HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Jeff Gorton w/Jim Cerny

Old
05-17-2012, 01:59 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Jeff Gorton w/Jim Cerny

Jim Cerny interviewed Jeff Gorton

The Rangers are surprised with how well Chris Kreider has played and handled being a pro straight out of college

Dylan McIlrath and JT Miller. The Rangers brought them up to have them be a part of the playoff experience/atmosphere in New York. McIlrath will compete for a job in camp. He will be in New York or CT. Miller will compete for a job in NY or return to junior. Gorton didn't mention Miller playing in the AHL next season. Gorton said "we have a coaching staff and management staff that likes young players and will give them an opportunity". Are you listening Justin Schultz?

Tim Erixon. Underdeveloped body. Needs strength. Erixon was stronger when he was brought up the 2nd time. Erixon will have a big push to make the team next season.

CBA. Business as usual. Plans the camps. Work on Draft. Re-sign their players. The Rangers are not going to have a big summer signing guys. They have a few group II's and few free agents to deal with. Not a huge summer. The timing is right for us.

Doesn't sound they are going to make any big splashes this summer.

Sort of like the summer of 2010 where they re-signed Prospal and Christensen. Signed Frolov. Took care of Staal and Girardi and had to send Redden to the AHL to free up the cash. They had money coming off the books in 2011 to re-sign their players and add Richards. They don't where the cap will be next season under the new CBA and they need to have the room to re-sign their own players in 2013 and beyond.

http://blueshirtsunited.com/videos/1...-on-1-part-two

Yesterday was part 1

http://blueshirtsunited.com/videos/1...-on-1-part-one

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:07 PM
Giacomin

I think the Rangers will do some minor tinkering the next 2 years then decide what to do with the"Gaborik money". They should be set for the rest of the decade barring something happening to the "King"
This team is good. They are a year ahead of my projected schedule!

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:14 PM
NYR Viper

I would be surprised if the Rangers don't go out and try to upgrade their offense. If they believe McIlrath and Erixon will challenge for jobs and that Sauer will be healthy where does everyone play? Stralman has been good as a bottom-pairing guy. Bickel has played every game since coming up.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:20 PM
Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I would be surprised if the Rangers don't go out and try to upgrade their offense. If they believe McIlrath and Erixon will challenge for jobs and that Sauer will be healthy where does everyone play? Stralman has been good as a bottom-pairing guy. Bickel has played every game since coming up.
They'll definitely try to add a top 6 winger but I don't see it happening through free agency. If they sign Schulz I would expect them to make a splash via trade.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Rangers are in a transitional period. They signed their big names, and now their young assets are coming in and filling the holes. Erixon is NHL ready in every facet aside from his strength. He could be a bottom pairing guy with Stralman next year. Bickel as the #7. McIlrath has an outside shot. Sauer's health is in question. Can the Rangers land Schultz? Too many unknowns to make your bed on July 1st. I'd expect to see the team possibly pick up a straggler in the fall similar to what they did with Feds and Stralman in the event that they need to fill a hole or two.

Could we use some scoring up front? Absolutely, but our money is invested elsewhere. Invested in the big 3. Invested in the young defense. I'd expect a smart hockey trade to be made to upgrade somewhere. No Nash or Ryan, someone on the tier below who still has some upside. Chris Stewart is on the outs in St. Louis. Lots of teams could be looking for a shake up.

If Sauer is healthy, there's nothing wrong with Erixon, McIlrath, and possibly Schultz starting the year in the AHL. Valentenko is gone. There are some holes there. Hartford should be good next year.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:32 PM
NYRSchrute217

I think the Rangers will trade Dubinsky, McIlrath, and some other pieces for a top 6 winger. Who's available though? Ryan, Perry, Getzlaf (last 2 are FA's after this year), Iginla? Maybe sign Ray Whitney, who has a lot left, even at 40.

I also really like Jeff Gorton, I hope he's with this team post-Sather retirement so he can be our next GM.

NYRSchrute217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:44 PM
OverTheCap

I like what the Rangers are doing. Be patient and see if some of the kids can win spots. Don't make a big splash in free agency but wait and see what is available on the trade market.

Also, I'd like to see the Rangers revamp their bottom 6 for next season. Mitchell and Rupp haven't scored since January, and Boyle and Prust are a lot closer to 4th liners than 3rd liners at this point. I don't think Mitchell and Feds will be back, and I like Rupp, but I'm not sure if he needs to be playing every game. A David Jones-type would be nice for the 3rd line.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:45 PM
NikC

There's no way we don't bring in another top six player or at least third line wing to replace Feds/Mitchell.

Maybe they'll feel that a full camp with Krieder along with giving Dubinsky a reprieve after this year will be enough to address top six scoring?

We still can use some improvement via FA.

NikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:52 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I like what the Rangers are doing. Be patient and see if some of the kids can win spots. Don't make a big splash in free agency but wait and see what is available on the trade market.

Also, I'd like to see the Rangers revamp their bottom 6 for next season. Mitchell and Rupp haven't scored since January, and Boyle and Prust are a lot closer to 4th liners than 3rd liners at this point. I don't think Mitchell and Feds will be back, and I like Rupp, but I'm not sure if he needs to be playing every game. A David Jones-type would be nice for the 3rd line.
Was it the WC last time Rupp scored? Brutal.

This is why it's important to get another top 6 forward. It puts Kreider on the second line.
Moves Hagelin to the 3rd line. That's an improvement alone.

Hagelin-Anisimov-???
Prust-Boyle-Rupp

BroadwayBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:56 PM
XLJ

I think they need to upgrade there offense but it doesn't have to be a top line player. Just make a good trade where you can get someone to give you Prospal type of production.

If we can find a player like that I think it will make our top 9 much deeper. No more players like Boyle and Prust playing on the third line.

Hagelin-Richards-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-XXX
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 02:57 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Why are people in such a hurry to get Hagelin out of the top-six? Kid was on a 50 point pace in his rookie year.

Old
05-17-2012, 03:46 PM
Cliffy1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Why are people in such a hurry to get Hagelin out of the top-six? Kid was on a 50 point pace in his rookie year.
I have a Hags jersey, so I am a fan.

I don't see him as a top six player though and Im not sure the coaching staff does either. There aren't many top line players in the league who never see PP time. Mitchell gets PP time over Hagelin. His presence on that line is simply because his speed fits with gabby and opens things up and they really have very little pure speed up front. 0 goals in 16 playoff games doesn't tell the whole story, but I think it supports what I am saying.

AA, Dubi, Hagelin is a nice third line....All three are capable of moving up to the top 6 in a pinch if someone is hurt or underperfoming, but they should be 3rd line if you are clicking on all cyclinders.

Cliffy1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:49 PM
McDonaghisGod
Why not us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy1814 View Post

I don't see him as a top six player though and Im not sure the coaching staff does either. There aren't many top line players in the league who never see PP time. Mitchell gets PP time over Hagelin. His presence on that line is simply because his speed fits with gabby and opens things up and they really have very little pure speed up front. 0 goals in 16 playoff games doesn't tell the whole story, but I think it supports what I am saying.

AA, Dubi, Hagelin is a nice third line....All three are capable of moving up to the top 6 in a pinch if someone is hurt or underperfoming, but they should be 3rd line if you are clicking on all cyclinders.
From what he's shown so far, Hagelin does not have the hands to be a top six player.

McDonaghisGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 03:56 PM
ck20

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeetchisGod View Post
From what he's shown so far, Hagelin does not have the hands to be a top six player.
Your crystal ball must be amazing to predict his career based on 77 NHL games.

ck20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:08 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

If we can sign Suter...then I'd be looking at some big trades to really put this team over the top:

Gaborik for Nash (straight up. Nash doesn't want to be there. Best deal they can get. Salary works)
Del Zotto, Miller, McIlrath, Thomas, 2nd for Marty St. Louis

Nash Richards St. Louis <-- best line in the league?
Hagelin Stepan Kreider <-- two of the fastest players in the league
Dubinsky Anisimov Callahan <-- best third line in the league?
Rupp Boyle Prust
Zuccarello

Staal Suter
McDonagh Girardi
Erixon Stralman
Sauer?

Lundqvist
Biron

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Trxjw
Bored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffy1814 View Post

I have a hard time believing that the coaches don't feel he's a top-six player when he's been attached to Richards and Gaborik for the better part of the last 3 months. Is he a scoring forward? Too early to say for sure, but building a team isn't about putting your most skilled players on your top line and rolling with it. Holmstrom was a staple with Datsyuk and Zetterberg for a long time. Kunitz has been riding shotgun with Malkin and Neal, and Crosby before that.

If we can add the depth to have Hagelin on the 3rd line, that's wonderful, but right now he's doing everything but scoring in that spot; and until the playoffs started, he was performing just fine in the scoring department as well.

Old
05-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Not all top 6 players have great hands.

However, no player in the league has Hagelin's speed and ability to USE that speed every shift in all situations.

Hagelin does not have bad hands. They seem average at worst. He's been more of a passer so far, but I think part of that has to do with the fact that he's been playing with two stars so he feels obligated to defer to them.

He definitely has the brain and the legs to be a top 6 player. There is no question in my mind. The only question is whether he settles in as a very good second line player or blossoms into a real star. I honestly see him continuing to improve in a big way every year and becoming kind of a faster Zetterberg-ish player. Clutch, smart, skilled. I'm sure many will think that's premature and it is, but that's what I see from him in the coming years. He's special.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:33 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Jim Cerny interviewed Jeff Gorton

The Rangers are surprised with how well Chris Kreider has played and handled being a pro straight out of college

Dylan McIlrath and JT Miller. The Rangers brought them up to have them be a part of the playoff experience/atmosphere in New York. McIlrath will compete for a job in camp. He will be in New York or CT. Miller will compete for a job in NY or return to junior. Gorton didn't mention Miller playing in the AHL next season. Gorton said "we have a coaching staff and management staff that likes young players and will give them an opportunity". Are you listening Justin Schultz?

Tim Erixon. Underdeveloped body. Needs strength. Erixon was stronger when he was brought up the 2nd time. Erixon will have a big push to make the team next season.

CBA. Business as usual. Plans the camps. Work on Draft. Re-sign their players. The Rangers are not going to have a big summer signing guys. They have a few group II's and few free agents to deal with. Not a huge summer. The timing is right for us.

Doesn't sound they are going to make any big splashes this summer.

Sort of like the summer of 2010 where they re-signed Prospal and Christensen. Signed Frolov. Took care of Staal and Girardi and had to send Redden to the AHL to free up the cash. They had money coming off the books in 2011 to re-sign their players and add Richards. They don't where the cap will be next season under the new CBA and they need to have the room to re-sign their own players in 2013 and beyond.

http://blueshirtsunited.com/videos/1...-on-1-part-two

Yesterday was part 1

http://blueshirtsunited.com/videos/1...-on-1-part-one

Fine with me. I like where this team is right now. Trxjw is right.. The big names have been signed. Now its time for the young players the organization has developed to fill the remaining holes. Plus, since everything points to the salary at best staying where it is, I'm not seeing the available cap space to pursue a big ticket player, even if Dubinsky was sent away. I think a lot of fans pining for another big name are going to be disappointed this off-season.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 04:57 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
If we can sign Suter...then I'd be looking at some big trades to really put this team over the top:
With what money are we signign Suter? And why are we signign another defenseman?
Quote:
Gaborik for Nash (straight up. Nash doesn't want to be there. Best deal they can get. Salary works)
Didn't we already cover nash's crushing cap hit in spades already?
Quote:
Really? Really? REALLY? All of that for a 37 year old? Let's bring back the dark years.....

True Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 05:05 PM
BrandNewDream

Quote:
I said the SAME THING about Cally about 2 years ago. He really showed me!

Will vs. Skill. When there's even ENOUGH skill there, but not bounds of it (but both Cally and Hags are plenty skilled), will can still take over and take guys places. I'm fine with waiting on Hagelin and seeing where he goes.

BrandNewDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 05:27 PM
vbman09

vCash: 100
Hags does all the little things to help that line get some space and time. Can't take him off unless you replace him with someone with similar skills. Hags can put up pts, he didnt play the whole season.

vbman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 05:34 PM
nyrpassion
Vetted.

Quote:
duuuuuuuudeeee

nyrpassion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 06:23 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Only big move id make is signing Parise and then quickly trading Gaborik right after.

A guy who clearly doesn't want to commit to the philosophy here. Swap him for one who fits the philosophy perfectly.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 06:54 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:

Nash Richards St. Louis <-- best line in the league?
Hagelin Stepan Kreider <-- two of the fastest players in the league
Dubinsky Anisimov Callahan <-- best third line in the league?
Rupp Boyle Prust
Zuccarello

Staal Suter
McDonagh Girardi
Erixon Stralman
Sauer?

Lundqvist
Biron
Brutal*

*for all values of Brutal

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-17-2012, 07:15 PM
sfox7076

I would like to see Dubi play with Kreider and Callahan instead of Stepan in the future. That line could hold the puck in for hours and score. I know Dubinsky isn't a true center anymore, but on that line, why not? It gives you one fast guy on the ice at all times (except 4th line). It would look like this:

Stepan - Richards - Gaborik
Kreider - Dubinsky - Cally
Hagelin-Stepan-Anisimov
Prust - Rupp - Boyle

sfox7076 is offline   Reply With Quote