HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs Playing in Memorial Cup: Finals on Sunday, Tinordi vs. Bournival + Ellis

Old
05-20-2012, 06:55 AM
BlackStar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD View Post
Just like Subban right?

I know I'm in the minority, but I think Beaulieu is a better prospect than Subban was at the same age, let alone Tinordi.. Tinordi's a keeper as well though.
Every sane person would agree with you. So yes, on this board, you are in the minority.

BlackStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:08 AM
Prendan Brust

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
He's not overmatched physically like Pyatt was. And he's even more blazing fast, and has bigger offensive upside due to the size/speed thing than Pyatt had.

Still that O'Byrne deal for Pyatt is probably my least favorite of Gauthiers moves...
Pyatt was part of the Gomez deal.

Prendan Brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:49 AM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Just like Subban right?

I know I'm in the minority, but I think Beaulieu is a better prospect than Subban was at the same age, let alone Tinordi.. Tinordi's a keeper as well though.
He is ahead of Tinordi at the same age, but Subban? Maybe slightly more rounded, but Subban was better offensively. Then came his breakout OHL season in 08-09 and his unreal rookie AHL season the following season. The bulk of Subbans progression came in year 2 & 3 after being drafted. Subban is one if the most determined and hard working players out there.

Beaulieu's game is going to have to grow drasticly in the next two years for him to maintain ground on Subbans development curve. Its not impossible, but Im not sure Beaulieu has the same work ethic Subban does.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:32 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony View Post
Pyatt was part of the Gomez deal.
I know, obviously I meant Bournival since that was who I was talking about. My Bad.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:36 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Just like Subban right?

Beaulieu seems to be more hyped than Subban at the same age, might be the first/second round thing. But at the same time, Subban would be a best case for Beaulieu. He's got a similar unreal set of tools, but he's a disaster sometimes turning the puck over, taking unnecessary risks, in his own zone etc and would have to clean those issues up in a major way like Subban has.

I really prefer Tinordi. He doens't have the 50 point a year upside that Beaulieu has, but he has 30 points a year upside, while being a monster defensively and leader/captain type, and his floor is not much less than that.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 09:53 AM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Get rid of him!!11
I know we pile on that guy a lot, and it's fine to have your own opinion about prospects, but when he's going around spreading lies like Tinordi doesn't play on the PK(which we clearly saw he does last night), or he's terrible defensively(then how come he was on at the end of the game?). That's when it's okay to ridicule.

Aside from the bad ice, I think Saint John just beat themselves tonight. I think they came out trying to prove they were tough enough to play against the Knights and a WHL team and played stupidly. Huberdeau's first shift he takes an elbowing penalty, they were constantly cross checking, especially against those twins who didn't have to do anything to earn it tonight. The should just focus on their skill, don't get pushed around, but you don't have to initiate it either.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:51 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
I hate the Bruins but that's just wrong. Lucic scored 26 goals this season and 30 goals the year before. During that time period he also had about 15 scraps in both years and acquitted himself well in all of them. I don't like the guy, but to say he's an overrated punk is wrong.

56 goals in two years in more than anyone on Montreal has had total the past two seasons. In all honesty, a Lucic type player is exactly what we need.
Too often he looks like a moron during the playoffs. I watched teams get under his skin and he then turns into a liability more intent on trying to punch someone after the whistle than trying to win.

googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Protest the Hero

Any info on Ian Saab, for Saint John?

He was invited to Canucks camp last summer I believe but I don't think they offered him a contract, I can't find any info on him. He looks solid everytime I watch Saint John play. He's not Beaulieu, but handles the puck well for a guy with 164 PIM this season. Does he re-enter the draft, or could he be invited to camp this summer?

We'd probably have to skip on him anyway, already have 4 incoming rookie defencemen in Hamilton.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 03:01 PM
habsfanatics

I prefer Beaulieu over Tinordi by a fairly wide margin. I think Tinordi will struggle to be an everyday NHLer. He's got a lot of work to do, to me Beaulieu will be a top 4 dman almost definitely.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 03:35 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
He is ahead of Tinordi at the same age, but Subban? Maybe slightly more rounded, but Subban was better offensively. Then came his breakout OHL season in 08-09 and his unreal rookie AHL season the following season. The bulk of Subbans progression came in year 2 & 3 after being drafted. Subban is one if the most determined and hard working players out there.

Beaulieu's game is going to have to grow drasticly in the next two years for him to maintain ground on Subbans development curve. Its not impossible, but Im not sure Beaulieu has the same work ethic Subban does.
I see Beaulieu as being bigger, a better skater, having more poise with the puck, better deking ability, better at fighting, and having very similar things they need to work on(decision making, positioning, etc.). If we have a good coach I see no reason why Beaulieu can't continue to develop into a top flight defenseman.

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 04:14 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
I prefer Beaulieu over Tinordi by a fairly wide margin. I think Tinordi will struggle to be an everyday NHLer. He's got a lot of work to do, to me Beaulieu will be a top 4 dman almost definitely.
I don't think Tinordi will struggle that much. He'll probably get a few games in the NHL as of next yr and become a regular in 2 yrs time. He's definitely got the size. He can easily become a Hal Gill shut down D. He could also mirror Komisarek during his pre-Leaf years which is fine by me as long as he doesn't lose a crucial fight against Lucic.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 04:47 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
I see Beaulieu as being bigger, a better skater, having more poise with the puck, better deking ability, better at fighting, and having very similar things they need to work on(decision making, positioning, etc.). If we have a good coach I see no reason why Beaulieu can't continue to develop into a top flight defenseman.
They have similar talents and strengths and weaknesses. Subban has done a good job transfering his abilities to the big league and really rounding out his game in the process, the transition is not as easy for most players and it should not be discredited.

