HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Next game: @ Tampa Bay | Wed May 23 @ 1pm ET/10am PT | R. Romero vs J. Shields

Closed Thread

Old
05-23-2012, 04:39 PM
Stats01

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet of Glennie View Post
You don't make impulse moves. That's what seperates management from the fans. Thames isn't dead weight, he's shown he can hit, and it's not like he's costing the Jays games in the field either. Davis has shown he doesn't do well when playing every day either.

Who would they get? Someone that more or less is a place holder till Gose or Marsinick come up. This team isn't going to win a world series this young anyway, why trade a prospect for an OK left fielder because you think it's an improvement. We're not going to get a Brett Gardner, a Matt Holiday, or a Ryan Braun. So in the end you're settling for Coco Crisp and paying a premium price when you shouldn't. Thames is fine for now.
I'm telling you though, fixing LF should take minutes and we're here taking years to solve that problem. Finding a corner outfielder shouldn't be this hard. Thames has mediocre to below average D and no bat. I'm not AA nor am I saying I can his job but these issues should've been solved beyond now. Having Snider injured all the time is killing this team. And why is having Thames in LF fine for right now. Is it ok to have a garbage LF'er when we're in the thick of things? I don't care if this team is ready now or a year from now, what you're telling me is we should just let Thames continue to botch plays and strike out while smiling all the time like life is good while the team continues to suffer.

Last edited by Stats01: 05-23-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old
05-23-2012, 04:54 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
I'm telling you though, fixing LF should take minutes and we're here taking years to solve that problem. Finding a corner outfielder shouldn't be this hard. Thames has mediocre to below average D and no bat. I'm not AA nor am I saying I can his job but these issues should've been solved beyond now. Having Snider injured all the time is killing this team. And why is having Thames in LF fine for right now. Is it ok to have a garbage LF'er when we're in the thick of things? I don't care if this team is ready now or a year from now, what you're telling me is we should just let Thames continue to botch plays and strike out while smiling all the time like life is good while the team continues to suffer.
And they're you're going again with advocating impulse moves. "fixing LF should take minutes...", that's impulse. Like I said, how do you fix it? There's not fixes in the minor leagues, and through trades the price is too expensive for what you're going to get. Would you be OK with trading Adeiny Hechavarria & Aaron Sanchez for a left field upgrade (That isn't an All-Star), because thats what it would cost.

Do you know the definition of "no bat"? It's not hitting .270 (Which Thames can consistenly hit when not in a cold streak, which you know, happens) with 10-20 homeruns. Thames isn't garbage, and you know what, Snider is likely going to do the same thing. Snider has no plate discipline either, and despite his hot starts when coming up, he never can keep it up.

Old
05-23-2012, 04:55 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

All I can say is that I wish Snider was healthy. Thames should be thanking his lucky stars. I said in the spring that Snider should have won the starting role and it's even more apparent now. God I hope recovers fast.

Old
05-23-2012, 04:58 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

on a side note Lind went 2 for 3 with a walk yesterday in AAA. He's hitting .500 in his 3 games there. Wonder if a good pitching coach helps a little.

Old
05-23-2012, 05:03 PM
Woodman19
#TeamBernier

Quote:
Originally Posted by dredeye View Post
on a side note Lind went 2 for 3 with a walk yesterday in AAA. He's hitting .500 in his 3 games there. Wonder if a good pitching coach helps a little.
Possibly, but im willing to bet the Hitting coach helps more

Old
05-23-2012, 05:16 PM
trellaine201

Quote:
All numbers are inflated at AAA, small fields? inferior pitching?

Old
05-23-2012, 05:22 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman19 View Post
Possibly, but im willing to bet the Hitting coach helps more
Man I'm really off my game today lol.

Old
05-23-2012, 05:23 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
All numbers are inflated at AAA, small fields? inferior pitching?
I know they are but it's crazy that he's magically hitting like hell immediately

Old
05-23-2012, 05:24 PM
Prophet Kadri

Quote:
I know they are but it's crazy that he's magically hitting like hell immediately
Small sample size and a MLB player hitting in AAA. Not that crazy.

Yan Gomes looks like he's a allstar in (around) 5 games with us.

Old
05-23-2012, 05:27 PM
Stats01

Quote:
And they're you're going again with advocating impulse moves. "fixing LF should take minutes...", that's impulse. Like I said, how do you fix it? There's not fixes in the minor leagues, and through trades the price is too expensive for what you're going to get. Would you be OK with trading Adeiny Hechavarria & Aaron Sanchez for a left field upgrade (That isn't an All-Star), because thats what it would cost.

Do you know the definition of "no bat"? It's not hitting .270 (Which Thames can consistenly hit when not in a cold streak, which you know, happens) with 10-20 homeruns. Thames isn't garbage, and you know what, Snider is likely going to do the same thing. Snider has no plate discipline either, and despite his hot starts when coming up, he never can keep it up.
Thames isn't hitting .270, so I'm not sure where you're getting that stat from. He's batting .246 with terrible D and has 3 HR's not 10-20. He'll be lucky to even hit 10-15 this season. One more time to get it through your head..Thames is garbage. Where are you getting a cold streak from. He's not on a cold streak, this is the player he is..where do you get any sort of evidence that tells you he's an everyday player? It's not an impulse move to improve your team lol Finding a LF'er shouldn't be hard it really shouldn't, but like I've said we've been searching for one for a few years now which is pretty sad.

Old
05-23-2012, 05:30 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Small sample size and a MLB player hitting in AAA. Not that crazy.

Yan Gomes looks like he's a allstar in (around) 5 games with us.
Maybe Gomes is an all star?

Old
05-23-2012, 05:31 PM
dirk41

Quote:
Than critisize him for plays that he could have made, not plays that are impossible for just about every left fielder in the league.

And who deserves to be up instead of Thames? A Travis Snider who can't play? A prospect who's not ready? A minor league outfielder who will certainly be worse than Thames?
Certainly worse than a -0.5 fWAR player?

Quote:
You don't make impulse moves. That's what seperates management from the fans. Thames isn't dead weight, he's shown he can hit
He's a mediocre hitter at best. 86 wRC+

Quote:
and it's not like he's costing the Jays games in the field either.
-34.2 UZR/150. That's second worst among qualified left fielders.

Old
05-23-2012, 05:31 PM
Prophet Kadri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Thames isn't hitting .270, so I'm not sure where you're getting that stat from. He's batting .246 with terrible D and has 3 HR's not 10-20. He'll be lucky to hit 20 this season. One more time to get it through your head..Thames is garbage. Where are you getting a cold streak from. He's not on a cold streak, this is the player he is..where do you get any sort of evidence that tells you he's an everyday player?
I'm beginning to agree with this. Metrics for Thames fielding have it saying that he's among the worst in the league of all corner outfielders at defense.

For a guy that barely has any value in his bat, Thames doesn't have time to develop into an MLB player while we are in the middle of a 2nd wildcard spot.

Old
05-23-2012, 05:33 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
I'm beginning to agree with this. Metrics for Thames fielding have it saying that he's among the worst in the league of all corner outfielders at defense.

For a guy that barely has any value in his bat, Thames doesn't have time to develop into an MLB player while were in the middle of a 2nd wildcard spot.
He's a -0.5 WAR, which was second last before Lind went down to Triple AAA. Lind I believe had a -0.7 WAR. Thames is a negative player on this team, Glennie boy can sugar coat it all he wants but the numbers speak for themselves. What frustrates me is whenever I bring up improving the club by maybe making a trade, I hear all this stuff about not trading our high end prospects and being "impulsive. Getting rid of players that are trash is not being impulsive it's being smart, I don't like to hear that we are just accepting his bad play because there are no other options. AA and company have a lot of work to do.

Closed Thread