HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XII

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2012, 06:12 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

vCash: 500
For 1.5M, I'd re-sign him.

Old
05-20-2012, 07:14 AM
stanleycaps98
I cheer for laundry

I would rather have Orlov as a regular.

Old
05-20-2012, 09:05 AM
G3 LesPaul

Wideman=

Old
05-20-2012, 10:11 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Sure Wideman wants to come back...at the right price. Hopefully management isn't dumb enough to pay him that price.

Old
05-20-2012, 10:23 AM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Wideman wouldn't be bad for 3mil playing 3rd pair minutes and PP (if he can keep the ****ing puck in the zone), and if we got a more offensive coach. But he's gonna want more than 3mil so if GMGM signs him, ugh.

Old
05-20-2012, 10:31 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Except Johansson isn't being developed, he's not getting protected minutes where he would be developed as a center. Schultz is in that salary bracket right now and no one here wants to trade him while he is being "developed," right? I am sure there are buyers lining up to get a piece of Schultz's "potential" too. That value is gone once you have to start paying for it.

People are pretending the warning signs weren't there before the playoffs. Even Boudreau benched him for the season-opener for his terrible preseason.
Way to rewrite history to fit your agenda. Johansson was benched for the season opener not because he was terrible in the pre-season, but because Perreault was incredible. Same reason Neuvirth started game one over Vokoun.

And you don't have to leave someone in the bottom six to develop them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
I think Laich should play 2LW. They can take a bottom-6 C on the FA.
Options:
Chris Kelly
Daymond Langkow
Dominic Moore
Jarret Stoll
Paul Gaustad
Jim Slater
Adam Burish
Jay McClement
Gregory Campbell
Samuel Pahlsson
Adam Hall
John Mitchell
Dominic Moore
Daniel Winnik - My personal fav
I agree with the general principle of this idea, but a few of those guys (including Winnik) aren't centers, and many are a better fit for the 4th line than the 3rd.

Old
05-20-2012, 11:23 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I said it before, and I'll say it again: Johansson has never played that much hockey before in his life. He lacks strength, so he wore down.

He's a 21 year old second year player. It happens.

To say he hasn't developed is ignoring rational thought. He increased his points per game by ~35% on a team that was essentially the same offensively as the one in his rookie year (scored 0.01 goals per game fewer).

Lest we forget he was 3rd among forwards on the Caps in points this year.

Old
05-20-2012, 12:11 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
I agree with the general principle of this idea, but a few of those guys (including Winnik) aren't centers, and many are a better fit for the 4th line than the 3rd.
Winnik is a versatile guy, I think he can play C.
I think if our 3rd line will be checkers, Jay Beagle/Matt Hendricks can play 3rd line C. Of course, if it we'll be more balanced line, it needs Stoll/Kelly.

Old
05-20-2012, 12:13 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I said it before, and I'll say it again: Johansson has never played that much hockey before in his life. He lacks strength, so he wore down.

He's a 21 year old second year player. It happens.

To say he hasn't developed is ignoring rational thought. He increased his points per game by ~35% on a team that was essentially the same offensively as the one in his rookie year (scored 0.01 goals per game fewer).

Lest we forget he was 3rd among forwards on the Caps in points this year.
I can't believe people are ignoring the 2 bolded comments you made.

Old
05-20-2012, 12:14 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

On MJ: When you get eliminated, they don't ask you how old you are. If you're not ready to win now, you better play somewhere else

Old
05-20-2012, 12:16 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
The 29-year-old said he would be open to returning to Washington, whether or not that happens remains to be seen.

“Obviously, I like it here. I’ve had a lot of fun here in the last year,” Wideman said. “I like where we’re going, the core group of guys is really, really good. So why not?
Please sign with the Pens !

Old
05-20-2012, 12:18 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
On MJ: When you get eliminated, they don't ask you how old you are. If you're not ready to win now, you better play somewhere else
What a horrible way to look at player development.
You know the Canucks thought that way when they traded Neely to the Bruins.....and The Pens thought that way when they traded Naslund to the Canucks.

Old
05-20-2012, 12:20 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
What a horrible way to look at player development.
You know the Canucks thought that way when they traded Neely to the Bruins.....and The Pens thought that way when they traded Naslund to the Canucks.
So you think that in 1,2,5, whatever years Marcus Johansson will be as good as Neely/Naslund?
It's clear that he hasn't hit his ceiling yet, and his price reflects that.

Old
05-20-2012, 12:22 PM
NeilYoung

I'm all for acquiring Getzlaf but if you,re of the opinion that he would be helpful in providing grit you re sadly wrong, he provides no more grit than backstrom or laich at center and disappears for long stretches he's great player but it's been that way ever since I watched him in juniors. I guess that means he'd fit in perfectly here though.

I'll never understand how so many people on this board base there opinions on reputations and nationallity, forming you re own opinions is overrated I guess.

And no I'm not vouching for Semin or green I'm just saying a lot of getzlafs problems are the same as green and semins but are often overlooked

Old
05-20-2012, 12:37 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
So you think that in 1,2,5, whatever years Marcus Johansson will be as good as Neely/Naslund?
It's clear that he hasn't hit his ceiling yet, and his price reflects that.
No I'm not saying he'll be as good as Neely or Naslund, ......my point is , you don't give up on a 21 yr old player who was 3 rd in scoring on your team. Neely and Naslund are only 2 examples of many.
Naslund was 23 and was 8th in scoring for the Pens when he was traded.

