HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XII

Closed Thread

Old
05-19-2012, 02:43 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Johansson will have plenty of value left next summer, even if he just has a repeat of this season.

Old
05-19-2012, 02:53 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Except Johansson isn't being developed, he's not getting protected minutes where he would be developed as a center. Schultz is in that salary bracket right now and no one here wants to trade him while he is being "developed," right? I am sure there are buyers lining up to get a piece of Schultz's "potential" too. That value is gone once you have to start paying for it.

People are pretending the warning signs weren't there before the playoffs. Even Boudreau benched him for the season-opener for his terrible preseason.

Old
05-19-2012, 02:54 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3 LesPaul View Post
Why, he's making that now
he got 61 points last year and hes a UFA i can see him getting 5 million from a desperate team

Old
05-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Halpysback

Ovechkin Backstrom Jones
Johansson Plekanec Brouwer
Chimera Jokinen Moss
Hendricks Beagle Ward

Alzner Carlson
Suter Green
Lundin/Kulda Orlov
Erskine

Holtby
Neuvirth

Old
05-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Kazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
That is not a pairing that would get the most out of either of those guys. Plus even though Orlov is a left shot he seems more comfortable and is a much more effective player on the right side.

Simply replacing Wideman on the 3rd pairing with Orlov makes perfect sense in so many ways. Why mess with it...?
Ding ding.

Our D for next season (barring no FA/Trade acquisitions)

Alzner - Carlson
Hamrlik - Green
Schultz - Orlov
Erskine

I'm hoping for a replacement veteran defensive defenseman to play with Orlov instead of Schultz, but I'd be okay if we went with that.

Wideman has a lot of offensive power, but that should be replaceable between Carlson, Green, and Orlov. Furthermore, he's a serious liability defensively, and the bottom pairing will improve simply by not having him on the team.

Old
05-19-2012, 04:00 PM
Dr John Carlson
Emotional Boys 2001

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Ovechkin Backstrom Jones
Chimera Jokinen Moss
Hendricks Beagle Ward

Alzner Carlson
Suter Green
Lundin/Kulda Orlov
Erskine

Holtby
Neuvirth
Definetly prefer Laich on 3C more than Jokinen.

Old
05-19-2012, 04:08 PM
fsnoles98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Ovechkin Backstrom Jones
Chimera Jokinen Moss
Hendricks Beagle Ward

Alzner Carlson
Suter Green
Lundin/Kulda Orlov
Erskine

Holtby
Neuvirth
Now that would be nice to see that lineup. MP/Eakin/Kund/Galiev/Wey as callups or rotations.

Old
05-19-2012, 04:08 PM
fsnoles98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr John Carlson View Post
I can roll with that too.

Old
05-19-2012, 04:23 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedishMeatballs1990 View Post
Lauch's production has decreased due to the last 1.75 seasons where we've gone into an ultra defensive system. He just doesn't have the skill to just make a play on his own like SOB, he relies on others by going to the net, and is pretty good in transition and what not. He's definitely a 2LW. He's probably a 55 point winger in a system that you're allowed to play in all 3 zones, not just the defensive one.

I mean, it wouldn't have mattered if we got Parise and DH was still here. He'd most likely only score 60 points, and that's just the truth.

Play hockey the way it's supposed to be played and Laich is a 2LW, Ovechkin a superstar, Semin will produce at a PPG rate, Backstrom will get 90 points, and Johansson will be a 60 point guy if he plays in the top 6.

Don't let the players production the last 2 years fool you. They played in systems where they sat back, played extremely passive, and weren't allowed to attack whatsoever. If they actually play hockey the way it's supposed to be played, production will be much different.
Brooks had 12 ES goals in the fun 'n gun days of '09-'10. Just two more than he had in the oppressive system this year. The guy isn't suffering from the change in style, he is suffering from not having the skill to be a consistent top 6 winger. Even if you want to put it in the context of this season, he was 8th in ES goal scoring. 8th. 3rd liner numbers.

Maybe I'm alone on an island here. I don't care. You could pay me $4.5M and call me a 2LW because that's what my salary dictates, but I sure as heck won't produce like one. If they don't get a high skilled winger for that opposite wing for Brooks to leech off of, he won't produce like one either.

As for Schultz, I had been giving him a pass because like Millhaus said, I expected him to continue developing. If he doesn't show any improvement this year and/or the Caps pick up a better LD, I'd send him packing because there's no need for a $2.75M 3rd pairing guy that has no upside left.

Back to Brooks, I believe we've seen the best that he has to offer, and it isn't worth $4.5M. I see him as a solid 3LW that is good on the PK and can fill in other holes as needed on a short term basis. That is worth closer to $3M than $4.5M for me.

If the Caps aren't going to spend to the cap then overpaying a square peg in a round hole isn't going to be a big problem anyway.

Old
05-19-2012, 04:24 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr John Carlson View Post
Defensively they're a wash and Jokinen can play as a legitimate top 6 offensive center if need be. That whole line would be very strong offensively for a 3rd line. Plus he'd probably cost 3.5 or so as opposed to 4.5.

Old
05-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
What do you guys think about Kane.

Its a lot of **** over drinking on Cinco de Mayo.

Seen my brother in law get more **** faced after his kids baptism.
If people were *****ing about Semin being a defensively inept floater who never goes to the boards and just trolls the center of the ice for breakaways, man would they have a thing coming with Kane

Old
05-19-2012, 04:39 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

I think Laich should play 2LW. They can take a bottom-6 C on the FA.
Options:
Chris Kelly
Daymond Langkow
Dominic Moore
Jarret Stoll
Paul Gaustad
Jim Slater
Adam Burish
Jay McClement
Gregory Campbell
Samuel Pahlsson
Adam Hall
John Mitchell
Dominic Moore
Daniel Winnik - My personal fav

Old
05-19-2012, 04:45 PM
um

theres gonna be a lot of disappointed posters this summer

Old
05-19-2012, 04:52 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

BTW, I think we're all set with the top-6 wingers.
Ovechkin - Brouwer
Laich - Johansson
Of course, if there's a chance to get somebody like Jakub Voracek (Welcome to the salary trouble, Philly), I'd do it.

Old
05-19-2012, 04:55 PM
WetHog

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Whats the word on Green? Just ran into an article that reminded me he was a RFA. Isn't there different tiers of RFA like in the NFL? Anyway, will Green and his agent compromise with GMGM based on Green's injury history? Or is there a chance we lose Green? I would like to see him return.

Old
05-19-2012, 04:58 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
BTW, I think we're all set with the top-6 wingers.
Ovechkin - Brouwer
Laich - Johansson
Of course, if there's a chance to get somebody like Jakub Voracek (Welcome to the salary trouble, Philly), I'd do it.
ovechkin ,brouwer, laich, and johansson are meh. unless we get a 1b, 2a center our top 6 is awful.

Old
05-19-2012, 08:38 PM
fsnoles98

Galiev proving against London that he needs atleast a year in Hershey. So better not get there hopes to high.

Old
05-19-2012, 08:43 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsnoles98 View Post
Galiev proving against London that he needs atleast a year in Hershey. So better not get there hopes to high.
Yep one non finished game is enough proof after leading the CHL in playoff points and scoring GPG.

Old
05-19-2012, 08:44 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WetHog View Post
Whats the word on Green? Just ran into an article that reminded me he was a RFA. Isn't there different tiers of RFA like in the NFL? Anyway, will Green and his agent compromise with GMGM based on Green's injury history? Or is there a chance we lose Green? I would like to see him return.
There are tiers of draft pick compensation (changes every year) if he signs an offer sheet, and there tiers that define what his QO would have to be.

Green would have no reason to take a pay cut, because his QO would be the same as his current salary... although it may make sense if they give him an extra year, I don't know.

Regardless, he's only gone if the Caps don't want to keep him. They can match any offer sheet he'd sign, and frankly given his health issues I don't know that the market for him would be there in the first place. Offer sheets are such a taboo to begin with, hard to give up maybe 4 1sts for a guy who hasn't been healthy the past few years.

Old
05-19-2012, 10:20 PM
fsnoles98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
Yep one non finished game is enough proof after leading the CHL in playoff points and scoring GPG.
This must have been the first game you saw Galiev play?????????

Also he plays in the LHJMQ which usually leads the CHL in scoring since it is a wide open league.

Your pretty good with your stats, now know the game.

Old
05-20-2012, 01:29 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by um View Post
We're probably at 100% disappointment with the team right now, so I don't think it will get worse.

Old
05-20-2012, 01:38 AM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
We're probably at 100% disappointment with the team right now, so I don't think it will get worse.
it always does... it always does

Old
05-20-2012, 04:06 AM
artilector

Quote:
I think the difference from years past is that there will be a lot of mildly disappointed posters. The disappointment is just not the same when it happens for the n-th time, lol.

Old
05-20-2012, 04:58 AM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:
I am not going to be disappointed at all. For a few years now I have been pushing for Green out and Getzlaf in. We all know how I feel about Green. But I wanted Getzlaf because I felt the team was to soft. Not that Getzlaf is some big fighter that is going to beat every one up. But he has his limits. And there was a lot things that happen all the time to the Caps the past few seasons that would of been over the line with him. And would dropped the gloves. And made a point in standing up for the team.

This year I got to see a lot of things I did not think the guys had in them. They all seem to have some push back in them. They played with an edge we never seen before. And think we can thank DH for that.

We just had four years of disappointing playoff losses. Saying after each year they would come out better next year. The team is young and they needed playoff experience.

This year may have hurt more then the past few. But I feel like the team just took there first real steps at being a true playoff tested team. They never backed down and always came back strong after a tough loss.

Baby Dinosaur even had some rage in his eyes. It did not take long to forget how much struggled this past season. He is going to be a beast.

Even Green seem to find a little of what he has been missing. The points were not there but his passes seem to have a lot more on them. And he also had a little edge to his game also.

I am pumped for whats to come. We have two great draft picks. We may have a goalie we can count on for the long haul. As bad as Mojo was in the playoffs he is still only a kid and just doubled his points from the year before. Orlov looked like our best player on the blue line at times this season. Eakin and Galiev about ready to crack the lineup and give use a few years cheap production. We have a winning lottery ticket named Yevgeni Kuznetsov that could pay off big time. All the while the best players on the team are only 22-26yo.

The team is in a great spot.

Old
05-20-2012, 06:04 AM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Imagine more Wideman?

The 29-year-old said he would be open to returning to Washington, whether or not that happens remains to be seen.

“Obviously, I like it here. I’ve had a lot of fun here in the last year,” Wideman said. “I like where we’re going, the core group of guys is really, really good. So why not? I’d love to be back.”

----------------

So, nobody can imagine McPhee resigns him?

Closed Thread