HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XII

Closed Thread

Old
05-20-2012, 09:30 PM
Millhaus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Other than regular season points no one has actually managed to point out which part of his game has actually improved...
His faceoff work improved...

Old
05-21-2012, 06:04 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
So in that case there isn't a player on the team who shouldn't be traded in the RIGHT deal because none of them picked up their game when it mattered most THIS SEASON outside of I guess Holtby and maybe Chimera, Beagle, and Hendricks.

So Johansson is in good company then...
Alzner, Carlson, Hamrlik, Backstrom, no?

Old
05-21-2012, 08:18 AM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

vCash: 714
While MJ remains a kid adapting to the NHL game, he was learning a new position that didn't use him to his strengths. Don't blame him. It forced him onto the boards where he got eaten up - and we had him lead the charge into the zone. Ovi is not a board beast himself, Laich is ok, MJ not yet. That line didn't show much in the playoffs but I don't think anyone expected much from that line.

I thought he adapted well to our trap. I think his best play was in center ice. I think its best to keep him at center, use him to his other strengths - his speed and defensive awareness. Like we did with Nick and are doing with Laich, let them him faceoffs by doing.

Old
05-21-2012, 10:24 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Getting Winnik for the bottom six would be great. He doesn't have amazing hands, but has speed to burn (another Chimera). He and McClement have played significant time together in the past two seasons...

Old
05-21-2012, 10:44 AM
foundhockey

Wings board talking like Semin is going over there for sure after the WHC. His chemistry with Datsyuk and Ovie was crazy good. I really want him to stay here. Could Semin be waiting to see which coach the Caps end up with? Does he have that luxury of waiting for that decision?

Old
05-21-2012, 10:48 AM
Langway
Proud Mediocrity

vCash: 301
Quote:
Originally Posted by foundhockey View Post
Could Semin be waiting to see which coach the Caps end up with? Does he have that luxury of waiting for that decision?
Not if they wait until ****ing August to make a decision.

Old
05-21-2012, 10:55 AM
Capitlols

I remember a time DRW fans wanted no part of the lazy Russian known as Semin. Now they'll welcome him with open arms.

Old
05-21-2012, 10:57 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Wings fans have just as much insight into who will pursue Semin as we do--which is to say, none at all.

Old
05-21-2012, 10:58 AM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

George needs to find himself and the vision of his team, before he finds the next coach.

Perhaps its wise of Semin to be more weary of George before any coach he may bring in.

Old
05-21-2012, 11:42 AM
foundhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Wings fans have just as much insight into who will pursue Semin as we do--which is to say, none at all.
Agreed. I do wonder if Semin will wait and see, or if he can.

Old
05-21-2012, 11:48 AM
Halpysback*

Chimera McClement Winnik could actually be a beastly 3rd line.

Old
05-21-2012, 12:16 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by foundhockey View Post
Wings board talking like Semin is going over there for sure after the WHC. His chemistry with Datsyuk and Ovie was crazy good. I really want him to stay here. Could Semin be waiting to see which coach the Caps end up with? Does he have that luxury of waiting for that decision?
For a big money free agent like Semin, I think it's better to sign early while teams still have cap space to throw around, but the CBA expiration throws everything off this year.

Old
05-21-2012, 12:49 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
Alzner, Carlson, Hamrlik, Backstrom, no?
I don't think Alzner was any better during the playoffs than during the season.

Carlson was poor during the season and back to last year's standard in the playoffs. I guess technically that means he stepped up his game though.

Hamrlik was good for a while in the 2nd half of the regular season and was good in the playoffs.

Backstrom had some great games in the playoffs but overall I don't think he was nearly good enough. 8 points in 13 games isn't close to good enough.

Old
05-21-2012, 01:13 PM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

Carlson saved it all year for the playoffs. Sandbagging. Maybe he did that to make sure he was fresh during the playoffs, especially since he got hurt the year before.

I hope next year he steps up his game in the regular season. We need someone on our blueline to step and take control of our defense, lead by example. We have no alpha male on our blue and I hope for one he takes charge. One has to lead, and the other follow suit. It's not just hockey, it's life. A Langway, Stevens, Tinordi. We have no leader on our blueline.

I think we all know our 7D for next year already. Getting a 1LD brought in is a pipedream. George has built his core D from within.

Old
05-21-2012, 01:21 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Carlson saved it all year for the playoffs. Sandbagging. Maybe he did that to make sure he was fresh during the playoffs, especially since he got hurt the year before.
Didn't JC come around at exactly the same time he was paired with Alzner?

Old
05-21-2012, 01:44 PM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
Didn't JC come around at exactly the same time he was paired with Alzner?
Quite possibly - maybe the same time Hammer was back in the lineup.

But JC seemed to step up his hitting and intensity in the playoffs, and not before. If a guy can step up their game overnight, they were holding part of their game back. They almost all do it. One that hasn't, is Ovi.

There was also a reason they were separated. If only because the rest of the D was a mess. Sometimes an optimal pairing must be sacrificed to make 3 pairs work.

Old
05-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Millhaus

Carlson and Alzner played together for a good portion of the year and Carlson was very much sub par for most of that.

Old
05-21-2012, 02:12 PM
SBraun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post

Backstrom had some great games in the playoffs but overall I don't think he was nearly good enough. 8 points in 13 games isn't close to good enough.
That seems pretty good to me, considering that after missing 40 games, he'd only skated for 2 1/2 weeks, followed by only 4 games at the end of the season, and then right into the playoffs. He did better than most players could do after a whole summer to prepare.

I don't think he had the time to get back to his form of earlier in the season, and I think that's what kept him from being more consistent. Backstrom himself said that it was like training camp all over again. I'd imagine it felt a lot harder than training camp.

Old
05-21-2012, 02:16 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

This coach or that coach, with Semin or without, with Suter or not... get 2C and take the benefit. FFS!

Old
05-21-2012, 02:19 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by marchbrown View Post
That seems pretty good to me, considering that after missing 40 games, he'd only skated for 2 1/2 weeks, followed by only 4 games at the end of the season, and then right into the playoffs. He did better than most players could do after a whole summer to prepare.

I don't think he had the time to get back to his form of earlier in the season, and I think that's what kept him from being more consistent. Backstrom himself said that it was like training camp all over again. I'd imagine it felt a lot harder than training camp.
I didn't say he was bad. I just wouldn't describe it as 'stepping up his game' in the playoffs...

Old
05-21-2012, 02:37 PM
Devil Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
But JC seemed to step up his hitting and intensity in the playoffs, and not before. If a guy can step up their game overnight, they were holding part of their game back. They almost all do it. One that hasn't, is Ovi.
That's certainly true. Remember 52 taking the hit to make the clear on the PK in OT in game 5? He would have ducked away from that hit in the regular season, or maybe even before OT.

Old
05-21-2012, 04:10 PM
RandyHolt
I Won a Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Dancer View Post
That's certainly true. Remember 52 taking the hit to make the clear on the PK in OT in game 5? He would have ducked away from that hit in the regular season, or maybe even before OT.
I certainly can't fault Carlson for holding back the physical play in the regular season, if Green has set the bar for how our offensive RD play. Like it or not, he is a mentor for Carlson, who spends a lot his time on the bench watching him play. Picking up his habits perhaps.

Green has thrown some monster hits in playoffs past. Regular season, very rare. I remember Green throwing one big hit this playoffs. Yawn. Its not just the offense that has gone from his game. He is getting his qualifying offer no matter what he did. I hope the league allows more incentive based contracts.

Players cant just throw a few hits when the playoffs start and expect it to make a difference though.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 05-21-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old
05-21-2012, 07:29 PM
fsnoles98

We have no absolute "house cleaners" in our defensive pairings to clear the front of the net. We have finesse guys that aren't bad, but I want someone to clear the front of the net so our goaltenders can concentrate on the puck. Too many times the last couple years our goaltenders where trying to get a good view on the puck, but having to clear the front of the net themselves ala Langway, Stevens, Tinordi, Iafrate. Please add one, Schultz is not cutting it.

Old
05-21-2012, 09:41 PM
thewill78

I posted on the trades board of us doing a similar trade to last year when we got Brouwer for our first but I was thinking since Semin's probably leaving and Philly having cap issues us trading our first(16th) and a 3rd if needed to Philly for Voracek. Thoughts?

Old
05-21-2012, 09:57 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewill78 View Post
I posted on the trades board of us doing a similar trade to last year when we got Brouwer for our first but I was thinking since Semin's probably leaving and Philly having cap issues us trading our first(16th) and a 3rd if needed to Philly for Voracek. Thoughts?
He would be best with Semin, not even close to being a Semin replacement.

I think it could work to do:

Semin-MoJo-Voracek

Though he could be better with Ovi and Nicky.

Closed Thread