HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Do some NHL players use intermediate sticks?

Old
05-10-2012, 06:19 AM
SergeiMakarovStyle

vCash: 500

SergeiMakarovStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 06:53 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

I believe Ovy and Kessel both do.

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 08:59 AM
CptKirk
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
I believe Ovy and Kessel both do.
No, Ovechkin just uses 75 flex, which is still ridiculously light for a guy his size. Kessel alternates between 75 flex and intermediates.

CptKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:32 AM
AIREAYE

There's a difference between intermediate sticks and intermediate flexes, sticks have smaller shaft dimensions than Senior and are shorter than their SR counterparts by mostly 2-3" and an intermediate flex is in the 60-70 range. Pro stock sticks can have all sorts of things done to them, so it's unlikely that you'll be able to tell just by looking whether a suspected INT pro stock stick matches up with its retail INT specs.

There are quite a few pros who do use retail sticks and cut down and a very small percentage use whippier flexes in that range, while many cut their sticks down to what you would see on retail INTs. What I'm saying basically is that depending on what you consider an INT stick, comparing it to pro stock is inaccurate.

Sorry for complicating it lol

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:40 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

If you want an idea of the kind of options pros get, check out the Warrior customizer. They have flexes in increments of 5 from 65 to 120 in senior lengths. Or at intermediate from 55 to 85.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 09:42 AM
donkers*

A long time ago when I was a wee little lad I found a senior length stick with a 67 (int) flex but it was an astounding $250. I wish more companies would offer that as a choice for their lower end sticks. Right now I use intermediate sticks for the low flex but would prefer it to be a bit longer. I guess I can put in a butt plug for an extra 2-3" but that's too much work.

donkers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:08 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkers View Post
A long time ago when I was a wee little lad I found a senior length stick with a 67 (int) flex but it was an astounding $250. I wish more companies would offer that as a choice for their lower end sticks. Right now I use intermediate sticks for the low flex but would prefer it to be a bit longer. I guess I can put in a butt plug for an extra 2-3" but that's too much work.
I have a CCM shaft that I think is 67.

Lonny Bohonos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:14 AM
jorbjorb
BROWN TOWN

I'm short. I have a 65 int stick. when cut its like 73 flex.

I'm 5'7.

would nathan gerbe or st louis do the same thing?

jorbjorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 10:18 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Some of those guys are beastly strong, and I believe St Louis uses a 95 flex chopped down short. He is more a playmaker than a big shooter though, might prefer the stiffer stick. Plus he grew up with stiff wood sticks, not comps.

Old
05-10-2012, 12:55 PM
adaptation

Briere used a 67flex for the playoffs. Guess that worked out fine. Depends largely on what shots you will be doing. Defenseman for sure should stick to 85+, forwards can go as low as 67(kessel&ovie) but can also rock a 100 flex(malkin)

Just note that a stick too whippy you will lose power on slapshots and theres a good chance you break it.

adaptation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 12:59 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

That doesn't take into account your height or strength though. There's a world of difference between Danny Briere and Chris Pronger using a 67 flex.

Old
05-10-2012, 01:14 PM
newfr4u

if pros' sticks could be split into senior/intermediate categories, yes, there are lots of pros who use intermediates.

however, the sticks the pros get aren't quite retail, even the top shelf stuff. i'd be surprised there's more than one pro using an intermediate similar to mine.

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:22 PM
neksys

I use an INT 67, cut down to maybe a 73 or so. I don't like the feel of the slimmer shaft though.

I don't know what it is about manufacturers and selling senior sticks that are probably too stiff for the average player. Marketing?

There is no way that the average beer leaguer is getting full use out of their senior sticks. The lowest flex senior stick I see retail around here is 87, but given that the average North American male is somewhere between 5'8" and 5'10", that stick is way too long. Is a 5'8" 180lb dude who plays once a week and sits in front of a computer all day REALLY going to be able to flex a 100 stick?

I realize a lot of it is personal preference etc etc, but I imagine there is a huge market for lower-flex senior sticks out there. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:26 PM
Stories
Hockey scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
I use an INT 67, cut down to maybe a 73 or so. I don't like the feel of the slimmer shaft though.

I don't know what it is about manufacturers and selling senior sticks that are probably too stiff for the average player. Marketing?

There is no way that the average beer leaguer is getting full use out of their senior sticks. The lowest flex senior stick I see retail around here is 87, but given that the average North American male is somewhere between 5'8" and 5'10", that stick is way too long. Is a 5'8" 180lb dude who plays once a week and sits in front of a computer all day REALLY going to be able to flex a 100 stick?

I realize a lot of it is personal preference etc etc, but I imagine there is a huge market for lower-flex senior sticks out there. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.
You're totally right. I used to have a senior 85 flex but had trouble with it. Moved down to a 67 intermediate and my shot has improved immensely since then.

Disclaimer: I'm short and light, 5'8", 160lbs

Stories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-10-2012, 01:36 PM
neksys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stories View Post
You're totally right. I used to have a senior 85 flex but had trouble with it. Moved down to a 67 intermediate and my shot has improved immensely since then.

Disclaimer: I'm short and light, 5'8", 160lbs
I'm 5'8", 173lbs, so we are more or less in the same boat.

My shot is way more accurate and way more powerful since taking the step down. But I find even when shopping for sticks, I'll get some know-it-all salesperson being like "uhh, the adult sticks are over here."

Whatever.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 11:55 AM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
There's a difference between intermediate sticks and intermediate flexes, sticks have smaller shaft dimensions than Senior and are shorter than their SR counterparts by mostly 2-3" and an intermediate flex is in the 60-70 range. Pro stock sticks can have all sorts of things done to them, so it's unlikely that you'll be able to tell just by looking whether a suspected INT pro stock stick matches up with its retail INT specs.

There are quite a few pros who do use retail sticks and cut down and a very small percentage use whippier flexes in that range, while many cut their sticks down to what you would see on retail INTs. What I'm saying basically is that depending on what you consider an INT stick, comparing it to pro stock is inaccurate.

Sorry for complicating it lol
I have a feeling the OP meant intermediate flexes. I don't see much reason for an NHL to use a stick with intermediate dimensions. I actually suspect there could even be a rule against it, as it would break more regularly, not only on shots, but on slashes and routine stick checks, making it a hazard and more difficult for officials to determine a slash. I'm sure the OP wanted to know if any pros use a whippier flex than 75, basically, and I'm sure the answer is some do, at least sometimes.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-11-2012, 12:00 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

No there's no rule against it. Some players do like slimmer or very rounded shafts, others like really boxy or larger shafts.

Old
05-11-2012, 12:20 PM
donkers*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPF24 View Post
I have a feeling the OP meant intermediate flexes. I don't see much reason for an NHL to use a stick with intermediate dimensions. I actually suspect there could even be a rule against it, as it would break more regularly, not only on shots, but on slashes and routine stick checks, making it a hazard and more difficult for officials to determine a slash. I'm sure the OP wanted to know if any pros use a whippier flex than 75, basically, and I'm sure the answer is some do, at least sometimes.
Nope. No such rule.

Old
05-11-2012, 12:29 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
No there's no rule against it. Some players do like slimmer or very rounded shafts, others like really boxy or larger shafts.
I understand the difference between boxy or rounded shaft corners and how important the feel of the stick is, but I'm surprised there isn't a rule against using sticks as thin as intermediates. I don't expect there to be any kind of rule regulating, boxy corners, rounded edges, concave or convex profiles, tacky/grip textiles or anything like that, but I would have suspected a standard thickness. Oh well, learn something every day I suppose.

Old
05-11-2012, 12:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Nothing at all regarding that, just length, blade, and curve.

Old
05-11-2012, 12:57 PM
donkers*

The wall thickness between an intermediate and senior stick isn't all that great. A well placed and hard slash is going to break the stick no matter what.

Old
05-11-2012, 01:01 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Pros also have a variety of options for kevlar reinforcement and wall thickness. They can get a stronger stick but usually prefer not to for performance reasons.

Old
05-11-2012, 01:02 PM
SERE 24
LGR

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkers View Post
The wall thickness between an intermediate and senior stick isn't all that great. A well placed and hard slash is going to break the stick no matter what.
I know; I didn't mean wall thickness. I just meant I assumed there would be a regulation on the width of the stick. I understand that that's not the case, I was only clarifying from before. I just assumed you could have whatever flex, contours, grips or curves (obviously within regulations) you wanted to but it had to be on a senior "sized" stick.

Old
05-11-2012, 01:10 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

99% or more of NHL'ers probably wouldn't want to use an intermediate anyway. They get more options with senior shafts. And most are tall with normal or large hands.

Old
05-11-2012, 01:41 PM
1Knee1T
OHH MAMMA DONT U CRY

In regards to Briere using a 67 flex, I remember watching a video in which he said he lowers his flex as the season progresses. He does it because he loses muscular strength during the season since he isn't able to work out as as he did during the off-season. So while it is true that he uses a low flex in the playoffs, it's only because he feels he's not as strong as he was in the beginning of the season when he was using a stiffer flex.

1Knee1T is offline   Reply With Quote