HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Slovan Bratislava 2014/2015 season talk

Old
04-02-2014, 02:09 AM
alko

vCash: 500
Slovan Bratislava 2014/2015 season talk

I know we have still season 2013/2014. But for Slovan Bratislava fans it is already time to focus to next season.

From this day you can buy Season tickets (150 - 530 €).

And here is the actual roster -

G
???

D
Ján Brejčák, Patrik Luža, Vladimír Mihálik, Tomáš Mojžíš, Michal Sersen, Jonathan Sigalet, Martin Štajnoch

F
Martin Bakoš, Milan Bartovič, Mário Bližňák, Libor Hudáček, Andrej Kudrna, Richard Mráz, Peter Ölvecký, Miroslav Preisinger, Andrej Šťastný

alko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 03:18 AM
alko

And it beginns. Financial troubles in Slovan Bratislava are now official.

Old
04-03-2014, 06:28 AM
Exarz

vCash: 361
Quote:
Originally Posted by alko View Post
And it beginns. Financial troubles in Slovan Bratislava are now official.
Noo! I just hope they don't sign with Red Bull..

Exarz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 08:42 AM
Alessandro Seren Rosso
Hockey's Future Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Alessandro Seren Rosso Send a message via MSN to Alessandro Seren Rosso
Podhradsky signed a new deal with Donbass so he won't join Slovan

04-03-2014, 01:07 PM
BlueBratislava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exarz View Post
Noo! I just hope they don't sign with Red Bull..
For me as a Bratislavian, this is too simple. Bratislava has a lot of money in it to sponsor Slovan to be a TOP team. Where is the problem then? Export of profit. Our city is home to big corporations that make millions and billions € of pure profits. Every single one exports it to their home country without paying taxes or doing anything for the community. VW group, IBM, Microsoft, foreign banks (our banking sector is 100% privatized to foreign banks), T-Mobile/Deutsche Telekom, Orange, O2, nearby is Peugot, Samsung, or foreign-controlled electric and water companies. This is the nature of modern colonization, or in short EU. Our GM was on TV last night and said they are negotiating with partners outside of Slovakia and he is welcoming even more foreign people to work with the team. It's sad that our legendary club has to ask for foreign help, eventhough there is enough money in BA. But it is reality and our team is like a small town team with 80(!!!) different sponsors. I will support my team in good and bad, I remember a lot and I have to say that Slovan was always a part of our city and its soul. Our fans understand hockey and love good hockey, when the hockey is good they come-but they hate BS on the ice, and they will just ignore it.

BlueBratislava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 01:12 PM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBratislava View Post
It's sad that our legendary club has to ask for foreign help, eventhough there is enough money in BA.
Well, plenty of elite football clubs are owned by foreigners and pretty much everyone has foreign sponsors, that's because these clubs are of global importance. What's exactly the problem there? It's a rather good thing.

04-03-2014, 01:17 PM
BlueBratislava

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundAndFury View Post
Well, plenty of elite football clubs are owned by foreigners and pretty much everyone has foreign sponsors, that's because these clubs are of global importance. What's exactly the problem there? It's a rather good thing.
Yes, 100% true. But football is a game for billions of people worldwide and they only sponsor it for marketing. Hockey is a game for maybe 10 countries where it is done on a major level. You see the difference? Plus people who have not been to Bratislava and Slovan games don't know how much potential there is. First season in the KHL the demand for tickets was 35,000 which is more than 3 times our arena!

Old
04-03-2014, 01:38 PM
SoundAndFury

Quote:
Yes, 100% true. But football is a game for billions of people worldwide and they only sponsor it for marketing. Hockey is a game for maybe 10 countries where it is done on a major level. You see the difference? Plus people who have not been to Bratislava and Slovan games don't know how much potential there is. First season in the KHL the demand for tickets was 35,000 which is more than 3 times our arena!
Yeah, obviously there is the difference but if T-Mobile or O2 were willing to sponsor Bayern and Arsenal, why shouldn't they be interested in sponsoring Slovan? The only difference is that if Bayern or Arsenal were probably paid close to 10 million euros per year, Slovan would be paid much less since he's is much less relevant. But the principle remains, only the cost differs.

SoundAndFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 02:04 PM
Ivan94

Quote:
Yeah, obviously there is the difference but if T-Mobile or O2 were willing to sponsor Bayern and Arsenal, why shouldn't they be interested in sponsoring Slovan? The only difference is that if Bayern or Arsenal were probably paid close to 10 million euros per year, Slovan would be paid much less since he's is much less relevant. But the principle remains, only the cost differs.

bayern münchen gets 27M per season from T-Mobile for the .T... on the jersey.

Ivan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2014, 03:30 PM
BlueBratislava

Quote:
T-Mobile is a german company and they sponsor a team from Germany. Same for O2 and UK. The phones and services they offer in Slovakia cost more than in Germany, because through making profits in the poorer countries they can subsidize their prices in Germany, and then obviously they have money left for sponsorships of things but only on their home market. This is the biggest hypocrisy of the EU model in Central and Eastern Europe and privatization that happened here. Back before Slovak Telecommunications were sold to Deutsche Telekom they sponsored sports...same for banks, oil refinery business, electrical company, water company, natural gas company etc. etc. So the football and hockey league had a very good quality even on international level.
Those companies are in Slovakia to make pure profit and give nothing back, that's why they don't care about Slovan and they don't realize how much their public profile would go up if they let's say gave 2M € to Slovan per year. This sponsorship would do a better PR (for much less money) than their idiotically stupid low IQ TV commercials. If I knew how the privatization to foreigners would go, then I would be strongly against it. I am not against EU, but the EU is too weak to set up a fair-play condition in all of Europe.

Old
04-04-2014, 02:52 AM
Vicente

It is completely irrelevant where a sponsor comes from. Companies will always sponsor in areas where they feel they can make profit.

Look at German Telekom who are heavily sponsoring in all kinds of US Sports like baseball, hockey or football. They reach 96% of American customers which makes it a good market for them.

If Slovakia is a good market for a German company they will sponsor teams from Slovakia (of course with an amount that justifies it).

BTW: O2 are one of the biggest sponsors in Germany despite being a foreign company. They sponsor the hockey arenas in Hamburg and Berlin for example (also the hockey arena in Prague). And they sponsor many other sports events like running.

PS: Actually funny that T-Mobile is mentioned. They only sponsor Bayern in a desperate attempt to regain customers. They lost a huge portion of their market share over the last decade.

Vicente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2014, 09:19 AM
Mikey09

I hear about Rok Ticar and Ziga Jeglic. Can somebody tell me if it is true? My source can't confirmed/declined it, dont know why

Mikey09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 09:17 PM
loppa

Quote:
For me as a Bratislavian, this is too simple. Bratislava has a lot of money in it to sponsor Slovan to be a TOP team. Where is the problem then? Export of profit. Our city is home to big corporations that make millions and billions € of pure profits. Every single one exports it to their home country without paying taxes or doing anything for the community. VW group, IBM, Microsoft, foreign banks (our banking sector is 100% privatized to foreign banks), T-Mobile/Deutsche Telekom, Orange, O2, nearby is Peugot, Samsung, or foreign-controlled electric and water companies. This is the nature of modern colonization, or in short EU. Our GM was on TV last night and said they are negotiating with partners outside of Slovakia and he is welcoming even more foreign people to work with the team. It's sad that our legendary club has to ask for foreign help, eventhough there is enough money in BA. But it is reality and our team is like a small town team with 80(!!!) different sponsors. I will support my team in good and bad, I remember a lot and I have to say that Slovan was always a part of our city and its soul. Our fans understand hockey and love good hockey, when the hockey is good they come-but they hate BS on the ice, and they will just ignore it.
This is my favorite post that I have read in a long time. It sounds so realistic and symptomatic of stuff in general in Eastern Europe, not just hockey. I love how the post is so political yet so very relevant to hockey and the topic. It's beautiful really.
I was on a miserable forum where some stupid admin felt that politics must not be discussed with hockey, but your post proves just how beautiful and interconnected things are. Thank you, you made my day.

I unfortunately can't say much on the post in general, but man to me it sounds realistic and makes so much sense.

My question to all though is this...
...how was the second season compared to the first one? Was the team more or less popular? And how does going into the third season look compared to last year, going into the second season?

loppa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2014, 09:59 PM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 593
Quote:
First season in the KHL the demand for tickets was 35,000 which is more than 3 times our arena!
Have the ticket prices gone up for 2014/15? I saw €150-500-something above for season tickets. That seems really low, and if demand is 35K then the team could surely take considerably more for tickets. It will give bad press, but that is to be expected.

Darth Yoda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 03:07 AM
alko

Quote:
Originally Posted by loppa View Post
...how was the second season compared to the first one? Was the team more or less popular? And how does going into the third season look compared to last year, going into the second season?
Still very popular. Maybe a little bid lower than in first season, but still pretty high. They dont have any problem to sell out the arena for every game. They canceled this ******** with ticket auction, that pushed the price over the limit.
Third season? Hm, hard to say. There will be a lot of new players. That could be another plus. If Satan sign, if they bring some interesting players (Handzus ... ?), if the will play a little bit more offensive game, there will be no problem with media and fan attention.

Old
04-07-2014, 08:20 AM
BlueBratislava

Slovan was negotiating with Peter Oremus for the position of head coach, he is currently the head coach of HC Vitkovice in Czech Extraliga and is the assistant head coach of Slovakian National Team. He rejected them and signed a year extension with HC Vitkovice. After Vladimir Ruzicka from Slavia Prague, who rejected them and signed as head coach of the Czech National Team, this is the second coach they tried to get. I think it's pretty safe to say that our management wants a new style of play after 2 years of defensive hockey under Čada. I want the offensive and aggressive Slovan back!

Old
04-07-2014, 08:27 AM
BlueBratislava

Quote:
Originally Posted by loppa View Post

The team is always popular, they never go up or down in popularity IMO. The difference can only be the people who come from outside of Bratislava, and also Slovakia. I think the second season the people who came to games were more Bratislavians than the others, the first year I remember seeing people with different Slovakian accents (even eastern) and also Hungarians and Poles from Nowy Targ. The first year a lot of people came just to see the KHL, the second people came to see Slovan. That's how I would describe it.
The third season will be different, they are trying to get more foreign players, they are trying to get a new coach and they are negotiating with a new "foreign partner." I think this updated Slovan will be a good change and the season tickets will be a bit cheaper!

Old
04-07-2014, 11:05 AM
Mirinho

Quote:
The team is always popular ...
the big advantage for Slovan Bratislava is, that there isn't any other good sport club in Slovakia (other popular sports like soccer, basketball etc. are very weak in SVK) ... noone else is playing regulary in some european league (UEFA, VTB united league etc.) ... so Slovan doesn't have any competitor in slovakian medial and merchandise market.

Mirinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 02:16 AM
alko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirinho View Post
the big advantage for Slovan Bratislava is, that there isn't any other good sport club in Slovakia (other popular sports like soccer, basketball etc. are very weak in SVK) ... noone else is playing regulary in some european league (UEFA, VTB united league etc.) ... so Slovan doesn't have any competitor in slovakian medial and merchandise market.
Thats true. Specially with media (TV..). Its not unusual, that you see a 3 minutes spot about Slovan (also in off season) and about Slovak Extraliga only brief shots.

Old
04-08-2014, 02:28 AM
martin1983

Quote:
Thats true. Specially with media (TV..). Its not unusual, that you see a 3 minutes spot about Slovan (also in off season) and about Slovak Extraliga only brief shots.
I did not see anything about Slovan for a few days, last news I saw was about financial issues, but I saw that Juventa Michalovce won WHIL (slovak and czech handball league) or that Tatran Prešov won SEHA League and also Slovak Extra liga in one season..

Most news was about tennis, handball, nhl and soccer recently..

martin1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 02:11 AM
alko

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin1983 View Post
I did not see anything about Slovan for a few days, last news I saw was about financial issues, but I saw that Juventa Michalovce won WHIL (slovak and czech handball league) or that Tatran Prešov won SEHA League and also Slovak Extra liga in one season..

Most news was about tennis, handball, nhl and soccer recently..
I dont say its every day and on every channel. TA3 had it last week.

BTW. Its seems that Rastislav Stana will be the new goalie in Slovan. There are also rumours about 2 players from Slovenia - Rok Tičar and Žiga Jeglič.

Old
04-09-2014, 03:49 AM
Mikey09

Quote:
I dont say its every day and on every channel. TA3 had it last week.

BTW. Its seems that Rastislav Stana will be the new goalie in Slovan. There are also rumours about 2 players from Slovenia - Rok Tičar and Žiga Jeglič.

John Hughes from Villacher in EBEL is also rumoured

Mikey09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 07:37 AM
Domenica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey09 View Post
John Hughes from Villacher in EBEL is also rumoured
Probably because thanks to his partying he can't show his face in the EBEL anymore.

Domenica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2014, 03:04 AM
alko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domenica View Post
Probably because thanks to his partying he can't show his face in the EBEL anymore.
Tell us more, please.

Old
04-10-2014, 04:25 AM
jaco

Quote:
Tell us more, please.
He went out partying the night before game 4 of SF against Bolzano. VSV lost the game and the series as well.

As soon as the management of VSV got the information, they fired him. No one in EBEL will give him another opportunity.

http://www.ecvsv.at/vsv-zieht-option...ughes-zurueck/

jaco is offline   Reply With Quote