HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

East Game 3 or Champions League Final

Old
05-18-2012, 11:51 PM
Knighthammer

vCash: 500
Switching between both (and the Jays of course). Although, Champions should be in quotations because Chelsea and Munich didn't win their respective leagues last season

Knighthammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 12:49 AM
Dirty Dan
Saturday Night Lupul

Huh? didn't man city just win the EPL? in that case what the hell are chelsea doing at this tourny>

Dirty Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 12:58 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dan View Post
Huh? didn't man city just win the EPL? in that case what the hell are chelsea doing at this tourny>
It's the Champions League not the EPL...

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 01:03 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Burrows View Post
Tomorrow is going to be the first time I ever watch a soccer match instead of a hockey game.

These playoffs have just been too dull. And Man City's win last weekend has awakened the footy beast within me.
Don't go into it expecting every game to be so exciting. What made the ManC situation so thrilling was not only the comeback but all the other games played at the same time that mattered too. You had one eye on Manchester City, one on United, Bolton, Newcastle, Tottenham and Arsenal. Not only is the title at stake but 3 other UCL spots, a UEL berth and 3 teams that will be relegated.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 01:04 AM
76ftw

vCash: 1907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Dan View Post
The top four teams in the EPL from 2010-2011 made it to this tournament. Chelsea, despite all their shortcomings in England, are in the finals and were in fact the only English side really close this year. Bayern didn't win the German league either, but they qualified. The two things (domestic and cup) are totally unrelated other than who qualifies.

Interestingly, the only way Chelsea can qualify for next years CL is if they win today. They finished 6th in the EPL, though they did win the FA Cup which is England's top cup after the Premier League Title!

76ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 01:08 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

What made the UCL beautiful in years past was how a team like Nottingham Forest can go on and win it 2 years in a row. It was truly a path for Cinderella teams. With that said, the UCL wasn't always the premiere tournament in Europe and the powers that be weren't always the juggernauts we know them as now. As the world shrunk with the growth of technology teams from the larger, sexier cities gained more notoriety and made more money. There still lies the possibility for a team like APOEL to win it but the mountain is quite daunting.

ChipAyten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 01:51 AM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ftw View Post
The top four teams in the EPL from 2010-2011 made it to this tournament. Chelsea, despite all their shortcomings in England, are in the finals and were in fact the only English side really close this year. Bayern didn't win the German league either, but they qualified. The two things (domestic and cup) are totally unrelated other than who qualifies.

Interestingly, the only way Chelsea can qualify for next years CL is if they win today. They finished 6th in the EPL, though they did win the FA Cup which is England's top cup after the Premier League Title!
Jesus. How many freaking championships do they play for in a given month?

I much prefer our system of one championship per sport per year. That way there's no confusion about which team was best in a given year. There's a single champion.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 02:00 AM
HH
GO HABS GO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post

I much prefer our system of one championship per sport per year. That way there's no confusion about which team was best in a given year. There's a single champion.
There is a champion for the league, the champion of Europe and the cup winners for each country. Not exactly confusing if you follow the sport.

HH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 02:03 AM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

Soccer over playoff hockey? Yea...no.

Even if it wasn't playoff hockey, I'll take the regular season hockey over any soccer.

Devilsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 02:13 AM
Zuluss

Recording Rangers @ Devils, watching the soccer live.
Not a question of priorities, just the amount of pauses and breaks in hockey and soccer broadcasts. A hockey game is 60 min, a soccer game is 90 min, but a soccer game usually takes less time to watch if you watch it live. Go figure.

Zuluss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 02:27 AM
TheUnseenHand
Hashbrown Selfie

Well, me having almost no interest in soccer besides the World Cup, and being a Devils fan, it's obviously going to be the hockey game. In fact, I'd pretty much watch any hockey at any level over any soccer at any level.

That said, if I had to choose between any soccer game and the NBA finals or the world series, I'd definitely watch the soccer.

TheUnseenHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:09 AM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

Let me think about it... I am from Munich, Bayern Munich is my favorit sports club so I think I will cheer for these guys:

Auf geht's Ihr Roten!

Arpi3080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:16 AM
NMF78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Karp View Post
No, that's the EPL and it wasn't a championship game. Man City clinched the league with the win. It's like clinching the President's Trophy at the end of the year.
Bad comparison.

The premier league is a domestic competition, the champions league an international competition. Both matter, President's trophy matters very little.

For the big English clubs the importance is like this: Champions League -> Premier League -> FA Cup -> Europa League

NMF78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:16 AM
LSnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfan92 View Post
Soccer over playoff hockey? Yea...no.

Even if it wasn't playoff hockey, I'll take the regular season hockey over any soccer.
Well its basically "superbowl" vs boring rangers team and jersey that dont care at all about Might watch both games same time if Kings played..

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:44 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
I've tried to get into soccer on the other side of the pond, but my enjoyment of the skill on display is regularly tarnished by my disgust with the conduct of the fans, the degree to which refs appear intimidated, and the fact that the skill of diving and acting is just as much on display as actual football skill. That and it's always the same damn teams every year - I get enough of that with college football, and tolerate it only 'cause my family consists of three generations' worth of Buckeyes.

I'll stick to MLS, thanks. It may not be as talented, but at least it's not as screwed up. (Admittedly, tho, not for lack of trying.)
You mean those minorities that usually make the majority look bad?

Also, you complain about the same damn teams each year - you watch NHL and MLS and they have the same teams every year. If you mean winning wise, that's barely true now either.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 05:50 AM
Jeepers Creeper

vCash: 50
Both. Hockey on my laptop, the CL final on TV.

Jeepers Creeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 06:20 AM
Shoalzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLabel View Post
Both. Hockey on my laptop, the CL final on TV.

Yeah...that or just DVR the other game and watch it later.

Shoalzie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 07:03 AM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

i hate soccer but quite frankly it has a much greater appeal than any NYR game.

Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 07:06 AM
RedBruin

Quote:

Yeah I don't think AHL or OHL teams compete for the Stanley Cup.

RedBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 07:13 AM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBruin View Post
Yeah I don't think AHL or OHL teams compete for the Stanley Cup.
Of course not. They are all competing for their respective league titles - of which there is one per year.

You don't have the same team competing for 15 different championships every year.

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 07:24 AM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
The North American TV audience for the Champions League final will probably be higher than for the hockey game.
subtract the probably, I have no doubt that it'll be bigger then the Game 3 audience. The question is just at what kind of multiple.

I know I'll be watching the Champions League.

Talk about a total scheduling fail by the NHL.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 07:43 AM
RedBruin

Quote:
Of course not. They are all competing for their respective league titles - of which there is one per year.

You don't have the same team competing for 15 different championships every year.
You just said there was only one championship for the sport, while there are plenty of other hockey leagues who have their own champions, not all hockey teams compete for the same championship. Exactly like, you know, in soccer. Except the best 1-4 teams from each league get to participate in a tournament to determine who's the best on the continent. I fail to see what's confusing about that.
Are you confused everytime the Olympics come up as well because OMG the same players are now competing for a different trophy ?

Old
05-19-2012, 08:04 AM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
You mean those minorities that usually make the majority look bad?

Also, you complain about the same damn teams each year - you watch NHL and MLS and they have the same teams every year. If you mean winning wise, that's barely true now either.
I admit that's mostly an EPL complaint, but quite a valid one. After all...

Has Manchester United ever finished lower than 3rd overall in the Premier League? Didn't think so. (Number of times they've fallen that far: Three seasons out of 20 - 01-02, 03-04, 04-05. Every other season, they're either the champion or runner-up.)

This year, in a historic moment, only two of the Big Four (Chelsea/Arsenal/Liverpool/ManU) finished in the top 4. When was the last time that happened? 1995-1996?

Then there was that four season period from 2005 to 2009 in which the Big Four were the only teams finishing in the top 4...

Haven't researched the other leagues as well but I'm quite aware Real Madrid ain't much better in that regard. As far as I'm concerned, the Champions League exists only because watching the same clubs win their national leagues every single year is boring as all hell.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 08:35 AM
RedBruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post

Haven't researched the other leagues as well but I'm quite aware Real Madrid ain't much better in that regard. As far as I'm concerned, the Champions League exists only because watching the same clubs win their national leagues every single year is boring as all hell.
The Champions Cup exists since the 50s. As far as the re-branding into "Champions League" is concerned, first and foremost it's because the format is a cash cow, not that this reason would be any better than your guess. I'm not sure the powers really care that some national competiton is, allegedly, boring. I find the CL to be way more boring than the top national leagues to be honest. And as someone who's pretty much just as passionate about hockey as about soccer I don't find the EPL to be more or less exciting than the NHL, mainly because, (and I hope I don't come across as a condescending Richard) what many fans from the US who didn't grow up with the sport and league format fail to understand, there are other goals than just winning the title which are equally important to the teams involved. If you're a Wolves fan you couldn't care less who wins, your team is battling relegation (and failing miserably in the end). When you're a Man United fan you probably know that there's no way under normal circumstances for your team to finish outside the top 4, yeah, except it doesn't matter because there's only the first place or total failure, whether you're gonna finish in 6th or 10th is irrelevant.
Most leagues are rather predictable compared to the NHL, yeah, in a way that you can at least predict more or less which teams are gonna be at the top, which in the middle and which at the bottom. Mainly because there's no salary cap. As far as the games being predictable, well, if that was the case the bookies wouldn't be making as much cash as they do with the EPL.

btw check out the champions from the Scottish Premier League the last team not named Celtic or Rangers to win must've been Aberdeen... at some point in the early 80s

Old
05-19-2012, 08:42 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 900
Watching Bayern Munchen vs Chealsea or watching Rangers hockey? Now that's a really hard choice. Give me ECL finals any day of the week.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote