HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Coming to the draft...hotel suggestions?

Old
05-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Power2ThePenguins

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Power2ThePenguins
Coming to the draft...hotel suggestions?

So I might be coming to the draft next month (long story on why it's a might...PM me if you're curious) to check out the festivities and meet up with a girl who has been my online friend for several years, as we've never met in person.

But there is a logistical issue. I am from Wilkes-Barre and will be traveling a few hours to come, probably by plane. I should also add that I don't drive (but am working on learning), so I won't be renting a car. I need to find a hotel that provides transportation to/from the airport as well as one that's nearby any public transit routes or within walking distance to the arena.

The Marriott and the Doubletree that are closest to the CEC are already fully booked, so there goes my first choice options. Sheraton at Station Square sounds nice, but the cheapest room available is $237 a night, and I'm kind of on a budget especially since the cheapest flight I found is $300 and something (there's no nonstop flights from the WB airport to Pittsburgh).

Ideas?

Power2ThePenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

There's a Days Inn on Banksville road, which literally will take you straight into downtown in about 5 minutes. Should be cheap/available. Don't know too many details though except it's there.

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 11:48 AM

Everything seems like its in walking distance in Pittsburgh. I'll be at the Hampton by the Sports Museum. Free parking and within walking distance to the CEC, Market Square, the Strip, whatever...

Does anyone know any open hockey skates I can get in that weekend?

#66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 11:52 AM
Jacob

I assume the Cambria Suites next to Consol is already booked?

I'd check the Hampton in the Strip.. That might be a 6-7 block walk to the CEC, though. Don't know how you'd get back to the airport.. bus or taxi I'd assume. Outside of that, there's some new hotels on the North Shore whose names escape me. They're all around PNC Park. One is a Hyatt, I think.

At some point in my lifetime it'd be great if there was a T-rail connection from downtown to the airport.

Jacob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Mondello
Makin' the scene...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I assume the Cambria Suites next to Consol is already booked?

I'd check the Hampton in the Strip.. That might be a 6-7 block walk to the CEC, though. Don't know how you'd get back to the airport.. bus or taxi I'd assume. Outside of that, there's some new hotels on the North Shore whose names escape me. They're all around PNC Park. One is a Hyatt, I think.

At some point in my lifetime it'd be great if there was a T-rail connection from downtown to the airport.
The 28 bus is very reliable, leaves every half hour or so from a number of stops downtown.

Mondello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 05:18 PM
jessb37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondello View Post
The 28 bus is very reliable, leaves every half hour or so from a number of stops downtown.
Last time we were in Pittsburgh, we flew in and took the bus downtown from the airport....It was very reliable and dropped us off right in front of our hotel (Wyndham)..Wasn't the greatest hotel, but it was downtown, and we had a tremendous view of river/incline/Point Park....
If you are on a budget, your best bet might be to stay at/near the airport at a place that has shuttle...You can then ride back/forth from hotel to airport and then take bus into the city...There are some nice hotels around the airport that won't set you back too much...There is also a Hyatt on the airport grounds...
You might also look into Holiday Inn Express across river from downtown...There aren't too many cheap options downtown unless you want to use Priceline...

jessb37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 06:56 PM
SuburbanRhythm
ThorntonSezNoHittin

Also might check out the Courtyard on Penn Ave

Walking distance it's about 8 blocks from the arena, so not terrible, plus pretty certain they have vans. Whether those vans would transport you to and from the arena for the draft...no idea

Depending on the cost of the hotels nearby, you might be best served staying a little further out and paying for a cab. To get to the arena each day, have your hotel call you a cab. Leaving each night, cabs are hard to find in Pittsburgh, but are always lined up at the Omni Willian Penn, about 4 blocks from the arena.

SuburbanRhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 01:40 PM
DockEllisExperience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
In our lifetime? Took them 4 years to get under the Allegheny, we'd probably be waiting till 2080 for them to get all the way to the airport.

Apparently they already have 28 million of the estimated 1.6 - 3.75 billion they need to build it....

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/...-grant-357284/

DockEllisExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 02:01 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kopperlis123 View Post
Everything seems like its in walking distance in Pittsburgh.
[img]http://www.*****************.com/article/today/act.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.*****************.com/article/today/lk.jpg[/img]
Not really. It's actually kind of spread out if you think about it. I mean if you stay some where Downtown it would be pretty easy to get around.

I wish there was a metro some where near South Side. Make life so much easier for me when I want to go downtown.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 03:29 PM
Mr Jiggyfly

Stay at the Hampton on McKnight. It is in an ideal location and isn't as much as a downtown hotel, about $175 a night. It is at the beginning of McKnight road, which is usually busy because it is a heavy shopping distict. But this hotel is on the outskirts of McKnight road going inbound to town, so the traffic is minor.

http://hamptoninn3.hilton.com/en/hot...KHX/index.html

It is outside of town, but just barely. Buses run straight to town from McKnight.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-24-2012, 03:49 PM
Beauner
Bye Bye Bylsma

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXile59 View Post
Not really. It's actually kind of spread out if you think about it. I mean if you stay some where Downtown it would be pretty easy to get around.

I wish there was a metro some where near South Side. Make life so much easier for me when I want to go downtown.
There's one at Station Square. Not exactly South Side but fairly close..

Beauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 03:43 PM
OfWolfAndMan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 506
I'm staying at the Quality Inn University Centre - got a friends and family discount for the chain, and this one was closest so only paying 50$ a night.

Question though - this hotel is located in Oakland. Can anyone in Pittsburgh tell me how safe it is to walk to the arena? I was thinking of walking to and from Consol, so was going to walk up Halket to Fifth Ave, then straight across Fifth Ave.

Is this a safe area to walk around 10pm?

OfWolfAndMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2012, 08:57 PM
SuburbanRhythm
ThorntonSezNoHittin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TribalPhoenix View Post
I'm staying at the Quality Inn University Centre - got a friends and family discount for the chain, and this one was closest so only paying 50$ a night.

Question though - this hotel is located in Oakland. Can anyone in Pittsburgh tell me how safe it is to walk to the arena? I was thinking of walking to and from Consol, so was going to walk up Halket to Fifth Ave, then straight across Fifth Ave.

That's going to be a pretty hefty walk...especially if it's typical late June Pittsburgh weather: 80's and nasty humid.

And the arena itself isn't that bad...but the area of Uptown you'd pass through from Oakland to the arena...you might be OK, but it's mainly rundown/boarded up storefronts...I'm not sure I'd do it.

Take the bus from Oakland to the arena and back. $2.50 each way, probably about a 10 minute ride.

Old
06-03-2012, 10:01 PM
letsgopens58

Quote:

You absolutely DO NOT want to walk this route. I stayed at this hotel for game 4 of the SCF in '09 and ended up walking back from the arena around 11pm. I was offered drugs to buy drugs twice and stalked/shadowed by this creepy dude the entire way. I only wish I had something to protect myself with. It was my own stupid fault because I did zero research about the area but I certainly wouldn't do it again. Pay for a cab, bus but definitely don't hoof it through there.

letsgopens58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 12:20 PM
OfWolfAndMan
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 506
Wow! Great feedback guys, much appreciated. I think I'll just do it by cab... I'd imagine there are going to be a decent number outside the arena when the draft is going on. I'd consider just driving down, but not sure how much I love the idea of paying for parking. Should only be a 10$ cab ride.

Thanks again!

OfWolfAndMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 12:47 PM
rk50

Cab? In Pittsburgh...? Better plan something else.

rk50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 01:07 PM
SuburbanRhythm
ThorntonSezNoHittin

Quote:
Wow! Great feedback guys, much appreciated. I think I'll just do it by cab... I'd imagine there are going to be a decent number outside the arena when the draft is going on. I'd consider just driving down, but not sure how much I love the idea of paying for parking. Should only be a 10$ cab ride.

Thanks again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk50 View Post
What he said

Getting a cab at your hotel shouldn't be hard...I imagine you can get the front desk to call for you.

From the arena back...you'd need to walk about 4 blocks, opposite direction of Oakland, towards the Omni William Penn hotel. Cabs are lined up there, but that's one of the few places in Pittsburgh you'll find one

Old
06-04-2012, 03:26 PM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanRhythm View Post
What he said

Getting a cab at your hotel shouldn't be hard...I imagine you can get the front desk to call for you.

From the arena back...you'd need to walk about 4 blocks, opposite direction of Oakland, towards the Omni William Penn hotel. Cabs are lined up there, but that's one of the few places in Pittsburgh you'll find one
And just an FYI, I've heard that the OWP will be the NHL's base hotel for the week, so likely no rooms and tough to cab from this spot. But if you're looking to be a creep it might be a good spot to creep through ya buncha creeps.

IHWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Puckie09

Just saw this....check hotwire....that's what I used when I came to pittsburgh. Great prices and was close to CEC

Puckie09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2012, 11:07 PM
Power2ThePenguins

Send a message via AIM to Power2ThePenguins
Wow, I forgot I started this thread. Thanks for all the suggestions, but at this point, I don't think I'm going to be coming out. Things just aren't working out. But I appreciate the feedback...something to keep in mind if I make future plans to come out, as I submitted my name to volunteer at the Frozen Four next year.

Power2ThePenguins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 01:29 AM
metalan2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk50 View Post
This.

Do not call yellow cab unless you have two hours to wait. Classy cab, city cab, yellow cab. Just try them all and see which one shows up first.

metalan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2012, 05:52 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalan2 View Post
This.

Do not call yellow cab unless you have two hours to wait. Classy cab, city cab, yellow cab. Just try them all and see which one shows up first.
Exactly. Unless you have a specific cabby on speed dial you are waiting.

My brother use to cab, and my cousin was the dispatcher years ago. Rent a car for the day and make sure you have a Garmin with you that's updated. Less time wasted and the parking fee shouldn't be anymore than say $20.00, small price for freedom of not relying on others. If I went and had to fly, this is what'd I do.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote