HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Chicago-Carolina

Old
05-22-2012, 11:30 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Chicago-Carolina

Chicago
No. 47 overall

Carolina
No. 18 overall
Frolik
Montador

This deal expands on an earlier idea of mine of helping the Hawks gain cap space while helping Carolina get better, cheaper, shorter term options than if they went the UFA route as Florida did last year. Above the players, compensation is a swap of our 1st for San Jose's 2nd due to Montador's injury history. This deal may be too cutting edge and outside of the box for most but if you look at the benefits for each team, they are pretty damn impactful both now and in the future.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:34 AM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

vCash: 50
Why would Chicago do this?

If I'm reading this right, they're just giving up their first rounder?

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:36 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyManked View Post
Why would Chicago do this?

If I'm reading this right, they're just giving up their first rounder?
I'm assuming this is what it would take to get rid of Montador. If there is a market for him where we don't have to add a sweetener, obviously the Hawks should jump on that deal ASAP. But with his concussion issues, I don't think there is.

Old
05-22-2012, 11:40 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I'm assuming this is what it would take to get rid of Montador. If there is a market for him where we don't have to add a sweetener, obviously the Hawks should jump on that deal ASAP. But with his concussion issues, I don't think there is.
He got a concussion and came back early and got symptoms back

I wouldn't call it concussion issues

Seriously horrendous trade in all aspsects

Frolik contract isn't bad enough to warrant giving up alot of value to move it (With his falling salary it isn't that terrible of a deal) and Montador is fine bottom pairing dman

Also for the record Monty has a partial NTC so I doubt he would waive especially after just settling down in Chicago

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:40 AM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

vCash: 500
Why would Chicago do this? Why would they want to give up Frolik and Montador? Why not just put them in the AHL? If they are on a one-way deal then they get picked up by waivers.. this doesn't even seem right. Giving up a first and 2 roster players for a 2nd?

MillarWithASave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Toastman

uhh...what?

Toastman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:46 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

vCash: 1625
When did we acquire Scotty Gomez?

MurrayBannerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:49 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
He got a concussion and came back early and got symptoms back

I wouldn't call it concussion issues

Seriously horrendous trade in all aspsects

Frolik contract isn't bad enough to warrant giving up alot of value to move it (With his falling salary it isn't that terrible of a deal) and Montador is fine bottom pairing dman

Also for the record Monty has a partial NTC so I doubt he would waive especially after just settling down in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
Why would Chicago do this? Why would they want to give up Frolik and Montador? Why not just put them in the AHL? If they are on a one-way deal then they get picked up by waivers.. this doesn't even seem right. Giving up a first and 2 roster players for a 2nd?

Yeah, I knew the "the world is flat" crowd would be out in full force. Montador had a serious concussion last year in which he came back early and was not even close to the same player. Then he had one again this year, did the same thing and never came back. If you both have a proposal where the Hawks trade Montador and get something back rather than have to add a sweetener, I would like to hear it. Bowman needs to jump on it too.

Old
05-22-2012, 11:51 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

You haven't seen the guy play yet and don't know the full extent of the injury going into next season; however, you have come to the conclusion that he is beyond worthless. Real smart.

Old
05-22-2012, 11:53 AM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
Probably the most lopsided trade proposal I've ever seen.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:54 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Yeah, I knew the "the world is flat" crowd would be out in full force. Montador had a serious concussion last year in which he came back early and was not even close to the same player. Then he had one again this year, did the same thing and never came back. If you both have a proposal where the Hawks trade Montador and get something back rather than have to add a sweetener, I would like to hear it. Bowman needs to jump on it too.
Montador had played 70+ games 5 straight years until this past one ,,, So your claims of him having such a devastating concussion in past are a bit false are they not?

He suffered a concussion and then came back only to hit his head into Devil players shoulder (While playing F which was stupid to begin with)

Why does Bowman need to trade Montador? He is reliable veteran bottom pairing dman

We need defensive help not weakening our D

If Olsen is on Hawks fulltime which is a very real possiblity he will need a vet like Montador as his partner on bottom pairing going forward

How does dumping Montador help the Hawks? They have plenty of cap room and young players what they need is vets and depth something he provides without issue

Really your the only person who has said that Montador needs to go ,, And your reasoning is he suffered a concussion and had symptoms when he rushed back and was shut down for year

You realize that Toews suffered just as bad a concussion (His 2nd big one) ,, Should the Hawks dump Toews as well? Or Brent Seabrook who has been knocked unconscious by dirty hits twice already on ice

Old
05-22-2012, 11:56 AM
DoctrSteveBrule
BrooksOrpeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toastman View Post
uhh...what?
if toastman says "uhh...what?" you know something is wrong.

DoctrSteveBrule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 11:57 AM
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion

This is like one of those trades in NHL 12 where you're not finished yet but you accidentally hit submit trade.

Old
05-22-2012, 12:00 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
How does dumping Montador help the Hawks? They have plenty of cap room and young players what they need is vets and depth something he provides without issue

Really your the only person who has said that Montador needs to go ,, And your reasoning is he suffered a concussion and had symptoms when he rushed back and was shut down for year
A. This is the best free agent/potential trade market for stars in years. The Hawks need more cap space and need to close some major deals this offseason while the opportunity is there.

B. I fear Montador's concussion issues may force us to acquire another Oduya type where we give up more than we did in this deal.

Old
05-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
A. This is the best free agent/potential trade market for stars in years. The Hawks need more cap space and need to close some major deals this offseason while the opportunity is there.

B. I fear Montador's concussion issues may force us to acquire another Oduya type where we give up more than we did in this deal.
A - There are 2 Great FA (Suter and Parise) ,, Outside of that this years FA is weak. 2014 FA is gonna be the big one

B - Montador has been our #5/6 all year ,, He isn't the reason Hawks wasted picks on Oduya and get used to that worthless scrub because Bowman wants to bring him back. Infact dumping Montador a proven vet dman creates 2 holes in Hawks D which goes against your hole point. You would have 2 holes to fill and increase the odds of another terrible player like Oduya

Old
05-22-2012, 12:15 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
A - There are 2 Great FA (Suter and Parise) ,, Outside of that this years FA is weak. 2014 FA is gonna be the big one

B - Montador has been our #5/6 all year ,, He isn't the reason Hawks wasted picks on Oduya and get used to that worthless scrub because Bowman wants to bring him back. Infact dumping Montador a proven vet dman creates 2 holes in Hawks D which goes against your hole point. You would have 2 holes to fill and increase the odds of another terrible player like Oduya
Replace Montador with Suter. That improves the team significantly. Furthermore, with Keith, Seabrook and Suter on the same team, there is less of a need for minutes from others. Keep Hjalmarsson. The above 4 names form the best top 4 in the NHL AINEC. Leddy plays the third pairing and PP, keeps his cost down a bit when his next contract comes up. As soon as Leddy proves he is ready for the top 4, put him with one our No. 1's and shift Hammer to the third pairing. Acquire a cheap vet or someone on an expiring deal to play with Leddy for now. Bring Olsen along as the No. 6.

Old
05-22-2012, 12:21 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
Replace Montador with Suter. That improves the team significantly. Furthermore, with Keith, Seabrook and Suter on the same team, there is less of a need for minutes from others. Keep Hjalmarsson. The above 4 names form the best top 4 in the NHL AINEC. Leddy plays the third pairing and PP, keeps his cost down a bit when his next contract comes up. As soon as Leddy proves he is ready for the top 4, put him with one our No. 1's and shift Hammer to the third pairing. Acquire a cheap vet or someone on an expiring deal to play with Leddy for now. Bring Olsen along as the No. 6.
Hawks are not gonna tie there hands again with another Campbell sized contract on D again ,, Sorry to say its just reality especially with strong chance cap drops when new CBA is agreed too

Suter is a pipedream unless he wants to come at discount ,, Also the Hawks already handed out 2 lifetime contracts (Keith/Hossa) not sure they want to hand out another which is what Suter wants

And the idea of Leddy-Olsen as 3rd pairing is terrifying ,, Both have issues defensively and both need veteran help

Dumping Monty and putting 2 kids together will not help there development

Old
05-22-2012, 12:22 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
And the idea of Leddy-Olsen as 3rd pairing is terrifying ,, Both have issues defensively and both need veteran help

Dumping Monty and putting 2 kids together will not help there development
No, I said bring in a vet on an expiring deal to play with Leddy. Leddy-Olsen or Hammer-Olsen is what we do 2013-14.

Old
05-22-2012, 12:24 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

Quote:
No, I said bring in a vet on an expiring deal to play with Leddy. Leddy-Olsen or Hammer-Olsen is what we do 2013-14.
So you who said you dont want to overpay for someone again want to dump a perfectly good vet dman in Montador and acquire a expiring contract dman who will cost assets?

How does that make sense ,, And what reliable vet dman on expiring contract would be your target? And why would another team move that dman who has good contract situation

Old
05-22-2012, 12:36 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
So you who said you dont want to overpay for someone again want to dump a perfectly good vet dman in Montador and acquire a expiring contract dman who will cost assets?

How does that make sense ,, And what reliable vet dman on expiring contract would be your target? And why would another team move that dman who has good contract situation
Sign either Greg Zanon or Scott Hannan to a cheap 1 year deal.

Old
05-22-2012, 12:42 PM
Sarava

I don't know what to say on this one.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 01:25 PM
u2wojo

So a team that paid 8.75 million to have a couple guys play in Europe and the AHL last year to get money off the books is going to resort to giving away assets to shed cap space when they have ample room to sign Suter if they wanted to already? Monty+Fro < Huet. Now that is not even getting into the possibility that when a new CBA gets done, there may be an amnisty type of buyout available. Further, if Monty is not healthy...you shed his salary via LTIE and if he is healthy...dmen are at a premium in the NHL and his salary is hardly an immovable object. Monty and Fro are still useful NHL players and it is likely someone needing to get to the floor would claim their contracts on waivers if not actually give up a pick or prospect to get them.

While I agree Suter is a pipedream...if you are going to have that dream...you might as well have it be realistic. If for whatever reason Suter had his mind set on calling Chicago home, Hjallmerson would be the guy sent packing in a subsequent deal to free cap space (more salary then Monty) and a role. You can't pay Hjammer 3.5 to be on your third pairing which is all he would be with Suter. In my dream, some combinations of Keith, Seabs, Suter, and Leddy comprise my top 4 (probably Keith-Seabs & Suter-Leddy) with Monty, Olson, & a bargain basement 3rd pairing SAH dman battling for the last 2 spots in the lineup.

Last edited by u2wojo: 05-22-2012 at 01:32 PM.
u2wojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 02:15 PM
Hawkaholic

stupid trade is stupid

Let's give up a 1st round pick, a reliable bottom 6 forward, and a good depth D man for a 2nd round pick.

Not even sure how you came up with this.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 02:17 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

you really made some bad proposals as of late. This is worse than all combined

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2012, 02:19 PM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
you really made some bad proposals as of late. This is worse than all combined
Actually, people have been liking some of them a lot lately. This one is very extreme, for sure. But look at the value of Steve Montador thread. Nobody wants the guy. At least I found a way to get rid of him which was my intended goal. Well, actually, maybe I didn't. Nobody said this is a good deal for Carolina yet and no Carolina fans said yes, lol.