 from NHL and 3 from SEL.

KHL has had a huge impact for Finnish players because there's an option for skilled players who can't break to NHL's top3-top6 but who's talent would be somewhat wasted playing in bottom6 role NHL hockey.
Except that post was about Latvia not about Finland

It is also a different situation as most of the Latvian players play in the KHL only because of the existence of Dinamo Riga, while the Finnish ones have to be at least some good in order to get a roster spot in the KHL considering the foreigner quotes. Obviously Latvia can have a full KHL team, but just because they get some minutes in the top European league probably won´t automatically make them better than for example a Norwegian team made up of SEL players mostly.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:49 AM
CCCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helo View Post
10 is not small.wtf,stop trolling dude.
Yopu just like the word trolling, don't u? show me one NHL arena for 10K! Dude, the arena in the college that I graduated form was bigger! 10k may not be a small arena if yu compare it to arena in Podolsk, but it is a small arena.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:51 AM
CCCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViD View Post
So you expect the league to be perfect in 3 years? Come on dude, be serious. It's gonna take time to become huge. We should be happy that hockey is not monopolized by NHL anymore
I don't expect it to be perfect at all, not now, not in 3 years, not in 10 years. However, if you read SovSport and Sport-Express, the KHL is at least as good as the NHL, and very soon will be better. Kinda reminds me of Ostap Bender and New Vasyuki.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:52 AM
FlutteringSaucer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCP View Post
Yopu just like the word trolling, don't u? show me one NHL arena for 10K! Dude, the arena in the college that I graduated form was bigger! 10k may not be a small arena if yu compare it to arena in Podolsk, but it is a small arena.
Not as big as NHL arenas = small?

Old
05-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Wondercarrot
Classless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korolyuk15 View Post
...it is easy to see by the level of negativity that people are worried about the KHL challenging the NHL as being the best league in the world
lol
the only people here who would even spend 3 seconds caring about the KHL are owners who may lose a player here or there, and they adjust by taking virtually no russians in the draft. (well with the exception of the really good ones who almost universally prefer the NHL and North American quality of life)
i can guarantee you there are no fans of the NHL who give the KHL a second though other than when some not good enough/lazy/not willing to work for it player jumps contract and screws their hometown team. (or the one or two who genuinely want to stay in russia to play)
Outside of that the KHL is 100% irrelevant with respect to how North Amercians view the league in its overall quality of play, overall quality of players, overall quality of facilities, overall quality of travel and overall quality of life.

you are welcome to it, best of luck.
just dont expect anyone to care about it on this side of the pond.
im already bored of this conversation and its only taken a couple of minutes.

Old
Animus

Quote:
Oh, of course ther eis nothing wrong with wanting to make more money, I absolutely agree with that. Ask yourself this question: how many players would come to the KHL for the same money they would be making in NHL? I don't think too many of them would, do u?
Actually this was a very bad question to ask in your argument. If I am correct, the money that a KHL team could offer would be NON-TAXABLE compared to an NHL team that would be taxable. If you want an example take Jiri Hudler from 2 years ago OR Evgeny Kuznetsov (though I think he wanted to stay in the KHL cause of his family).

Also, a lot of NHL teams want these players coming from oversea's to play in the AHL first before joining the NHL...most of the players currently in the KHL see the AHL as more of a fighting league where you have to always protect yourself (another reason Kuznetsov doesn't want to come over).

Old
Hockeyfrilla

Finns in NHL is rapidly decreasing, more and more going to KHL. Interesting.

Old
CCCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ult View Post
For 2012/13 season
Dynamo Minsk (15500), CSKA (14500), Lev (14000), SKA (12300), Dinamo Riga (10300), Avangard (10300), Slovan (10000).

In the a 5 years.
Dynamo Moscow (15000 U/C), Lev (17500 I believe that they will move to o2 ) CSKA (20000 proposed), Tyumen (13600 proposed) Sochi (12000 U/C), Nizhni Novgorod (16000 proposed), Novokuznetsk (10000-12000 proposed), Spartak (will build their new arena or will move to megasport for 14000 or 20000 galactica), Astana (12000-15000 proposed), Avtomobilist (15000 proposed), Donetsk (15000 proposed), Chelyabinsk (15000)

That makes it plenty of arenas for more than 10 000 seats. And 10k isn't small, when the biggest arena is 20k.
No, no, no, that makes it plenty of proposed arenas. 10K is small.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:54 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

standing regular season (eng)

Old
05-18-2012, 11:57 AM
CCCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Actually this was a very bad question to ask in your argument. If I am correct, the money that a KHL team could offer would be NON-TAXABLE compared to an NHL team that would be taxable. If you want an example take Jiri Hudler from 2 years ago OR Evgeny Kuznetsov (though I think he wanted to stay in the KHL cause of his family).

Also, a lot of NHL teams want these players coming from oversea's to play in the AHL first before joining the NHL...most of the players currently in the KHL see the AHL as more of a fighting league where you have to always protect yourself (another reason Kuznetsov doesn't want to come over).
i think it was a very good question to ask. they all go over there for money, plain and simple. and if I was running Gazprom, i would'nt really care if I pay Jagr 12+ mil/per tax free.

Old
LOFIN

Quote:
Put things in a perspective will ya? All the NHL teams are from HUGE metropolitan areas, thus they can have huge arenas for huge crowds. For an example, Lukko (SM-Liiga) from Rauma plays in an arena that holds 5400 people, but that's not a surprise as Rauma has a population of under 40 000 and the density is around 200/sq mile.

Old
ult

Quote:
No, no, no, that makes it plenty of proposed arenas. 10K is small.
20k is nothing compared to 60-80000 seat football stadiums. So duh, maybe you chose the wrong sport.

Old
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:

IMO you would have Aaltonen as well if healthy. The same Czechs and Cervenka. For example slovak goalie Laco (HC LEV) is nice addition to NT. Would he be so good if playing slovak league?? He was 2nd in shutouts in KHL if I remember.

Old
05-18-2012, 12:00 PM
CCCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOFIN View Post
Put things in a perspective will ya? All the NHL teams are from HUGE metropolitan areas, thus they can have huge arenas for huge crowds. For an example, Lukko (SM-Liiga) from Rauma plays in an arena that holds 5400 people, but that's not a surprise as Rauma has a population of under 40 000 and the density is around 200/sq mile.
Ok, but I don't hear/read finnish League saying how awesome they are and how very very soon they will be the best in the world. KHL does that all the time, and to me it's a joke.

Old
05-18-2012, 12:00 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
I don't expect it to be perfect at all, not now, not in 3 years, not in 10 years. However, if you read SovSport and Sport-Express, the KHL is at least as good as the NHL, and very soon will be better. Kinda reminds me of Ostap Bender and New Vasyuki.
I would say your languare skills (russian) are not good enought if you think this

Old
05-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Sens91

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOFIN View Post
Canadian coming in peace lol,

Canadian markets aren't that big, and they sell out virtually every game. You Finnish guys think that if guys like Selanne, Pitkanen, Ruutu, etc. were available that all these KHL guys would be chosen over them? You are fooling yourself.

Old
LSnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfrilla View Post
Finns in NHL is rapidly decreasing, more and more going to KHL. Interesting.
What people dont consider is khl is much bigger enemy for fel than nhl.. If finnish/slovak/swedish etc player has amazing season in fel, they bolt to khl next season..

Old
FlutteringSaucer

Quote:
Ok, but I don't hear/read finnish League saying how awesome they are and how very very soon they will be the best in the world. KHL does that all the time, and to me it's a joke.
That's just a counter-reaction to american consensus that ALL the best players in the world are playing in NHL.

Closed Thread