This is why when I hear people talk about Beaulieu being better than Subban, I take it with a grain of salt. It's not to say he can't be, but personally from what I've seen I just don't get that same 'gamer' vibe off Beaulieu as I always had with Subban. I see this same quality in Tinordi. Lets be honest here, a lot of people here are just basing their opinions on where each player was drafted ( not saying this is your approach, you seem to have actually followed him ), but to be honest if we look back at the 2007 draft, its not out of the question that Subban goes Top 5 knowing what we know today.

I still think Beaulieu will round into a Top 4 defenseman.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:32 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
They have similar talents and strengths and weaknesses. Subban has done a good job transfering his abilities to the big league and really rounding out his game in the process, the transition is not as easy for most players and it should not be discredited.

This is why when I hear people talk about Beaulieu being better than Subban, I take it with a grain of salt. It's not to say he can't be, but personally from what I've seen I just don't get that same 'gamer' vibe off Beaulieu as I always had with Subban. I see this same quality in Tinordi. Lets be honest here, a lot of people here are just basing their opinions on where each player was drafted ( not saying this is your approach, you seem to have actually followed him ), but to be honest if we look back at the 2007 draft, its not out of the question that Subban goes Top 5 knowing what we know today.

I still think Beaulieu will round into a Top 4 defenseman.
I agree with most of what you're saying, but all I am saying is that Beaulieu looks better to me(skillwise) at the same age, and has the potential to be better than Subban in the bigs.

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Rgolt

This thread really needs more traffic. I mean we have 4 prime prospects in this tournament, the Habs and Bulldogs both didnt make the playoffs, and not to mention its a prospects board.
Maybe we could do individual GDT's or something, but its really a shame theres not more discussion, especially with all the knowledgeable guys on the board

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:37 PM
NewHabsEra*

Much better game from Ellis so far..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:39 PM
Bob in Niagara

Guys we have 4 really great prospects playing in this tournament....let's be proud...we are the only team that can say that....who is better than who and who is more NHL ready? Who knows? They're all still young and need seasoning...but we have a lot to look forward to...that is for sure

Bob in Niagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:41 PM
Top Corner2

I have been impressed with all our guys so far....

What is quite amazing is that not only do we have 4 prospects playing in this tournament, they ALL play VERY important roles on their teams.

I'm hoping Ellis & Bournival can shake off some of the rust tonight.

Tinordi was beast all game last night. He is big strong & composed. He will be an NHLer for sure.

Beaulieau has tons of talent. He is fast & has great hands....but he still needs to figure out when to do what. If he is coachable (which he is supposed to be) then it shouldn't be a problem. I imagine he will need some seasoning (maybe 2 years) in the AHL.

Enjoy the games guys!

Top Corner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Chris Cutter
Devil's Advocate

I watched yesterday's game between St. John and London, I thought Tinordi had a pretty ordinary first period. He seemed to not be really moving defensively, kinda like standing there in his zone and he kept throwing the puck in a general direction hoping that one of his teammate would get the puck. But I found that as the game was progressing his game was getting better. He did some good plays using his size to cut angles around the blueline and using his body to break the play in the corners and it's reassuring to see him play so smart when his team is only leading by a goal. Also knows how to use his stick on the PK to cover the passing lane and eliminate the possibility of a play.

As for Beaulieu, I can see why people compare his style of play to Subban. He's a fluid skater and sure loves to create a rush by himself and trying to go end to end kind of like Subban in the AHL and the OHL. I didn't notice him do anything bad defensively and saw him use his wrist shot on the PP which made me happy. He got an assist but not necessarily one that displays his vision (just a pass to the point and a Sea Dog forward tipped it in front).

Chris Cutter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:49 PM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
Too often he looks like a moron during the playoffs. I watched teams get under his skin and he then turns into a liability more intent on trying to punch someone after the whistle than trying to win.
Did you watch him carry the cup around as well?

Beendair Donedat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:54 PM
Beendair Donedat

Tinordi did a great job blocking shots and helping kill off the 5 on 3.

Beendair Donedat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:55 PM
Rgolt

Anyone see Bournival get decked after his goal, big cheap shot by Watson

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:57 PM
bjac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beendair Donedat View Post
Did you watch him carry the cup around as well?
Well he can thank Thomas and his record setting save % for that. They were the most medeocre cup winners that I can remember.

bjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:04 PM

HOLY **** Trevor Timmins is a fawking boss.

68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:08 PM
Vi Nc E x13x

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
HOLY **** Trevor Timmins is a fawking boss.
I didnt get to see the interview what did he talk about?

Vi Nc E x13x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:09 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgolt View Post
Anyone see Bournival get decked after his goal, big cheap shot by Watson
Also saw bournival sell it like he got knocked unconscious. Should cut that out.

Also, where was the Timmins interview? What did he say?

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote