HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Anyone wanna buy a Rider-themed Jets hat?

Old
05-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Samcanadian

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy66 View Post
This is true.

but please for the love of god do not be wearing glittering gold when you do so

any predictions this year?
It was cool to see them come so close this past season, would of been nice to see the 20+ year drought broken.
Our offense was terrible last season, and it was our D that even let us get a sniff. I'll be honest when I say that when we lost I wasn't even super disappointed, due to the excitement about the Jets.

That being said, "not super disappointed" meant that I couldn't eat or sleep for only one week, rather than the 3 as is customary after a Bomber season ending on a sad note.

Samcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 02:20 PM
roccerfeller
whiteout bromantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin's Ghost View Post
There are a many, many Rider fans who are also Jet fans. Inter-prairie hatred ends when football season is over. Maybe not for some of you guys...

And spend lots of money when you go to Regina, keep the boom times going!

GO JETS GO (and RIDERS!!)
That's awesome

What is - in your opinion - the breakdown of NHL fans in Sask in general? I always thought Saskatoon, for instance, was Oiler territory when it came to fanbases, and that Regina was Flames central for many people

roccerfeller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 02:38 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

vCash: 500
As someone who no longer lives in Manitoba, I've found that most people outside the prairies consider Saskatchewan=Manitoba. It's the same way most people most Canadians would think North Dakota=South Dakota or West Virginia=Virginia.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 02:47 PM
Tintin's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
That's awesome

What is - in your opinion - the breakdown of NHL fans in Sask in general? I always thought Saskatoon, for instance, was Oiler territory when it came to fanbases, and that Regina was Flames central for many people
Over 40 is based on the old guys cheering for original 6 teams that Sask boys played for. Under 40 is Oilers and Jets.

As in any market, there are a lot of preferences. especially since no "home" team for Sask. The over 40 crowd is into the Flyers (history of Sask boys playing for them going back to Reggie Leach in the 1970s), the Hawks and the Bruins. Some like the Leafs. Not too much love out here for the Habs since they're from Quebec and, well, that's regionalism for you.

The under 40 crowd is mostly Oilers. I was raised in Regina and there are far more Oilers fans than Flames fans. After that it's the Jets, especially the younger you go. I think the appeal is based on the fact that when Winnipeg got a team back it showed the power of a re-booted economy and represented the boom in Prairie Canada. Getting the Jets back galvanized a lot of young people out here much the same as it did in Manitoba. Jets fans and Rider fans are pretty much the same in behaviour. Small market, passionate/crazy fan base.

I attend the U of S in Saskatoon and I'm (comfortably) surrounded by a plethora of Jets fans. In fact, the business school organizes annual trip to Edmonton for hockey games and is now considering a trip to Winnipeg since Jets so popular...only problem is that we can't get any damn tickets!

Honestly, Chipman could make another million dollars+ by shipping those green hats out here and sell them. People here have a Pavlovian response to the mighty green colour.

Tintin's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:47 AM
Noisespektrum

awful hats and awful league (nfl i mean)

Noisespektrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 07:59 AM
tacogeoff

vCash: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by llb9977 View Post
awful hats and awful league (nfl i mean)
You just made me spit out my coffee :p great hats and both the cfl and nfl are great leagues. Nfl on Sunday's and CFL for live games can't get any better then being able to watch two styles of football thus allowing many more reasons to have Cold a beer in my hand

tacogeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:17 PM
Tkachuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tintin's Ghost View Post
Over 40 is based on the old guys cheering for original 6 teams that Sask boys played for. Under 40 is Oilers and Jets.

As in any market, there are a lot of preferences. especially since no "home" team for Sask. The over 40 crowd is into the Flyers (history of Sask boys playing for them going back to Reggie Leach in the 1970s), the Hawks and the Bruins. Some like the Leafs. Not too much love out here for the Habs since they're from Quebec and, well, that's regionalism for you.

