HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XII

Closed Thread

Old
05-18-2012, 11:05 AM
MW6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
That's kinda what he is. It's not like this year was a huge drop off in production for the guy.
I'm sure he'll get a 1M more if he gets 10 more pts next season which is far from unlikely. Just look at Chimera, hadn't he signed his contract as early as he did he'd be looking at Ward-$.

Brouwer isn't even a RFA after this contract, he becomes unrestricted. So I hope they lock him up early. He brings a lot of other intangibles to this team that's been lacking in the past.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:07 AM
MW6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
That was kind of karmic as Tallon put them in that mess in the first place for screwing up the rfa deals.
Hehe, indeed it was

Old
05-18-2012, 11:48 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
The thing is though, the Caps have so much cap space that it's hard to even set forth a scenario where Laich's hit would be prohibitive. Schultz and Ward should be moved for a similar (if not greater) savings if it comes to that.

To emphasize my point, with the expected $69M cap ceiling next season, look at this roster:

<snip to save space>

In my estimation, that's signing the top 2 UFAs this summer, plus another one of the top 10 in Jokinen, and a very good 3C. All it would take is moving Schultz out without taking salary back, and an additional half-million savings somewhere--could be Erskine, or it could be the huge savings potential of substituting Ward for a <$1M 4th line plugger. Again, it's really difficult to come up with a realistic scenario where Laich's cap hit would be prohibitive.
Just because his salary fits into that roster, doesn't mean that he's neccessarily a good fit there. I realize that it is pretty much impossible to build a perfect roster, but that one has it share of drawbacks.

I like Mojo as much as the next guy, but he was where plays went to die in the playoffs. I'm hoping he's better next year, but I have a hard time penciling him in full time on the top line. I thought he looked decent during the regular season with Ovi, but that line really doesn't have any net presence. On top of that, it is only a 22 man roster and by being that close to the salary cap you don't really have much space for a call-up and you're not banking much room for deadline acquisitions.

I think that roster as-is look pretty good. I just believe it has a chance to look even better.

Old
05-18-2012, 01:19 PM
MD Moose

Does anyone know if the organization even has any interest in trying to get
Parise?

And on Ovechkin, I just have to say that if he's going to be pulling in 9.5 mil next season, something has to be done. He's clearly shown now for some time that he is not worth that. I like Ovi and would like to see him here, but if that's what he'll make, he's way overpaid.

Old
05-18-2012, 02:29 PM
Kazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Moose View Post
Parise?

And on Ovechkin, I just have to say that if he's going to be pulling in 9.5 mil next season, something has to be done. He's clearly shown now for some time that he is not worth that. I like Ovi and would like to see him here, but if that's what he'll make, he's way overpaid.
That's what his cap hit will be, barring any changes from the new CBA, until 2020-2021.

And yes, he's very overpaid based on his production the last two seasons. Although to be fair, I would probably say based on his production this past season he should be around 7 million, meaning he's about as overpaid as Joel Ward.

Old
05-18-2012, 03:14 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

I would make a trade for Suter's rights.
Just to make a point Capitals are serious about their business.
It could give some bonuses later.

And if we can sign Ryan - then it's all good from there. We have enough minor picks to land his rights.

I would play MJ at 3rd line this upcoming season. This will let him work on his game/physicality and will lower the point total for 2nd contract. Lots of faceoffs, lots of PK. If McPhee is signing some Stoll instead for #3C role... it could be 2-3M more than MJ => overpaid 3C and weak top-6 forward.

I would also trade Laich + #16 for Plekanec. Just a better fit overall. If we are signing 2C (in the form of Jokinen?!) - then Laich 2LW for sure.

Old
05-18-2012, 03:21 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Parise?

The way Ovechkin was playing towards the end of the season was Ovechkin, the rest was BB and Hunter telling him how to play. Hunter even talked about how great it was that he could predict what Beagle would do and Ovechkin was so unpredictable in his play and that was a bad thing even though he finished off the season with 11 goals in 13 games.

Ovechkins play against Norway was way different then he ever played against the Bruins or Rangers. So it sure as hell wasn't Ovechkin.

Old
05-18-2012, 03:47 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
The way Ovechkin was playing towards the end of the season was Ovechkin, the rest was BB and Hunter telling him how to play. Hunter even talked about how great it was that he could predict what Beagle would do and Ovechkin was so unpredictable in his play and that was a bad thing even though he finished off the season with 11 goals in 13 games.

Ovechkins play against Norway was way different then he ever played against the Bruins or Rangers. So it sure as hell wasn't Ovechkin.
I don't buy that argument.

It was the opposition that was different and the style of hockey that was different and the ice rink size that was different that did benefit Ovechkin to some degree.

How often have the Norwegians played against Ovechkin whereas how often had the Rangers and Bruins played against him. No way the Norwegian defenders are as good as the likes of Girardi/McDonaugh or Charra and Seidenberg and no way do the Norwegians have a book on Ovechkin like most NHL teams do.

Additionally the style of hockey played in international games compared to that of NHL playoff games are much different and the rinks are larger.

Old
05-18-2012, 03:47 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Parise?

Presumably Parise was the guy they wanted in '03 (taken one spot before they were up), so you'd think there's interest in the player.

But very doubtful they end up the high bidder even if they do have legit interest in him as a UFA.

Old
05-18-2012, 04:26 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

I have a strong feeling that Parise will resign with NJ. Why the hell not?

Old
05-18-2012, 04:46 PM
um

Quote:
The thing is though, the Caps have so much cap space that it's hard to even set forth a scenario where Laich's hit would be prohibitive. Schultz and Ward should be moved for a similar (if not greater) savings if it comes to that.

To emphasize my point, with the expected $69M cap ceiling next season, look at this roster:

FORWARDS
Alex Ovechkin ($9.538m) / Nicklas Backstrom ($6.700m) / Marcus Johansson ($0.900m)
Brooks Laich ($4.500m) / Olli Jokinen ($3.000m) / Zach Parise ($7.500m)
Jason Chimera ($1.750m) / Paul Gaustad ($2.500m) / Troy Brouwer ($2.350m)
Matt Hendricks ($0.825m) / Jay Beagle ($0.750m) / Joel Ward ($3.000m)
Mathieu Perreault ($1.000m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Ryan Suter ($7.500m) / Mike Green ($5.000m)
Karl Alzner ($1.285m) / John Carlson ($3.500m)
Roman Hamrlik ($3.500m) / Dmitry Orlov ($0.900m)
John Erskine ($1.500m) /
GOALTENDERS
Michal Neuvirth ($1.150m)
Braden Holtby ($0.638m)
BUYOUTS
Tyler Sloan ($0.233m)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $69,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $69,519,572; BONUSES: $240,000
CAP SPACE (22-man roster):- $519,572

In my estimation, that's signing the top 2 UFAs this summer, plus another one of the top 10 in Jokinen, and a very good 3C. All it would take is moving Schultz out without taking salary back, and an additional half-million savings somewhere--could be Erskine, or it could be the huge savings potential of substituting Ward for a <$1M 4th line plugger. Again, it's really difficult to come up with a realistic scenario where Laich's cap hit would be prohibitive.
jokinen will cost way more than 3 million

Old
05-18-2012, 06:00 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
Because they're broke.

Old
05-18-2012, 06:01 PM
G3 LesPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
jokinen will cost way more than 3 million
Why, he's making that now

Old
05-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Because they're broke.
I hope Kovalchuk doesn't find out.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:25 PM
Fitlanbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
Why, he's making that now
Legit 2C is a hole on more than a few teams. Think of what Ward got last summer. Even if its over payment, I can't see him making less than 4M. A 2C that is more or less a lock to put up 50+ points is going to be getting calls from quite a few teams.

Old
05-18-2012, 10:33 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
UFA pool sucks past the big two. With the RFAs all the good ones hard to imagine the team that they are on wants to trade them at all considering their situation. Sort of pondering a trade for Nash while letting Semin/Wideman go.

05-18-2012, 11:04 PM
Kazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
UFA pool sucks past the big two. With the RFAs all the good ones hard to imagine the team that they are on wants to trade them at all considering their situation. Sort of pondering a trade for Nash while letting Semin/Wideman go.
I keep hearing Nash's name mentioned not just here but all over the Caps internet universe, but I fail to see how he brings any new dynamic to the Capitals.

If the Capitals add Nash and lose Semin, they've gone from a super skilled Russian winger to a skilled, physical Canadian winger. The net-gain for the team is negligible, and it's a net loss when you consider Nash's cap hit (Semin currently at 6.7, Nash at 7.8).

The key hole on this team is second line center. That has to be the focal point of any move made this offseason. I would rather bring in more Brouwer-type wingers and bring in a real second line center than have Nash and another year with Laich/? as our 2nd line center.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:19 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazer View Post
I keep hearing Nash's name mentioned not just here but all over the Caps internet universe, but I fail to see how he brings any new dynamic to the Capitals.

If the Capitals add Nash and lose Semin, they've gone from a super skilled Russian winger to a skilled, physical Canadian winger. The net-gain for the team is negligible, and it's a net loss when you consider Nash's cap hit (Semin currently at 6.7, Nash at 7.8).

The key hole on this team is second line center. That has to be the focal point of any move made this offseason. I would rather bring in more Brouwer-type wingers and bring in a real second line center than have Nash and another year with Laich/? as our 2nd line center.
I'd take Nash over Semin any day of the week.

Old
05-18-2012, 11:29 PM
Kazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
I'd take Nash over Semin any day of the week.
That's not the point. The point is that the Caps have much bigger needs than adding another highly skilled winger. They already have one, last time I checked.

Old
05-19-2012, 12:37 AM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazer View Post
That's not the point. The point is that the Caps have much bigger needs than adding another highly skilled winger. They already have one, last time I checked.
Agreed.....Just stating a preference if given a choice

Old
05-19-2012, 01:05 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Just because his salary fits into that roster, doesn't mean that he's neccessarily a good fit there. I realize that it is pretty much impossible to build a perfect roster, but that one has it share of drawbacks.

I like Mojo as much as the next guy, but he was where plays went to die in the playoffs. I'm hoping he's better next year, but I have a hard time penciling him in full time on the top line. I thought he looked decent during the regular season with Ovi, but that line really doesn't have any net presence. On top of that, it is only a 22 man roster and by being that close to the salary cap you don't really have much space for a call-up and you're not banking much room for deadline acquisitions.

I think that roster as-is look pretty good. I just believe it has a chance to look even better.
He's a great fit in that roster I cited.

Again, I have no idea why people hate him so much as a player. He's very good.

Old
05-19-2012, 01:13 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
He's a great fit in that roster I cited.

Again, I have no idea why people hate him so much as a player. He's very good.
Agree to disagree then. I don't think Laich has the skills to be a 2nd line winger. His ES goal numbers speak for themselves.

Old
05-19-2012, 01:18 AM
artilector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
Agree -- people talk about "NJ money problems".. maybe when there's smoke, there's fire, but otherwise, yeah, dunno why he'd leave.

Old
05-19-2012, 01:53 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Agree to disagree then. I don't think Laich has the skills to be a 2nd line winger. His ES goal numbers speak for themselves.
No, they really don't.

How good/bad are those numbers in context? How does his ESG/60 measure up to other second line wingers?

Is ES goal scoring the only aspect of play that allows one to be a second line winger? Do positioning, board work, the ability to take punishment in the crease, etc. not contribute to a players ability to play second line winger?

And how about his PP goal numbers? How do those compare to other second line wingers?

ES goal numbers aren't even remotely close to the end-all when considering whether a player is a 2nd line winger.

Old
05-19-2012, 03:57 AM
MW6

Quote:
I think that Laich is good enough to be a 2nd line winger, brings a lot more intangibles than just ES-scoring to his line. He's not good enough to be a 2C though, his playmaking isn't at the level it needs to be on that position.

And I'd rather trade Johansson + pick, than Laich for say Plekanec or Pavelski. Johansson might still improve some more, but if I had to chose between the two of them I'd pick Laich to have on my team any day of the week. A 2nd line with Laich-Pavs/Pleks-Semin could be a really good one.

Johansson is fast and hustles, and he is good at entering the O-zone and occasionally makes a great play, but still gets knocked off the puck to easily and is a poor finisher. IMO his skillset is more fit for a C than a winger, but he's not strong enough, and wins to few one-on-one battles to be effective enough for 2C, not to mention his faceoffs.

Closed Thread