HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Eating crow on Salvador....happily

Old
05-17-2012, 09:21 AM
Ronnie Bass
elite pissy upside

vCash: 500
Awards:
Eating crow on Salvador....happily

Beginning of the year I wanted him off this team in the worst way, now I don't think we still be playing or even close to where we are, 1-1 in the ECF's and heading home without his services.

He's has been HUGE, almost Scott Stevens huge. My apologies for ever doubting you Sal.

Last edited by Ronnie Bass: 05-17-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Ronnie Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:27 AM
Lou's Koolaid
I live here

vCash: 50
Should be a masterton trophy candiate too! You go Salvador!

Lou's Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
onefatsurfer
I speak in code

I doubted he'd be as effective as he's been all season, after coming off such a massive injury. He is the ****ing man. Keep it up, Sal!

onefatsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
I'll admit it, I thought he was washed up after his concussion problems. I was upset when Lou got rid of White instead, but now I can't see how White would have ever contributed to the playoff run quite like this. I'm glad Lou knows more than I do, and kept Sal.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:28 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Bass View Post
Beginning of the year I wanted him off this team in the worst way, now I don't think we still be playing or even close to where we are, 1-1 in the ECF's and heading home.

He's has been HUGE, almost Scott Stevens huge. My apologies for ever doubting you Sal.
Same here.

I didn't see the need to have another grenade handler when we had the master of all masters signed for the next 4 years at a terrible cap hit and we just waived a guy that was with us for his entire career in White.

He's been our best SAH d-men in a very lonnnnnnng time and he's even contributed offensively for us at the most opportune time of the year.

I hope Lou will find a way to keep him around but like I said in a previous thread, Sal and his agent might play hardball knowing that his teamate, who's playing about 5 minutes less per game is earning about twice the money he'll get offered by Lou.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:30 AM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Considering how heralded his locker room leadership seems to be, and the way that Lou talks about him... I have high hopes that he'll be back next year.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:34 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
Same here.

I didn't see the need to have another grenade handler when we had the master of all masters signed for the next 4 years at a terrible cap hit and we just waived a guy that was with us for his entire career in White.
Didn't take long for you to take a swipe at Volch...

Pretty glad that Sal is making you look silly. I say "you" because of the years and years of posting totally ridiculous statements about our stay at home d-men.

Guaranteed when Sal's offensive form wears thin, you'll be the first to throw him straight back in the toilet.

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:35 AM
Devilsfan92
4 8 15 16 23 42

Delicious, delicious crow.

I assumed he would be a liability with having an entire year off, with the new direction we were heading, but he has proved us all wrong.

He's definitely up there for our Conn Smythe, I think. Our best d-man, both defensively and offensively, crazy to say, but it's true.

Hope he stays, I think he will, everyone seems to love him in the dressing room.

Devilsfan92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 09:44 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post
Didn't take long for you to take a swipe at Volch...

Pretty glad that Sal is making you look silly. I say "you" because of the years and years of posting totally ridiculous statements about our stay at home d-men.

Guaranteed when Sal's offensive form wears thin, you'll be the first to throw him straight back in the toilet.
You, getzo and Apice are either brain dead or you have me on ignore... one or the other.

I've said numerous times that you can't win if you have a team full of Mike Green's and you'll have a hard time winning if you have a team full of Volchenkov's. You need a mix of both and we had a surplus of SAH d-men's with no real offensive threat from the points.

Salvador missed a full year with a brain injury, not a shoulder injury, not a knee injury but a brain injury and for someone that plays a physical game, it was only normal to doubt the type of performances he'd give when returning to our team.

He's now doing everything that is asked from a SAH d-men. Protect the crease, lay the body, make a nice 1st pass to facilitate our breakouts, don't be "cute" with the puck and shoot towards the net when receiving a pass from your forwards who've been cycling down low for 25 seconds straight. Can't ask for anything more out of Salvador then what he's giving us atm.

If you thought he'd come back gunz a blazzing, more power to you, I didn't and I'm not scared to say I was 200% wrong.

Don't know if you and the others I've mentionned above can do the same

Edit: I'll take shots at Volchenkov until he proves me wrong, like Salvador did, and when or I should say, IF he proves me wrong... I'll be the 1st one to admit it but he's done nothing to convince me otherwise and to me, that contract just looks worse and worse by the second.

He's to us what Gomez is to Montreal IMO, in terms of performances versus salary/cap hit that is.

Old
05-17-2012, 10:02 AM
Richer's Ghost
You are reading this

vCash: 425
So bash everything that's not 100% perfect and feel justified? Great paradigm. Most of us prefer to simply point out the major flaws and support the team as a whole.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:05 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
So bash everything that's not 100% perfect and feel justified? Great paradigm. Most of us prefer to simply point out the major flaws and support the team as a whole.
So you can tell me with a straight face that you had no problem bringing back Salvador, who missed a entire year with a brain injury, over Colin White? Because that's basically the decision Lou took when waiving White.

Hail to the chief people

Most of you cheer with devils colored glasses, that's the difference between the majority and a handfull of posters on our board. I call a spade a spade and that's that. You either like it or you don't but I won't change my opinions about someones game because the majority of the team played well.

Supporting the team is not a issue for me since I actually pay a hefty package to watch all 82 games and I attend every single game played in Montreal so calling me out as a guy that doesn't support the team because I'm not in love with certain players is laughable IMO.