The under 40 crowd is mostly Oilers. I was raised in Regina and there are far more Oilers fans than Flames fans. After that it's the Jets, especially the younger you go. I think the appeal is based on the fact that when Winnipeg got a team back it showed the power of a re-booted economy and represented the boom in Prairie Canada. Getting the Jets back galvanized a lot of young people out here much the same as it did in Manitoba. Jets fans and Rider fans are pretty much the same in behaviour. Small market, passionate/crazy fan base.

I attend the U of S in Saskatoon and I'm (comfortably) surrounded by a plethora of Jets fans. In fact, the business school organizes annual trip to Edmonton for hockey games and is now considering a trip to Winnipeg since Jets so popular...only problem is that we can't get any damn tickets!

Honestly, Chipman could make another million dollars+ by shipping those green hats out here and sell them. People here have a Pavlovian response to the mighty green colour.
I am all for Saskatchewan cheering for the Jets!

But . . . Reggie Leach is a Manitoban.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reggie_Leach

Tkachuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:52 PM
bigplay41*
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41*
Can't really say I care about the CFL I'm a College Ball/NFL fan...would love to see the Jets brand grow in SK. Now if only TSN Jets were available for Sasktel customers it might grow faster

bigplay41* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 01:56 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

I have no problems with Saskatchewanians.

Aside from the CFL rivalry (which is in good spirits), people in both provinces are cut from the same cloth. I've spent time in a lot of Canadian cities and nowhere are people friendlier than in Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Sabadecade
LOGE Baby!

I've seen some camo Jets hats, I'd be in the market for a blaze orange hunting themed Jets hat! That would be cool!

Sabadecade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 02:57 PM
PaperRockChamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabadecade View Post
I've seen some camo Jets hats, I'd be in the market for a blaze orange hunting themed Jets hat! That would be cool!
They would mass-produce two. One for you and one for Bogo.

Also, NFL sucks. It's a fact that absolutely cannot be disputed whatsoever. You can try, but you will know deep down that you are lying to yourself as well as the rest of the people reading your drivel.

PaperRockChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 06:18 PM
ghost88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpggrown View Post

Also, NFL sucks. It's a fact that absolutely cannot be disputed whatsoever. You can try, but you will know deep down that you are lying to yourself as well as the rest of the people reading your drivel.
Lmao... Don't get me wrong, I hate both leagues... but the CFL and the Bombers are a joke.

How pathetic is it that a team can't win the Grey Cup in over 20 years? I mean... how hard is it to make the playoffs in the CFL? Don't finish DEAD LAST in your division.

I mean hell, the Bombers finished 3-7 and still got the first seed lmao. You think ever 10 years or so they'd make eventually trip over themselves to win a grey cup. Yet somehow this organization shows every year just how inept they are (the stadium gaffe is just yet ANOTHER example). We really have losing down to a science.

You make a good point though, the NFL should adopt some CFL ideas:

1.) have a longer regular season
2.) have 75% of the teams in the league make the playoffs

That'll just make the long regular season even more exciting.

ghost88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 06:22 PM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Quote:

notsureifserious.jpeg

yeah.. it sucks so bad that 4th receivers in the nfl make one handed grabs in corners of the endzone while the cfl's best cant catch a ball on the numbers....

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:00 PM
Congo Jack
Get lost Pavarotti!

Uhmm...I cheer for the jets......and the Riders....I kinda want that hat....

Congo Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 09:03 PM
Congo Jack
Get lost Pavarotti!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
That's awesome

It's a mixed bag. Mainly Canadian teams (obviously) but there are still quite a few who cheer for American teams. For example, where I live there are quite a few Wild fans.

Congo Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2012, 10:08 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

Quote:

I'm guessing you don't watch football.

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 01:34 AM
Gm0ney
Way down in the hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost88 View Post
Lmao... Don't get me wrong, I hate both leagues... but the CFL and the Bombers are a joke.

How pathetic is it that a team can't win the Grey Cup in over 20 years? I mean... how hard is it to make the playoffs in the CFL? Don't finish DEAD LAST in your division.

I mean hell, the Bombers finished 3-7 and still got the first seed lmao. You think ever 10 years or so they'd make eventually trip over themselves to win a grey cup. Yet somehow this organization shows every year just how inept they are (the stadium gaffe is just yet ANOTHER example). We really have losing down to a science.

You make a good point though, the NFL should adopt some CFL ideas:

1.) have a longer regular season
2.) have 75% of the teams in the league make the playoffs

That'll just make the long regular season even more exciting.
Well, to be fair to the Bombers, they've been in the Grey Cup a few times since their last win, but have run into some bad luck - twice they've had to rely on the worst backup QB available in pro football to lead them (Dinwiddie, Garza) and what happened in the 2001 game?

The NFL is certainly a slicker package, but the game has some major drawbacks. I'd add "Adopt the 20 second play clock" to your list of suggestions to make the NFL better...but that might cut into precious Bud Light ad time.

Anyway, I think part of the CFL's problem is that it's too similar to the NFL. Too easy to point at the glaring deficiencies. Look at Australian Rules Football - I don't know what's going on, but it looks like fun and the Aussies are crazy about it. The CFL lives in the shadow of both hockey as the national passion and NFL as its similar but better looking and more talented brother. It also doesn't help that Toronto doesn't give a flying rat's fig about the CFL. The game is big in the West and growing in Quebec, but folks in the Big Smoke seem to prefer American-style football.

And just to keep it on topic...no, I wouldn't personally be interested in a Rider-themed Jets hat.

Gm0ney is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 08:46 AM
PaperRockChamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogosian View Post
notsureifserious.jpeg

yeah.. it sucks so bad that 4th receivers in the nfl make one handed grabs in corners of the endzone while the cfl's best cant catch a ball on the numbers....
No idea why I chose to troll (and weakly) yesterday..

Your post made me think of Kamau (sp?) Peterson haha.

NFL is bigger, and the players are obviously better.

I have a preference of 3 down football vs. the nfl's Run,Run,Pass,Punt.

Then again, alot of the time the CFL is Run,Pass,Punt.

Personally, I have tried, especially since the lockout in '04.. I can't get into the NFL. I have seen some good games. Some awesome moments (Like when Davis caught the late TD vs N.O., running to sidelines with tears and coach gave him a hug..feel-good chicken soup type moment) and I know it's the USA's "hockey".. Just a preference for the rivalries between CDN cities, and probably Fri night games.

PaperRockChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2012, 09:34 AM
Yukon Joe

NFL is objectively "better", in that the players are much more talented, and the production values both on field and from the tv broadcasts are much higher.

That being said... CFL is our home town. They have a terrific history (it's the 100th Grey Cup this year), games are affordable and fun to attend.

Saskatchewan is a lovely province with lovely people - except on Labour Day when it's population is suddenly all inbred hick rednecks.

Yukon Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2012, 07:40 PM
razorsedge
West Town Sports

Fantasy Football is what got me hooked on the NFL. I've actually become more of an NFL fan then a CFL fan now. I like the 4 downs better which creates longer drives, where the as the CFL is so overloaded with 2 and outs, it gets painful. Plus why award a point for missing a field goal?

Anyways, anybody that wants to give fantasy football a try, i'm taking over a league geared for new players. Trust me, it'll change your life!

razorsedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 02:25 AM
Reed Solomon
GO ✈'s GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE RANDESKOGAH View Post
Uhmm...I cheer for the jets......and the Riders....I kinda want that hat....
I've seen them at the Hat store at the mall here in Winnipeg. I'd be surprised if they weren't selling them in Saskatchewan somewhere.

Reed Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2012, 11:39 AM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

I don't understand the CFL vs NFL thing.

It reminds me a little of MLS vs Premier League.

All of the European leagues boast much better quality of play but that doesn't mean that people in NA should not watch their leagues games. It also doesn't mean that people in NA have to suddenly stop watching Premier League soccer on the weekends.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote