HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XII

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2012, 09:33 AM
Langway
Intangibles

vCash: 500
Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XII

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1174467

Old
05-18-2012, 09:42 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

By "they" I meant the Blackhawks. There is no way they do that. I wouldn't mind Hjalmarsson, but if Laich is moved I'd like to see a package involving him and a pick for a better player.

Old
05-18-2012, 09:58 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G;
So what if the team has $20M in cap space? $22M would be even better. An extra $2M could be the difference, or help bridge the difference, between Jokinen and Parise. Which combination would you rather see? Parise + $2M #3C or Laich + Jokinen?
Go ahead and lay out to me a scenario in which that'd happen, and I might buy it. The point is, Laich's salary doesn't handicap the team.

Laich is so far from being one of the major problems with team. It's comical how much flak he gets.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:00 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation;
So you don't find this appealing?

Ovi-Backstrom-Brouwer
Radulov-MoJo-Semin

An appealing top two lines if you ask me.
Not in the slightest. That second line wouldn't even attempt to get between and below the dots.

Last edited by NobodyBeatsTheWiz: 05-18-2012 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Edit: would =>wouldn't. Yeah, that makes a big difference.
Old
05-18-2012, 10:05 AM
EHCler

Actually as winger i would not mind to brind Penner in if he is available for a reasonable contract of around 3 to 3,5 per year.

He is getting his game back and is a solid post season performer who actually plays hard honest hockey.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:07 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EHCler View Post
Actually as winger i would not mind to brind Penner in if he is available for a reasonable contract of around 3 to 3,5 per year.

He is getting his game back and is a solid post season performer who actually plays hard honest hockey.
We have Penner already. His name is Brouwer.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:09 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Proteau's inclusion of Wideman at #3 makes it pretty hard for me to trust his opinion.

FWIW (which isn't much), this would be my list (excluding Lidstrom, Selanne, and Broder, as he did:

1. Ryan Suter
2 Zach Parise
3. Shane Doan
4. Brad Stuart
5. Alexander Semin
6. Olli Jokinen
7. Barret Jackman
8. Chris Kelly
9. Jiri Hudler
10. Matt Carle

HM: Whitney, Garrison, Kuba, Samuelsson, Stoll

Old
05-18-2012, 10:15 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Go ahead and lay out to me a scenario in which that'd happen, and I might buy it. The point is, Laich's salary doesn't handicap the team.

Laich is so far from being one of the major problems with team. It's comical how much flak he gets.
I'm no good at trades and such or putting values on free agents, but if Laich holds as much esteem around the league as he apparently goes with McPhee and some around here, then I'm sure he should net a decent return. Find out which of the names being bandied about as a 3C would sign for around $2M or so. Sign Parise.

They'll probably be spending more money, but that's what the cap space can be used for. IMO, they'll have guys much better suited (and as a result, paid) for those roles.

The odds of that happening though are pretty much nil, so it's nothing more than a thought exercise at this point. Just thinking out loud how to find the right player for each role as opposed to jamming what is currently on the roster into an available opening.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:16 AM
MW6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
By "they" I meant the Blackhawks. There is no way they do that. I wouldn't mind Hjalmarsson, but if Laich is moved I'd like to see a package involving him and a pick for a better player.
I guess the deal would need some tweaking, and I can see us adding if it were to come through.

IMO Laich is a superior player to Bolland, but not when you look at value from their contracts. I rather have Bolland as 3C at 3,375M than Laich at 4,5M. That extra million+ could be better spent elsewhere. And shredding Schultz contract and getting a serviceable #4 in the same deal is worth losing the little edge Laich has over Bolland.

If Laich is put back as 2LW I think it's a different story though. He has more value, IMO, to this team at that position than as 2/3C where he's either not good enough/overpaid.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:17 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I don't think we should he pencilling Marcus in the center slot.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:20 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

IMO Laich is a good player, but a bad fit.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:31 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
I'm no good at trades and such or putting values on free agents, but if Laich holds as much esteem around the league as he apparently goes with McPhee and some around here, then I'm sure he should net a decent return. Find out which of the names being bandied about as a 3C would sign for around $2M or so. Sign Parise.

They'll probably be spending more money, but that's what the cap space can be used for. IMO, they'll have guys much better suited (and as a result, paid) for those roles.

The odds of that happening though are pretty much nil, so it's nothing more than a thought exercise at this point. Just thinking out loud how to find the right player for each role as opposed to jamming what is currently on the roster into an available opening.
The thing is though, the Caps have so much cap space that it's hard to even set forth a scenario where Laich's hit would be prohibitive. Schultz and Ward should be moved for a similar (if not greater) savings if it comes to that.

To emphasize my point, with the expected $69M cap ceiling next season, look at this roster:

FORWARDS
Alex Ovechkin ($9.538m) / Nicklas Backstrom ($6.700m) / Marcus Johansson ($0.900m)
Brooks Laich ($4.500m) / Olli Jokinen ($3.000m) / Zach Parise ($7.500m)
Jason Chimera ($1.750m) / Paul Gaustad ($2.500m) / Troy Brouwer ($2.350m)
Matt Hendricks ($0.825m) / Jay Beagle ($0.750m) / Joel Ward ($3.000m)
Mathieu Perreault ($1.000m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($7.500m) / Mike Green ($5.000m)
Karl Alzner ($1.285m) / John Carlson ($3.500m)
Roman Hamrlik ($3.500m) / Dmitry Orlov ($0.900m)
John Erskine ($1.500m) /
GOALTENDERS
Michal Neuvirth ($1.150m)
Braden Holtby ($0.638m)
BUYOUTS
Tyler Sloan ($0.233m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,519,572; BONUSES: $240,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster):- $519,572

In my estimation, that's signing the top 2 UFAs this summer, plus another one of the top 10 in Jokinen, and a very good 3C. All it would take is moving Schultz out without taking salary back, and an additional half-million savings somewhere--could be Erskine, or it could be the huge savings potential of substituting Ward for a <$1M 4th line plugger. Again, it's really difficult to come up with a realistic scenario where Laich's cap hit would be prohibitive.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:43 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Caps are going to have to throw out monster career contracts to land Parise and Suter. As much as I'd love to believe in the fantasy, not happening.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:44 AM
MW6

Quote:
The thing is though, the Caps have so much cap space that it's hard to even set forth a scenario where Laich's hit would be prohibitive. Schultz and Ward should be moved for a similar (if not greater) savings if it comes to that.

To emphasize my point, with the expected $69M cap ceiling next season, look at this roster:

FORWARDS
Alex Ovechkin ($9.538m) / Nicklas Backstrom ($6.700m) / Marcus Johansson ($0.900m)
Brooks Laich ($4.500m) / Olli Jokinen ($3.000m) / Zach Parise ($7.500m)
Jason Chimera ($1.750m) / Paul Gaustad ($2.500m) / Troy Brouwer ($2.350m)
Matt Hendricks ($0.825m) / Jay Beagle ($0.750m) / Joel Ward ($3.000m)
Mathieu Perreault ($1.000m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($7.500m) / Mike Green ($5.000m)
Karl Alzner ($1.285m) / John Carlson ($3.500m)
Roman Hamrlik ($3.500m) / Dmitry Orlov ($0.900m)
John Erskine ($1.500m) /
GOALTENDERS
Michal Neuvirth ($1.150m)
Braden Holtby ($0.638m)
BUYOUTS
Tyler Sloan ($0.233m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,519,572; BONUSES: $240,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster):- $519,572

In my estimation, that's signing the top 2 UFAs this summer, plus another one of the top 10 in Jokinen, and a very good 3C. All it would take is moving Schultz out without taking salary back, and an additional half-million savings somewhere--could be Erskine, or it could be the huge savings potential of substituting Ward for a <$1M 4th line plugger. Again, it's really difficult to come up with a realistic scenario where Laich's cap hit would be prohibitive.
The problem with this scenario is that, the year after the one you're illustating is that Brouwer, MoJo, Alzner, Hendricks, Holtby and Neuvirth are going to need different size raises and only Hamrlik and Erskine come off the books.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:45 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW6 View Post
The problem with this scenario is that, the year after the one you're illustating is that Brouwer, MoJo, Alzner, Hendricks, Holtby and Neuvirth are going to need different size raises and only Hamrlik and Erskine come off the books.
That's what happens with teams that spend to the cap ceiling. You deal with that scenario when you come to it.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:46 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Brouwer are going to need different size raises.
2.3 doesn't seem fair for a 33 pt forward?

Old
05-18-2012, 10:46 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Caps are going to have to throw out monster career contracts to land Parise and Suter. As much as I'd love to believe in the fantasy, not happening.
It's not a projection. It was proving a point.

I do think they could get one of them.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:49 AM
MW6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
You already know he's going to score 33 pts next year?

Old
05-18-2012, 10:49 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
With the cap going up, I expect that number to go up as well. He's also made himself a leader on this team in his first season. That in itself isn't worth a huge overpayment, but it's definitely worth making sure he sticks.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:51 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Sure they COULD get one of them, but it goes against everything Leonsis and McPhee have ever said since the lockout and top free agents.

I would love Parise or Suter, but I just don't believe the Caps go that route. We'll probably hear that they made an offer that was no where near to what each guy will likely sign for. Chara scenario anyone?

Old
05-18-2012, 10:52 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
I'd like to see him work on his hands like Chimera did. If he becomes even a slightly better finisher/passer, he could put up 50 points.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:53 AM
MW6

Quote:
That's what happens with teams that spend to the cap ceiling. You deal with that scenario when you come to it.
Yes, but I think you have to be pro-active, because other GM's can force your hand when you're in "cap-hell" i.e. Blackhawks a couple years ago with Ladd and Byfuglien etc. They got bailed out by Tallon taking Campbell of their hands.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:55 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
That's kinda what he is. It's not like this year was a huge drop off in production for the guy.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:56 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Yes, but I think you have to be pro-active, because other GM's can force your hand when you're in "cap-hell" i.e. Blackhawks a couple years ago with Ladd and Byfuglien etc. They got bailed out by Tallon taking Campbell of their hands.
I'll trade 'cap-hell' for a Cup every time.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:01 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
That was kind of karmic as Tallon put them in that mess in the first place for screwing up the rfa deals.

Closed Thread