Last edited by DEVILS ALL THE WAY*: 05-17-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Old
05-17-2012, 10:07 AM
vikash1987

Sal has had his share of turnovers and bad bounces, but he does a good job of redeeming himself in subsequent shifts. An overall workhouse in our own zone, and a very pleasant surprise offensively.

I don't think Larry Robinson gets enough credit for what he has done to boost our D's performance (speaking overall).

vikash1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:07 AM
devilsblood

why is anyone hating on Volchenkov, who is a +5, and playing major minutes for a team that is 1-1 in the ECF?

Put the agenda aside for a minute.

devilsblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:10 AM
devilsblood

Quote:
So you can tell me with a straight face that you had no problem bringing back Salvador, who missed a entire year with a brain injury, over Colin White? Because that's basically the decision Lou took when waiving White.

Hail to the chief people
I had no problem with it. I mean losing White was something people were supposed to be upset about?

Old
05-17-2012, 10:15 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsblood View Post
I had no problem with it. I mean losing White was something people were supposed to be upset about?
He was one of our best defencemen last season under Lemaire, so I was definitely questioning the move at the time. But with the benefit of hindsight, I have a hard time thinking he would have done that under DeBoer's system. He's not mobile enough or good enough with the puck.

Old
05-17-2012, 10:19 AM
britdevil
Tea with milk...

Quote:
I call a spade a spade and that's that.
Yeah, a million times over.

As for calling me brain dead, you weren't on the ignore list before. But consider yourself on there now buddy.

Having an opinion is one thing, but pushing an agenda is another.

britdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:22 AM
devilsblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
He was one of our best defencemen last season under Lemaire. But I have a hard time thinking he would have done that under DeBoer's system. He's not mobile enough or good enough with the puck.

I kind of thought White's time here had run it's course. Maybe it's that he never lived up to my early hopes of him becoming the next Dano, maybe the game changed too much around him, maybe it was the eye, but I never thought of him as a shut down D-man.

Guy never played a full season either(again un-dano like). Not last year, not this year.

Old
05-17-2012, 10:24 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
If you didn't know posters were talking about White, you'd think we had Lidstrom back there. Ok, I'm exagerating over here but you get my drift.

I got alot of flack for bashing White in his last couple of years with us. The same type of flack I'm getting regarding Volchenkov and posters were calling me out cause I suggested that White might be bought because he had one year left and we had a surplus of SAH d-men.

With Tallinder still on the books for the next couple of years, we are kind of facing the same situation. We'll have Greene, Zidlicky, Volchenkov, Tallinder, Larsson with Fayne being a RFA and Salvador a UFA.

I know it's a longshot but my ideal scenario would be to resign Fayne, move Volchenkov and sign Salvador to half of the contract A-Train's earning atm but unfortunatly for me, I don't see it happening.

Old
05-17-2012, 10:25 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by britdevil View Post
Yeah, a million times over.

As for calling me brain dead, you weren't on the ignore list before. But consider yourself on there now buddy.

Having an opinion is one thing, but pushing an agenda is another.
Oh no, not the ol mighty ignore list... Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

So it's ok to say that Parise is playing awesome (for example) over and over again but pointing out the negatives in someone's game is tabou.... gotcha

Old
05-17-2012, 10:25 AM
I Hate Tie DOMI

White didn't even have a regular spot in the lineup in San Jose by the end of the year. He might struggle to find a NHL job next year. What a difference a year makes.

White might be out of the league and Salvador who was out of the league and written off proves to everyone he belongs. With that said I don't know if he is back next year with NJ. A lot of defenceman coming up, plus Tallinder back and only 7spots to fill, but he will have no issue finding somewhere to play in the NHL.

I Hate Tie DOMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 10:27 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Volchenkov is not going to be moved. He brings way too much to the PK and his physicality is necessary. You'd better believe the Rangers forwards are intimidated by him after what he did to Hagelin yesterday.

Old
05-17-2012, 10:27 AM
devilsblood

Quote:
If you didn't know posters were talking about White, you'd think we had Lidstrom back there. Ok, I'm exagerating over here but you get my drift.

I got alot of flack for bashing White in his last couple of years with us. The same type of flack I'm getting regarding Volchenkov and posters were calling me out cause I suggested that White might be bought because he had one year left and we had a surplus of SAH d-men.

With Tallinder still on the books for the next couple of years, we are kind of facing the same situation. We'll have Greene, Zidlicky, Volchenkov, Tallinder, Larsson with Fayne being a RFA and Salvador a UFA.

I know it's a longshot but my ideal scenario would be to resign Fayne, move Volchenkov and sign Salvador to half of the contract A-Train's earning atm but unfortunatly for me, I don't see it happening.
a)so u used to rip on white, but u wanted to keep him?

b)why are we talking trades and free agency? My ideal scenario is devils winning the cup and worrying about all the other stuff later.

Old
05-17-2012, 10:28 AM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

Watch the Flyers sign him in the off season

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dr Grant

Send a message via MSN to Dr Grant
Happy to say I've never been a Sal hater or doubter.

Dr Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
NJDevs26
Status quo

Quote:
why is anyone hating on Volchenkov, who is a +5, and playing major minutes for a team that is 1-1 in the ECF?

Put the agenda aside for a minute.
Major minutes? He's no better than fifth TOI among the top six and Larsson even got more time than him in a couple of games. The only scale Volch's minutes are major on is the Stu Bickel scale.

That said, why are certain people discussing offseason contract negotiations that may or may not happen while we're playing for a Stanley Cup?!

NJDevs26 is offline   Reply With Quote