HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Kings' Success & Holmgren

Closed Thread

Old
05-26-2012, 08:29 AM
mirimon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
He's shown the ability to be more than that though IMO. Plus the point totals don't tell the whole story of his game.

There are things he's not that great at, but the things he is good at, he is really good at. Guys who do everything well but nothing great are a lot easier to stop than the guys who are amazing at 3 or 4 things. He's one of only two or three guys on the team I would trust to try to carry the puck through a trap. Not that this makes him a "game breaker" (the original point) but there's not many guys with his combo of size and skill around the corners and half boards, we only really have Jagr who can keep up with him there (maybe Giroux if the person checking him isn't too big). Hartnell applies himself there, but clearly is behind those two in talent.

How many of Voracek's points were power play points? I would look myself but I'm not even sure where to get that info.
11 out of his 49 points came on the PP

Old
05-26-2012, 09:29 AM
mja
Negative Creep

It won't hurt me at all to see the Kings win. Hextall, Gagne, Richards, Carter, and Williams. I loved all of those guys. I usually stop watching hardcore once the flyers are out and I never root for another team. I'll actually watch and root for the kings this year.

As for Jake, I think he's the best player we got in the deals with the exception of Couturier. I'd pass on re-upping Jagr and give his minutes to Jake. He's shown some chemistry with G.

Old
05-26-2012, 09:40 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
He's shown the ability to be more than that though IMO. Plus the point totals don't tell the whole story of his game.

There are things he's not that great at, but the things he is good at, he is really good at. Guys who do everything well but nothing great are a lot easier to stop than the guys who are amazing at 3 or 4 things. He's one of only two or three guys on the team I would trust to try to carry the puck through a trap. Not that this makes him a "game breaker" (the original point) but there's not many guys with his combo of size and skill around the corners and half boards, we only really have Jagr who can keep up with him there (maybe Giroux if the person checking him isn't too big). Hartnell applies himself there, but clearly is behind those two in talent.
So, he's like Max Afinogenov. Someone who looks like he has the ability, but doesn't generally put it together. Voracek has more points than Afinogenov at the same age, and Voracek has Lavy's trust on defense, but he's still likely to top out as a 2nd line player

Old
05-26-2012, 02:16 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
So, he's like Max Afinogenov. Someone who looks like he has the ability, but doesn't generally put it together. Voracek has more points than Afinogenov at the same age, and Voracek has Lavy's trust on defense, but he's still likely to top out as a 2nd line player
So, he's like Max Afinogenov, except he's scored more points than him at the same age and is better defensively?

Old
06-02-2012, 01:15 PM
HereComesTheWayne

I have a lot of hope for the Flyers in the future. Those trades really established a direction, and that direction is the right direction. As long as they extend Giroux, Simmonds, Schenn, Voracek and Couturier, this team could be primed for a Stanley Cup run (or two) in the next 5-10 years. This trade was most definitely a win-win trade for both teams.

Old
06-02-2012, 02:50 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereComesTheWayne View Post
I have a lot of hope for the Flyers in the future. Those trades really established a direction, and that direction is the right direction. As long as they extend Giroux, Simmonds, Schenn, Voracek and Couturier, this team could be primed for a Stanley Cup run (or two) in the next 5-10 years. This trade was most definitely a win-win trade for both teams.
In 5 years Bryz will be 36 and Kimmo will be long retired. They have to sign Giroux long term and big $$$ and they all need to improve their defence. 5 years is too far ahead unless a lot more changes are made.

Old
06-02-2012, 10:28 PM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
but Jeff Carter doesnt deserve a Cup
OT Winner.

Old
06-02-2012, 10:31 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
OT Winner.
Doesn't count. Carter shot it.

Old
06-02-2012, 10:33 PM
DumpyD

Fish chose the wrong day to close the Carter thread. I predict many sour grapes around Philly tomorrow.

Old
06-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

Old
06-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Top Cheese Danish

Richie and Carts are getting their names on the Cup this year, book it.

Old
06-02-2012, 10:36 PM
usualsuspect434

Two more wins til we see Carter and Richards hoisting the cup. It's just starting to sink in for me what that's actually gonna look like.

**it's gonna get real!!

I'm in a glass case of emotion!!!

Old
06-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

I found myself cheering for Richards and Carter more than I expected. I have no reason not to like those guys. I really hope they get the Cup (well, also because I hate the Devils).

I realized tonight that if Gagne had played 5 former Flyers first round picks would have been playing. Zubrus (96), Gagne (1998) Williams (2000), Carter/Richards (2003). Not sure what that means, but that's a lot of first rounders!

Old
06-02-2012, 10:44 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

So happy for Jeff. What a big goal!!

Old
06-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedinSandwich View Post
Richie and Carts are getting their names on the Cup this year, book it.
bold statement, considering you waited until they had a 2-0 lead in the finals to say it.

Old
06-02-2012, 11:02 PM
Puckgenius*

Homgren Regrets trading richards and carter

Old
06-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks View Post
bold statement, considering you waited until they had a 2-0 lead in the finals to say it.
As much as I want the Kings to win, the games have been so close I don't think you can count the Devils out yet.

Old
06-02-2012, 11:20 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpyD View Post
Fish chose the wrong day to close the Carter thread. I predict many sour grapes around Philly tomorrow.
Yeah Carter and Richards are just along for the ride. The Kings were doing this kind of stuff long before they got there.

Old
06-02-2012, 11:22 PM
35NW8ING
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckgenius View Post
Homgren Regrets trading richards and carter
No he doesn't, he even said so himself. I saw it in the newspaper....Homer and Lavy never lie......

Old
06-02-2012, 11:22 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Honestly, I don't feel bad. Good for them. Seriously.

Old
06-02-2012, 11:48 PM
kingz

Thanks, Philly, for getting rid of Carter and Richards. As a long time King fan, since 1967, I appreciate it.

Old
06-02-2012, 11:53 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Well it was going to happen sooner or later. Im kinda glad it's now so its behind us. Richards and Carter have a chance at winning the cup and look to do it. That's cool and good for them. Looking forward to the Flyers doing it next season. We have the team right now and that isnt going to change. We wont bring them both back next season. I know to some it's painful watching two guys who were drafted by the team, raised by them and traded win. You can see on these boards a lot of people were attached to them. I wasn't all over Richards and Carter like some, so that's why I have a neutral view at the moment (I honestly couldn't care less). I liked them as players (well Richards more than Carter) and didn't really have some sort of attachment to them it seems that some here have.

Good for them. Once they win (or if they win), hopefully we can move on from this. Nothing is going to change. Nothing. You can hate the team, Homer, Snider, etc etc, but that wont change the fact that Richards and Carter aren't on the Flyers anymore.

Old
06-02-2012, 11:55 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Well it was going to happen sooner or later. Im kinda glad it's now so its behind us. Richards and Carter have a chance at winning the cup and look to do it. That's cool and good for them. Looking forward to the Flyers doing it next season. We have the team right now and that isnt going to change. We wont bring them both back next season. I know to some it's painful watching two guys who were drafted by the team, raised by them and traded win. You can see on these boards a lot of people were attached to them. I wasn't all over Richards and Carter like some, so that's why I have a neutral view at the moment (I honestly couldn't care less). I liked them as players (well Richards more than Carter) and didn't really have some sort of attachment to them it seems that some here have.

Good for them. Once they win (or if they win), hopefully we can move on from this. Nothing is going to change. Nothing. You can hate the team, Homer, Snider, etc etc, but that wont change the fact that Richards and Carter aren't on the Flyers anymore.
And honestly, I feel it's for the better that they aren't here. If they were still here Giroux wouldn't have the season he had this season (I think). Also young depth like Voracek, Schenn, Simmonds, and Couturier wouldn't be here if we kept Richards and Carter.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:15 AM
Puckgenius*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35NW8ING View Post
No he doesn't, he even said so himself. I saw it in the newspaper....Homer and Lavy never lie......
You win with these guys and kings are proVing it. Holmer gave up too soon on them.

Old
06-03-2012, 12:49 AM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

vCash: 1000
Ok people. I've been Carter and Richards fans since they were in juniors, but let's not get it twisted. First of all when they were on the Flyers and we almost one they were the players who were/should be carrying the team, and we didn't win. On the Kings team right now they're important but secondary players. Big difference. Jeff Carter scored an OT winner tonight. Back in 2010 he whiffed big time on an open net in OT of game 6. He scores there who knows were we are now. They were great important players on the Flyers I don't be grudge them a chance to win a cup with another team, but they don't have the same level of importance on this kings team as they did on the Flyers. If we won the Cup when they were on the Flyers it would be largely be because of them. If the Kings win it's because they were good supporting players.

Closed Thread