Last edited by sunnydaycrash: 05-20-2012 at 12:50 PM.
Old
05-20-2012, 01:02 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
What does this even mean? He should be traded because he was bad in the playoffs?

Have any recollection of last year? You know, when he was one of the two best forwards in the playoffs?

He's 21 years old, on a cheap ELC. No reason to move him unless its for a top-notch player with term.

Old
05-20-2012, 01:16 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
What does this even mean? He should be traded because he was bad in the playoffs?

Have any recollection of last year? You know, when he was one of the two best forwards in the playoffs?

He's 21 years old, on a cheap ELC. No reason to move him unless its for a top-notch player with term.
That means that he should be traded in a RIGHT deal (not in ANY deal) because he couldn't pick up his game when mattered most.

Old
05-20-2012, 02:41 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
That means that he should be traded in a RIGHT deal (not in ANY deal) because he couldn't pick up his game when mattered most.
What player shouldn't be traded in the "RIGHT" deal? Isn't that exactly what a "right deal" is?

Old
05-20-2012, 02:49 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Johansson had an entire offseason to work on his weaknesses knowing he 2C was his job to lose, but instead got benched out of the gate because he wasn't ready to play. He showed virtually no improvements on his major weaknesses as the season wore on, regressed badly in certain areas, but people blindly assumed he is developing properly because he put up more points thanks to a perfect storm of increased ice-time, better linemates, and a system change to one that favor his speed on counterattacks.

Small and soft wingers don't have a whole lot of value in the trade market. He is the perfect trade bait right now because he has enough potential left while on his ELC to be sold as more than that which is why it's a good time to sell and bring in someone better to replace him.

Old
05-20-2012, 04:15 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Again, you ignore last year when he was one of the few on the team to actually step up his game.

But yeah, let's forget that. Let's forget that he's 21 in his 2nd year. Let's ignore all of the great players that struggled to start their playoff careers.

Might as well trade him for RJ Umberger right now. Shortsightedness FTW.

Old
05-20-2012, 04:41 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

The legendary Marcus Johansson playoffs of 2011 was the same one where he was on-ice for a team-worst 9 ES goals against.

Other than regular season points no one has actually managed to point out which part of his game has actually improved, just that everything will magically get better when he gets stronger. There are also NHL players that hit their career high at age 20-21 and regressed in subsequent seasons, but obviously they didn't come with the Incredible Hulk mutation like Johansson.

Old
05-20-2012, 06:24 PM
artilector

Nobody knows what will happen with MJ. But I think most of us agree that:
1. He has enough potential where you certainly don't want to give up on him or trade him away as a throw-in.
2. There is enough risk/questions with his development and so if a deal for an established 2C comes along, you certainly have to consider it, if MJ is the price.

I would lean on holding on to him. Why? A lot of Swedish players seem to get consistently better with age -- their development often seems more gradual but they keep improving year to year. Heck, Sedins were nothing special early on.

And MJ does have at least one elite quality -- speed. If he can be at least decent in all other categories, and I see no reason why he can't be, he's going to be quite good.

Old
05-20-2012, 06:27 PM
foundhockey
Pollyanna Sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
I am not going to be disappointed at all. For a few years now I have been pushing for Green out and Getzlaf in. We all know how I feel about Green. But I wanted Getzlaf because I felt the team was to soft. Not that Getzlaf is some big fighter that is going to beat every one up. But he has his limits. And there was a lot things that happen all the time to the Caps the past few seasons that would of been over the line with him. And would dropped the gloves. And made a point in standing up for the team.

This year I got to see a lot of things I did not think the guys had in them. They all seem to have some push back in them. They played with an edge we never seen before. And think we can thank DH for that.

We just had four years of disappointing playoff losses. Saying after each year they would come out better next year. The team is young and they needed playoff experience.

This year may have hurt more then the past few. But I feel like the team just took there first real steps at being a true playoff tested team. They never backed down and always came back strong after a tough loss.

Baby Dinosaur even had some rage in his eyes. It did not take long to forget how much struggled this past season. He is going to be a beast.

Even Green seem to find a little of what he has been missing. The points were not there but his passes seem to have a lot more on them. And he also had a little edge to his game also.

I am pumped for whats to come. We have two great draft picks. We may have a goalie we can count on for the long haul. As bad as Mojo was in the playoffs he is still only a kid and just doubled his points from the year before. Orlov looked like our best player on the blue line at times this season. Eakin and Galiev about ready to crack the lineup and give use a few years cheap production. We have a winning lottery ticket named Yevgeni Kuznetsov that could pay off big time. All the while the best players on the team are only 22-26yo.

The team is in a great spot.
Great post, I love it! I see only good things for the future.

Old
05-20-2012, 07:35 PM
LSnow

Semin is probably good as gone.. Oldman seemed to enjoy WC and probably is lobbying for a top end winger.. Also detroit coach seemed to talk about a high end acquisition ( semin ) .. But that could be good thing also for the caps.. What caps should do is try to sign a really good 4th dman, and trade for a high end upcoming 2 nd line dynamic center.. Assets are there.. So sign Garrison, get wideman for cheap and trade for Krejci or if Kane is for sale then throw a package for him..

Old
05-20-2012, 09:21 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
So in that case there isn't a player on the team who shouldn't be traded in the RIGHT deal because none of them picked up their game when it mattered most THIS SEASON outside of I guess Holtby and maybe Chimera, Beagle, and Hendricks.

So Johansson is in good company then...

Closed Thread