HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

This Kreider Kid...

Old
05-20-2012, 05:36 PM
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Embryo View Post
The Rangers drafting has easily been top 5 in the NHL in the past 8 years or so. Shall we?

Lundqvist
Staal
Callahan
Dubinsky
Girardi
Kreider
Stepan
Undrafted free agent but you forgot Hagelin and Del Zotto.

McDonaghisGod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:38 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroku Saki View Post
You think? He's the real deal. I've been very impressed as a Devils fan.
Your avatar just got me to need out with some shredder clips on YouTube.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 05:53 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossgalov View Post
He was only on the roster because a player got hurt in the division series, which allows you to call up a replacement player in the MLB playoffs. As far as I know, there was no Rangers injury that forced them to call up Kreider (it happened before Dubinsky's injury). Maybe it was the Hagelin suspension. I am not against this, because hypothetically if Brayden Schenn did not play in the reg. season and was called up in the playoffs and did what Kreider is doing right now, I would be thrilled.

This situation seems to me no different than what Ottawa did with Silfverberg and Stone and to a lesser extent what Nashville did with Alex Radulov.
The point is that it's perfectly legal to promote somebody.

It's like a law firm giving a lawyer a landmark case the day after he graduates law school.

It's not recommended, but there's no law against it.

What that poster doesnt realize is that the Rangers had every intention of signing Kreider and playing his this season. hell, they even tried to do it last season. The reason why Kreider didnt play in a regular season game was because his NCAA season was a long one.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:01 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimForTopCheddar View Post
To all these New York fans who are saying that the only reason Roomtemperature is complaining about the Kreider NHL debut in the playoffs is because he's a devil fan. You know he could make the same assumption that you guys don't have a problem with it because you guys are Rangers fans right. I'm just saying, not choosing any sides.
Why would anyone complain about something in the CBA? This isn't the first thread he has complained about this in, he did it during the Rangers/Sens series.

NHRangerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:19 PM
Embryo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
Del Zotto...yeah I am not a big fan of him. I've been watching him his whole career and never was impressed really. McDonagh has been more impressive in much less time. Del Z makes a lot of mistakes and always misses the farging net.

Embryo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 06:21 PM
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!

Quote:
Del Zotto...yeah I am not a big fan of him. I've been watching him his whole career and never was impressed really. McDonagh has been more impressive in much less time. Del Z makes a lot of mistakes and always misses the farging net.
Del Zotto had a fourty point season in the NHL at 21 years old. He was also +20. I'm very impressed.

Old
05-20-2012, 06:22 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 876
Quote:
? MDZ also just had a 40 point season. If McD can score 40 points, he can miss the net all he wants for all I care.

05-20-2012, 06:42 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
? MDZ also just had a 40 point season. If McD can score 40 points, he can miss the net all he wants for all I care.
McD just had a 32 point/+25 season playing 24 minutes a game against the oppositions best players all while only getting :37 PP TOI/GM....that really freakin impressive.

Old
05-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Blazephr

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post

and Anisimov

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 07:32 PM
GAGLine
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turambar View Post
The difference is that Rangers fans are on the same side as the rulebook, whereas those who complain about it are protesting an existing rule, one that applies to every team.

Of course we have no problem with it, but at the same time, there are--or maybe were--disadvantages to it. Slats had to keep Kreider on the reserve list which is limited to number of players, so he actually took a chance by having faith in Kreider AND in the team in keeping a guy who potentially wouldn't even sign a contract on the reserve list, whereas he could have gone out and picked up a different player (like a depth defenseman) at the deadline who would've then taken that slot on the reserve list.

It's a high-risk/high-reward, which we all know Slats loves, and this one just happens to be working out for his team.
I think you've got your terms mixed up. Every player whose rights are owned by a team is on that team's reserve list, whether they are under contract or not. There is no limit to the reserve list. There is a 50 contract limit, and Sather purposely left a contract open for Kreider for this season. So yes, it that regard, Sather took a risk.

GAGLine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:04 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 876
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
McD just had a 32 point/+25 season playing 24 minutes a game against the oppositions best players all while only getting :37 PP TOI/GM....that really freakin impressive.
Honestly I didn't think he had 32. But still, just because McD is better doesn't mean MDZ isn't impressive. I didn't realize our defense is so good that we have to settle for MDZ.

Kane One is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 08:24 PM
McDonaghisGod
Oh, the pain!

Quote:
Honestly I didn't think he had 32. But still, just because McD is better doesn't mean MDZ isn't impressive. I didn't realize our defense is so good that we have to settle for MDZ.
I hope they're both Rangers for a long long time.

Old
05-20-2012, 08:25 PM
TheRightWay

Quote:
How many defensemen 21 or under are even close to being as impressive as McDonagh? Are there even any?

I'm happy with the current version of Del Zotto, add the fact that he's only 21 and that most defenseman don't peak until around age 27, and I'm thrilled to have him. Perhaps he will never become a 1st pairing defenseman but with Girardi, Staal, and McDonagh we don't need him to be. If Del Zotto can continue to round out his defensive game and improve his PP prowess he'll be a very nice 2nd pairing, 1st PP unit player. And those don't exactly grow on trees.

TheRightWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:11 PM
ThereGoesVirtanen
#53...the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRightWay View Post
How many defensemen 21 or under are even close to being as impressive as McDonagh? Are there even any?

I'm happy with the current version of Del Zotto, add the fact that he's only 21 and that most defenseman don't peak until around age 27, and I'm thrilled to have him. Perhaps he will never become a 1st pairing defenseman but with Girardi, Staal, and McDonagh we don't need him to be. If Del Zotto can continue to round out his defensive game and improve his PP prowess he'll be a very nice 2nd pairing, 1st PP unit player. And those don't exactly grow on trees.
Oliver Ekman-Larsson is better.

ThereGoesVirtanen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:17 PM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
I know OEL is younger, but they had the same amount of points. Also considering a poll was done and it was pretty close, that's arguable.

SnowblindNYR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 10:51 PM
KaraLupin
카라

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roomtemperature View Post
Because the player was not with the franchise until after the playoffs. No other league allows players to up and join in the middle of the playoffs with out playing in the regular season. It's just mercenary like to get a fresh player who hasn't been through the AHL or NHL grind
Did you forget we are talking about NCAA players?!

KaraLupin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-20-2012, 11:43 PM
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraLupin View Post
Did you forget we are talking about NCAA players?!
Don't try to make sense with him. Just don't. It's a barren waste land out there.

Rangers Fail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 06:33 AM
Little Ball of Hate

Quote:
The Rangers drafting has easily been top 5 in the NHL in the past 8 years or so. Shall we?

Lundqvist
Staal
Callahan
Dubinsky
Girardi
Kreider
Stepan
Hey you missed Hugh Jessiman.....

Little Ball of Hate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 06:44 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
That wasn't the point of my post, simply pointing out McD's pretty impressive first full season stats...since a previous poster (perhaps you) pointed to MDZ's 40 point season...take it as you wish.

Old
05-21-2012, 06:46 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Hahahaha, OEL is NOT better than McDonagh at this point. McDonagh plays more minutes against better players and is faster, smarter, and has the same offensive output so far. OEL was even on the year, while McDonagh was +25. The ONLY thing OEL has in this debate is that he's two years younger. Both are fantastic young defensemen with very bright futures and tons of room to grow and improve even more. But at this point, McDonagh is clearly the better player, having watched nearly every Coyotes game and Rangers game this year.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 07:01 AM
Kreider Typical
flex

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
idk about that... they're both the same tier, but i wouldn't say he's better right now. i think that he have a higher ceiling being 2 years younger, but idt he's better just yet.

more goals
same points
170 minutes on the pp vs 51
(22m per pt on pp vs 25m per pt)

take away the 8 pp points and he's at 24 points and mcd's 2 and he's at 30.

i'd put mcd ahead of him defensively as well... but OEL has a huge ceiling for his age.(both of them do, but OEL has more potential years to improve)

Kreider Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 08:04 AM
Chico Eats

Quote:
Because the player was not with the franchise until after the playoffs. No other league allows players to up and join in the middle of the playoffs with out playing in the regular season. It's just mercenary like to get a fresh player who hasn't been through the AHL or NHL grind
The only two sports I follow are football and hockey and NFL teams can sign a free agent at any point in the year, including the playoffs.

Chico Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 09:37 AM
x BEUKEBOOM x
Buuuuuuuuuuuk !

Typical HF Thread is typical.

Came in here to read about Kreider and not 7 pgs in it's a McD/MDZ sausage fest.

x BEUKEBOOM x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 09:59 AM
NYRKING30

Quote:

Lundqvist
Staal
Callahan
Dubinsky
Girardi
Kreider
Stepan
The King was drafted in the 7th round (205th Overall) he was more like luckily finding a hidden gem. Scouts had no idea he could become the #1 goalie in the world he is today but yes ever since Gordie Clark and Jeff Gorton got here our drafting really started to get going (MDZ,Stepan,Kreider,Hagelin,Miller,Mcilrath ). The previous scouting team had really only done well from 04-07. The end of Neil Smith's era from 96-99 was a pretty big reason for our 7 year dark era. What do you expect when you screw up 2 straight drafts in a bad way in 98 and 99?

That trend also continued when Sather was hired in June of 2000 until June of 2004. We just struck gold with Lundqvist and that was pretty much it besides Fedor Tyutin. Also in what many consider to be the one of the best draft class to ever come into the NHL in 2003. We drafted Hugh Jessiman (Aka Huge Specimen lmao,6'6 221) with the 12th pick in the 1st round. Passing up the likes of Dustin Brown,Brent Seabrook,Zach Parise,Ryan Getzlaf,Corey Perry, Brent Burns,Ryan Kesler,Mike Richards,BRIAN BOYLE lol,Mark Stuart.

Yeah well that was the state of the Rangers circa 98-04. In hindsight, IMO the Rangers were probably one of the few teams that benefited from the year long lockout as that really made the hierarchy wake up. Technically from 05-08 we were rebuilding while making the playoffs and even getting to the 2nd round as the current core was being developed and some playing.

Quote:
No one has ever given me a good reason why we allow players to go from the NCAA to the playoffs in the same season
Now this Chris Kreider thread sounds like the op that made this is very young. Only on HF you will find people complaining about stuff you wouldn't hear anywhere else. I doubt any of the 30 NHL teams are against this rule. I hope you know that we aren't the first team to do it and we won't be the last this rule wasn't made up post lockout. You only care about it now bc up until this point no college player has ever had the impact this kid is having on this team he is making history. Even devils fans i would expect to know when to take off the homer glasses for a second and be realistic. If the NHL was as big as the NBA, the "linsanity" would have been more David to Kreider's Goliath story. I have watched him for 3 years now and I didn't even see this coming. He is already one of our most important piece on our team as I honestly don't think we are where we are right now without him coming aboard as much has Richards,Cally,Gabby,Stepan are important. I don't need to talk about Hank we all know where he stands.

NYRKING30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2012, 10:30 AM
jskramer83

Quote:
But he didn't have a contract. An RFA is still a team's propert but a free agent and Krieder didn't have to sign thus free agent
I really admire your the way you have stuck to your guns on this issue, kudos to you.

Just curious, would you put a player who was on long term IR in the same boat if he hadn't played a game all season?

Technically he is not taking up a roster spot while on IR, and his salary is not counted against the teams cap space?

Are you more upset with the fact that Kreider wasn't under contract, or the fact he didn't contribute anything to the team in the regular season?

jskramer83 is offline   Reply With Quote